As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seattle by Night - A Vampire: The Masquerade [PbP]

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Kris Pearson

I swear some people lose their sense of humor the moment their heart stops beating. Or maybe this guy had just been mostly humorless to begin with.

Whatever. I shoved my hands in my pockets and headed outside, humming a few bars of Straight Up. Not that I’d be telling Lizzie this any time soon, but grunge wasn’t really my thing either.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Stepping out into night the lights of the city seem stark and harsh under a starless sky. Before you stands a man in a two-piece grey suit and perfectly groomed with blonde hair. He is looking out over the city with his back to you all. To his right is the Sheriff Donald White, who is far more dressed down with a scruffy dark beard and disheveled hair. The ox-like Primogen of the Tremere, Robert Morgan, and the infamous Nosferatu Primogen, Debra Bassinger (know as the Black Dalhia in Anarch circles), stand to his left. The Sheriff holds up his hand and you all know to stop where you are.

"Welcome, my friends," says the sharply dressed blonde man, turning to look at you. He is not a very tall man, though he is handsome in the classic sense with sharp blue eyes and a strong jaw.

"My name is Gordon Jenner and I am your Prince. Now, I know some of you probably used to be Anarchs." He steps forward and paces in front of you all, hands in pocket. "Hell some of you probably probably still are, am I right? But I'm here to tell you that, despite the years miscommunication and misunderstanding, we're not here to take your city from you. We just want to help you establish order.

"Did you know, that just last month alone there was four violations of the Masquerade? Four! Even Anarchs agree that's pretty bad. Well, we went in and we cleaned it all up; made it like it never happened. Were the violators also punished? Yes, but let me ask you, how else does a child learn if they aren't disciplined?"

As he walks and talks, making eye contact with each one of you, he is very animated and seems to be talking directly to you. He jestures with his hands and communicates with his body language. And, honestly, a lot of what he has to say is making sense.

"So, now that we have a better understanding of each other, I'd like to get to know each of you. Tell me your stories; give me your grievances. I want to hear so I can serve you better as your Prince."

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Is there any difference to how the Prince is treating Roland or is he pretty much lumped in all together?

• Options
    @Delmain You can stand asside if you like. He might give you a little nod of acknowledgement but his focus will remain on the new recruits. You've probably heard spiel multiple times before and are probably just waiting for him to hand over the freshmen.

If you would like to know the exact etiquette for this situation, give me Intelligence + Etiquette.

• Options
    You're pretty well practiced so DC 6 on that roll.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Roland

That was basically my thought.

Geth, roll 3d10h6

3d10h6 1 [3d10h6=7, 4, 1]

Delmain on
  • Options
    @Delmain You know that it's customary to stand a little off to the side, on the Sheriff's side within eyeline. Only elders and ancilla stand to the left side of the Prince, the Primogen's side.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Damien Thorn

As a walking, talking violation of the Masquerade, I hope that punishment doesn't apply to me.

Seeing no one else leaping at the chance to introduce themselves, I step forward myself.

"Your Majesty, I am Damien Thorn of Clan Tremere. I have recently traveled to your lovely city with my Sire. In her wisdom, she has decided that I should take up residence here and attempt to join the local Tremere chantry. Since I am so new to your domain, I have no grievances."

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Kris Pearson

The kid’s either well trained, or else he’s got a set of brass ones that clink when he walks, I’ll give him that. On further consideration, I figured it was probably a combination of both. Which meant he had a pretty good handle on procedure here, and following his general lead was probably a good idea.

I took a step forward, and hoped my nerves didn’t show. At the moment, I felt like being in a boardroom trying to wrap up an early meeting before sunrise would have been easier. “Your Majesty, I am Christopher Parson of Clan Toreador. I’ve been in the Northwest for three years, but generally kept to myself across the lake. However, it would seem that the time has come for me to pick a side. My limited levels of contact mean I too, bring no grievances to your domain.

And step back, and shut up. I counseled myself as I did just that. I figured that was probably enough information to come across as genuine, and 94.8% truthful at that.

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    Roland

Standing off to the side of the vampires being brought before the Prince, I take the time to eye them all, trying to figure out how much they were trying to bullshit His Highness in his own lair. The Tremere seemed to have a plausible story, but Mister "I've lived here for 3 years and didn't think to come to Elysium" was either lying or really, really dumb. I honestly didn't know which I preferred.

Stupid, probably. It'd make it easier to get him to work for me.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Is there a way mechanically for a Malk to find information or see the future as the fluff suggest they sort of do?

• Options
    No, not really. That is entirely fluff. You can feel free to play with that angle as much as you like, whether or not it is implemented as actually prophecy is entirely up to the Storyteller.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    That question prompted me to go look for Bard's Tongue. I am shocked it's not a Flaw any longer.

1 · Bard's Tongue

You speak the truth, uncannily so. Things you say tend to come true. This isn't a facility for blessing or cursing, or an Effect that can be ruled by any conscious control. However, at least once per story, an uncomfortable truth regarding any current situation pops into your head and passes through your lips. To avoid speaking prophecy, you must expend a Willpower Point and take a health level from the strain of resisting (especially if you bite a hole in your tongue).

Nealneal on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Jack DeLuca

"Your Majesty, my name's Jack DeLuca, and I'm a member of the Followers of Set. I understand that's not the most popular club to be a part of, based on a few reactions I've received tonight, but I guess we play with the hands we're dealt. I've lived here since my parents moved out from Brooklyn when I was 8."

I clear my throat and add, "As far as grievances, I'm not thrilled about being press-ganged into all of this," waving at the general area around all of us, "but I suppose that's a grievance for my sire, not for you, sir."

I swear I'm not trying to kick hornet's nest, but goddamn do I miss whiskey and cheeseburgers.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lizzy Hell

"How does one own a whole city, the entire place?" Lizzy moved to the side the music got harsher, away from the Sheriff. "Does people respect you and love your face?" Lizzy listened to the notes hidden among the the louder tones. "I hear dark whispers and truths about the coming days. An old war fought in a frighting, new way. Like children afraid of their parents, you do what you can to hide. You want to kill the newest generation to stop the crimson tide. But the dark days are coming, but it's not old corpses who will start it. It will be the ones who believe they are protecting us who damn us to shit."

Lizzy looked the new prince in the eye. "I have no grievances with what you've done. That's in the past like yesterday's sun. My grievances is what you plan to do, denied what you want but we both know it's true. You crave war, the blood and it's horror. You lie to the sheep and call it order. I only want to give you my sound advice. Stop your plans the genocide, or Fate will roll your dice. Your choice will decide all our Final Nights, choose wisely and make it right."

Where did you find that Bard's Tongue? I still haven't picked my Merits/Flaws as I can't find shit information in my book (phone is throttled so I can't download the V20 pdf) of how many we get unless it's 0 and you have to get the same number of Flaw points as you get Merit points.

• Options
    It's an OWoD Flaw. I am just surprised that with almost every single other Merit and Flaw making it's way into V20, that one somehow got cut.

• Options
    It was in a splatbook, probably like Clanbook: Malkavian.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I think it was in the Player's Guide. At least that's where it's at in my Mage: The Ascension and Changeling: The Dreaming first edition series. Bard's Tongue was just one of those unbiquitous Flaws that was in every line like Short or Haunted.
    Edit: Speaking of Short and Haunted... I forgot to link my Mythweavers sheet.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    In the V20 book, you can take as many flaws as you want, but you only get a max of 7 pts benefit out of them. Damien for example has 8 pts in flaws, but I only got to use 7pts.

• Options

Minion roll 9d10h5

9d10h5 5 [9d10h5=[10, 4], 6, 2, 1, 3, 3, [10, 9], 6, 4]

• Options
    edited June 2015
    That's a terrifying roll

Also, I just got my wisdom teeth taken out. I haven't taken any of the oxy they gave me yet, but I'm not promising I'll be coherent for a day or two.

E: Also, I find it helpful to link my character sheet in my sig so that it's available if anyone doesn't remember something (or if I want to open it easily to get skill+attribute numbers.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Donald flinches a moment, then stops when he catches eyes with Gordon. Lizzy you see the Prince's gaze return to yours and then your will seizes. You can feel the crushing weight of Prince Gordon's displeasure pressing down on you. The music in your mind has become a suffocating symphony of catastrophic instruments playing without rhyme or reason. It has no structure as discordent notes clash with sharps. It is as though the instruments were exploding from the noise in your mind.

@Grunt's Ghosts You will need to make a Courage roll DC 9 if you wish to speak out again and, if you do not spend a Willpower and make a Willpower roll DC 8, you must immediately begin humbling yourself.

"Lizzy, let me give it to you straight - war, particular the type of war Kindred tend to commit, is bad for business. I'm a businessman. Have been for the better part of two centuries. All we in the Camarilla can do is defend ourselves against Anarch aggression. But you know what, if you and your sire, what's her name again... Chancy? Chapper?"

"Chantelle, sir," Donald interjects.

"Right, thanks, Don. Chantelle. You and Chantelle want out of the city, that's fine. I won't stop you. Good luck finding another city as open and hospitable as Seattle. ... Except, well, you just had to be rude, didn't you? YOU couldn't even pretend to have respect for the office of Prince for a single night, could you? We sent you a respectful invitation, that you could have declined, but you choose to come and belittle me."

He turns his back on you and makes his way back to the balcony railing, leaning against it to look out over his city. His knuckles turn white with anger as he grips the rail. The two primogen and the Sheriff all seem to recoil just barely perceptibly, as though waiting for hell itself to spring forth from this Kindred's mind.

What do you do?

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Geth roll 4#1d10 for Courage

Geth roll 5#1d10 for Willpower

Courage:
    4#1d10 4 # 9 [1d10=9] 8 [1d10=8] 9 [1d10=9] 3 [1d10=3]
    Willpower:
    5#1d10 5 # 8 [1d10=8] 6 [1d10=6] 5 [1d10=5] 10 [1d10=10] 9 [1d10=9]

• Options
    Well shit, Lizzy ain't scared of nuthin'. By the way, I love everything you're doing with her and want to keep her around forever.

• Options
    I am on the edge of my seat for this response.

• Options
    Lizzy Hell

The rocker grits her teeth at the noise burning in her head. To those watching, it's looks like someone burning alive, but without the flames or the burning skin. Everything inside Lizzy screamed against the pain, the chaos... Live the beat, feel it in your feet.

Then... explode!

"RUDE! I tell you what your circle will not and I am rude to you?" The vampire stands up straight and returns her stare at the Prince to the amazement of all watching. "Instead of lying and keeping two faces I give it to you true. You have never had a more respectful moment since you gained your title. And your invitation was not one someone could keep idle. I don't care who rules these nights, as long as he rules with clear sights. You hold our unlives in your hands and if that's the case I wish mine not to be held by a blind man. Do not let your council of crooks lead you stray, or these will be all our final days. Prove to all, Cams and Anarchs alike, that you are worth following in these Final Nights. That your vision of the future is right."

The rocker doesn't turn away from the Prince, but she keeps mindful of where the Sheriff is, half expecting the dog to bare it's teeth at her any moment now.

• Options
    Malks see and hear worst than anyone else can image. A Prince's rage ranks low on "Shit I'm scared of".

• Options

Geth roll 5d10h8 for Self-control

Self-control:
    5d10h8 1 [5d10h8=1, 6, 9, 2, 3]

• Options
    And here's where Gordon pulls out a pencil to show Lizzy a magic trick...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lizzy is the crazy one, she's got her pencil on her somewhere....

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Silence. It seems everyone is waiting for the hammer to drop. The torrent of horrifying violence that was sure to come any second now. But that doesn't happen. Instead what is heard is a chuckle, which slowly errupts into outright laughter as the tension relieves in Gordon's shoulders. He turns back around, unbutton his jacket, grinning wide with his fangs bared.

"Oh Lizzy," he snickers with wild-eyes. He strolls back down to Lizzy, getting uncomfortably close to her face. "I like your spunk. You've got a spark about you that just can't be duplicated. Why, if you were an elder I might even consider you for the Malkavian Primogen seat. But you're not. You're nothing. And now you've forced me to show strength in front of my council and sheriff.

"You and your sire... you are forbidden to leave. To make sure you don't, your Chantelle," his fully fangs bared he points into his chest, "will be taken into my personal custody."

Anyone who wasn't enraptured by this scene might have noticed that the Sheriff was already gone.

"Don't worry too much, I'm not a cruel Prince. Which is why you will complete ten boons for me, or as your sire she will face the consequences of your actions. After which you will both be banished from Seattle."

What do you do?

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    A Simpsons-style collar pull.

No idea there was size limit on things like that; apologies.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I post with my phone and my data is throttled until the 4th, so can we not post Gifs? It freezes a page for like 10 mins for me while it loads and there isn't a thing I can do about it but sit and wait.

The Malk starts to say something but is cut short. Her eyes and head tilt towards the sky and she goes inhumanly still. The music has changed, no longer harsh, it's a mix of flute and violin, a soft sound that sets the vampire at ease. She doesn't break when she hears Chantelle scream "Trust the Music!", no, she listens to the music.

"This is the path, this is the way.
    Follow the music, never stray."

Everyone hears the words, but the Malk still hasn't moved.

"I'm waiting." The Prince finally says and then, and only then, does Lizzy move. It's slow, first the head and finally her eyes lock back with the Prince's, who now stands only inches from her. A smile grows across the Malks face, until it's stretched as far as she can make it. The whole scene is quite unsettling. "Our Fate is now sealed, our journey begins. But we shall both see the sun before I reach ten. It will not be my doing that makes the destination for not, it will be the important thing you have forgot. Give me your command, my quest. I will do it to my best." Lizzy's smile fades from her face. "But remember this: The shadows have eyes and are no longer your friend, the streets have teeth with a hunger that won't end. Your tower is your tomb of your own creation, your end shall come from your own relation. I say this not because of hate, for I feel none for you. I say this from respect and you deserve a word true. You will lose your city by your own hand and all Kindreds' ashes will cover this land. Remember what you have forgotten to save us all, or stand and watch as we all fall." The metal rocker bows to the Prince, the first outwardly sign of respect she's shown since she got here.

Rhyming is so hard you guys.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    @dresdenphile that gif is almost three times the size limit. Even if no one was trying to phone post, you're risking an infraction. Hiding things behind spoilers doens't cause them to not load.

Roland

Uh

I didn't think dumbstruck was a word that ever applied to me. This Malk is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. Here's hoping for her sake that her sire is more toned down and doesn't piss of Gordon before the childe is done...

Fuuuuuuuck. He's sending this one with me isn't he?

I find it hard to stand straight, I'm leaning a bit from side to side and silently pleading that I don't have to take this Lizzy character on Donald's mission.

E: also, I got my wisdom teeth out this morning so if I'm a bit slow posting, I apologize

Delmain on
  • Options
    Jack DeLuca

Here I am worrying about not stepping on people's toes, and this crazy chick all but gives this Gordon guy a wedgie in front of his lackeys and party guests.

I try to avoid eye-contact with anyone at this point, because fuck a bunch of this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy shit...I'm loving this pbp, but my old rotten heart wishes I could have seen this exchange in person.
    Damien Thorn

I thought he was going to kill her. Right here in front of me. Final Death. Just like that. She's definitely not someone to mess with nor is he.

I try to decide if now is the time to make a political play, will the Primogen be ok with it?

Well, be bold or perish Catelyn would say. Or was that be bold and perish?

I step forward, "Your Majesty, if it would please you, I would offer to take on some of Lizzy's burden. Say three of the boons owed you. You will still get the services you seek, and your city will be free of her and her sire all the sooner."

• Options
    You should see me trying to come up with these lines.

• Options
    I am imagining you in monk's robes, hunched over a writing desk with a quill and ink-stained fingers. I cannot really fathom how you are doing it.

• Options
    It's really me acting out the character in my room, runnning through a dozen or so lines, rhymes, and other crimes before I finally put the words to paper. The whole thing of the head tilting and Joker smile, I did that in RL to get a sense of what that looked like. Then I write it out on my phone and pray it comes out looking like something written by someone who speaks English as a first language.

• Options
    Sorry for the lack of posts. I was ill since Friday. I'll try to get a post up this afternoon.