As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ffffffine.

i feel lonely right now.

is that still too vague?

I don't think that alarm ever turns off

okay, fine, you want details? i'll give you details. i'll give you details that will make me wish i didn't.

i'm a real shut-in. I have been ever since a really bad bromance break-up caused by my own assholish nature. That happened about 8-10 years ago. Basically, my best friend kinda dropped me for other, better friends and i never really healed.

Problem is, I get lonely every once in a while because, as introverted as i may be, being a shut-in is not fun all the time.

One thing i never managed to do but wanted to is play an actual real-life tabletop RPG campaign with people. And i really would love to do that. i tried online Tabletop RPGs, with programs, over IRC or play-by-post and it just doesn't really work for me.

Anyway, until I can manage to heal over that time when a person i considered my best friend decided that i was a bad person, I think i'll keep getting lonely every once in a while. it's kinda hard to get a better sense of self-worth when you also struggle with depression, tho.

Aaaanyways, i hope that's enough details.

Have you thought about mending that bond?

Might help, or, at worst, give you some closure that you need.

Find a group that gets together and join them for the tabletop thing. If it doesn't work or you don't like it, don't go back again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    What did dogs do before tennis balls?

The St. Bernard puppy likes to play with sliced limes...

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Two spiders of different species are having a showdown for premium territory.

Sitting motionless in a large web a few inches away from each other.

The smaller spider lost his nerve after a few minutes and Indiana Jones'd down the wall.

More news as it breaks.

Why didn't you use the time to get some matches and burn them to death?

I don't like killing stuff. And spiders are usually good house guests.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    My D&D bro asked if I had any GURPS books

should I be worried

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    1311548606760883088.png

ok this is a pretty cute way to communicate with other players online

especially NOOOOOOO link

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Sticks are equally good substitutes to tennis balls.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    My D&D bro asked if I had an GURPS books

should I be worried

YES

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Ffffffine.

i feel lonely right now.

is that still too vague?

okay, fine, you want details? i'll give you details. i'll give you details that will make me wish i didn't.

i'm a real shut-in. I have been ever since a really bad bromance break-up caused by my own assholish nature. That happened about 8-10 years ago. Basically, my best friend kinda dropped me for other, better friends and i never really healed.

Problem is, I get lonely every once in a while because, as introverted as i may be, being a shut-in is not fun all the time.

One thing i never managed to do but wanted to is play an actual real-life tabletop RPG campaign with people. And i really would love to do that. i tried online Tabletop RPGs, with programs, over IRC or play-by-post and it just doesn't really work for me.

Anyway, until I can manage to heal over that time when a person i considered my best friend decided that i was a bad person, I think i'll keep getting lonely every once in a while. it's kinda hard to get a better sense of self-worth when you also struggle with depression, tho.

Have you thought about mending that bond?

Might help, or, at worst, give you some closure that you need.

Find a group that gets together and join them for the tabletop thing. If it doesn't work or you don't like it, don't go back again.

I have but the wound is still pretty painful to this day.

As for finding a group, that's not really something I could do until i move to the city or get a car and neither seem possible in the short term. otherwise, i just don't have the time or the means to show up regularly.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

should I be worried

Yes.

Get him FATAL or something else that's less horrible.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

Man, I feel like I type that thing every day. Geth should just know.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think DK just meant that there is always someone being vague somewhere on the Internet.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ffffffine.

i feel lonely right now.

is that still too vague?

So I was just joking and also itching to post the vague alarm. I'd been sitting on it too long.

But I want you to know that this here is genuinely better than sighs and frowny faces, and declarations that you don't feel good, or whatever. Those things feel like you are baiting people into an unrewarding interaction to selfishly fill an emotional need.

This on the other hand is something we can engage with and relate to or skip over if we're not interested.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    spool i read a lot about breastfeeding today because of you and also because it was tangentially related to work and then it was relevant in work

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    What did dogs do before tennis balls?

The St. Bernard puppy likes to play with sliced limes...

Hmm, limes: natures tennis balls.

• Options
    Ffffffine.

i feel lonely right now.

is that still too vague?

So I was just joking and also itching to post the vague alarm. I'd been sitting on it too long.

But I want you to know that this here is genuinely better than sighs and frowny faces, and declarations that you don't feel good, or whatever. Those things feel like you are baiting an unrewarding interaction from other people to fulfill an emotional need.

This is something we can engage with and relate to or skip over if we're not interested.

Yeah, you're right.

i'm just constantly afraid of bumming people out with my weird idiosyncrasies. it's something i need to work on.

• Options
    Getting it out makes you feel better in the long run and helps you cope, though, 21st.

Bottling up emotions just makes it worse.

Especially if we can help.

A lot of us have been through that situation a few times.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »

should I be worried

YES

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

Man, I feel like I type that thing every day. Geth should just know.

why doesn't it learn???

*attaches geth to the human centipede*

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    I really need to move to the city. It would give me a lot more time and opportunities to socialize.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    kXdH7GOl.jpg

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    toitles

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    trying to get a suite downtown Chicago for my annual gathering of friends

everything is booked the entire month of September

what

who are all these people

wtf

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    @21stCentury, bro, I feel what you are saying 100%.

You are most certainly not an isolated case of this kind of shit happening, it's ok to be hurt and depressed by it, and while no one can make that pain go away, know that there are a lot of us that share or have shared it. It sucks to lose a friend, and it sucks worse to be an introvert and unable to see any way to have meaningful interactions with other people when you have no one to interact with.

So. Much. Brofist.

:bro:

Houn on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I really need to move to the city. It would give me a lot more time and opportunities to socialize.
    In your situation, getting shared housing with people your own age would probably be pretty beneficial. Your commute is bad isn't it? So you gain time and you gain some people to hang out with.
    They'll probably have some very terrible habits but it'd also a sort of base level of socializing.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

what

who are all these people

wtf

I'll tell you what isn't happening

I definitely didn't book out the suites for me and all my narwhal friends for our clandestine invasion of Illinois

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

what

who are all these people

wtf

I'll tell you what isn't happening

I definitely didn't book out the suites for me and all my narwhal friends for our clandestine invasion of Illinois

omg and by doing so you're keeping all the sharks out

the state will be defenseless!

you sonofa-

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i didn't even know there was an ask tube thread and now i've lost my afternoon reading it

what a lovely day!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    We've thought through every step, Landshark!

We will not be stopped - unless we forget to actually do the invasion

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Geth, eat your veggies.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    well this is a bummer

basically there's a possibility I can get an educational grant from the government to go back to school

but it basically has to be something i can make a fair argument there's a good job market for and that i can reasonably do given my disability

i was trying to angle for IT/sysadmin but as it turns out upon further inspection the college course i was looking at on that is not all it's cracked up to be and is sorta bogus

and i'm not really sure what to do

i have this opportunity

i don't know what to do with it

i don't want to go back to school for more than a year, tops

so anything that's a proper degree is basically out

trades aren't necessarily out by default but name me a trade that isn't going to be a problem for the fact that i am physically disabled or that i don't drive

harumph

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Two spiders of different species are having a showdown for premium territory.

Sitting motionless in a large web a few inches away from each other.

The smaller spider lost his nerve after a few minutes and Indiana Jones'd down the wall.

More news as it breaks.

Why didn't you use the time to get some matches and burn them to death?

I don't like killing stuff. And spiders are usually good house guests.

It's a trick.

Spiders are highly intelligent and chaotic evil.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I walked by my old apartment yesterday and the building was demolished. I asked someone on a porch across the street how long it had been that way.

Apparently they kicked everyone out in the middle of the winter, during the unprecedented blizzard we had, because the heat failed and they ran out of money to clear the snow. The updated lease agreements, the ones that I moved out because they were so awful and one-sided, allowed them to do that. They knocked the building down in March. Had I stayed, I would have had 4 more months, then a few weeks of hell with no heat, no water, and nowhere to put my car, then I would have had to find a new place, all in the middle of the worst winter on record.

Holy shit that dodged bullet!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    hello!

Wow chat is hopping today

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    @21stCentury Do you feel like there's anything a group could do to make it less intimidating to pick up?

I'm kind of doing work locally to help people connect with this sort of stuff. And I know one big thing that keeps coming up is that a lot of people into tabletop gaming are also super nervous about just busting in on strangers.

So far my strategy of "personally befriend everyone and introduce them to each other" doesn't seem like it will scale.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    In this game you punch people

just don't do the riddler missions, oh god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wiw_U5Wlg

• Options
    21stCentury Do you feel like there's anything a group could do to make it less intimidating to pick up?

I'm kind of doing work locally to help people connect with this sort of stuff. And I know one big thing that keeps coming up is that a lot of people into tabletop gaming are also super nervous about just busting in on strangers.

So far my strategy of "personally befriend everyone and introduce them to each other" doesn't seem like it will scale.

Pick up what? RPGs?

i never actually played an RPGs in real life with other people.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Holy. Shit.

I am going to curbstomp someone tomorrow.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    If you have a bad enough stutter, nothing rhymes.

maeks u thnk

Each syllable in the stutter rhymes with the other stutter syllables.

In a way, the worst stutterers rhyme more than anyone else in the world.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.