As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    i wanted to write fanfiction but never did...

So in that aspect, I am jealous of you, BC.

You can still do it!

My fanfiction isn't even that awful and it was all written multiple years ago so I wouldn't even be that embarrassed by it, it's the "Liked/Followed Stories" tab that I want to keep you nerds out of

I would show you guys my tumblr (under duress). I would show you guys who I follow on tumblr only as part of a suicide note.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

You can still do it!

My fanfiction isn't even that awful and it was all written multiple years ago so I wouldn't even be that embarrassed by it, it's the "Liked/Followed Stories" tab that I want to keep you nerds out of

i don't have the patience to write...

Me either, now. I used to write in the middle of the night on my flip phone when I couldn't sleep.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    My son knows that he is going to be 2. My son is awesome.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    funny.

I've been on this project as a QA tester for, like, 2 and a half months now.

and I still get teary eyed at an emotional moment in the beginning of the game... every. single. time.

Like, I would've thought i'd be desensitized by now, but nope.

This scene has been making me cry since the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bag48VyrOpI

It will never be less sad.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wish I was Sir Topham Hatt.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

You can still do it!

I would show you guys my tumblr (under duress). I would show you guys who I follow on tumblr only as part of a suicide note.

Yeah, exactly

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony why not find a proper IT program? Surely there are real programs to help you get certs

That cert list is a good list, do maybe can you use the grant to get them?

I've been trying to find a proper IT program

I literally live on a god damn island

my access to educational institutions are limited.

ah, didn't know your local

also sorry for forgetting the Matt thing, Matt

Can you do online programs?

theoretically yes but they have to actually be worth something

none of this university of phoenix online shit

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Speaking of names and internet identities, my friend and I have been introducing ourselves with our real names when recording our podcast and I'm wondering if that's something I'm comfortable with. I mean, this is what everybody on every podcast seems to do already, and no one will ever really listen to mine I'm sure, but at the same time it's not as if I am just going around volunteering my first and last name to the [chat] thread normally, right? That would seem like a silly thing to do, and why would anybody do it? But if I were to post a link to this podcast, I would be doing just that. Not sure what to do, could just do first names?

Make up an alias with a cool last name?

See, doing a podcast is a business venture. (Even if you're only doing it for fun.) I think that's a reasonable place to use your real name. Using an internet handle, especially if there's no associated character that makes sense to go with it, seems unnecessary.

Its on personal stuff where you're not going to be censoring yourself (forums, twitter, etc) that I think you should keep it under a handle.

I can see how that distinction makes sense, but it still leaves me in a weird place RE: sharing it here. I guess the solution is "don't do it", which is perfectly acceptable (@Winky, for example, famously adheres to this policy), but I'm really just musing about why I feel that reticence about sharing it.

Ah yeah.

That's up to you I guess.

IMO a tenuous link like that is ok. Sure if someone was really digging on you, they'd find it. But if someone is really digging on you there's nothing you can do anyway.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    But, uh, Matt, I'm a forums babby compared to you... how were you before? i've never known you as anything other than a really rad dude.

(You don't need to answer this if you don't want to)

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I enjoy how unattached I am to names.

But I guess my name has always been kind of fluid among friends.

Elementary it was the shortened version of my first name.

By 6th grade started being my last name.

By college it was Rei with my roommates.

Later Sec/Secalem.

Then later Remmek, Grana, and Mazzy/Mazzyx.

I answer to probably 8+ names?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    You'll always be that guy with his arms across his chest to me, jeepguy.

Coinage on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    funny.

and I still get teary eyed at an emotional moment in the beginning of the game... every. single. time.

is you job to look at that video every day?

and picking nits out of it?

:razz:

• Options
    I used to go by Bront because goddamn I loved dinosaurs.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Pony why not find a proper IT program? Surely there are real programs to help you get certs

That cert list is a good list, do maybe can you use the grant to get them?

I've been trying to find a proper IT program

I literally live on a god damn island

my access to educational institutions are limited.

ah, didn't know your local

also sorry for forgetting the Matt thing, Matt

Can you do online programs?

theoretically yes but they have to actually be worth something

none of this university of phoenix online shit

Lots of proper schools have moved online in the last ten years, but most of those programs are also going to be longer than a year.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I used to go by Bront because goddamn I loved dinosaurs.

wait hold on I just got an idea... to the internet!

EDIT: WTF how has no one made a 'bronnasaurus' and shopped Bronn's (from Got) face onto a dino?

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    funny.

The stuff I've tested makes me cry for completely different reasons.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    my Fanfiction.net profile
    how embarrassing is it

I assume she describes sex like GRRM describes food
    who wrote the redwall series?

Brian Jacques

That man knew how to make cordials sound delicious whether or not the reader had any clear idea what the word meant.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    BC I liked your other av better I hope it stops raining soon

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    You guys should just use your real name as your username, it makes it way easier.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I gave up trying to get anyone new to call me by my old forum name because it's unreasonable. Regina Fong is right there <--- and that's unavoidable.

However, it remains as a super not very secret codename that people can use that will in all likelihood endear them to me.

Jeep Fong

• Options
    funny.

The stuff I've tested makes me cry for completely different reasons.

haha.

I'm happy i'm on a project i like and i'm happy that being on it didn't make me hate it.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »
    You guys should just use your real name as your username, it makes it way easier.

I already am.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    my Fanfiction.net profile
    how embarrassing is it

I assume she describes sex like GRRM describes food
    who wrote the redwall series?

Brian Jacques

That man knew how to make cordials sound delicious whether or not the reader had any clear idea what the word meant.

i was 8 years old and had no clue what a goddam scone was other than the most delicious thing in the world

then I finally had one and the disappointment took my breath away

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh I guess Snake Eyes should be on that list too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Julius wrote: »

I already have one stalker, don't need more.

• Options
    I posted lots of rank misogynist garbage when I was a forum babby 10 years ago.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    But, uh, Matt, I'm a forums babby compared to you... how were you before? i've never known you as anything other than a really rad dude.

Kind of a shitbag!

Like you know how I'm kind of a blowhard and I'm really aggressive and opinionated?

Yeah well combine that with being like, just plain mean and completely uncaring about other people's feelings

Especially if they ran afoul of me

That's how I used to roll

It was not good times.

There are people who would call it "entertaining" when I would fuckin' go off on someone, or whatever, but I think that's morbid

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    21stCentury Do you feel like there's anything a group could do to make it less intimidating to pick up?

I'm kind of doing work locally to help people connect with this sort of stuff. And I know one big thing that keeps coming up is that a lot of people into tabletop gaming are also super nervous about just busting in on strangers.

So far my strategy of "personally befriend everyone and introduce them to each other" doesn't seem like it will scale.

Pick up what? RPGs?

i never actually played an RPGs in real life with other people.

Yeah that's what I mean. Like is there something that could be done by other people to lower the perceived barrier to entry?

Like if there were a group around that super wanted to have someone like you come play, what would be the easiest way to make that happen?

i would probably only play with people I already know a bit, honestly.

Which is why i'm a bit leery of just looking for a group, y'know.

Hmmmm

Hmmm

The thing is the sort of people who play these time-consuming hobbyist things tend to do that all the time! So they don't meet new people. Maybe there needs to be like an exchange friend program.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    All I'm saying is that most women are weaker than men -- that is just a fact. And that the most accomplished people in nearly all fields are men.

These are just facts! I'm just saying.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    And then one day someone asked me well why are you just saying these things, what is your point?

I did not have a good answer and this sparked serious self-reflection.

• Options
    LOL, right now i'm listeningto a song that's linked to the emotional moment in the project i'm working on.

The feels, man.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I
    I have a gray hair, I think.

I'm an old man.

"A" gray hair?

*chortle*

Run along now you little scamp and fetch my reading glasses and slippers for me like a good lad
    You're actually talking to your wife of 60 years right now.

;_;

Deg nebbit, Muriel! *shakes cane*

• Options
    I've started asking my son if he wants to be "really useful" when I'm trying to get him to do sketching he doesn't want to. It has worked so far. Thank you, Thomas!

• Options
    Thank god that back when I still believed all sorts of terrible shit I didn't really post on the internet.

Posted on like, a help forum for the O.H.R.RPG.C.E. that was it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    you guys can call me Burt if you want

that's not my name but

i'm not one to quash someone's dreams

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I enjoy how unattached I am to names.

But I guess my name has always been kind of fluid among friends.

Elementary it was the shortened version of my first name.

By 6th grade started being my last name.

By college it was Rei with my roommates.

Later Sec/Secalem.

Then later Remmek, Grana, and Mazzy/Mazzyx.

I answer to probably 8+ names?

Yeah this is kind of how I feel about it, too. I enjoy all my names. I don't really even have a preference. There are some permutations of my RL name that are sort of family-only or that wouldn't make sense out of the context of a specific group of friends, but I don't like those names any more than any other, they just don't mean the same thing/don't work outside of the places they came from. It's not that I'm not attached to my name, it's just that I'm attached to all my names and nicknames pretty equally.

I like being Cleric just as much as I liked being Butterfly or Ellie or Day when I was in elementary school or as much as I like being Andy or Lina or anything else (none of those are my RL name). I don't really have a strong preference.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    LOL, right now i'm listeningto a song that's linked to the emotional moment in the project i'm working on.

The feels, man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFJ1r6_4mW4

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

Kind of a shitbag!

Like you know how I'm kind of a blowhard and I'm really aggressive and opinionated?

Yeah well combine that with being like, just plain mean and completely uncaring about other people's feelings

Especially if they ran afoul of me

That's how I used to roll

It was not good times.

There are people who would call it "entertaining" when I would fuckin' go off on someone, or whatever, but I think that's morbid

Well, i'm glad you were never like that to me, dude.

You're probably one of my favorite chatters and i hope to meet you one day. :)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I was never more nervous than when I went to meet everyone at PAXSouth.
    Like, beyond nervous.

really? you were fun to hang out with, and we had a nice lunch too!

This discussion has been closed.