As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghosts of Electric [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I need to go get an xray of my foot because it is broken but I don't want to, maybe I'll just keep walking on it and it'll heal perfectly and not weird and misaligned at all.

this plan is flawless i love it

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I need to go get an xray of my foot because it is broken but I don't want to, maybe I'll just keep walking on it and it'll heal perfectly and not weird and misaligned at all.

This seems wise.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

This will end totally fine.

• Options
    scheck & neck triple snark totp hi5

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    The Obama interview on Marc Marin felt surprisingly insightful and candid

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    japan wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    does anyone have any idea why lump-sum insurance premiums are such a vast discount? iirc you're legally entitled to a prorated refund if you cancel so what's the deal? i could see a buck or two to save them credit card merchant fees but i'm literally savings 54 dollars today by paying for a year of renters' insurance rather than 12 individual payments

Insurance companies make money not by paying out less than they take in premiums (in fact they tend to aim to take in only as much as they pay out because that makes them competitive on price) but by investing the premium they hold less their existing liabilities.

If you pay in instalments what's actually happening is that they are borrowing the full amount of the premium when you take the insurance out and then charging you for the repayments on that loan.

So, for a given premium that they want to take the cost to the policyholder is either the bare premium as a lump sum, or the total cost of borrowing that amount over the policy term repaid in instalments.

huh, that's a great explanation i never considered

from my end it's a no brainer, though, right? if x is my lump sum payment and y is my monthly payment without a lump sum and z is my total cost via monthly payments, there is no way that investing z - y in month 1 and z - 2y in month 2 etc etc is going to net me more than x.

Organichu on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    21stCentury plus other people I'm sure

bought Transistor sunday. Played it last night.

That game is fucking fantastic.

Yesssssss

GOTY 2014 Hands down Pantas down.

• Options
    The Obama interview on Marc Marin felt surprisingly insightful and candid

If there's one thing Obama can do it's think.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    zUTqXrX.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://abc13.com/news/community-finds-kkk-flyers-with-candy-in-front-yards/800954/

"Would you like to join the Ku Klux Klan?"
    "Hell no."
    "What if we sweetened the deal a little? Eh? Eh?"

• Options
    zUTqXrX.jpg

Goatee, scheck.

The extra e is for ecstasy.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Inside story of Best of Both Worlds. @Jacobkosh @Startreknerds they got the cast and crew together for the 25th anniversary to talk about the cliffhanger.

Bogart on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    does anyone have any idea why lump-sum insurance premiums are such a vast discount? iirc you're legally entitled to a prorated refund if you cancel so what's the deal? i could see a buck or two to save them credit card merchant fees but i'm literally savings 54 dollars today by paying for a year of renters' insurance rather than 12 individual payments

Insurance companies make money not by paying out less than they take in premiums (in fact they tend to aim to take in only as much as they pay out because that makes them competitive on price) but by investing the premium they hold less their existing liabilities.

If you pay in instalments what's actually happening is that they are borrowing the full amount of the premium when you take the insurance out and then charging you for the repayments on that loan.

So, for a given premium that they want to take the cost to the policyholder is either the bare premium as a lump sum, or the total cost of borrowing that amount over the policy term repaid in instalments.

huh, that's a great explanation i never considered

from my end it's a no brainer, though, right? if x is my lump sum payment and y is my monthly payment without a lump sum and z is my total cost via monthly payments, there is no way that investing z - y in month 1 and z - 2y in month 2 etc etc is going to net me more than x.

For you as a consumer it is basically the difference between buying something outright and buying something on credit. In fact a lot of the time monthly insurance premiums in the UK are explicitly presented as credit agreements of that type.

So you're pretty much always better off paying as a lump sum, if able.

• Options
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    sample:
    mEf4fSdh.jpg

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    page 100

animes assemble

• Options
    Let' post animes.

Geth shall prevent this.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Inside story of Best of Both Worlds. @Jacobkosh @Startreknerds they got the cast and crew together for the 25th anniversary to talk about the cliffhanger.

omgggg

@Thomamelas @MrAnthropy @Elldren @Mazzyx @RMS Oceanic @Regina Fong @AManFromEarth @Feral etc etc

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bill O'Reilly actually said that.

• Options
    So we finally know the Doctor's real name.

Shia...

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    So we finally know the Doctor's real name.

Shia...

Actual Time Trav'ler, Shia Lebeouf.

• Options

your faith is justified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaHrGwlWvk

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The CIA Guy from DKR meme kinda passed me by.

• Options

your faith is justified

"Faith"

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://abc13.com/news/community-finds-kkk-flyers-with-candy-in-front-yards/800954/

"Would you like to join the Ku Klux Klan?"
    "Hell no."
    "What if we sweetened the deal a little? Eh? Eh?"

is the KKK actually an illegal organisation?

is it a crime to be a member?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Geth pick me and i'll post an ascii butt in the next OP

| ) )

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

If I were Shia lebeouf I would buy all of these and have a hall of shias

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

your faith is justified

Any sane network would have fired him for that.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Geth pick me and i'll post an ascii butt in the next OP

| ) )

Geth, Pick me and i won't post a butt, saving us all some dignity.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    My favorite part of Best of Both Worlds was in part 2 where Borgard is just wandering around the Enterprise calmly informing each individual crew member how they will be assimilated. It was just very unintentionally (or maybe intentionally?) hilarious.

Neco on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Jake you should also check out the Diana Rigg Random Roles article on the AV Club. It is goddamn delightful.

At one point she says 'younglings'.

Bogart on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.9

@21stCentury will create the new thread
    @Mazzyx is backup

This discussion has been closed.