As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hey, so maybe somebody here who knows about art or design or image recognition or something can inform me about this.

I was browsing an Imgur gallery of Where's Momo pictures, which is a series of photographs that are pretty neat on their own, but also contain a dog (the aforementioned Momo) hidden somewhere in the pictures. And I was noticing that it was easier to find Momo in some of the pictures than in others, but not necessarily because of camouflage, where Momo is hard to find because much of the photograph has color groupings similar to Momo's. Rather, some were easier because they had fewer "places" in the photo for Momo to be hidden, and others had many "places".

Examples:

Very few places: http://i.imgur.com/ObTXuMZ.jpg

Few places: http://i.imgur.com/UhBk9TH.jpg

Some places: http://i.imgur.com/eZi29Ev.jpg

Medium places: http://i.imgur.com/re0cYqV.jpg

Many places: http://i.imgur.com/JBvgxiB.jpg

A shitton of places: http://i.imgur.com/uPnNVHg.jpg

Is this a recognized concept in art/photography/graphic design or even image analysis? I'm not sure who to @ about this.

vRyue2p.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    @syndalis Vizio 55" 1080 screen on sale ordered for in store pickup

I will be Forza-ing in glory

Reviews seem fine and it has RCA audio outs which is helpful

I don't care about the built in apps really since it will really be my xbone display

It does have a USB port too which might be handy

I could get a chrome cast thingy or whatever

I will report back when it is Forza time

-desc - badass. Vizio are surprisingly good television sets for the money. And chromecast isn't even all that useful when you have an XBO - you can push YouTube from any mobile app and there are a ton of media apps on the console already.

Forza is just a great game. It's a love letter to cars from people who love cars, and it shows in every detail of the experience. It's infectious in its enthusiasm.

Yeah, most of the media apps you want are gonna be baked into the vizio anyway probably -- netflix, amazon, hulu, plex, pandora, spotify. I got one fairly recently and it's been great, my only issue is there are no physical buttons on it which is annoying when I inevitably lose my remote

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hey, so maybe somebody here who knows about art or design or image recognition or something can inform me about this.

I was browsing an Imgur gallery of Where's Momo pictures, which is a series of photographs that are pretty neat on their own, but also contain a dog (the aforementioned Momo) hidden somewhere in the pictures. And I was noticing that it was easier to find Momo in some of the pictures than in others, but not necessarily because of camouflage, where Momo is hard to find because much of the photograph has color groupings similar to Momo's. Rather, some were easier because they had fewer "places" in the photo for Momo to be hidden, and others had many "places".

Examples:

Very few places: http://i.imgur.com/ObTXuMZ.jpg

Few places: http://i.imgur.com/UhBk9TH.jpg

Some places: http://i.imgur.com/eZi29Ev.jpg

Medium places: http://i.imgur.com/re0cYqV.jpg

Many places: http://i.imgur.com/JBvgxiB.jpg

A shitton of places: http://i.imgur.com/uPnNVHg.jpg

Is this a recognized concept in art/photography/graphic design or even image analysis? I'm not sure who to @ about this.

I run an edge detector.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone keeps tagging the sidewalks with "All Lives Matter!" By my apartment.

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

She apparently did not know the recent history of the term.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

you know it's really easy for you to be snide about this

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

A lot of people, myself one of them, don't consider Hillary their natural ally and are kind of suspicious of her and watch her pretty carefully and she's walking a pretty fine line.

She doesn't get a pass, she doesn't get credit, she doesn't get leeway. She has a really horrible history in politics in some people's opinions and where she stands on a lot of things for some people ranges from nebulous to objectionable. She has changed where she stands on some things, but on others she's either not changed or not really clarified.

So when she uses a phrase that has it's origins with racists, even if she does it by accident (which, to be honest, I think she did honestly do by accident), she doesn't get leeway. She gets narrowed eyes and calls for accountability.

There are people who do not trust her and she has not earned their trust.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    AllLivesMatter wasn't trending and never actually has trended here and I was passing comment on how I hadn't heard of it

so why don't you stop being so angry, reactionary and condescending for five mins

In my personal experience the more common dipshit refrain was either PoliceLivesMatter or PoliceLivesMatterToo or something to that effect. I still think AllLivesMatter or OurLivesMatter would have been a better slogan for the pro equality crowd from the get go. Less explicit but harder to frame as exclusionary by the derp set.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

A lot of people, myself one of them, don't consider Hillary their natural ally and are kind of suspicious of her and watch her pretty carefully and she's walking a pretty fine line.

She doesn't get a pass, she doesn't get credit, she doesn't get leeway. She has a really horrible history in politics in some people's opinions and where she stands on a lot of things for some people ranges from nebulous to objectionable. She has changed where she stands on some things, but on others she's either not changed or not really clarified.

So when she uses a phrase that has it's origins with racists, even if she does it by accident (which, to be honest, I think she did honestly do by accident), she doesn't get leeway. She gets narrowed eyes and calls for accountability.

Those people should just fucking vote for Jeb.

They will never be pleased by any electable Democrat.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also DK and Riemann I preemptively apologize if I ask you a lot of silly things in the near future

I love all the programming I've done but have never taken a formal class and am very much a beginner.

syndalis wrote: »
    i rate this gaff 1.5 Bidens out of 5.

So you are saying it is NOT a big fuckin' deal?

Yes

It's a minor gaff

Someone on her staff dun goofed

People are right to narrow their eyes at it, nobody needs to be scolded for being offended or distrustful of Hillary

But in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Also, for people who want more Find Momo...

The imgur galleries I was browsing: https://imgur.com/gallery/MOp3i http://imgur.com/gallery/N3lyt

The source website: gofindmomo.com/

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    God, I wish I had figured out how to get a handle on my anger before I got my xbox.
    I keep having to uninstall and reinstall Operation Anchorage to get past points where it crashes.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also DK and Riemann I preemptively apologize if I ask you a lot of silly things in the near future

I love all the programming I've done but have never taken a formal class and am very much a beginner.

don't worry about it. if I'm busy or something I just wont be able to answer.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    So

Bernie Sanders is the one we all want but know will never be

and Hilary will be the one that probably will, if she wins

that's how I'm seeing this year.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @simonwolf

So I'm watching SDF Macross

80s anime was so much different from the anime we have now

It really makes you appreciate shit like what Miyazaki was saying about modern Japanese animation just kind of incestually drawing from itself instead of drawing from reality

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    God, I wish I had figured out how to get a handle on my anger before I got my xbox.
    I keep having to uninstall and reinstall Operation Anchorage to get past points where it crashes.
    I have the solution for you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6uewdLrjs

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ugh. So busy. Drowning in work. No idea when I'll be going home :(

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

Those people should just fucking vote for Jeb.

They will never be pleased by any electable Democrat.

Nah that's a terrible idea.

Coinage wrote: »
    I have the solution for you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6uewdLrjs
    that's kinda what got me in this situation tho

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

I'm making a class that takes an integer N in its constructor and then creates an N by N grid for the instance. What's the proper way to do that? If I declare variables in the constructor, they're out of scope once the constructor is done running, but I won't know how big to make them before running the constructor. I know there is an easy way to do this, but it has been a while and I am very unsure of myself.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i think it's pretty easy to tell what someone is implying when they say, "All lives matter," and judge whether or not that person is being a shitheel worthy of scorn or is genuinely trying to express a helpful sentiment

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So is it now just impossible to express the idea that everyone's life matters because of some people on twitter?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Skip it. The gear and sneaking suit you get for beating it isn't worth getting angry.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    god i went peasant and bought all the cheap shit at the grocery store
    just made myself a sandwich and just about spit it out
    tasted like hopelessness and the cavernous asshole of a lost hobo

Bless your heart.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

I'm making a class that takes an integer N in its constructor and then creates an N by N grid for the instance. What's the proper way to do that? If I declare variables in the constructor, they're out of scope once the constructor is done running, but I won't know how big to make them before running the constructor. I know there is an easy way to do this, but it has been a while and I am very unsure of myself.

Declare the variables prior to the constructor and then instantiate them in the constructor.

e: Shit wait arrays. Uhhhh.

e2: I guess you could declare an empty two-dimensional array and then instantiate the array in the constructor? Although I'm not exactly sure the syntax for doing that in Java.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    So is it now just impossible to express the idea that everyone's life matters because of some people on twitter?

it's impossible to express lots of things because of some people on twitter

tyrannus wrote: »
    So

what kills me is Bernie is actually electable...

...in Canada

and deep down I think enough Americans actually want Bernie that he could fucking win but there's this weird complex where they doubt themselves and think he can't so they won't vote for him so then he's judged unelectable so he won't win the primary and Hillary will.

it's like Americans psych themselves out of good candidates into the same old same old

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    can't you dynamically resize arrays in java arraylists, whatever

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited June 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »

Skip it. The gear and sneaking suit you get for beating it isn't worth getting angry.
    I was too vague. I have handle on my anger now, but before I did when I got really angry I sometimes hit my Xbox. I'm fairly certain I slightly damaged its memory or somesuch, as every once in a while something just won't run and I'll have to uninstall and reinstall and in some cases just format the hard drive.
    Currently I'm just mildly annoyed by this inconvenience.

cB557 on
    my cats are apparently having a lick fight

all clutching on to each other's heads and furiously co-licking faces

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Anything that makes the internet angry at Hillary is fine by me.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    So

Years ago in Rightville: "I really liked Santorum's conservative stances but I voted for Romney because he seems more likely to beat Obama in the election."

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So

what kills me is Bernie is actually electable...

...in Canada

and deep down I think enough Americans actually want Bernie that he could fucking win but there's this weird complex where they doubt themselves and think he can't so they won't vote for him so then he's judged unelectable so he won't win the primary and Hillary will.

it's like Americans psych themselves out of good candidates into the same old same old

one can only hope for a primary upset

I wish I lived in a state that mattered

sometimes, anyway

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

Declare the variables prior to the constructor and then instantiate them in the constructor.

e: Shit wait arrays. Uhhhh.

Yeah the problem is they are dynamic arrays. I know you can just do it with pointers (I think) but I don't know if that's the proper way to do it or what.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Maybe it'll cut down on some of the "you just think x because she's a woman" I'm going to have to endure for the next year and a half.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    god that sandwich was terrible and unfulfilling.

Bless your heart.
    P10 wrote: »
    can't you dynamically resize arrays in java arraylists, whatever

Maybe? I know a medium deal of C++ and some Python and that's it =/

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    @Hakkekage

i feel like once again i need a person running behind me with a spatula to generate "motivation"

like, a sexy spatula?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOhhgrM3bs

no

a painful spatula

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

hey if people could do that

that'd be super

As a Matt-er of fact, we can.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    can't you dynamically resize arrays in java

No, arrays in java are pretty limited. They have an ArrayList class, however, that acts the way you would expect an array to in a modern language.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

in your class you declare a private member variable for the N by N grid (2d array?)

that variable is a reference to data of that type not the data itself. It starts out referencing null.

in the constructor you use the new operator to actually allocate the data and store a refererence to it in your member variable.

ie:

class Foo
    {

public Foo(int size)
    {
    dataGrid = new int[size][size];
    }

private int dataGrid[][];
    }

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    I use ArrayLists instead of Arrays, but I'm not sure if that's best practice.

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.