As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    http://teambeyond.net/interview-josh-holmes-halo-5-guardians/
    In Halo 5: Guardians, join-in-progress will be enabled for Warzone. However, it will be disabled across the board for Arena gametypes.
    Damnit, this is so stupid.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Especially because if anyone drops you might as well quit too since you'll be at a huge disadvantage. Bungie has join in progress in Destiny and it makes a world of a difference.

• Options
    The lack of join-in-progress is one of the big reasons I don't bother with MCC multiplayer. I can't understand why they have it disabled.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    The lack of join-in-progress is one of the big reasons I don't bother with MCC multiplayer. I can't understand why they have it disabled.

On the one hand, join-in-progress is great. On the other hand w/o sufficient measures to discourage people from leaving so you get surprised by the warm, wet toilet seat of the losing side of pubstomp or otherwise unbalanced match... it's... not so great.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Also, isn't Arena the competitive heavy play-list?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I thought Arena was the blanket term for all multi in H5? Arena was competitive back in Reach.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    No the term is "War Games" for blanket MP.

• Options
    No the term is "War Games" for blanket MP.

In halo 4 it was called that, but searching "halo 5 war games " doesn't turn up much of anything.
    I found an article that does call it Arena though.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Arena is the competitive tournament type mode like it has been previously

and it makes sense to not have join in progress for something like that. As long as there is join in progress for the more casual gametypes which it sounds like there will be

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    so this Warzone thing looks pretty awesome and it has pushed Halo 5 to a must buy for me.

I missed out on Halo 4. Is that worth going back and playing?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    so this Warzone thing looks pretty awesome and it has pushed Halo 5 to a must buy for me.

I'd describe Halo 4 as "good concepts, poor execution." So, no.

• Options

it's probably worth renting or something and playing through coop if you can

but it's not great or anything

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It was gorgeous for an Xbox 360 game. Of course, that was a few years back.

• Options
    While the multi in Halo 4 is kinda like what happens when <Your Favorite Band Here> started to change their music to go with the times and thier current interests and now it kinda sorta sucks, some of the enemy AI actually deploys tactics you as a player use against them, and a full Spartan Ops match w/o lag is a unicorn, it's okay.

The customization options being tied to some crappy requirements does kinda blow though, and there aren't as many (even adding a ton of poses would have been neat).

• Options

Get Master Chief Collection then get ODST for it for an extra $5. Mltiplayer is still borked but the campaign content is well worth it!

As far as Halo 4 goes, I can definitely recommend giving it a run. It's got its issues (terrible story, ugly art style, lack of enemy variety), but the core gameplay is rock solid Halo-y goodness.

• Options

Get Master Chief Collection then get ODST for it for an extra $5. Mltiplayer is still borked but the campaign content is well worth it!

As far as Halo 4 goes, I can definitely recommend giving it a run. It's got its issues (terrible story, ugly art style, lack of enemy variety), but the core gameplay is rock solid Halo-y goodness.

Yeah MCC is pretty cheap lately. If you want to see the plot, recommended that you at least run the H4 campaign once and then all the Spartan Ops cutscenes (the gameplay doesn't add anything to that mode's story really, unfortunately).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I felt like halo 4 had some of the best character beats for Cortona and chief in the entire series. The story was garbage but all the Halo stories are for me. I loved the art style so eh

Prohass on
  • Options

The gameplay was fine but that doesn't count for much when most of the enemies are prometheans who are fucking awful and boring to fight

• Options
    I'd take a Million Protheans over the flood

• Options
    Just remove knights and make a promethean version of elites and that's that

• Options
    It looks like the protheAns talk in this one and have smaller infantry troops, which will make them a lot more fun to fight and give them more personality

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Halo 4 endgame spoiler fury inbound:
    http://youtu.be/IVFq6gbHRNM

The final QTE, with the final button prompt; and it's not just the wrong weapon, it's for a vehicle weapon. For fuck's sake, 343, how could you cock up a port of your own game?

The ending's plot is already dumb enough as it is, can't they get a text string right?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't really get the hate for 4s plot. Outside of reach none of the games had a plot that has anything to do with real people or characterisation, it was always nonsense jargon and lore, and 4 continued that.

I felt at least 4 had some powerful moments looking at the toll endless war has taken on the chief, how isolated he feels, and actually developed a really strong bond with Cortona other than "we do shit together", but actually showed how they help each other emotionally given that they're both essentially outcasts

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I don't really get the hate for 4s plot. Outside of reach none of the games had a plot that has anything to do with real people or characterisation, it was always nonsense jargon and lore, and 4 continued that.

I felt at least 4 had some powerful moments looking at the toll endless war has taken on the chief, how isolated he feels, and actually developed a really strong bond with Cortona other than "we do shit together", but actually showed how they help each other emotionally given that they're both essentially outcasts

Well, when I say "ending plot" I specifically mean
    Cortana extrudes the forcefield to protect Master Chief from the bomb blast. That would make sense, if there was any space to do that in; the bomb is in his hands when he sets it off and then he just...wakes up unharmed. It's a terrible cop-out and even a year later I've been unable to suspend my disbelief for it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options

I honestly have zero problem getting MM games in the MCC now--mind you, I pretty much play Team Slayer and BTB, which are both popular standbys. I've actually been that way for several months now (I was able to play a multiplayer match the night of launch though, so maybe I'm just lucky).

YMMV. It works perfectly for me, and is more constrained by the population (like every other Halo title with multiplayer) and the fact that people like suffering and keep choosing assault or one-flag CTF because of it.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

Your exception should also extend to ODST. More so than Reach actually. I did like the characterization in 4, but the jargon bullshit is at an all time high in there AND they work in a stupid "genetic savior" plot line straight out of Amazing Spider-Man/ Michael Bay TMNT.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I honestly have zero problem getting MM games in the MCC now--mind you, I pretty much play Team Slayer and BTB, which are both popular standbys. I've actually been that way for several months now (I was able to play a multiplayer match the night of launch though, so maybe I'm just lucky).

YMMV. It works perfectly for me, and is more constrained by the population (like every other Halo title with multiplayer) and the fact that people like suffering and keep choosing assault or one-flag CTF because of it.

That's just the thing, isn't it? Even when MCC multiplayer works, I don't want to play it. No join-in-progress means 1) needlessly long wait times to even get into a match, and 2) when people drop out (and they will), the match becomes lopsided and no longer fun. On top of that, the structure of the playlists and voting system make it difficult to ever get into a map/gametype I want to play.

It's not 2010 2007 2004 anymore. My matches should be nearly always full, I should be able to get into a match quickly, and within a minute of finishing the previous match I should already be spawning into the next one. This shouldn't be too much to ask for when countless other game manage it just fine.

• Options

That's just the thing, isn't it? Even when MCC multiplayer works, I don't want to play it. No join-in-progress means 1) needlessly long wait times to even get into a match, and 2) when people drop out (and they will), the match becomes lopsided and no longer fun. On top of that, the structure of the playlists and voting system make it difficult to ever get into a map/gametype I want to play.

It's not 2010 2007 2004 anymore. My matches should be nearly always full, I should be able to get into a match quickly, and within a minute of finishing the previous match I should already be spawning into the next one. This shouldn't be too much to ask for when countless other game manage it just fine.

In my case, I'm not getting Battlfield Hardline matches that 1) are always filled and ) aren't quickly lopsided (frankly, it's hard to imagine a BF game where that isn't a problem). MM times in the MMC are comparable, if marginally longer (to the point they can offset by the fact that MCC maps seem to load a lotfaster). In-match joining is a plus, don't get me wrong, but it pretty much does shit to fix how lopsided every single BF4 or Hardline match ends up becoming after about 5 minutes in my experience. Even with mandated team balance.

I guess that means I'm stuck in 2004, because those are traits I run into for Hardline, but also The Last of Us (which I don't think has in-match joining? It's been a while, I got pissed off at not being able to remap the multiplayer controls I think) and quite a few other multiplayer shooters I run into. Really, I run into very few console games (and even a few Steam titles) that do "manage it fine", not "countless" by any means.

As for one-flag CTF, that's not 343's fault at all--the voting system seems perfectly functional, unless you happened to be away from your controller during the vote period (the only way to "fix" this, extending the voting period, would only create another problem obviously). It's the "fault" of those same 100 or so players I keep running to who don't want to play anything but one-flag CTF, and I guess my "fault" for hating it.

• Options
    edited June 2015

Synthesis has no problems with MCC because he plays a gametype that the vast majority of people want to play all day every day? He's right, that's always been the case.

If nobody really wants to play the mode you prefer it's logistically impossible for...

1) you to encounter matches nearly always full.

2) you entering a match quickly (no matches exist, or are full*).

Most games have a 2-3 minute delay between the start of the next match too (not accounting for load times)... to give players a choice to stay in a lobby. While some games offer the option to ready or host rush, that encourages people who aren't ready to drop, exacerbating the problem.

eta: *A good example of that is niche gametypes in Titanfall where if the gametype population display was like a multiple of 12 you were guaranteed to not get into a match.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

Synthesis has no problems with MCC because he plays a gametype that the vast majority of people want to play all day every day? He's right, that's always been the case.

If nobody really wants to play the mode you prefer it's logistically impossible for...

2) you entering a match quickly (no matches exist).

Most games have a 2-3 minute delay between the start of the next match too (not accounting for load times)... to give players a choice to stay in a lobby. While some games offer the option to ready or host rush, that encourages people who aren't ready to drop, exacerbating the problem.

Yeah, I'd definitely say that's true. And in actuality, BTB has not always been popular in Halo multiplayer, but maybe the influence of BF and other titles has led more people towards it. I wouldn't dispute it's significantly worse (or at least the wait is a lot longer) in other game modes, but the thing is--this has always been an issue, hasn't it? I remember getting very long waits for King of the Hill, etc., back in Halo 3, and Halo 2 had even longer wait periods (unsurprising, given how young Xbox Live was at the time).

I think that if you wanted all game modes to be immediately available to you at all times, you pretty much have to play a Call of Duty title, on Xbox (or for the next title, Playstation), in the first month of launch. My own experience with MW3 multiplayer is limited, but I remember having to wait quite a while before I could play CTF. I wish that weren't the case, but by now, I'm rather used to it.

• Options

2) you entering a match quickly (no matches exist, or are full*).

eta: *A good example of that is niche gametypes in Titanfall where if the gametype population display was like a multiple of 12 you were guaranteed to not get into a match.
    One of the big problems I have is with getting the gametypes I want within the playlist. The voting likes to weight certain gametypes (especially slayer) to always be on the left side of the vote options, and other gametypes to be on the right. So even when votes are tied between slayer and objective, the tiebreaker always goes to slayer.

A minute between matches is more than enough time for people to drop. IIRC Destiny gives players 30 seconds, re-queues everyone still in, then once enough players are found it's off to the next match! I'm not that big on Destiny MP, but I love how quickly it is to get into matches.

The thing with Titanfall is, if there are a meager 11 people in the playlist, I could jump right into the match currently in progress, with no delay at all. Join in progess helps a ton for getting matches together in those niche playlists.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Cool, thanks for all the advice on Halo 4

I didn't realize they had split-screen co-op integrated for all the games in the MCC and it made it an even easier sell since my wife has been looking for a game that we can play together.

MCC is only ~$25 at Walmart so I am gonna try and pick that up. Should give me enough time to get my Halo back on before Halo 5 hits.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Split screen Halo was what sold me on the OG and every game leading up to 4

Especially 3

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Is there an MCC thread? I searched but couldn't find one...

Anyways, I picked up the MCC yesterday and played through the first couple levels of Original Halo co-op on easy with my wife. Original Halo is super weird. No ADS. Grenades feel really flat. Guns just feel odd in general. Also, the levels are soooo much smaller than my nostalgic brain remembered them being. It was a trip.

Is there an issue with the Plasma Pistol? I could have sworn it made the charging noise numerous times even when I didn't charge the thing. It started getting really distracting.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    The charging noise is probably a bug.

Grenades are kinda weird in that you don't really need to arc them because they go right where your crosshairs are.
    I wanna say that they're a little better in 2.

And halo never had ADS for until 5, But you could zoom with precision weapons (pistol, sniper, BR, DMR).

The first few levels are kinda quick but I remember Truth and Reconciliation and later being pretty big.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm not saying the levels ARE small. Its just my nostalgic brain remembered them much bigger than they actually are.

That first level on Halo where you are rescuing groups of soldiers who had escape-podded down? I remember it being this massive expanse of a place with each section where the soldiers were being huge areas. The structure were you have to defend the first group from dropship after dropship was sooo much smaller than I remember it being.

Either way it was really fun to play. It was my wife's first foray into the world of FPSs so that was interesting. She held her own at times which was fun to watch. I mean, we are playing on easy, so its not like we are ever in any real danger.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    yeah I think the charging plasma sound is a long time bug (sigh)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Played some MCC multi for the first time in a while. Yep, this matchmaking system is antiquated. And some basic UI functionality is still broken.

This should be a glorious celebration of Halo. This game makes me so sad. :(

EDIT: 15 seconds into my first BTB match, it's 7v4 CTF.

Arteen on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    Are we not talking about the lack of local co-op in Halo 5? Because what the shit? I've never not (NEGATIVES) beaten a Halo game (Reach/ODST included) alone, and I have no interest in doing so*. This a huge, huge letdown for me.

*Obvs I can do this via XBL, but I'd like to do it with my GF, and/or my BFF. Bummed.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    343 has forgotten the face of its father. It shoots with its hand, not with its heart.

GNU Terry Pratchett