As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oregon Trail was something I played a bunch in school.

Oh what was the gorilla game that was in ms-dos? Like built in.

Use to play that with friends.

I mean not counting my NES and commodore time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Man, according to my calculations (which are very flawed), next month will mark my 20th year of video gaming.

Wow, what an adventure that's been.

20 years of gaming.

i should probably make something related to that...

Maybe make a thread in G&T?

Ooo! I get that sometime next year I think

There should be a pin or a badge, like in Girlscouts

Wait, what? Man, you started young.

i got my first console at my 6th birthday. i got the Donkey Kong Country SNES bundle + Mario Paint.

i mean, i had played video games before that, but that's when my collection really started.

I should really do a big effortpost about my early gaming memories.

i have so much i'd like to say about games like Donkey Kong Country and Chrono Trigger...

:)

what's there to say about donkey kong country besides that it's the greatest game ever made

where do you go from there

There's a lot to say about it's role in my childhood.

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Man, according to my calculations (which are very flawed), next month will mark my 20th year of video gaming.

20 years of gaming.

i got my first console at my 6th birthday. i got the Donkey Kong Country SNES bundle + Mario Paint.

i mean, i had played video games before that, but that's when my collection really started.

i have so much i'd like to say about games like Donkey Kong Country and Chrono Trigger...

I can't really remember not playing games

I think I was put in front of a keyboard as soon as I could hold myself upright

Many of my early memories involve games like PuttPutt and Reader Rabbit and some kind of typing language game with a color coded keyboard. Some of my favourite memories of my little brothers are squishing the three of us into a single office chair and each controlling a different part of the keyboard because none of us had big enough hands to play games on our own

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If Woot features a Keurig machine during this wootoff I am finished.

Has woot featured anything worth buying in years?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    There is a picture of me playing an NES with one hand down my pants when I'm like 3

I always use that picture as my gaming starting point

we have a home movie from before I could talk where I'm playing mario

I won't say I played well and I started talking late but I generally consider this as evidence of my prodigy status

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebs I expect you to wear your tribly every day

@nexuscrawler why wouldn't I? It's a Lock and Co. trilby. It is a refined head covering for a man of refinement.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

20 years of gaming.

what's there to say about donkey kong country besides that it's the greatest game ever made

where do you go from there

There's a lot to say about it's role in my childhood.

I was just messing, there's a million things to say I'm sure, especially about how it impacted you.

would be cool to read

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    29 years since my first memory of gaming on a commodore 64.

Youngins.

Is there a list of Commodore 64 games with screenshots? There was one game I played with my Dad that was a sort of Donkey Kong knock-off. You started at the bottom of a structure and climbed ladders to get to the top, dodging tumbleweeds along the way.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Deebs I expect you to wear your tribly every day

nexuscrawler why wouldn't I? It's a Lock and Co. trilby. It is a refined head covering for a man of refinement.

So why would you be wearing it?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Oregon Trail was something I played a bunch in school.

Oh what was the gorilla game that was in ms-dos? Like built in.

Use to play that with friends.

I mean not counting my NES and commodore time.

gorillas.bas

I found a machine with a floppy drive at work some months ago. I installed DOS on it just to play it. :rotate:

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    If Woot features a Keurig machine during this wootoff I am finished.

Has woot featured anything worth buying in years?

No, not really.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Who the fuck needs a cable modem in 2015? You get them from your ISP!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    also that turtle "game" on the Apple ][e where you drew stuff

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I like to think my relatively low profile prevents people from forming a clear picture of what an asshole I was when I was posting in high school/early college.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Been re-reading Trigun in between sessions of DMC4SE. It's like I'm right back in 2008.

Eugh

But DMC4 is still great, and Trigun is still the best mango. Just, conjuring some uncomfortable memory associations, y'know? D:

Oh brilliant
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I bought one, and a router, because the one the ISP provided was really bad.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I'm basically either embarrassed or mortified by any post I've ever made that wasn't about space, sports, or spreading the love <3

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone keeps tagging the sidewalks with "All Lives Matter!" By my apartment.

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

She apparently did not know the recent history of the term.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Been re-reading Trigun in between sessions of DMC4SE. It's like I'm right back in 2008.

Eugh

But DMC4 is still great, and Trigun is still the best mango. Just, conjuring some uncomfortable memory associations, y'know? D:

Sorry, but Wanpisu is superior.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

For a low, low rental fee of $8 per month.

Buying one pays for its self in 6 months, you can carry it from ISP to ISP for minimal downtime if you're lucky enough to live in a market with competition, and the quality of the equipment will be much higher,

Donkey Kong on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    also that turtle "game" on the Apple ][e where you drew stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language)

(I never used it but, know it by reputation.)

((If I had had access to quality tech education in childhood I would most certainly be a big bux frogrammer right now))

(((I'd probably also be an insufferable Libertarian/MRA-style asshat so I'm not too sad about it.)))

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

WHOOPS! :P

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

Eugh

Sorry, but Wanpisu is superior.
    jjonahjamesonlaughing.wmv

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i want to believe that is an actual peppa pig episode

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

Stop! Just... stop....

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

A little less than a year, I think? also I'm sure it's tiring but it's sort of... their job..

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

You have to rent them, and frankly it is my personal principle to give Comcast et al as little of my money as possible.

vRyue2p.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

"All lives matter" has been a prominent way to undercut "Black lives matter" since, what, Ferguson?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

For a low, low rental fee of $8 per month.

Buying one pays for its self in 6 months, you can carry it from ISP to ISP for minimal downtime if you're lucky enough to live in a market with competition, and the quality of the equipment will be much higher,

Also these things.

vRyue2p.png

Stop! Just... stop....

Did she apologize or double down? It could have been a calculation.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am so tired right now the idea of playing a game gives me some anxiety.

God I can't wait to be off this shitty contract.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Will just any modem work with a dsl connection? Verizon said no on the phone but they're a garbage company.

I paid $70 for my modem in August of 2013 and have been using it since.

Plus, when you move to an area and get a different ISP, you don't have to have a technician come to your place to set it up. You can just plug it it and activate it over the phone/online and get same-day internet.

vRyue2p.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh god I thought I wouldn't be super nervous about a date again now that I'm such a good dater but I totally am and it's all hitting now

gonna be fine, I'm great, I've got empirical evidence that I'm great.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Coinage wrote: »
    Will just any modem work with a dsl connection? Verizon said no on the phone but they're a garbage company.

Definitely look up which modems are compatible with which company. Also, some third-party modems are more of a hassle to connect than the ISP's, but IMO it's worth it.

vRyue2p.png
    Coinage wrote: »

The real answer is maybe. No is an easier answer for Verizon to give though.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    a reminder of what All Lives Matter means, before anyone defends it:
    20141204-patreon.png

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Stop! Just... stop....

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

This discussion has been closed.