As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I hate running but ... pointless?

how can something that makes you wish you and everyone you love was dead be pointless?

edit - oh I also hate pushups

There are certain segments of the internet who believe that all bodyweight exercise (besides pullups and dips, praise be unto them) are worthless, and that cardio kills gains.

It depends on the reasons you work out.

Do you want to look swole and impress the ladies at the beach?

Or do you want to be healthy and not have a heart attack at 30?

There's also a subset of long distance runners that avoid core workouts and upper body strength because they think leaner means better but completely ignore that some of speed, stability, and endurance in running comes from your upper body. I'm not saying they need to bench 400 lbs, but a strong upper body is helpful for running too.

Just like there's a bunch of meatheads that avoid leg workouts because chicks don't notice those and then they look like a life sized rooster on their chicken legs.

re: upper body for long distance goal is to be lean re body fat but not put on a lot of muscle weight either because lighter = faster obvs (although muscle is still good, just better where you use it more, aka your legs and your tight lil butt)

but beasto would know better than i

Yeah you'll be focusing on arm and shoulder workouts I think.

It's weird how running works. Arms are good for balance and rhythm, shoulders and chest improve breathing and your abs and back help balance you.

It's sort of like your upper body is a gyroscope for your lower body. Lower body needs a lot of power, but you need to balance and offset that power so you don't wobble over.

I've only really noticed the rail thin people on the long distance running like marathons. XCountry and sprinting/olympics tends to have people who are a lot more massively built on the upper body. They're definitely lean still, but they're ripped like a fucking super hero.

follow up from beast on sprinting v long distance running body types:

"You are wasting tons of energy if doing this over a long distance, but it is very helpful in the short term"

Just load up at burger king, cheap energy , stop during your run even and offload that massive dump

also re this point but from me

Long Distance running is a delicate balancing act between fuel (calories/energy), hardware (muscle/joints/tendons/bones), and fucking tummies and butts

You can eat BK during the run sure, and you may even be able to stop and take that hella dump

but it will not feel great taking the trip from tummy to butt i tell u wat

Yeah I was mostly joking.

When I was running in high school those shits...

Oh my god.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    1311364002374863396.png

D:

Activision Publishing, Inc. and Bungie, together with energy drink category leader Red Bull today announced a partnership that will bring an epic new quest to players of the popular sci-fi action adventure game franchise Destiny via custom-designed Red Bull® Energy Drink cans, inviting consumers across the United States and Canada to Become Legend, making this the first time a video-game, or any third party brand, has ever appeared on the iconic Red Bull can.

D:
    "This partnership brings two brands synonymous with adventure together to offer Destiny players a unique opportunity to further advance their Guardians in the Destiny universe," said Tim Ellis, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Activision. "Whether a player is new to Destiny or with us since launch, the special quest promotion will help give them the ‘wings' and experience boost to take on The Taken King."

D:
    The limited edition Destiny can will also feature Red Bull athlete, member of professional eSports organization OpTic Gaming, and Destiny super-fan Michael "Flamesword" Chaves. Chaves will offer his expertise and experience as an eSports athlete and coach to help guide players through the quest.

D:
    "I'm really excited to be a part of this partnership," said Michael "Flamesword" Chaves, Red Bull eSport athlete. "I love that Red Bull and Destiny have a shared sense of adventure, camaraderie, and pushing boundaries that both brands embody. As a former Coach of OpTic Gaming and Team Captain of my current squad, I'm always looking to help others be at their best. I am very much looking forward to coaching the Destiny community through the quest and help everyone Become Legend!"

D:

D:

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ugh money and car oil stuff

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    And really, it's not even "Batman should kill the Joker"

It's: Batman should stop being Batman. The police will eventually wind up shooting the Joker because that's what happens to extremely dangerous criminals who won't stop committing crimes and cannot be safely arrested. Net gain to society as the rogues gallery eventually dies out instead of being perpetually recycled.

:-p

Also somehow, despite my apparent extreme bloodlust, I consume less violent media than most of you lot. With your Breaking Bads and your Games with Thrones.

That shit be violent yo, I can't even watch it.

I think the Joker is immortal in recent comics, or something.

Immortality just gives you even more options for dealing with assholes without violating the no-kill code.

3697208-4.jpg

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm starting to think skipping destiny was the right call

I'm starting to think going blind was the right call

rRwz9.gif
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    1311364002374863396.png

D:

Activision Publishing, Inc. and Bungie, together with energy drink category leader Red Bull today announced a partnership that will bring an epic new quest to players of the popular sci-fi action adventure game franchise Destiny via custom-designed Red Bull® Energy Drink cans, inviting consumers across the United States and Canada to Become Legend, making this the first time a video-game, or any third party brand, has ever appeared on the iconic Red Bull can.

D:
    "This partnership brings two brands synonymous with adventure together to offer Destiny players a unique opportunity to further advance their Guardians in the Destiny universe," said Tim Ellis, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Activision. "Whether a player is new to Destiny or with us since launch, the special quest promotion will help give them the ‘wings' and experience boost to take on The Taken King."

D:
    The limited edition Destiny can will also feature Red Bull athlete, member of professional eSports organization OpTic Gaming, and Destiny super-fan Michael "Flamesword" Chaves. Chaves will offer his expertise and experience as an eSports athlete and coach to help guide players through the quest.

D:
    "I'm really excited to be a part of this partnership," said Michael "Flamesword" Chaves, Red Bull eSport athlete. "I love that Red Bull and Destiny have a shared sense of adventure, camaraderie, and pushing boundaries that both brands embody. As a former Coach of OpTic Gaming and Team Captain of my current squad, I'm always looking to help others be at their best. I am very much looking forward to coaching the Destiny community through the quest and help everyone Become Legend!"

D:

D:

:D

I ate an engineer
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    1311364002374863396.png

D:

D:

D:

D:

D:

D:

:D

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Wait I mean D:

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I would say I am in phase "dumpy"

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    DRINK VERIFICATION CAN!

nibXTE7.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

oh god this made a snot bullet come out of my nose from the loud snort

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    gotta drive to two places i've never been before

satnav just died

gonna have to read a map

!!!

815165 wrote: »

satnav just died

gonna have to read a map

!!!

Is that one of those things that's like a smushed globe

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

how can something that makes you wish you and everyone you love was dead be pointless?

There are certain segments of the internet who believe that all bodyweight exercise (besides pullups and dips, praise be unto them) are worthless, and that cardio kills gains.

There's also a subset of long distance runners that avoid core workouts and upper body strength because they think leaner means better but completely ignore that some of speed, stability, and endurance in running comes from your upper body. I'm not saying they need to bench 400 lbs, but a strong upper body is helpful for running too.

Just like there's a bunch of meatheads that avoid leg workouts because chicks don't notice those and then they look like a life sized rooster on their chicken legs.

re: upper body for long distance goal is to be lean re body fat but not put on a lot of muscle weight either because lighter = faster obvs (although muscle is still good, just better where you use it more, aka your legs and your tight lil butt)

It's weird how running works. Arms are good for balance and rhythm, shoulders and chest improve breathing and your abs and back help balance you.

It's sort of like your upper body is a gyroscope for your lower body. Lower body needs a lot of power, but you need to balance and offset that power so you don't wobble over.

I've only really noticed the rail thin people on the long distance running like marathons. XCountry and sprinting/olympics tends to have people who are a lot more massively built on the upper body. They're definitely lean still, but they're ripped like a fucking super hero.

"You are wasting tons of energy if doing this over a long distance, but it is very helpful in the short term"

Just load up at burger king, cheap energy , stop during your run even and offload that massive dump

Long Distance running is a delicate balancing act between fuel (calories/energy), hardware (muscle/joints/tendons/bones), and fucking tummies and butts

You can eat BK during the run sure, and you may even be able to stop and take that hella dump

Oh my god.

i tried to run 2 weekends ago in oppressive humidity and also debilitating first-period-day cramps (yeah period talk deal with it) and it was like, nope, nuh uh, nope, this isnt working and had to walk for most of it

Gut pain is the worst

I have learned to run through a lot of pains but I can't push through gut pain

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Home Movies is due for a renaissance I think, in this era of Jon Benjamin appreciation. The show is so good but I don't think many people saw it.

815165 wrote: »

satnav just died

gonna have to read a map

!!!

It's not possible

You might as well turn around and go home

If you can even find it

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    @Evil Multifarious I have been lusting after a Martin & Co. for many moons now and your acquisition awakened old hungers (altho I was slightly more partial to the sound of the spruce top over the mahogany, in spite of the latter's loveliness).

And I impulse bought yet another hundred dollar electric (since none of my guitars are with me) and have decided to set a goal in Rocksmith hours with a very expensive reward.

So thanks for that.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    "Hey, wait, I recognize you. You're the Kool-Aid man! You used to be big!"
    "I am big. It's the pitchers that got small."

rRwz9.gif

Home Movies is due for a renaissance I think, in this era of Jon Benjamin appreciation. The show is so good but I don't think many people saw it.

Patty still doesn't appreciate Home Movies despite loving H Jon Benjamin. She just can't stomach the animation I think, which is tragic.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i miss guitar but i would prolly regret a 100 dollar purchase and i can't justify spending any more for a hobby right now

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

well the guy who did it has Metalocoplyse now.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    my buddy had a martin acoustic with an interior pickup and it was so nice

so pretty

so sound good

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i miss guitar but i would prolly regret a 100 dollar purchase and i can't justify spending any more for a hobby right now

might be able to find a cheap one at a pawn shop

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My ex fucking loves home movies but I just couldn't really get into it. Then she disappeared forever and stopped returning any communication. Probably related.

Chu if you pay shipping I will send you my shit squier stratocaster for nothin

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Chanus wrote: »

might be able to find a cheap one at a pawn shop

fuq that go make friends with the moody teen who is agonizing over his emotions while strumming his guitar in front of the high school

go scope out the high school boys chu

#solidadvice

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    "Hey, wait, I recognize you. You're the Kool-Aid man! You used to be big!"
    "I am big. It's the pitchers that got small."
    Mooooooom! Dad is quoting Sunset Boulevard again!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Speaking of which Hakkes do you or Beast have any weird tricks to cure the fact that running causes lots of joint pain these days.

Glucosamine pills aren't cutting it.

Maybe I am just an old, :'(

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    bishesss

poo
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

But the savings on hookers

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

I can understand the fucking butts but...how would you fuck a tummy? In the belly button or something? :P

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    kedinik wrote: »

Speaking of which Hakkes do you or Beast have any weird tricks to cure the fact that running causes lots of joint pain these days.

i dunno man im not old enough yet for dis

is it in your knees or are you talking about all joints

cause it might be tendon issue

kedinik wrote: »

drxgiebz8yw9.jpg

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

oh god this made a snot bullet come out of my nose from the loud snort

I guess my eyes sort of half-read this post because I read it as "I'm starting to think going in blind was the right call".

The absence of those two letters changes everything.

Gonmun wrote: »

I can understand the fucking butts but...how would you fuck a tummy? In the belly button or something? :P

where there's a will etc

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    i gotta run on grass now because of knees

><

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular

Oh my god.

i tried to run 2 weekends ago in oppressive humidity and also debilitating first-period-day cramps (yeah period talk deal with it) and it was like, nope, nuh uh, nope, this isnt working and had to walk for most of it

Gut pain is the worst

I have learned to run through a lot of pains but I can't push through gut pain
    my butt pain was pretty bad at javelina but it wasn't gut, it was just turtle head for like 5 miles

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited June 2015

But the savings on hookers

oh my god with chu's last name, eyepatch, and rough-and-tumble east coast demeanor he could fucking clean up on groupies if he joined one of those kind of irish rock townie band things that play songs about sam adams lager and "kiss my blarney stone" and shit

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I heard something about fucking butts?

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    p.s. Mid-marathon orange slices were the best taste I have ever tasted.

I think my body was convinced it was dying, so it was desperate to reinforce the propriety of eating sugar and drinking water.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.