As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'm less interested in getting people like Bernie into the Oval as I am getting them into Congress and the state houses of these united states.

My plan is for President Clinton to retake Texas with fire and with blood and then install Bernie as governor-general for the pacification.

Lh96QHG.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    So is it now just impossible to express the idea that everyone's life matters because of some people on twitter?

if you are speaking to a black congregation in the wake of a terrorist attack by a racist on a black congregation

the time to use the exact three word combination

"all lives matter", a slogan made popular by racists

is not right that moment

i don't think that's unfair

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Anything that makes the internet angry at Hillary is fine by me.

what if electing michael moore president makes the internet angry at hillary

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Maybe it'll cut down on some of the "you just think x because she's a woman" I'm going to have to endure for the next year and a half.

You do though

If she was not a woman you'd just think not-x

I know you, and also predicate logic >: (

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I wish there was an easy way to type logic symbols

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone keeps tagging the sidewalks with "All Lives Matter!" By my apartment.

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

She apparently did not know the recent history of the term.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

you know it's really easy for you to be snide about this

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

A lot of people, myself one of them, don't consider Hillary their natural ally and are kind of suspicious of her and watch her pretty carefully and she's walking a pretty fine line.

She doesn't get a pass, she doesn't get credit, she doesn't get leeway. She has a really horrible history in politics in some people's opinions and where she stands on a lot of things for some people ranges from nebulous to objectionable. She has changed where she stands on some things, but on others she's either not changed or not really clarified.

So when she uses a phrase that has it's origins with racists, even if she does it by accident (which, to be honest, I think she did honestly do by accident), she doesn't get leeway. She gets narrowed eyes and calls for accountability.

There are people who do not trust her and she has not earned their trust.

"Accountability?"

So, she's going to clarify that she obviously meant what she obviously meant, and that clarification/apology will be deemed as sufficient, or alternatively will further be pecked over for something to further willfully misinterpret.
    So is it now just impossible to express the idea that everyone's life matters because of some people on twitter?

Apparently we should all follow prominent racists on twitter so we can not accidentally use similar wording as they did, despite the actual meaning being obvious from context.

Instead of actually focusing on actual policy to benefit the same people who have been allegedly slighted.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    So

Bernie Sanders is the one we all want but know will never be

and Hilary will be the one that probably will, if she wins

that's how I'm seeing this year.

what kills me is Bernie is actually electable...

...in Canada

and deep down I think enough Americans actually want Bernie that he could fucking win but there's this weird complex where they doubt themselves and think he can't so they won't vote for him so then he's judged unelectable so he won't win the primary and Hillary will.

it's like Americans psych themselves out of good candidates into the same old same old
    nothing new

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I beat like
    three DS lites into non-functionality

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    i had not heard of this all lives matter thing, i was familiar with police lives matter

but i am not a speechwriter on a major presidential campaign

knowning the clinton machine though that speech was probably being finished in the car to the event

but she seems to have fixed most of the problems from 2008 so maybe not

Lh96QHG.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Maybe it'll cut down on some of the "you just think x because she's a woman" I'm going to have to endure for the next year and a half.

I'm not sure anybody's going to spend too much time rushing to Clinton's defense.

She inspires a powerful apathy.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the difference between an array and an ArrayList (or array and List<> in C#) is that an array has to be put in a continuous block of memory while an ArrayList does not.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @spool32 just reply to everything with
    benghazzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiii *hiss*

Bless your heart.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm less interested in getting people like Bernie into the Oval as I am getting them into Congress and the state houses of these united states.

My plan is for President Clinton to retake Texas with fire and with blood and then install Bernie as governor-general for the pacification.

Joke's on you it's been raining like a motherfucker here for a couple months.

Also we bleed oil so

you're 0 for 2 right now.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2015
    tyrannus wrote: »
    So

Bernie Sanders is the one we all want but know will never be

and Hilary will be the one that probably will, if she wins

that's how I'm seeing this year.

what kills me is Bernie is actually electable...

...in Canada

and deep down I think enough Americans actually want Bernie that he could fucking win but there's this weird complex where they doubt themselves and think he can't so they won't vote for him so then he's judged unelectable so he won't win the primary and Hillary will.

it's like Americans psych themselves out of good candidates into the same old same old

No, Bernie would lose horribly. His purpose right now is to last as long as he fucking can, debate Hillary, and put his ideas out there into the national dialog such that Hillary has to adopt the better ones into her platform.

We gotta shift that Overton window a bit here.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Chanus wrote: »
    Anything that makes the internet angry at Hillary is fine by me.

what if electing michael moore president makes the internet angry at hillary

woah

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

I'm making a class that takes an integer N in its constructor and then creates an N by N grid for the instance. What's the proper way to do that? If I declare variables in the constructor, they're out of scope once the constructor is done running, but I won't know how big to make them before running the constructor. I know there is an easy way to do this, but it has been a while and I am very unsure of myself.

Shiv, iirc, you just declare the array in the body of the class and it's not necessary to give it a size until you instantiate it.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Stop! Just... stop....

Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

A lot of people, myself one of them, don't consider Hillary their natural ally and are kind of suspicious of her and watch her pretty carefully and she's walking a pretty fine line.

She doesn't get a pass, she doesn't get credit, she doesn't get leeway. She has a really horrible history in politics in some people's opinions and where she stands on a lot of things for some people ranges from nebulous to objectionable. She has changed where she stands on some things, but on others she's either not changed or not really clarified.

So when she uses a phrase that has it's origins with racists, even if she does it by accident (which, to be honest, I think she did honestly do by accident), she doesn't get leeway. She gets narrowed eyes and calls for accountability.

Those people should just fucking vote for Jeb.

They will never be pleased by any electable Democrat.

Nah that's a terrible idea.

It is a horrible idea!

And yet it's still more reasonable than complaining that Hillary is some sort of closet racist because her staffers weren't sufficiently aware of twitter hashtags.

Because here is the thing. Those complaints? They aren't reasonable. These are unreasonable people. Perhaps being ignored will give them pause and cause them to reevaluate, though I doubt it.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Non-IT alternatives: Project Manager, Administrative Assistant, or Accountant

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Backlights matter

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Joke's on you it's been raining like a motherfucker here for a couple months.

Also we bleed oil so

you're 0 for 2 right now.

yeah i've seen the horribile weather you guys have been getting lately

did you see that post Mazzy linked earlier about Putin funding the crazoids who want Texas to leave?

I had a hearty chuckle at that and thought you might enjoy it too.

Lh96QHG.png
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

I'm making a class that takes an integer N in its constructor and then creates an N by N grid for the instance. What's the proper way to do that? If I declare variables in the constructor, they're out of scope once the constructor is done running, but I won't know how big to make them before running the constructor. I know there is an easy way to do this, but it has been a while and I am very unsure of myself.

in your class you declare a private member variable for the N by N grid (2d array?)

that variable is a reference to data of that type not the data itself. It starts out referencing null.

in the constructor you use the new operator to actually allocate the data and store a refererence to it in your member variable.

ie:

class Foo
    {

public Foo(int size)
    {
    dataGrid = new int[size][size];
    }

private int dataGrid[][];
    }

Thanks!

That is what I was trying so I was getting flustered by it not working. I am missing some punctuation somewhere clearly.

If you know for sure how big an array or list will be at the point of allocation then an array (be it in C++, C# or Java) will be more efficient. But if you ever have to resize it then the ArrayList will be more efficient. To resize an array what you are doing is creating a whole new array at the new size, copying data over then deleting the old one.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

hey if people could do that

that'd be super

to clarify is, is this for all posters or like just the regulars?

because this is one of those I have wondered how to approach since some forumers gets called by their real name quite often (like Cass as you mentioned)

and it feels like it is more for the "in crowd" if you will, the people that have chat meet-ups at pax or go out to bars in nyc occasionally?

and so I'm not a very prolific poster here, though I have been posting in chat threads since at least 2010 (I think), and I live on the other side of the ocean

so it kind of feels very presumptuous to start using real names, like I'm that weird guy that thinks he is a buddy but you barely know? so I have mostly been avoiding it

(a bit late reply, I too was catching up on the Tube AMA thread)

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So like
    class DumbClass {
        int[] dumbarray;

public DumbClass (int dumbint) {
            dumbarray = new int[dumbint];
        }

}

Winky on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

It is a horrible idea!

And yet it's still more reasonable than complaining that Hillary is some sort of closet racist because her staffers weren't sufficiently aware of twitter hashtags.

Because here is the thing. Those complaints? They aren't reasonable. These are unreasonable people. Perhaps being ignored will give them pause and cause them to reevaluate, though I doubt it.

No one called Hillary a closet racist.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    no fog of war, no point buy or something else to equalize the teams?
    not interested (inject the single player into my veins tho)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    I did not see that!

Putin is a DC villain, I swear.

FIRST SILLY QUESTION

in your class you declare a private member variable for the N by N grid (2d array?)

that variable is a reference to data of that type not the data itself. It starts out referencing null.

in the constructor you use the new operator to actually allocate the data and store a refererence to it in your member variable.

ie:

class Foo
    {

public Foo(int size)
    {
    dataGrid = new int[size][size];
    }

private int dataGrid[][];
    }

Thanks!

That is what I was trying so I was getting flustered by it not working. I am missing some punctuation somewhere clearly.

are you doing

dataGrid = new int[size][size]();

cause with array you don't use a function operator () on the constructor. Because lame old holdovers from C.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

"Accountability?"

So, she's going to clarify that she obviously meant what she obviously meant, and that clarification/apology will be deemed as sufficient, or alternatively will further be pecked over for something to further willfully misinterpret.

Apparently we should all follow prominent racists on twitter so we can not accidentally use similar wording as they did, despite the actual meaning being obvious from context.

Instead of actually focusing on actual policy to benefit the same people who have been allegedly slighted.

you are not a presidential candidate

presidential candidates literally have people whose job it is to keep their candidate from saying things that sound like they're kinda sorta endorsing the viewpoint of racists

like i said

this is a minor gaff that only reveals someone in Clinton's camp went "whoops"

and that's all

personally I don't even really think Clinton needs to apologize or address this, except maybe with her staff

some might disagree with me, and that's their prerogative

I think she could, and it's not a bad idea per se

but eh

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I did not know that AllLivesMatter was a racist slogan

I also don't follow twitter

tyrannus on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

hey if people could do that

that'd be super

to clarify is, is this for all posters or like just the regulars?

because this is one of those I have wondered how to approach since some forumers gets called by their real name quite often (like Cass as you mentioned)

and it feels like it is more for the "in crowd" if you will, the people that have chat meet-ups at pax or go out to bars in nyc occasionally?

and so I'm not a very prolific poster here, though I have been posting in chat threads since at least 2010 (I think), and I live on the other side of the ocean

so it kind of feels very presumptuous to start using real names, like I'm that weird guy that thinks he is a buddy but you barely know? so I have mostly been avoiding it

(a bit late reply, I too was catching up on the Tube AMA thread)

sparvy you can call me cass all you want even though we've never had drinks together in nyc

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    There are a lot of people who know my real name here.

I'm still gonna be synd or syndalis or that fucking Apple apologist.

Gotta keep some semblance of my firewall intact.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I actually do not want to be called by my real name here. The few times it's happened has upset me. Because I don't want anyone googling my name to ever read the atrocities I have wrought against this forum.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Stop! Just... stop....

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

It is a horrible idea!

No one here, of course.

I did not mean to imply that was the case.

Stop! Just... stop....

c'mon, man

don't yell at clouds

It is a horrible idea!

that woman fucking hates closets. I heard one time she filled a closet with straw and cement, then shoved an armoire and two dressers in front of the door.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I think starting tomorrow (because I have no time this evening), i'll try to get one game of Shonen done every day.

Any takers? Shonen is my anime-inspired card game that's super fun and awesome.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who know my real name here.

I'm still gonna be synd or syndalis or that fucking Apple apologist.

Gotta keep some semblance of my firewall intact.

i prefer kool-aid dranker

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    people only call cass, cass, because her forum name is so fucking difficult even I can't fix it

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.