As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm only gonna say one thing about this whole Nintendo thing:

amiibo is always lower-case no matter what context or placement in the statement.

Also the plural of amiibo is amiibo; they're not Legos, they're Lego bricks; and they're not copiers, they're MFDs.

And it's not velcro, it's hook and loop fastener.

But why should amiibo always be lowercase? What's the corporate reasoning here?

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    But why should amiibo always be lowercase? What's the corporate reasoning here?

Amiibo with a capital A is a registered trademark of Amiibo Studios and Publishing, makers of fine erotica. Nintendo wishes to avoid brand confusion.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'd like to point out how big a deal that is:

Brand new IP.
    Genre Nintendo's never really done before.
    Console with a smaller install base.
    ONLINE game.

To sell 1 mil worldwide is mind blowing. To do it in less than a month is insane.

I was expecting it to sell 1 million in a couple of months maybe. But in 3 weeks? That's just amazing.

Thank god that occasionally, people apparently still do buy innovative games and not just the one thousandth iteration of Assassin's Creed that Ubisoft is shitting out every year.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    They day I recognize a lowercase Amiibo is the day rainbows shoot out of my ass.

Also, I just started playing Darksiders 2 on the Wii U, and they don't have a target lock toggle. You have to hold the button down. That's pretty shit. Otherwise, I am enjoying the game so far... except it seems empty. Needs more enemies in the big ass open field.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    F7AM9sl.jpg?1

Let's get woolly, bitches.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    There is no plural of amiibo because you'll never find more than one of anything you want.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Wait what? Every game that includes Miiverse stuff is opt-in that I can recall and if you never interact with it that's basically as though it doesn't exist

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always assumed there was no way to turn off all the annoying messages from random people I don't care about in the WiiU's home menu and in the Splatoon lobby.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    F7AM9sl.jpg?1

Let's get woolly, bitches.
    Maz you are a horrible monster.

So frikkin jealous

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Wait what? Every game that includes Miiverse stuff is opt-in that I can recall and if you never interact with it that's basically as though it doesn't exist

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always assumed there was no way to turn off all the annoying messages from random people I don't care about in the WiiU's home menu and in the Splatoon lobby.

If you go into Parental Controls, you can disable Miiverse 100%. They won't even show up in the Plaza, instead there are fake Mii's that show up and give pointers on how to use the Wii U.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

If you go into Parental Controls, you can disable Miiverse 100%. They won't even show up in the Plaza, instead there are fake Mii's that show up and give pointers on how to use the Wii U.

Really?
    Most of the time when I boot it up I guess where they are running to
    most of the time I am wrong
    I don't see the messages that often as I wait for it and then boot up the game I want to play

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hey, folks

In Kirby and the Rainbow Curse it looks like a second player can play with that other character in a "traditional" Kirby game style. Is that possible to do in Single player if you don't want to do the stylus gameplay?

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I pre-ordered Wooly World and Mario Maker through Best Buy so that I can get that pin set.

Watch them reveal the amiibo package as soon as the pin deal ends. :(

Maybe I should cancel those just in case and just pre-order two other games. Not sure what I want to do. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    , just as Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is arguably the best DKC title ever

Gotta disagree on this one. Tropical Freeze is suuuuper boring...

It's a contender for greatest 2D sidescrolling platformer of all time, let alone the DKC series.

Does it suddenly become amazing after world 3? Because so far, it's been a slog. I enjoyed DKCR wayyyy more. The original SNES game is better too, IMO. Downloaded that recently and had more fun with that than Tropical Freeze.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    , just as Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is arguably the best DKC title ever

Gotta disagree on this one. Tropical Freeze is suuuuper boring...

It's a contender for greatest 2D sidescrolling platformer of all time, let alone the DKC series.

Does it suddenly become amazing after world 3? Because so far, it's been a slog. I enjoyed DKCR wayyyy more. The original SNES game is better too, IMO. Downloaded that recently and had more fun with that than Tropical Freeze.

Not really no. It's just like Prime 2. Competent but poorly balanced.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I think people underestimate the market's general love of Nintendo games and franchises, even from those consumers who do not buy Nintendo home consoles. If the PS4 and Xbox crowd could have their Mario Kart on the same console as their Halos and Fallouts, I think they'd spring for it. Nintendo as a company offers a unique experience in gaming, and consumers like that even if some of them aren't willing to shell out 400 bucks just to play them on Nintendo's own console. The sales of the 3DS are testament to that, I'd say-- many 3DS owners have the competing HD consoles at home, but still have the 3DS for that unique Nintendo flavor.

Very late, but I'm not sure they would. Remember that Sonic Colors sold really well on Wii, and Sonic Generations -- which was like Colors, only better -- sold horribly on the 360 and PS3. Rayman sold worse on the other consoles than it did on the Wii machines too. There have been so little "teh kiddy" games on those machines it seems their core audiences have trained themselves to completely ignore anything more cartoony than Borderlands. Nintendo might have an uphill struggle.

And the 3DS is selling decently, but it's lagging far behind all of Nintendo's other portables if NPD leaks are to be believed. Nintendo themselves were unnerved enough about its sales to release a new 3DS... which has also petered out after a good couple of first months. Nintendo flavor hasn't been enough to keep much of portable gaming from going to smartphones and tablets. Which is also why Nintendo's now making mobile stuff after years of emphatically saying no.

I dig Nintendo, but it's going to be tricky navigating things going forward.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm only gonna say one thing about this whole Nintendo thing:

amiibo is always lower-case no matter what context or placement in the statement.

Also the plural of amiibo is amiibo; they're not Legos, they're Lego bricks; and they're not copiers, they're MFDs.

legos are p awesome

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Oh, neat. When you 100% a world in Yoshi's Woolly World, you unlock an extra level. The one I unlocked in world 1 was really tough - like, about as difficult as it gets in 2D platformers. I'm kinda scared of the later levels now..

At least I managed to collect all Wonder Wools on my first time through it and unlocked the Wii U design for Yoshi.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Hey, folks

In Kirby and the Rainbow Curse it looks like a second player can play with that other character in a "traditional" Kirby game style. Is that possible to do in Single player if you don't want to do the stylus gameplay?

I haven't played it, but I'm 99% certain that singleplayer is stylus only.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh, neat. When you 100% a world in Yoshi's Woolly World, you unlock an extra level. The one I unlocked in world 1 was really tough - like, about as difficult as it gets in 2D platformers. I'm kinda scared of the later levels now..

At least I managed to collect all Wonder Wools on my first time through it and unlocked the Wii U design for Yoshi.

Cool, glad that tradition is carrying on.

How does Woolly World compare to the original Yoshi's Island so far?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Cool, glad that tradition is carrying on.

How does Woolly World compare to the original Yoshi's Island so far?

I've only played the first world, but so far there seems to be a greater focus on exploration than platforming. The levels are also a lot longer compared to Yoshi's Island.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @Molybdenum that video made my whole day. The guy's rage was totally justifiable.

Also I don't have a single Amiibo nor did I have plans to get any. I'm not much of a figure sort of fellow. The most I've ever had is 2 of the characters from Castle Crashers. But holy CRAP is that yarn Yoshi one adorable.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Voth wrote: »
    Meh, if third parties complain about how they can't compete with Nintendo on Nintendo's platforms just imagine how they'd fair on another console. Who would they have left to blame then?

I think the last time that complaint was expressed was in like the Game Cube era. It was just an excuse like all the rest. "Oh on the Wii we have to make a little test game to see if it sells well enough to make an actual good game for it." "Oh on Wii U we're going to put out some ports and see if anybody bites and if nobody wants a super late expensive version of Mass Effect 3 then we just won't bother with the console."

Remember when Resident Evil 4 came out for Wii? It was two years after the initial release, sold nearly two million units, and was hailed by many as the best version of the best game in the series?

That was admittedly strange when held against other examples you cite. (Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition being another, btw.)

Even with that success, what did Capcom do? Did they release a downgrade of RE5? Nope. Did they release a unique entry that followed the template set by RE4? Of course not.

Instead, they released Zapper-style remakes of earlier games (minus 4), with some new content in Darkside Chronicles, and rereleases of their GameCube updates of earlier titles.

Now, while the Chronicles games were great for me personally (I love light gun games and didn't care for the gameplay in earlier entries), I still recognize how those fans who bought and supported RE4 for Wii felt cheated when there was little excuse for that.

(Much as I care little for FF7 personally, but recognize the magnitude of Sony's announcement for the game's fans.)

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    Resident Evil also released at $30 rather than $60, and was the best version of the best Resident Evil game in years which I'm sure helped move it off the shelves.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    What was the reason behind having Yoshi launch 4 months later in the US

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Probably think it will sell better later in the year. Summer has traditionally been a dry period for games.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yep, the answer's either on their marketing calendar or their projected sales calendar.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Or they delayed it so they could make enough amiibo oh what am I saying ha ha ha.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I feel like I'm alone, but I don't really want a gimmick for Nintendo's next console; just give it some solid power and let the games speak for themselves. Oh, and make sure they advertise the fucker properly.

I would be sad if there was no Nintendo hardware division doing its crazy thing. I actually still think the pointer function of the wiimote is genius, as is separating the nunchuck so both hands can move. As often with Nintendo, that genius is accompanied by inexcusably stupid decisions, like making the wiimote look like, well, a remote. Aside from being a ridiculously uncomfortable, the lack of a second joystick is terrible. If you could move and turn independently AND still aim at whatever you wanted on the screen, Nintendo consoles would be hands down the best choices for FPSes outside PC. Instead, we got bounding boxes that you have to drag to every time you want to turn. There are a lot of examples of decisions like this that wind up undermining the entire point. No ladder system in SB comes to mind - this in the age of e-sports.

Basically I think they need a lot of fresh blood and outside perspectives, because for all the radical changes they try to introduce with each new console, in many ways they act incredibly hidebound. In the meantime Nintendo, if you are contemplating some super cool new idea for your next console, kindly ask yourselves this question: are we going to develop a major game around this feature which is not just a collection of minigames? I mean, a game that would not exist in a recognizable form without that feature? If not, maybe step away from the whiteboard, because no one else will do it either.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    zakkiel wrote: »
    I feel like I'm alone, but I don't really want a gimmick for Nintendo's next console; just give it some solid power and let the games speak for themselves. Oh, and make sure they advertise the fucker properly.

I would be sad if there was no Nintendo hardware division doing its crazy thing. I actually still think the pointer function of the wiimote is genius, as is separating the nunchuck so both hands can move. As often with Nintendo, that genius is accompanied by inexcusably stupid decisions, like making the wiimote look like, well, a remote. Aside from being a ridiculously uncomfortable, the lack of a second joystick is terrible. If you could move and turn independently AND still aim at whatever you wanted on the screen, Nintendo consoles would be hands down the best choices for FPSes outside PC. Instead, we got bounding boxes that you have to drag to every time you want to turn. There are a lot of examples of decisions like this that wind up undermining the entire point. No ladder system in SB comes to mind - this in the age of e-sports.

Basically I think they need a lot of fresh blood and outside perspectives, because for all the radical changes they try to introduce with each new console, in many ways they act incredibly hidebound. In the meantime Nintendo, if you are contemplating some super cool new idea for your next console, kindly ask yourselves this question: are we going to develop a major game around this feature which is not just a collection of minigames? I mean, a game that would not exist in a recognizable form without that feature? If not, maybe step away from the whiteboard, because no one else will do it either.

Part of Nintendo's problem isn't that they have the wrong opinion on software features, but that they have no opinion. There's no ladder in Smash because Sakurai doesn't buy into that stuff, while Mario Kart's included a consistent VR for the past three games and Splatoon has outright ranked battles. Some producers in Nintendo EAD clearly like online battle records, Sakurai doesn't, Nintendo isn't going to step in and mandate features.

They don't do this for third party games, either, which helps lead to the missing features in so many multiplats (back when we actually got them)

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Someone just pointed this out on the Wii U subreddit, so excuse me if I'm massively late on this one.

WK7OQcT.png

tnAjYpF.png

I'm beginning to think we're not going to see Project Cars releasing on the Wii U.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    zakkiel wrote: »

Part of Nintendo's problem isn't that they have the wrong opinion on software features, but that they have no opinion. There's no ladder in Smash because Sakurai doesn't buy into that stuff, while Mario Kart's included a consistent VR for the past three games and Splatoon has outright ranked battles. Some producers in Nintendo EAD clearly like online battle records, Sakurai doesn't, Nintendo isn't going to step in and mandate features.

They don't do this for third party games, either, which helps lead to the missing features in so many multiplats (back when we actually got them)

Part of the broader issue there is the auteur theory of game design that suffuses Nintendo. We don't talk about the teams that make the games, we talk about Miyamoto, Sakurai, and Iwata. Having one idiosyncratic artiste executing his vision like a God-King is fine for new or experimental titles, but it's a problem if it leads to dropping key features in flagship franchises. SB could be a huge e-sports event, but because Sakurai doesn't believe in ranked competition Nintendo just leaves that money and exposure on the table? That's nuts.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    Someone just pointed this out on the Wii U subreddit, so excuse me if I'm massively late on this one.

WK7OQcT.png

tnAjYpF.png

I'm beginning to think we're not going to see Project Cars releasing on the Wii U.

Wow fuck him. I guess Im in his 2% but any interest in his game just went to 0. You put a stretch goal on your kick starter and didnt meet it you have no right to get defensive when youre called on it

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Resident Evil also released at $30 rather than $60, and was the best version of the best Resident Evil game in years which I'm sure helped move it off the shelves.

I'm sure that didn't hurt; what I'm saying is, Capcom made the right moves and failed to capitalize on that hard-to-gain foothold/"test" in any meaningful way.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well, I have a PC that could play the game quite well (at least the SteamOS release later this year) but was waiting to see what the Wii U version was like (assuming it came). Now I really don't give a shit. I'll buy GRID Autosport (for SteamOS) instead. I really have no patience for people being dicks. Especially when they claim they will do a release and it's the one the community is (was) apparently most excited to see.

I hadn't seen that so thanks for posting it!

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    That guy sounds like a giant douche. I'll happily not buy his game on my xb1.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Yeah, I actually was going to pick it up for xbox, but I can't support anyone that treats their fans like that.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I can sort of understand a hostile reaction to the first guy, who was being kind of hostile himself, but the one with the long comment was calmly and rationally explaining his displeasure, and THAT gets the douchier response? Amazing.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

WK7OQcT.png

tnAjYpF.png

Wow, he sounds slightly mad.

I guess a lot changed with the game since September

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-wii-u-delay-theres-no-conspiracy-dev-/1100-6422143/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Just as well, the game barely works on the XB1. And they had the audacity to announce a sequel before they fixed said bugs.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython