As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Coinage wrote: »
    Will just any modem work with a dsl connection? Verizon said no on the phone but they're a garbage company.

Well this starts to get into sticky territory as what are commonly called 'modems' are generally a modem, a router, a switch, and a wireless AP all in one box.

But yes it is possible. It looks like it's not quite as easy as using your own cable modem, though.

EDIT: Oh there's also a gateway in there :rotate:

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Oh god I thought I wouldn't be super nervous about a date again now that I'm such a good dater but I totally am and it's all hitting now

gonna be fine, I'm great, I've got empirical evidence that I'm great.

:bro:

I was a pretty late bloomer on the dating scene (for multiple reasons) but it blew my mind when I went out on a date and I didn't have to carry 110% of the social burden and navigate a minefield to hold a conversation and pull teeth to plan another date. Another human met me more than halfway and it was just unfathomable.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Oh god I thought I wouldn't be super nervous about a date again now that I'm such a good dater but I totally am and it's all hitting now

gonna be fine, I'm great, I've got empirical evidence that I'm great.

:bro:

I was a pretty late bloomer on the dating scene (for multiple reasons) but it blew my mind when I went out on a date and I didn't have to carry 110% of the social burden and navigate a minefield to hold a conversation and pull teeth to plan another date. Another human met me more than halfway and it was just unfathomable.

This is also true for me, and I would expand it to include platonic friendships.

Like, it was a huge moment in my life when I realized that my then-current set of friends didn't just like me and enjoy hanging out with me, but actually really liked me and actively desired to hang out with me more.

vRyue2p.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone keeps tagging the sidewalks with "All Lives Matter!" By my apartment.

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

She apparently did not know the recent history of the term.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

you know it's really easy for you to be snide about this

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

Did she apologize or double down? It could have been a calculation.

I don't think she's commented on it.

You might be unsurprised to learn that the Internet has made a bigger deal of it than the live audience did.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I should probably go on a date this decade.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    you guys say prominent but this is literally the first i'm hearing of it

oh well

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    oh fuck, i just got reminded of an absurdist French comic from my childhood...

One that i am 100% sure no one here ever heard of: Philemon.

basically, it's about this slacker guy from the coutnry who gets in amazing adventures on the islands that compose the words "Atlantic Ocean" on the maps.

it was good, but the comics were hard to find because they were super old, sadly.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Will just any modem work with a dsl connection? Verizon said no on the phone but they're a garbage company.

Well this starts to get into sticky territory as what are commonly called 'modems' are generally a modem, a router, a switch, and a wireless AP all in one box.

But yes it is possible. It looks like it's not quite as easy as using your own cable modem, though.

Yeah, cable modem standards are a little more clear cut, ISPs will just say "DOCISS 3.0" or have a compatible hardware webpage. And there's a standardized mechanism for ISPs to remote program cable modems. DSL modems generally work if you can get the DSL company to say what version of tech they're using, buy a matching modem, and configure it properly using unofficial instructions online. But it's overall dicier. Doing it back when I didn't have a smartphone with internet was always the most fun. Getting on the phone and trying to pry off-script info from the techs...

Stop! Just... stop....

Did she apologize or double down? It could have been a calculation.

I don't think she's commented on it.

You might be unsurprised to learn that the Internet has made a bigger deal of it than the live audience did.

*frantically searches for fainting couch*

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that the logistics for activating and using DSL modems vs cable modems were different, but now it seems obvious that they would be.

vRyue2p.png
    like in 2015 if you are a presidential candidate and you don't know what "Black Lives Matter" means or how politically charged it is to say "All Lives Matter"

then there are people around you who are not doing their job

because there are literally people in a presidential campaign who are expressly supposed to keep track of stuff like that and make sure it doesn't happen unless it's done on purpose

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I do not know Java and this assignment is in Java

The example classes I keep seeing put the method definitions in the body of the class, is this normal? My instinct in C++ was always to just declare everything there and define it later, to keep the class readable.

I might be mangling words.

that said, this is the definition of a gaff

a minor mistake that is done in error and doesn't reveal much more than "someone fucked up today and Ms. Clinton wasn't speech-wrote properly and briefed"

it is not a huge fucking thing that makes Hillary a racist or something

it's a whoops, gosh

somebody done goofed

unless they didn't

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

All lives matter*

*nah dog I'm not getting into an abortion debate in [chat]

like in 2015 if you are a presidential candidate and you don't know what "Black Lives Matter" means or how politically charged it is to say "All Lives Matter"

because there are literally people in a presidential campaign who are expressly supposed to keep track of stuff like that and make sure it doesn't happen unless it's done on purpose

In fairness, while Black Lives Matter is a legitimate protest slogan everyone has heard, All Lives Matter has, rightly, been isolated to racist shitbags mostly on the internet. So outside that bubble, it might sound like a friendlier, more inclusive offshoot of the slogan.

spool32 wrote: »

Stop! Just... stop....

All lives matter*

meat is murder

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    hector is so blue it gives me an erection

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions

oh well

Tav, let's be real here

how much do you give a shit about race politics in America

how much of your time and life do you devote to following this subject and how much of your newsmedia consumption is taken up by this

do you honestly really care here

were you like, following the outcome of the freddie gray case in baltimore and the arrest of those cops and did you watch the press conference where marilyn mosby announced the arrest of the cops who murdered him?

because uh

dude to be frank i seriously doubt it

i seriously doubt any of this is a part of your life that you care very much about at all

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Stop! Just... stop....

All lives matter*

meat is murder

That's all I've been saying!

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm actually not like, completely tied to this idea of going into IT

i just don't know what else to do

this government grant thing is an opportunity, I'm just not sure what else to do with it

I don't know how far I can push it, in terms of how many years of school I can push out of it

I know a year can work, beyond that I don't know

but to be honest I don't think I want to be in school more than a year because that'd be more years my wife and I have to live with her parents because I'm not working full time

(our current living situation is we are renting a room from her parents and have been for a year and they're being super good about it and it's fine for now but we want our own place, we just can't afford it with me not working and to live stably on our own I need to be working at least 20-30 hours a week)

A big factor is also my back

my back is fuuuuuuuuucked and it puts a big damper on the kind of jobs I can do

I'm sorta restricted to white collar officey shit that doesn't really require a lot of standing

like even something as simple as like, dental assistant?

nope, that's standing and stooping like all the fucking time, no way yo

The reason I keep on suggesting IT courses is because it's all I know.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious

oh well

Tav, let's be real here

how much do you give a shit about race politics in America

how much of your time and life do you devote to following this subject and how much of your newsmedia consumption is taken up by this

do you honestly really care here

were you like, following the outcome of the freddie gray case in baltimore and the arrest of those cops and did you watch the press conference where marilyn mosby announced the arrest of the cops who murdered him?

because uh

dude to be frank i seriously doubt it

i seriously doubt any of this is a part of your life that you care very much about at all

yes, yes i did

thanks for asking brah

any more questions?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    a reminder of what All Lives Matter means, before anyone defends it:
    20141204-patreon.png

As much as I agree with the sentiment of the comic, I wince a little every time I see it because if your house is well and truly fucked the fire department will start putting water on your neighbors before yours.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

In fairness, while Black Lives Matter is a legitimate protest slogan everyone has heard, All Lives Matter has, rightly, been isolated to racist shitbags mostly on the internet. So outside that bubble, it might sound like a friendlier, more inclusive offshoot of the slogan.

This is true. Ive seen friends use that phrase genuinely not realizing its origin.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

The example classes I keep seeing put the method definitions in the body of the class, is this normal? My instinct in C++ was always to just declare everything there and define it later, to keep the class readable.

java doesn't separate declaration from definitions. which I like. the reason that is done in C and C++ has to do with how linkers work rather than readability.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The traitor Pompey has fled to Egypt. Glorious Caesar follows.

Lh96QHG.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Fewer and fewer [chat]ters are capitalizing the word 'I' and it is making [chat] very mathematical.

that's why this is a gaff

it's a minor whoopsie

it's embarrassing for Clinton and basically a sign someone on her staff should've like

did a wee bit more homework here

edited June 2015

In C++ you do that for a few reasons, not just organization. In Java, many of those reasons don't apply. There's no such thing as a Java header file, for example, just a class file. The language doesn't even allow method implementations outside of the class declaration, if I remember correctly.

Modern programming language design heavily favors this setup. Of popular, modern languages, only C++ really has that whole header, separate declaration and implementation thing.

Donkey Kong on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    desc wrote: »
    @syndalis Vizio 55" 1080 screen on sale ordered for in store pickup

I will be Forza-ing in glory

Reviews seem fine and it has RCA audio outs which is helpful

I don't care about the built in apps really since it will really be my xbone display

It does have a USB port too which might be handy

I could get a chrome cast thingy or whatever

I will report back when it is Forza time

@desc - badass. Vizio are surprisingly good television sets for the money. And chromecast isn't even all that useful when you have an XBO - you can push YouTube from any mobile app and there are a ton of media apps on the console already.

Forza is just a great game. It's a love letter to cars from people who love cars, and it shows in every detail of the experience. It's infectious in its enthusiasm.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    i rate this gaff 1.5 Bidens out of 5.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

it's a minor whoopsie

it's embarrassing for Clinton and basically a sign someone on her staff should've like

I feel like for piddly stuff like this we should have the candidates publicly admit to their whoopsie

Lh96QHG.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

you know it's really easy for you to be snide about this

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

edited June 2015
    AllLivesMatter wasn't trending and never actually has trended here and I was passing comment on how I hadn't heard of it

so why don't you stop being so angry, reactionary and condescending for five mins

Tav on
    Mortious wrote: »
    I'm actually not like, completely tied to this idea of going into IT

i just don't know what else to do

this government grant thing is an opportunity, I'm just not sure what else to do with it

I don't know how far I can push it, in terms of how many years of school I can push out of it

I know a year can work, beyond that I don't know

but to be honest I don't think I want to be in school more than a year because that'd be more years my wife and I have to live with her parents because I'm not working full time

(our current living situation is we are renting a room from her parents and have been for a year and they're being super good about it and it's fine for now but we want our own place, we just can't afford it with me not working and to live stably on our own I need to be working at least 20-30 hours a week)

A big factor is also my back

my back is fuuuuuuuuucked and it puts a big damper on the kind of jobs I can do

I'm sorta restricted to white collar officey shit that doesn't really require a lot of standing

like even something as simple as like, dental assistant?

nope, that's standing and stooping like all the fucking time, no way yo

The reason I keep on suggesting IT courses is because it's all I know.

and i keep looking into it because it's all i can think of!

it's a minor whoopsie

I feel like for piddly stuff like this we should have the candidates publicly admit to their whoopsie

Maybe allow them to strike a tone of light annoyance with the people poisoning language so it's not non-stop contrition.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

java doesn't separate declaration from definitions. which I like. the reason that is done in C and C++ has to do with how linkers work rather than readability.

Ah

I just got used to it and prefer it that way, but this is how I will do it for this then! Thanks.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    AllLivesMatter wasn't trending and never actually has trended here and I was passing comment on how I hadn't heard of it

so why don't you stop being so angry, reactionary and condescending for five mins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutcMDjtvT8

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    i rate this gaff 1.5 Bidens out of 5.

So you are saying it is NOT a big fuckin' deal?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

it's a minor whoopsie

Maybe allow them to strike a tone of light annoyance with the people poisoning language so it's not non-stop contrition.

"Whoopsie, sorry I forgot the internet wouldn't know a thick skin if it bit them on the ass."

Would work for me for about 70% of these thigns.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.