As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    trying to get a suite downtown Chicago for my annual gathering of friends

everything is booked the entire month of September

what

who are all these people

wtf

AHEM

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    sort of sitting here looking through college courses going

"too long. too long. too long. not employable. not employable. too long. not employable"

frustrating

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    21stCentury Do you feel like there's anything a group could do to make it less intimidating to pick up?

I'm kind of doing work locally to help people connect with this sort of stuff. And I know one big thing that keeps coming up is that a lot of people into tabletop gaming are also super nervous about just busting in on strangers.

So far my strategy of "personally befriend everyone and introduce them to each other" doesn't seem like it will scale.

Pick up what? RPGs?

i never actually played an RPGs in real life with other people.

Yeah that's what I mean. Like is there something that could be done by other people to lower the perceived barrier to entry?

Like if there were a group around that super wanted to have someone like you come play, what would be the easiest way to make that happen?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

"too long. too long. too long. not employable. not employable. too long. not employable"

frustrating

Do things like the MCSE Certifications qualify for the grant?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This shit with my old building reminds me, the last conversation I had with that landlord was basically:

"This offer is insulting, I will not be renewing my lease, you are a terrible person, and I wish to never see you again. Please call me when the new building is up, you have my number."

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

frustrating

That one-year limit is a real limit.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @syndalis Vizio 55" 1080 screen on sale ordered for in store pickup

I will be Forza-ing in glory

Reviews seem fine and it has RCA audio outs which is helpful

I don't care about the built in apps really since it will really be my xbone display

It does have a USB port too which might be handy

I could get a chrome cast thingy or whatever

I will report back when it is Forza time

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    trying to get a suite downtown Chicago for my annual gathering of friends

everything is booked the entire month of September

what

who are all these people

wtf

AHEM

what are you doing reserving all these suites sharkbro

(yeah we should totes hang)

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    dammit U2 tix went to someone else cuz we couldn't immediately say yes due to sitter issues

(we did find a sitter but it took 30 minutes)

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Mostly like I know a person who actually designs and sells RPGs now, and didn't feel comfortable getting into RPGs themselves until super late in the game. And even that was a fluke! Literally bought a game to go over the $10 minimum at a shop and decided they might as well finally play a pen-and-paper game for real.

There's a lot of nerves that come with any sort of social gaming and I'd love to figure out ways to reduce them.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Boss held a goodbye lunch as our team dies under the weight of fucked up contracts. Like half the people are leaving.

But all of us are now stuffed full of chinese food and given free reign to slack off the rest of the day.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »
    Boss held a goodbye lunch as our team dies under the weight of fucked up contracts. Like half the people are leaving.

But all of us are now stuffed full of chinese food and given free reign to slack off the rest of the day.

didn't you just get that job

kedinik wrote: »

frustrating

yes, well

i'm 32 years old

i'm using a government grant program that i have to fight for and justify

trying to go for a bachelor's or something at this stage in the game is just not possible

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Pony why not find a proper IT program? Surely there are real programs to help you get certs

That cert list is a good list, do maybe can you use the grant to get them?

Lh96QHG.png
    desc wrote: »
    syndalis Vizio 55" 1080 screen on sale ordered for in store pickup

I will be Forza-ing in glory

Reviews seem fine and it has RCA audio outs which is helpful

I don't care about the built in apps really since it will really be my xbone display

It does have a USB port too which might be handy

I could get a chrome cast thingy or whatever

I will report back when it is Forza time

vizio is the best value these days good purchase smart use of internet a++

Aioua wrote: »

didn't you just get that job

Well I just got it back, with the agency that is losing the contract.

(I had previously left that agency for the one who was going to win the contract then they got in a fight and that's how I lost the job.)

I'm moving onto a different team, where my company did get the contract. Sadly, most of my coworkers weren't so lucky and are going to be looking for work next week. :(

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Matt, I thought the conversation you were in in the Tube thread about RL names vs forum names was super interesting. Do you just not like Pony because it's Pony or because it's not your real name though? Like, if it was something else, would you be more comfortable being called it?

Edit: Wait, sorry for calling you Pony in a post about why you don't like being called Pony *headdesk*

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

frustrating

yes, well

i'm 32 years old

i'm using a government grant program that i have to fight for and justify

trying to go for a bachelor's or something at this stage in the game is just not possible

If online courses qualify, then there's a super wide range of options. There's the MSCEs I menioned earlier, ISEB/ISTQB etc.

Though with these, it's better to find the job you want, then look at the certs it requires, since there's too many to approach it from the other way.

Move to New Zealand
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Why cant I wake up

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    21stCentury Do you feel like there's anything a group could do to make it less intimidating to pick up?

I'm kind of doing work locally to help people connect with this sort of stuff. And I know one big thing that keeps coming up is that a lot of people into tabletop gaming are also super nervous about just busting in on strangers.

So far my strategy of "personally befriend everyone and introduce them to each other" doesn't seem like it will scale.

Pick up what? RPGs?

i never actually played an RPGs in real life with other people.

Yeah that's what I mean. Like is there something that could be done by other people to lower the perceived barrier to entry?

Like if there were a group around that super wanted to have someone like you come play, what would be the easiest way to make that happen?

i would probably only play with people I already know a bit, honestly.

Which is why i'm a bit leery of just looking for a group, y'know.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Why cant I wake up

*offers pot of coffee and frat-style funnel*

Pony, I thought the conversation you were in in the Tube thread about RL names vs forum names was super interesting. Do you just not like Pony because it's Pony or because it's not your real name though? Like, if it was something else, would you be more comfortable being called it?

Maybe it is his real name...

Move to New Zealand
    Why cant I wake up

This isn't how the "you're in a coma" gaslighting goes.

When I created this account many years ago, one of the potential names I was going to pick was "I'm a pony", because it was a name I was using on a MUD game, and I found it amusing.

Move to New Zealand
    Why cant I wake up

because you never went to sleep

god im so deep right now just place me right into philo 201 I ain't need no intro classes

I picked the best username because lots of people call me Nico in real life, and it is close tomy real name anyway

BC actually does bring up a point btw

if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

hey if people could do that

that'd be super

Necronomicon?

Move to New Zealand
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Oh god, @Hakkekage Polygon got some new deets on this Fire Emblem thing. The good news is that this new one has same-sex marriage in it! Cool, good for you Nintendo! Except not only does it sound like they are definitely going to do the two completely separate versions thing, but gay male relationships are exclusive to one game, and gay lady relationships are exclusive to the other. Conquest has man on man action, Birthright for your waifu on waifu needs.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8836513/fire-emblem-fates-same-sex-relationships-nintendo

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

that'd be super

How about something in the middle, like Puddin'.

Pony why not find a proper IT program? Surely there are real programs to help you get certs

That cert list is a good list, do maybe can you use the grant to get them?

I've been trying to find a proper IT program

I literally live on a god damn island

my access to educational institutions are limited.

My username was a randomly generated XBox Gamertag that I actually really liked and chose to use for all my Online Gaming needs. I use it here because I don't want any of you nerds to be able to find my Fanfiction.net profile, the handle for which is what my other main handle is based off of

But we already have a chat matt!

Ok fine... Matt

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

that'd be super

ok, but why for?

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    guys i have the worst name quit bitching I DID THIS TO MYSELF

poo
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Why cant I wake up

You have been inceptioned while inceptioned while inceptioned.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Oh god, @Hakkekage Polygon got some new deets on this Fire Emblem thing. The good news is that this new one has same-sex marriage in it! Cool, good for you Nintendo! Except not only does it sound like they are definitely going to do the two completely separate versions thing, but gay male relationships are exclusive to one game, and gay lady relationships are exclusive to the other. Conquest has man on man action, Birthright for your waifu on waifu needs.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8836513/fire-emblem-fates-same-sex-relationships-nintendo

niceeee

although this article is more valuable to me for confirming that the two games will be sold separately in the US

BUNDURU PLEASE NINTENDO

GIVE ME DEESCOUNT

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Oh god, Hakkekage Polygon got some new deets on this Fire Emblem thing. The good news is that this new one has same-sex marriage in it! Cool, good for you Nintendo! Except not only does it sound like they are definitely going to do the two completely separate versions thing, but gay male relationships are exclusive to one game, and gay lady relationships are exclusive to the other. Conquest has man on man action, Birthright for your waifu on waifu needs.

I guess if I ever get that game I will have to get birther version then

I like my name but nobody ever calls me by it.

This discussion has been closed.