As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Playstation] thread will grant you three wishes

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Why are there puzzles based around getting your car somewhere

This is so. fucking. stupid.

I've only done the first one.

Please tell me there aren't too many more.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also that Polygon review was like, factually incorrect

During that sequence with the monologuing villain, they totally handhold and tell you what to do

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I actually thnk that aside from the problematic way the female characters are used, Knight's story and dialogue is pretty damn enjoyable.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah here's the thing

A lot of people are saying knights writing is bad

I don't disagree with that really

Its super enjoyable though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Maximum wrote: »
    Why are there puzzles based around getting your car somewhere

This is so. fucking. stupid.

I've only done the first one.

Please tell me there aren't too many more.

I

Really like those

They're silly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm actually very much enjoying the writing in Arkham Knight, barring the shitty treatment of the female cast

Which is overall a tremendous drag on the game as a whole, more than any Batmobile puzzles could be

6F32U1X.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Yeah here's the thing

A lot of people are saying knights writing is bad

I don't disagree with that really

Its super enjoyable though

I completely agree. It's a fun game with forgettable writing and some damned troubling treatment of its female cast.

No I don't.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It's a junk food superhero story, much like the other games. And in that context it's pretty fun.

Like I'm not sure that riddler is SUPPOSED to be funny, but hes hysterical so...

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I want to like the story more but the treatment of its women is so central to it and so bad that it isn't happening

CYpGAPn.png
    I've been getting pretty into it but if you can't get past that yeah its gonna be rough

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    There's a glut of fantastic games out there to play.
    I don't begrudge anyone enjoying the new batman game, but I will not be missing anything in life if I skip it.

VayBJ4e.png
    There's a glut of fantastic games out there to play.
    I don't begrudge anyone enjoying the new batman game, but I will not be missing anything in life if I skip it.

That's true

unfortunately there's still nothing out there that's actually done the combat right, with the possible exception of mordor

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I actually like the mordor combat way more than Batman's, but it is specifically because it isn't as challenging, so that's not going to be as fun for some people.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I want to like the story more but the treatment of its women is so central to it and so bad that it isn't happening

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's the game doing that's so terrible regarding women? Spoilers are fine, as I have no plans to play the game

Didgeridoo wrote: »

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what's the game doing that's so terrible regarding women? Spoilers are fine, as I have no plans to play the game

Pretty much every female character needs to be rescued at some point

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

All the female characters are either kidnapped, killed, used as a piece of equipment, or a combination of the three.

No I don't.
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I lent my ps4 to a friend so he could play bloodborne. Thankfully this should give me some time to actually hear stuff on Batman before I decide to get it or not.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I would probably play a batman game for the story, because I'm a terrible nerdo.
    Probably via an easy mode if it's available, and while following an gamefaq so I wouldn't miss content.

VayBJ4e.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Yeesh, thanks for the heads-up guys!

Quick question for anyone playing it

Is there any way to make the controller not make noise when you first turn the game on?

Everyone is treated as a plot device or object for male angst
    Oracle is kidnapped about an hour in to drive a wedge between Bruce and Gordon and eventually shoots herself after being dosed by fear gas (which is later revealed to be a fake-out but it is shit writing either way).

Catwoman is kidnapped by Riddler and forced to wear an explosive collar and wait to be rescued by Batman.

Poison Ivy is imprisoned by Scarecrow and then imprisoned by Batman and then forced to go with Batman's plan or else "he will burn every plant in Gotham."

And apparently the Harley Quinn DLC has Penguin call her a harlot a ton and literally ask how much her going rate is. Because she's a whore. And also she is just obeying Scarecrow the whole time.

CYpGAPn.png
    Alternate question

Does ANYONE like controller speakers

I do

I was literally thinking

I bet vow does

As I typed it

Shadow of Mordor used it pretty well

So did Infamous 3

I wish more PS4 games used it

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, everyone is treated as a plot device. That's one of the things I've been most disappointed by so far with Arkham Knight, if it's not the main storyline, every character is basically a quest dispenser or, in one case, literally a button you hit to start a VR sequence.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I didn't realize Mordor used controller speakers

Alternate question

Does ANYONE like controller speakers

Me, when I'm playing Silent Hill Shattered Memories or Transistor

6F32U1X.png
    I didn't realize Mordor used controller speakers

Did you maybe turn it off?

It lets out a metallic *shink* like a sword being unsheathed to let you know you have an execution ready, also when you walk over bushes or stone or whatever, the speaker simulates the sound of what you're walking over

Also in loading screens that's how they feed the story to you

Oh, duh, I played it on PC,with a 360 controller

Probably why I didn't realize

I know you can disable the volume of the controller speakers on a system level, via the controller on ps4.
    If you use headphones you can set an option to have it route into the headset instead.

VayBJ4e.png
    I know you can disable the volume of the controller speakers on a system level, via the controller on ps4.
    If you use headphones you can set an option to have it route into the headset instead.

Oh, thanks! I didn't know you could do it at system level

But yeah there's a lot of gross stuff in batman

I would say that there have also already been a lot of very good moments

If you're not into this type of game this isn't gonna win you over

If you like being batman and can get past some gross elements, its probably the tightest playing of the series

Fighting dudes I so much fun

I think the reason the Batmobile puzzles piss me off so much is because it feels so contrived

You're not doing anything special you haven't done in Asylum or City, but suddenly you need the Batmobile to blow up a wall or rescue hostages or some bullshit

If this were Asylum or City I would have gotten in with explosive gel and grappled hostages to safety, because you do just that in those games

It feels like the worst justification just to include a stupid feature

Also @blankzilla
    the moment the arkham knight was like "the symbol is the strongest part of the armor" I was like they are not even trying to hide this huh

Also blankzilla
    the moment the arkham knight was like "the symbol is the strongest part of the armor" I was like they are not even trying to hide this huh
    If I didn't already know, it wouldn't have meant anything to me

But I don't know anything about the character he really is, anyway

It's just a name I've heard before

6F32U1X.png
    I think the reason the Batmobile puzzles piss me off so much is because it feels so contrived

You're not doing anything special you haven't done in Asylum or City, but suddenly you need the Batmobile to blow up a wall or rescue hostages or some bullshit

If this were Asylum or City I would have gotten in with explosive gel and grappled hostages to safety, because you do just that in those games

It feels like the worst justification just to include a stupid feature

I disagree

The sequence where
    the knight corners you and the batmobile is behind them and you use the remote on them was genuinely super cool

It is some abilities that you've had before bound to this object, which gives it more personality for me

Mr. G wrote: »
    Also blankzilla

Yeah if you know nothing about Jason Todd then it isn't super obvious

But if you know even the most basic version of Red Hood's story then it is SUPER SUPER OBVIOUS

CYpGAPn.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Also blankzilla

Yeah if you know nothing about Jason Todd then it isn't super obvious

But if you know even the most basic version of Red Hood's story then it is SUPER SUPER OBVIOUS
    Yeah, it's just a name I've heard

I hope they're not just gonna go "it's Jason Todd!" and then expect me to care because I won't

But it's not like they've built him up in previous games at all

This discussion has been closed.