As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

16970727475100

Posts

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    WinkyBlameless Cleric
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Someone keeps tagging the sidewalks with "All Lives Matter!" By my apartment.


    Stop! Just... stop....

    Hillary Clinton threw out an "All lives matter" during a speech about Charleston to a black congregation.

    She apparently did not know the recent history of the term.

    how recent are we talking? Because jesus fuck it must be exhausting to be the people in charge on staying on top of everything you're allowed write into a president's speech

    About as old as the whole #BlackLivesMatter thing

    it was a reactionary hashtag started by racists and adopted by other racists and by ignorant people who don't think of themselves as racists but are basically saying something really ignorant without really thinking it through

    Keeping up with the things that really matter, like twitter hashtags...

    Honestly, I'd be more concerned if a candidate was apprised of twitter hashtag minutiae, because they should be doing their actual jobs, which is hard and time consuming to do properly.

    you know it's really easy for you to be snide about this

    and this is a popular tactic to dismiss protest movements for whom things like social media are very real and useful tools

    but it's more than a "twitter hashtag", it's a protest slogan, and protest slogans are as old as protests themselves

    knowing protest slogans of important social justice movements that are sweeping a nation in the middle of racial strife is kind of important for a presidential candidate

    and knowing not to use the racist counter-protest version of that slogan is also important, politically

    c'mon, man

    don't yell at clouds

    I will be snide about people ridiculously reading into hyper specific wording that is a typical colloquial phrase, deliberately and maliciously misinterpreted 180 degrees from the context in which it was meant, because that is shitty when anyone does it to anyone, but especially stupid, immoral, and self-defeating when done to one's own natural allies.

    Emphasizing style over substance is how you get shitty policy and shitty rhetoric.

    A lot of people, myself one of them, don't consider Hillary their natural ally and are kind of suspicious of her and watch her pretty carefully and she's walking a pretty fine line.

    She doesn't get a pass, she doesn't get credit, she doesn't get leeway. She has a really horrible history in politics in some people's opinions and where she stands on a lot of things for some people ranges from nebulous to objectionable. She has changed where she stands on some things, but on others she's either not changed or not really clarified.

    So when she uses a phrase that has it's origins with racists, even if she does it by accident (which, to be honest, I think she did honestly do by accident), she doesn't get leeway. She gets narrowed eyes and calls for accountability.

    There are people who do not trust her and she has not earned their trust.

    Those people should just fucking vote for Jeb.

    They will never be pleased by any electable Democrat.

    Nah that's a terrible idea.

    It is a horrible idea!

    And yet it's still more reasonable than complaining that Hillary is some sort of closet racist because her staffers weren't sufficiently aware of twitter hashtags.

    Because here is the thing. Those complaints? They aren't reasonable. These are unreasonable people. Perhaps being ignored will give them pause and cause them to reevaluate, though I doubt it.

    No one us saying she is a racist due to this gaffe...

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

    if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

    like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

    I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

    but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

    hey if people could do that

    that'd be super

    to clarify is, is this for all posters or like just the regulars?

    because this is one of those I have wondered how to approach since some forumers gets called by their real name quite often (like Cass as you mentioned)

    and it feels like it is more for the "in crowd" if you will, the people that have chat meet-ups at pax or go out to bars in nyc occasionally?

    and so I'm not a very prolific poster here, though I have been posting in chat threads since at least 2010 (I think), and I live on the other side of the ocean

    so it kind of feels very presumptuous to start using real names, like I'm that weird guy that thinks he is a buddy but you barely know? so I have mostly been avoiding it

    (a bit late reply, I too was catching up on the Tube AMA thread)

    this is for everybody

    it's not presumptuous if i ask you to

    Sparvy
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tav wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who know my real name here.

    I'm still gonna be synd or syndalis or that fucking Apple apologist.

    Gotta keep some semblance of my firewall intact.

    i prefer kool-aid dranker

    Ecto cooler was the bomb diggity.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Mostly I just hope that modern politicians don't adopt the internet obsession with personal feelings of grievance being more important than governance or policy in my lifetime.

    RiemannLivessyndalisprogramjunkieshryke
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    people only call cass, cass, because her forum name is so fucking difficult even I can't fix it

    Rad Pilates Aruba is not hard to spell.

  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Mostly I just hope that modern politicians don't adopt the internet obsession with personal feelings of grievance being more important than governance or policy in my lifetime.
    rip

    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • OrphaneOrphane A black light In the deep blue seaRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    no fog of war, no point buy or something else to equalize the teams?
    not interested (inject the single player into my veins tho)

    " Random online battles can be played with standard rules or with limitations to eliminate the effect of Eternal Proofs and possibly other items"

    i wonder if the whole visiting other player's castles is going to devolve into like...Animal Crossing village judgements

    "oh you have this building here? and that villager?"

  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    Point me to a streaming service available in Canada that broadcasts it.

  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    Yeah, it is an all-around stellar show.

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

    if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

    like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

    I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

    but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

    hey if people could do that

    that'd be super

    to clarify is, is this for all posters or like just the regulars?

    because this is one of those I have wondered how to approach since some forumers gets called by their real name quite often (like Cass as you mentioned)

    and it feels like it is more for the "in crowd" if you will, the people that have chat meet-ups at pax or go out to bars in nyc occasionally?

    and so I'm not a very prolific poster here, though I have been posting in chat threads since at least 2010 (I think), and I live on the other side of the ocean

    so it kind of feels very presumptuous to start using real names, like I'm that weird guy that thinks he is a buddy but you barely know? so I have mostly been avoiding it

    (a bit late reply, I too was catching up on the Tube AMA thread)

    sparvy you can call me cass all you want even though we've never had drinks together in nyc

    You may address me as "Sir".

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
    Neco
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Tube did an AMA?

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
    Neco
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Syndalis on the other hand.
    His name is a picture.
    xk90hj1wlrtn.jpg

    Bless your heart.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    Point me to a streaming service available in Canada that broadcasts it.

    Maybe I'll point you to a better country to live in :P

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    BC actually does bring up a point btw

    if y'all could start just calling me Matt instead of Pony, I'd kind of appreciate it

    like everyone uniformly calls Dread Pirate Arbuthnot Cass, nobody calls her by her username

    I haven't been bugging chat about it because I didn't want to be a bother, I think I've mentioned it maybe twice ever

    but I did mention in Tube's AMA and since it's being brought up

    hey if people could do that

    that'd be super

    to clarify is, is this for all posters or like just the regulars?

    because this is one of those I have wondered how to approach since some forumers gets called by their real name quite often (like Cass as you mentioned)

    and it feels like it is more for the "in crowd" if you will, the people that have chat meet-ups at pax or go out to bars in nyc occasionally?

    and so I'm not a very prolific poster here, though I have been posting in chat threads since at least 2010 (I think), and I live on the other side of the ocean

    so it kind of feels very presumptuous to start using real names, like I'm that weird guy that thinks he is a buddy but you barely know? so I have mostly been avoiding it

    (a bit late reply, I too was catching up on the Tube AMA thread)

    sparvy you can call me cass all you want even though we've never had drinks together in nyc

    You may address me as "Sir".

    I may. . .

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    P10Neco
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    Point me to a streaming service available in Canada that broadcasts it.

    21stCentury
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    So

    Bernie Sanders is the one we all want but know will never be

    and Hilary will be the one that probably will, if she wins

    that's how I'm seeing this year.

    what kills me is Bernie is actually electable...

    ...in Canada

    and deep down I think enough Americans actually want Bernie that he could fucking win but there's this weird complex where they doubt themselves and think he can't so they won't vote for him so then he's judged unelectable so he won't win the primary and Hillary will.

    it's like Americans psych themselves out of good candidates into the same old same old

    No, Bernie would lose horribly. His purpose right now is to last as long as he fucking can, debate Hillary, and put his ideas out there into the national dialog such that Hillary has to adopt the better ones into her platform.

    We gotta shift that Overton window a bit here.

    Sanders is some sort of rabble-rouser, yes? He says, "Boo, corporations and CEOs. Free back rubs for the poor" but he's not going to get support from the rich. He makes the Democrats appear more liberal versus the Republicans but the Democrats will never nominate him because he's too far Left.

    Variable
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I did not see that!

    Putin is a DC villain, I swear.

    Check your @s nerd.

    I did @ you with it.

    u7stthr17eud.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I did not know that AllLivesMatter was a racist slogan

    I also don't follow twitter

    "All Lives Matter" is kind of a cunty message because it's a response to "Black Lives Matter" which is like a wake up call slogan. It's like:

    Incident occurs
    "Black lives matter"
    "No no no, all lives matter"
    "Uh, fuck you." Of course all lives matter.

    I don't follow Twitter either but I think it's fairly self-evident.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Tube did an AMA?

    it is ongoing in SE++ right now

    he pops in and out throughout the day checking questions and providing answers

  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    Point me to a streaming service available in Canada that broadcasts it.

    Maybe I'll point you to a better country to live in :P

    can you, though?

  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I disagree that Sanders is a guaranteed loss in the general.

    What's the worst thing they can say about him? That's he a socialist?

    They were already going to say that about whoever the candidate is. Whether it's true or not isn't going to influence anybody.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    TehSloth
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

    I'm making a class that takes an integer N in its constructor and then creates an N by N grid for the instance. What's the proper way to do that? If I declare variables in the constructor, they're out of scope once the constructor is done running, but I won't know how big to make them before running the constructor. I know there is an easy way to do this, but it has been a while and I am very unsure of myself.

    in your class you declare a private member variable for the N by N grid (2d array?)

    that variable is a reference to data of that type not the data itself. It starts out referencing null.

    in the constructor you use the new operator to actually allocate the data and store a refererence to it in your member variable.

    ie:

    class Foo
    {

    public Foo(int size)
    {
    dataGrid = new int[size][size];
    }

    private int dataGrid[][];
    }

    Thanks!

    That is what I was trying so I was getting flustered by it not working. I am missing some punctuation somewhere clearly.

    are you doing

    dataGrid = new int[size][size]();

    cause with array you don't use a function operator () on the constructor. Because lame old holdovers from C.

    No my problem is ten times as dumb

    It is "I took the skeleton code from the class website and didn't think about the fact that they listed all the functions they wanted, but had no curly braces, so the compiler threw ten fits because it didn't know what was going on"

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Tube did an AMA?

    there's an Ask Tube thread in SE++

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You are all bad clinton historians or there would have been a general uproar at me calling Hillary "that woman".

    *disappoint*

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    actually maybe that proves @Aioua's point

    Aioua
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    People are allowed to criticize politicians even if they vote for them.

    Neco on
    Quid
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    FIRST SILLY QUESTION

    I'm making a class that takes an integer N in its constructor and then creates an N by N grid for the instance. What's the proper way to do that? If I declare variables in the constructor, they're out of scope once the constructor is done running, but I won't know how big to make them before running the constructor. I know there is an easy way to do this, but it has been a while and I am very unsure of myself.

    in your class you declare a private member variable for the N by N grid (2d array?)

    that variable is a reference to data of that type not the data itself. It starts out referencing null.

    in the constructor you use the new operator to actually allocate the data and store a refererence to it in your member variable.

    ie:

    class Foo
    {

    public Foo(int size)
    {
    dataGrid = new int[size][size];
    }

    private int dataGrid[][];
    }

    Thanks!

    That is what I was trying so I was getting flustered by it not working. I am missing some punctuation somewhere clearly.

    are you doing

    dataGrid = new int[size][size]();

    cause with array you don't use a function operator () on the constructor. Because lame old holdovers from C.

    No my problem is ten times as dumb

    It is "I took the skeleton code from the class website and didn't think about the fact that they listed all the functions they wanted, but had no curly braces, so the compiler threw ten fits because it didn't know what was going on"

    I will have you know the correct term for those is "sexy braces"

  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Actually I kind of had the same dilemma with ProfM / Silas Brown (iirc) since using an old nickname seemed weird to do for someone who at the time was practically a lurker

    I guess I am just a bit neurotic about these things

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    You are all bad clinton historians or there would have been a general uproar at me calling Hillary "that woman".

    *disappoint*

    you don't know what i feel inside

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Casual
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I did not know that AllLivesMatter was a racist slogan

    I also don't follow twitter

    "All Lives Matter" is kind of a cunty message because it's a response to "Black Lives Matter" which is like a wake up call slogan. It's like:

    Incident occurs
    "Black lives matter"
    "No no no, all lives matter"
    "Uh, fuck you." Of course all lives matter.

    I don't follow Twitter either but I think it's fairly self-evident.
    oh. I can hear it now. like "um, ALL LIVES MATTER, TYRANNUS".

    I can hear it now! Like "cunty" is the perfect adjective for it.

  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    You are all bad clinton historians or there would have been a general uproar at me calling Hillary "that woman".

    *disappoint*

    Like I said.

    I fall asleep just thinking about her.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    spool32
  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Hey y'all Steven Universe

    Watch it

    Watch it now

    Point me to a streaming service available in Canada that broadcasts it.


    The quality is terrible, tho.

  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Im not a hillary fan anyway :P

    Casual
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I disagree that Sanders is a guaranteed loss in the general.

    What's the worst thing they can say about him? That's he a socialist?

    They were already going to say that about whoever the candidate is. Whether it's true or not isn't going to influence anybody.

    I do not agree. There are plenty of moderate democrats who are capitalists, educated enough to know what socialism is (and that Obama is not one, and that Sanders is) who would flip if he were the democratic nominee.

    I think there is a substantial possibility that these would outweigh whatever far left people are out there who are disenfranchised enough by establishment Democrats that they plan to not vote at all if there is an establishment Democrat candidate nominated.

    syndalisshryke
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I wish I had been there when Aioua first started posting in [chat] so I could have said "WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST E?"

    But I'm guessing that joke has already been made at this point.

    vRyue2p.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    My most frequented bar has added a bunch of pinball machines while I was away. why am I So bad at pinball.

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Actually I kind of had the same dilemma with ProfM / Silas Brown (iirc) since using an old nickname seemed weird to do for someone who at the time was practically a lurker

    I guess I am just a bit neurotic about these things

    we're all mostly neurotic so just go with it

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I disagree that Sanders is a guaranteed loss in the general.

    What's the worst thing they can say about him? That's he a socialist?

    They were already going to say that about whoever the candidate is. Whether it's true or not isn't going to influence anybody.

    The worst part about Sanders in American politics is that he openly says he is a socialist. Is proud of it. They will be able to run ads in his own words that will turn out an opposition vote like whoa.

    Also, the dude is not charismatic. At all. His stage presence is shit. Nowadays this matters, as much as we do not want it to.

    The dude has amazing ideas and I love his platform, but pragmatically America will never elect him, and I am pretty sure he knows it. He is serving a very important role right now though, which is moving the debate left within the Democratic Party. It needs to move left. We have been slightly left of center for a couple decades and it hasn't done us many favors.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    RiemannLivesChanusRegina FongAManFromEarthshryke
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    They should lower the presidential eligibility age at least another 5 years

    Bless your heart.
    programjunkie
This discussion has been closed.