As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are my shoes supposed to fit like this?

DarmakDarmak RAGEvympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
My wife bought me a pair of Stacy Adams shoes for my birthday and they fit well except they're kind of loose around the ankle. I'm not familiar with these sorts of shoes and so I didn't know if that's normal or if we should exchange them for a different size. The ones I got are a size 11.5 which is about what I usually wear for most other shoes. I took a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about:
9wFmx1v.jpg

I posted this same thing on a Reddit subforum but I thought I'd also ask here if y'all had any advice. If it matters my instep is about where the middle eyelets are and my big toe is about an inch from the tip of the shoe. It's very snug everywhere except at the ankle.

JtgVX0H.png

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    that looks like a ticket to a sore heel. unless they are really comfortable to actually walk in, i'd exchange them

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Well, the longer I wear them the tighter everything but the ankle felt. If I went down a smaller size I don't think I could get my feet into them. I might end up having her just exchange them for an entirely different shoe, which would be sad since these were a gift.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    You can buy inserts that can be put in to pad the back of the heel and make it a snug fit. I've had fitting problems similar to that with dress shoes before and the inserts have worked for me.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You can buy inserts that can be put in to pad the back of the heel and make it a snug fit. I've had fitting problems similar to that with dress shoes before and the inserts have worked for me.

The heel is nice and snug, it's above the heel at the ankle where it's loose.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Maybe you just have skinny ankles?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    if the heel itself is snug, it's probably fine. you don't want any of the insole poking/pinching at your foot, and you don't want the shoe to be loose at the bottom/sides of your feet. from the picture I would have thought that the back of your heel was able to slide a few centimeters back... if that's not the case, the shoe is probably fine.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    as long as your heel isnt flopping around you are find, the top part is not really doing anything.

maybe somethign other than white tube socks will work

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    as long as your heel isnt flopping around you are find, the top part is not really doing anything.

maybe somethign other than white tube socks will work

Heh, the socks were what I had handy just to try the shoes on. :P

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    It sounds like you need to go down a half to full size and look for a wide version of the shoe. I have this problem myself and if I stick to normal sizes I have to go up an extra half size but then the shoe is loose in the ankle and toes. If I stick to wide sizes at the correct shoe size the ankle and everything else is snug without being tight. It means my shoe selection is slightly limited, but I get a better fit and oh my god is that important.

Look for a size that has W or E on the end, it means it is a slightly wider shoe than the normal size. See this for more shoe size info