As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Matt, I thought the conversation you were in in the Tube thread about RL names vs forum names was super interesting. Do you just not like Pony because it's Pony or because it's not your real name though? Like, if it was something else, would you be more comfortable being called it?

Edit: Wait, sorry for calling you Pony in a post about why you don't like being called Pony *headdesk*

to answer your question directly

I don't like being called Pony for two reasons

1. Is I don't like MLP and I never have and I don't want to be associated with it, this username predates the existence of MLP:FiM and its meteoric rise in popularity and the "brony" phenomenon and I want to be as far away from that as humanly possible. Hence why I don't use an actual pony avatar anymore, for example.
    2. The name Pony I associate with the forumer identity Pony, and who I used to really be on this forum and the kind of things I used to do and say. I do not like that person and do not want to be associated with that person anymore. It's bad memories, bad feelings, bad history. I want to walk away from it. I have grown up a lot in the ten years I've been posting here and I am not the person I was when I started. I am not really Pony anymore.

but could you be just a little bit chad? i want to know a chad... i dont know one... can somebody be my chad Q_Q

*sigh*

*opens costume closet and fishes out puka shell necklace*
    faded A&F t
    puka shell necklace
    some banging sandals and aviators

shit I actually own all these things

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i don't mind being called "Gabe", FYI, BTW.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I was never more nervous than when I went to meet everyone at PAXSouth.
    Like, beyond nervous.

but why? you're awesome, meeting friends is awesome, what's to worry about?

It's easy to be confident when you can shark whoever crosses you.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Matt, I thought the conversation you were in in the Tube thread about RL names vs forum names was super interesting. Do you just not like Pony because it's Pony or because it's not your real name though? Like, if it was something else, would you be more comfortable being called it?

Edit: Wait, sorry for calling you Pony in a post about why you don't like being called Pony *headdesk*

to answer your question directly

I don't like being called Pony for two reasons

1. Is I don't like MLP and I never have and I don't want to be associated with it, this username predates the existence of MLP:FiM and its meteoric rise in popularity and the "brony" phenomenon and I want to be as far away from that as humanly possible. Hence why I don't use an actual pony avatar anymore, for example.
    2. The name Pony I associate with the forumer identity Pony, and who I used to really be on this forum and the kind of things I used to do and say. I do not like that person and do not want to be associated with that person anymore. It's bad memories, bad feelings, bad history. I want to walk away from it. I have grown up a lot in the ten years I've been posting here and I am not the person I was when I started. I am not really Pony anymore.

but could you be just a little bit chad? i want to know a chad... i dont know one... can somebody be my chad Q_Q

*sigh*

*opens costume closet and fishes out puka shell necklace*
    faded A&F t
    puka shell necklace
    some banging sandals and aviators

shit I actually own all these things
    me too

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have a gray hair, I think.

I'm an old man.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    my Fanfiction.net profile
    how embarrassing is it

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I gave up trying to get anyone new to call me by my old forum name because it's unreasonable. Regina Fong is right there <--- and that's unavoidable.

However, it remains as a super not very secret codename that people can use that will in all likelihood endear them to me.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I'll call Luke Luke, too.

And median age?

I'll median KILL YOU.

(I'm not sure how that works)

am I smiling right now cuz you made a funny joke

or because I am subtly reminding you that i have 50 giant teeth honed by millions of years of evolution for a singular brutal purpose

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of names and internet identities, my friend and I have been introducing ourselves with our real names when recording our podcast and I'm wondering if that's something I'm comfortable with. I mean, this is what everybody on every podcast seems to do already, and no one will ever really listen to mine I'm sure, but at the same time it's not as if I am just going around volunteering my first and last name to the [chat] thread normally, right? That would seem like a silly thing to do, and why would anybody do it? But if I were to post a link to this podcast, I would be doing just that. Not sure what to do, could just do first names?

Make up an alias with a cool last name?

See, doing a podcast is a business venture. (Even if you're only doing it for fun.) I think that's a reasonable place to use your real name. Using an internet handle, especially if there's no associated character that makes sense to go with it, seems unnecessary.

Its on personal stuff where you're not going to be censoring yourself (forums, twitter, etc) that I think you should keep it under a handle.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    but yeah, that was funny

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i wanted to write fanfiction but never did...

So in that aspect, I am jealous of you, BC.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I gave up trying to get anyone new to call me by my old forum name because it's unreasonable. Regina Fong is right there <--- and that's unavoidable.

However, it remains as a super not very secret codename that people can use that will in all likelihood endear them to me.

do you actually like jeeps though?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Like, beyond nervous.

well what if every terrible thing I said on the internet was read back to me
    and then there was a small room where everyone shared their feelings about everything I said
    and like spool32 and family hated me for being a jerk on the internet
    that was my biggest fear

don't worry cloud you're great and also I am sending u hugs

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I'm actually not like, completely tied to this idea of going into IT

i just don't know what else to do

this government grant thing is an opportunity, I'm just not sure what else to do with it

I don't know how far I can push it, in terms of how many years of school I can push out of it

I know a year can work, beyond that I don't know

but to be honest I don't think I want to be in school more than a year because that'd be more years my wife and I have to live with her parents because I'm not working full time

(our current living situation is we are renting a room from her parents and have been for a year and they're being super good about it and it's fine for now but we want our own place, we just can't afford it with me not working and to live stably on our own I need to be working at least 20-30 hours a week)

A big factor is also my back

my back is fuuuuuuuuucked and it puts a big damper on the kind of jobs I can do

I'm sorta restricted to white collar officey shit that doesn't really require a lot of standing

like even something as simple as like, dental assistant?

nope, that's standing and stooping like all the fucking time, no way yo

you are still jeepguy to me

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    how embarrassing is it

I assume she describes sex like GRRM describes food

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Jeepers!

Like, beyond nervous.

and then there was a small room where everyone shared their feelings about everything I said
    that was my biggest fear

your Mom and Dad were so nice and cool
    I was just TERRIFIED
    same with meeting Ludious and Chelle and CptRugged the first time

I pour my heart and soul out to anonymous very close friends on the internet
    not sure why actually meeting them scared me so much
    :P
    <3 everyone

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Like, beyond nervous.

that was my biggest fear

I read this as "you're on cloud great".

And you are.

It's like three above 9.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    how embarrassing is it

Not at all embarrassing and the nickname I got from it is even a passable nickname for my RL name
    I've never had a username I wouldn't be comfortable just being called.

how embarrassing is it

who wrote the redwall series?

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

hey if people could do that

that'd be super

put that in your sig, maybe?

I'll try to remember, Matt. :)

Putting it in my sig or title is basically like trying to make fetch happen.

Making fetch happen is so easy though.

Yeah it's nearly as familiar to me as my real name (which is weird... but true). Fong is alright.

Nobody wants to be called Regina, including people actually named Regina.

You can still do it!

My fanfiction isn't even that awful and it was all written multiple years ago so I wouldn't even be that embarrassed by it, it's the "Liked/Followed Stories" tab that I want to keep you nerds out of

Yeah it's nearly as familiar to me as my real name (which is weird... but true). Fong is alright.

mean girls didn't help that one
    ):

how embarrassing is it

who wrote the redwall series?

Brian Jacques

I'm an old man.

I still look like im 20 apparently

but the grim reaper knows the truth

mean girls didn't help that one
    ):

No, no it did not.

Also there is a Redwall cookbook and one time my dad made vegetable pies out of it and they were incredibly good

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I

I'm an old man.

"A" gray hair?

*chortle*

Run along now you little scamp and fetch my reading glasses and slippers for me like a good lad

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've got a few ideas for fanfics but taking time to write them would be time not spent turning space nazis into masses of gore and pixie dust

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Pony why not find a proper IT program? Surely there are real programs to help you get certs

That cert list is a good list, do maybe can you use the grant to get them?

I've been trying to find a proper IT program

I literally live on a god damn island

my access to educational institutions are limited.

ah, didn't know your local

also sorry for forgetting the Matt thing, Matt

Can you do online programs?

Lh96QHG.png
    desc wrote: »
    I

I'm an old man.

"A" gray hair?

*chortle*

Run along now you little scamp and fetch my reading glasses and slippers for me like a good lad
    You're actually talking to your wife of 60 years right now.

;_;

funny.

I've been on this project as a QA tester for, like, 2 and a half months now.

and I still get teary eyed at an emotional moment in the beginning of the game... every. single. time.

Like, I would've thought i'd be desensitized by now, but nope.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Speaking of names and internet identities, my friend and I have been introducing ourselves with our real names when recording our podcast and I'm wondering if that's something I'm comfortable with. I mean, this is what everybody on every podcast seems to do already, and no one will ever really listen to mine I'm sure, but at the same time it's not as if I am just going around volunteering my first and last name to the [chat] thread normally, right? That would seem like a silly thing to do, and why would anybody do it? But if I were to post a link to this podcast, I would be doing just that. Not sure what to do, could just do first names?

Make up an alias with a cool last name?

See, doing a podcast is a business venture. (Even if you're only doing it for fun.) I think that's a reasonable place to use your real name. Using an internet handle, especially if there's no associated character that makes sense to go with it, seems unnecessary.

Its on personal stuff where you're not going to be censoring yourself (forums, twitter, etc) that I think you should keep it under a handle.

I can see how that distinction makes sense, but it still leaves me in a weird place RE: sharing it here. I guess the solution is "don't do it", which is perfectly acceptable (@Winky, for example, famously adheres to this policy), but I'm really just musing about why I feel that reticence about sharing it.

also I had to stop and think about how old I was

the true mark of age

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular

I'm an old man.

I still look like im 20 apparently

but the cthulu knows the truth

Can't mix up your overlords like that shark. They get jelly.

Especially since it's a lame town.

You can still do it!

My fanfiction isn't even that awful and it was all written multiple years ago so I wouldn't even be that embarrassed by it, it's the "Liked/Followed Stories" tab that I want to keep you nerds out of

i don't have the patience to write...

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Nobody writes good smut until they're at least 30.

Even mine is riddled with adverb-adjective combinations that don't invoke the correct kind of carnal response.

The lewdest stuff is probably written by like 65-75 year old ladies.

You can develop your craft, but you won't be a journeyman sex describer until you get a few years under your belt, with your belt off, etc.

This discussion has been closed.