As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I hate running but ... pointless?

how can something that makes you wish you and everyone you love was dead be pointless?

edit - oh I also hate pushups

There are certain segments of the internet who believe that all bodyweight exercise (besides pullups and dips, praise be unto them) are worthless, and that cardio kills gains.

It depends on the reasons you work out.

Do you want to look swole and impress the ladies at the beach?

Or do you want to be healthy and not have a heart attack at 30?

There's also a subset of long distance runners that avoid core workouts and upper body strength because they think leaner means better but completely ignore that some of speed, stability, and endurance in running comes from your upper body. I'm not saying they need to bench 400 lbs, but a strong upper body is helpful for running too.

Just like there's a bunch of meatheads that avoid leg workouts because chicks don't notice those and then they look like a life sized rooster on their chicken legs.

re: upper body for long distance goal is to be lean re body fat but not put on a lot of muscle weight either because lighter = faster obvs (although muscle is still good, just better where you use it more, aka your legs and your tight lil butt)

but beasto would know better than i

Beast, please tell us about your little butt.

As Beast's director of communications i have been given vague assent to tell you about his little butt, which i am interpreting liberally

Dear Constituent,

Beast's butt is tight. You wish you had a quarter to bounce off it every time. But you don't because coins are antiquated and you need to horde them for laundry day anyway.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

how can something that makes you wish you and everyone you love was dead be pointless?

There are certain segments of the internet who believe that all bodyweight exercise (besides pullups and dips, praise be unto them) are worthless, and that cardio kills gains.

There's also a subset of long distance runners that avoid core workouts and upper body strength because they think leaner means better but completely ignore that some of speed, stability, and endurance in running comes from your upper body. I'm not saying they need to bench 400 lbs, but a strong upper body is helpful for running too.

Just like there's a bunch of meatheads that avoid leg workouts because chicks don't notice those and then they look like a life sized rooster on their chicken legs.

re: upper body for long distance goal is to be lean re body fat but not put on a lot of muscle weight either because lighter = faster obvs (although muscle is still good, just better where you use it more, aka your legs and your tight lil butt)

Yeah you'll be focusing on arm and shoulder workouts I think.

It's weird how running works. Arms are good for balance and rhythm, shoulders and chest improve breathing and your abs and back help balance you.

It's sort of like your upper body is a gyroscope for your lower body. Lower body needs a lot of power, but you need to balance and offset that power so you don't wobble over.

I've only really noticed the rail thin people on the long distance running like marathons. XCountry and sprinting/olympics tends to have people who are a lot more massively built on the upper body. They're definitely lean still, but they're ripped like a fucking super hero.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    4K is going to happen, out of a combination of technological inertia and backwards comparability.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Lots of running granted me a large and muscular butt. It was once described as mastodonic.

But my butt shrank away after several years of neglect, :'(

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    40K is going to happen, out of a combination of technological inertia and backwards comparability.

One small character addition; one giant leap for meaning

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I have a 4K monitor.

Everything is itty bitty on it.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    And really, it's not even "Batman should kill the Joker"

It's: Batman should stop being Batman. The police will eventually wind up shooting the Joker because that's what happens to extremely dangerous criminals who won't stop committing crimes and cannot be safely arrested. Net gain to society as the rogues gallery eventually dies out instead of being perpetually recycled.

:-p

Also somehow, despite my apparent extreme bloodlust, I consume less violent media than most of you lot. With your Breaking Bads and your Games with Thrones.

That shit be violent yo, I can't even watch it.

• Options
    I need to do more squats, my butt is flat like some pancakes bros, you don't even know.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Yeah, the "look good/get big/get STRONG" segments of the community are pretty big (including or excluding the chicken leg guys), which means a lot of people get told that cardio is worthless.

As for long distance running, a lot of the top runners look ridiculously thin, and I'm never sure if that's because of a culture that feeds on itself (the fastest runners are twigs, I should be a twig!) or because it's actually optimal.

As beasto's liaison i have received the following message for chat citizens

*clears throat*

"There is some upper body strength that is useful for running, arm swing for forward drive and stability but the amount of strength necessary is p small"

What about sprinting tho

"Much more important in sprinting
    That is why sprinters look like monsters"

re: why:

"Because they need all the help they can get, the weight doesn't effect them as much since it's over such a short distance so the added drive they get from upper body movement is worth it"

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Lots of running granted me a large and muscular butt. It was once described as mastodonic.

Buy a house with stairs, and be bad at remembering where you left stuff.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I wish I could eat like marathoners.

Jesus they take in something like 10k calories a day right?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    another thought about 4K: drivers are still pretty rough

and don't even think about hooking that monitor up to a video card with less than 4 gigs of RAM

I was getting so goddamn many crashes in the video driver and even hard lockups (requiring a hardware reboot) until they got me a 970 at work

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We need a Dark Claw movie.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I get coins for laundry day by going to the bank attached to a nearby grocery store and pretending I have an account there and asking for rolls of quarters, saying I forgot my ledger, and offering to pay in cash.

It works about 80% of the time.

It used to be easy to get quarters for laundry. Just ask at any store. Now motherfuckers hoard them.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    when I met Beasto's sister's ex it took all my power not to giggle right away

tiny head, skinny legs

HUGE TORSO AND ARMS

it was so disproportionate and hilarious and obvious that someone was skipping leg day~

this is exactly what chappelle looks like now

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    this comedy competition wants me to submit a 5-7 minute audio clip

the problem is that i record all of my sets so i can listen back once or twice afterwards so i have like, 80 different audio clips of varying quality just lying around

ugh effort of finding ones that aren't total shit

• Options

Buy a house with stairs, and be bad at remembering where you left stuff.

I am one for two.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    40K is going to happen, out of a combination of technological inertia and backwards comparability.

One small character addition; one giant leap for meaning

My greatest work.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

It's weird how running works. Arms are good for balance and rhythm, shoulders and chest improve breathing and your abs and back help balance you.

It's sort of like your upper body is a gyroscope for your lower body. Lower body needs a lot of power, but you need to balance and offset that power so you don't wobble over.

I've only really noticed the rail thin people on the long distance running like marathons. XCountry and sprinting/olympics tends to have people who are a lot more massively built on the upper body. They're definitely lean still, but they're ripped like a fucking super hero.

follow up from beast on sprinting v long distance running body types:

"You are wasting tons of energy if doing this over a long distance, but it is very helpful in the short term"

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    this comedy competition wants me to submit a 5-7 minute audio clip

the problem is that i record all of my sets so i can listen back once or twice afterwards so i have like, 80 different audio clips of varying quality just lying around

ugh effort of finding ones that aren't total shit

Just send them a laugh track on loop.

• Options

eh

eh

not rly

lotsa people gain weight because the training is SOOOOOO hungrifying and end up overeating

i think i did this while training for my half

its like y am i even DOING this if i cant hav this whole cake

• Options

"You are wasting tons of energy if doing this over a long distance, but it is very helpful in the short term"

Just load up at burger king, cheap energy , stop during your run even and offload that massive dump

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I get coins for laundry day by going to the bank attached to a nearby grocery store and pretending I have an account there and asking for rolls of quarters, saying I forgot my ledger, and offering to pay in cash.

It used to be easy to get quarters for laundry. Just ask at any store. Now motherfuckers hoard them.
    Life without a washing machine is cruel and unusual. It's been a good for years since I've had to deal with that

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Just load up at burger king, cheap energy , stop during your run even and offload that massive dump

wait one more that addresses your point about counterbalance --

"If your legs are driving super hard the upper body needs to be able to create the opposite direction of force. The more upper body strength the harder your lower body can push"

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I like sprinting because I like doing very little work but also feeling like im going to die after

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Boy oh boy, Oboro's definitely got the semen demon look.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

I just... I just asked them to exchange bills for quarters.

Worked 100% of the time, no elaborate subterfuge necessary.

But then this was a smaller city.

• Options

I saved $40 a month by finding a place that had laundry hookups, and free cable.

$40 for laundry, $80 for cable and TV, my apartment rent for a 1 bedroom 1 bath was $800 a month.

For a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath I paid $1000. I basically doubled the square footage in my apartment for less than $100 more a month when I first rented this place. No doubt if I had stayed in my 1 bedroom apartment another 2-4 years it would have been nearly $1000 now.

Seems like a good investment.

The two worst parts about renting to me were the landlords just coming in whenever or scheduling inspections, that is such a pain in the ass, and laundry time.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

eh

eh

not rly

lotsa people gain weight because the training is SOOOOOO hungrifying and end up overeating

Exercise usually causes hunger to increase in proportion to the calories burned.

It's maddening.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    And really, it's not even "Batman should kill the Joker"

It's: Batman should stop being Batman. The police will eventually wind up shooting the Joker because that's what happens to extremely dangerous criminals who won't stop committing crimes and cannot be safely arrested. Net gain to society as the rogues gallery eventually dies out instead of being perpetually recycled.

:-p

Also somehow, despite my apparent extreme bloodlust, I consume less violent media than most of you lot. With your Breaking Bads and your Games with Thrones.

That shit be violent yo, I can't even watch it.

I think the Joker is immortal in recent comics, or something.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

eh

eh

not rly

Exercise usually causes hunger to increase in proportion to the calories burned.

It's maddening.

every time i get on a fitness kick i gain 10lbs

i was 205 when i was a lazy bum all the time

now after 2 years i'm 235

i guess i am technically in better shape and stronger than i used to be

but damn man

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    1311364002374863396.png

D:

Activision Publishing, Inc. and Bungie, together with energy drink category leader Red Bull today announced a partnership that will bring an epic new quest to players of the popular sci-fi action adventure game franchise Destiny via custom-designed Red Bull® Energy Drink cans, inviting consumers across the United States and Canada to Become Legend, making this the first time a video-game, or any third party brand, has ever appeared on the iconic Red Bull can.

D:
    "This partnership brings two brands synonymous with adventure together to offer Destiny players a unique opportunity to further advance their Guardians in the Destiny universe," said Tim Ellis, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Activision. "Whether a player is new to Destiny or with us since launch, the special quest promotion will help give them the ‘wings' and experience boost to take on The Taken King."

D:
    The limited edition Destiny can will also feature Red Bull athlete, member of professional eSports organization OpTic Gaming, and Destiny super-fan Michael "Flamesword" Chaves. Chaves will offer his expertise and experience as an eSports athlete and coach to help guide players through the quest.

D:
    "I'm really excited to be a part of this partnership," said Michael "Flamesword" Chaves, Red Bull eSport athlete. "I love that Red Bull and Destiny have a shared sense of adventure, camaraderie, and pushing boundaries that both brands embody. As a former Coach of OpTic Gaming and Team Captain of my current squad, I'm always looking to help others be at their best. I am very much looking forward to coaching the Destiny community through the quest and help everyone Become Legend!"

D:

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Michael "Flamesword" Chaves

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm starting to think skipping destiny was the right call

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    1311364002374863396.png

D:

Activision Publishing, Inc. and Bungie, together with energy drink category leader Red Bull today announced a partnership that will bring an epic new quest to players of the popular sci-fi action adventure game franchise Destiny via custom-designed Red Bull® Energy Drink cans, inviting consumers across the United States and Canada to Become Legend, making this the first time a video-game, or any third party brand, has ever appeared on the iconic Red Bull can.

D:
    "This partnership brings two brands synonymous with adventure together to offer Destiny players a unique opportunity to further advance their Guardians in the Destiny universe," said Tim Ellis, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Activision. "Whether a player is new to Destiny or with us since launch, the special quest promotion will help give them the ‘wings' and experience boost to take on The Taken King."

D:
    The limited edition Destiny can will also feature Red Bull athlete, member of professional eSports organization OpTic Gaming, and Destiny super-fan Michael "Flamesword" Chaves. Chaves will offer his expertise and experience as an eSports athlete and coach to help guide players through the quest.

D:
    "I'm really excited to be a part of this partnership," said Michael "Flamesword" Chaves, Red Bull eSport athlete. "I love that Red Bull and Destiny have a shared sense of adventure, camaraderie, and pushing boundaries that both brands embody. As a former Coach of OpTic Gaming and Team Captain of my current squad, I'm always looking to help others be at their best. I am very much looking forward to coaching the Destiny community through the quest and help everyone Become Legend!"

D:

Maybe the Mountain Dew Doritos partnership with Halo wasn't Microsoft's fault.

Maybe it was bungie all along.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I look forward to using my Mountain Dew Baja Blaster to take down the taken king

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

also re this point but from me

Long Distance running is a delicate balancing act between fuel (calories/energy), hardware (muscle/joints/tendons/bones), and fucking tummies and butts

You can eat BK during the run sure, and you may even be able to stop and take that hella dump

but it will not feel great taking the trip from tummy to butt i tell u wat

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    1311364002374863396.png

D:

D:

D:

D:

D:

Destiny now a Korean MMO confirmed. Next patch includes Gachopan tickets with every bag of Doritos and pets that collect loot for only $15.00/3 months.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm starting to think skipping destiny was the right call

the game is still super fun

This discussion has been closed.