Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Ghosts of Electric [chat]

19495969798100»

Posts

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I need to go get an xray of my foot because it is broken but I don't want to, maybe I'll just keep walking on it and it'll heal perfectly and not weird and misaligned at all.

    this plan is flawless i love it

    obF2Wuw.png
    Neco
  • NecoNeco regular Registered User regular
    I need to go get an xray of my foot because it is broken but I don't want to, maybe I'll just keep walking on it and it'll heal perfectly and not weird and misaligned at all.

    This seems wise.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    I need to go get an xray of my foot because it is broken but I don't want to, maybe I'll just keep walking on it and it'll heal perfectly and not weird and misaligned at all.

    This will end totally fine.

    Neco
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    scheck & neck triple snark totp hi5

    surrealitycheckNeco
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    The Obama interview on Marc Marin felt surprisingly insightful and candid

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
    Mazzyx815165
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    japan wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    does anyone have any idea why lump-sum insurance premiums are such a vast discount? iirc you're legally entitled to a prorated refund if you cancel so what's the deal? i could see a buck or two to save them credit card merchant fees but i'm literally savings 54 dollars today by paying for a year of renters' insurance rather than 12 individual payments

    Insurance companies make money not by paying out less than they take in premiums (in fact they tend to aim to take in only as much as they pay out because that makes them competitive on price) but by investing the premium they hold less their existing liabilities.

    If you pay in instalments what's actually happening is that they are borrowing the full amount of the premium when you take the insurance out and then charging you for the repayments on that loan.

    So, for a given premium that they want to take the cost to the policyholder is either the bare premium as a lump sum, or the total cost of borrowing that amount over the policy term repaid in instalments.

    huh, that's a great explanation i never considered

    from my end it's a no brainer, though, right? if x is my lump sum payment and y is my monthly payment without a lump sum and z is my total cost via monthly payments, there is no way that investing z - y in month 1 and z - 2y in month 2 etc etc is going to net me more than x.

    Organichu on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    21stCentury plus other people I'm sure

    bought Transistor sunday. Played it last night.

    That game is fucking fantastic.

    Yesssssss

    GOTY 2014 Hands down Pantas down.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    The Obama interview on Marc Marin felt surprisingly insightful and candid

    If there's one thing Obama can do it's think.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    zUTqXrX.jpg

    obF2Wuw.png
    AManFromEarthdescDonkey KongRMS OceanicNecoMrMisterHakkekage
  • emnmnmeemnmnme regular Registered User regular
    http://abc13.com/news/community-finds-kkk-flyers-with-candy-in-front-yards/800954/

    "Would you like to join the Ku Klux Klan?"
    "Hell no."
    "What if we sweetened the deal a little? Eh? Eh?"

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    zUTqXrX.jpg

    Goatee, scheck.

    The extra e is for ecstasy.

  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Inside story of Best of Both Worlds. @Jacobkosh @Startreknerds they got the cast and crew together for the 25th anniversary to talk about the cliffhanger.

    Bogart on
    RMS OceanicJacobkoshRiemannLives
  • japanjapan regular Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    does anyone have any idea why lump-sum insurance premiums are such a vast discount? iirc you're legally entitled to a prorated refund if you cancel so what's the deal? i could see a buck or two to save them credit card merchant fees but i'm literally savings 54 dollars today by paying for a year of renters' insurance rather than 12 individual payments

    Insurance companies make money not by paying out less than they take in premiums (in fact they tend to aim to take in only as much as they pay out because that makes them competitive on price) but by investing the premium they hold less their existing liabilities.

    If you pay in instalments what's actually happening is that they are borrowing the full amount of the premium when you take the insurance out and then charging you for the repayments on that loan.

    So, for a given premium that they want to take the cost to the policyholder is either the bare premium as a lump sum, or the total cost of borrowing that amount over the policy term repaid in instalments.

    huh, that's a great explanation i never considered

    from my end it's a no brainer, though, right? if x is my lump sum payment and y is my monthly payment without a lump sum and z is my total cost via monthly payments, there is no way that investing z - y in month 1 and z - 2y in month 2 etc etc is going to net me more than x.

    For you as a consumer it is basically the difference between buying something outright and buying something on credit. In fact a lot of the time monthly insurance premiums in the UK are explicitly presented as credit agreements of that type.

    So you're pretty much always better off paying as a lump sum, if able.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    sample:
    mEf4fSdh.jpg

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    RMS Oceanic
  • OrphaneOrphane There will be Light. Registered User regular
    page 100

    animes assemble

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    Let' post animes.

    Geth shall prevent this.

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT regular Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bill O'Reilly actually said that.

    RMS Oceanic21stCenturysurrealitycheck
  • NecoNeco regular Registered User regular
    So we finally know the Doctor's real name.

    Shia...

    RMS OceanicDelmain
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    So we finally know the Doctor's real name.

    Shia...

    Actual Time Trav'ler, Shia Lebeouf.

    Feral
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bill O'Reilly actually said that.

    your faith is justified

    obF2Wuw.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    The CIA Guy from DKR meme kinda passed me by.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic regular Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bill O'Reilly actually said that.

    your faith is justified


    "Faith"

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://abc13.com/news/community-finds-kkk-flyers-with-candy-in-front-yards/800954/

    "Would you like to join the Ku Klux Klan?"
    "Hell no."
    "What if we sweetened the deal a little? Eh? Eh?"

    is the KKK actually an illegal organisation?

    is it a crime to be a member?

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • descdesc the '87 stick up kids Registered User regular
    Geth pick me and i'll post an ascii butt in the next OP

    | ) )

    surrealitycheck
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

    If I were Shia lebeouf I would buy all of these and have a hall of shias

    Casual Eddy on
    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
    21stCenturysurrealitycheckMrMisterZampanov
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT regular Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bill O'Reilly actually said that.

    your faith is justified


    Any sane network would have fired him for that.

    RMS OceanicSo It Goes
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Geth pick me and i'll post an ascii butt in the next OP

    | ) )

    Geth, Pick me and i won't post a butt, saving us all some dignity.

    Geth
  • NecoNeco regular Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My favorite part of Best of Both Worlds was in part 2 where Borgard is just wandering around the Enterprise calmly informing each individual crew member how they will be assimilated. It was just very unintentionally (or maybe intentionally?) hilarious.

    Neco on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Jake you should also check out the Diana Rigg Random Roles article on the AV Club. It is goddamn delightful.

    At one point she says 'younglings'.

    Bogart on
    Delmainsurrealitycheck
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.9

    @21stCentury will create the new thread
    @Mazzyx is backup

This discussion has been closed.