As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Talk About [Movies]; Say Interesting Things; Don't Be Jerks

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh I completely forgot he was in Fargo. Yeah he was great as Gus, though just about everyone was good in Fargo.

I mean, I know exactly why Allison Tolman won't be getting a bunch of roles from that show, but that doesn't make me lament it less. Girl is good, and needs to be in more stuff.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Oh I completely forgot he was in Fargo. Yeah he was great as Gus, though just about everyone was good in Fargo.

I mean, I know exactly why Allison Tolman won't be getting a bunch of roles from that show, but that doesn't make me lament it less. Girl is good, and needs to be in more stuff.

It's that accent, you can't do anything with it.

No I know exactly why she won't get other roles as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Atomika wrote: »

It's that accent, you can't do anything with it.

No I know exactly why she won't get other roles as well.

Funnily enough, she's from Texas.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Pixar, 1995: What if toys had feelings
    Pixar, 1998: What if bugs had feelings
    Pixar, 2001: What if monsters had feelings
    Pixar, 2003: What if fish had feelings
    Pixar, 2004: What if superheroes had feelings
    Pixar, 2006: What if cars had feelings
    Pixar, 2007: What if rats had feelings
    Pixar, 2008: What if robots had feelings
    Pixar, 2009: What if dogs had feelings
    Pixar, 2012: What if Scotland had feelings
    Pixar, 2015: WHAT IF FEELINGS HAD FEELINGS

(compliments of turbro)

madparrot on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The only feeling that Scotland needs is the grief of English widows, mourning their lost menfolk. If you can call them "men."

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I f---ing hate that movie. I was pushed into doing that movie. From Coach Carter, they signed me to a three picture deal as a kid. They give you the contract and they say, 'Three-picture deal, here you go.' And as a young [actor] you're thinking, 'Oh my god, that sounds amazing. I'm doing that!' So, time goes by and you get other jobs and you're building your quote and things happen and you have a dream job that you want to go do, and the studio calls up. It was right during the writers strike. It was G.I. Joe. And I loved G.I. Joe. And I said, 'Can I play Snake Eyes?' And they said, 'No, you're not playing Snake Eyes. You're playing Duke.' The script wasn't any good. I didn't want to do something that I was a fan of. I watched it every morning growing up as a kid and I didn't want to do something that I thought was 1) bad and 2) I didn't know if I wanted to be G.I. Joe. But, I could have been given Scream 5 or something, so I'm super lucky and blessed to have been given that film. It really wasn't all that bad, but I had no option."

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The first GI Joe was good. The second one, not so much. He should be more upset he signed on to that movie where his wife gets amnesia but he farts and she loves him again.

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    The first GI Joe was terrible and the second GI Joe was also terrible.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The first G.I. Joe was silly and the second G.I. Joe was less terrible.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ok, fine, let me fix it:
    The first GI Joe was terrible and the second GI Joe was also terrible except for Jonathan Pryce hamming the hammiest ham that ever hammed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1tGCDeOi2o

<3

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Pixar, 1995: What if toys had feelings
    Pixar, 1998: What if bugs had feelings
    Pixar, 2001: What if monsters had feelings
    Pixar, 2003: What if fish had feelings
    Pixar, 2004: What if superheroes had feelings
    Pixar, 2006: What if cars had feelings
    Pixar, 2007: What if rats had feelings
    Pixar, 2008: What if robots had feelings
    Pixar, 2009: What if dogs had feelings
    Pixar, 2012: What if Scotland gingers had feelings
    Pixar, 2015: WHAT IF FEELINGS HAD FEELINGS

(compliments of turbro)

FTFY

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    GI Joe recreated a scene from Team America. It was very self aware about how silly it was

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    G.I. Joe 2 seemed to be very aware of what it was, and that made it fairly enjoyable, as it's mission was basically, "Let's let the Rock and Bruce Willis' charisma carry this cartoon right into Jonathan Pryce's hammy face."

G.I. Joe the First was probably very embarrassing to be part of. I can't believe the quality of the cast in that shitshow. Joseph Gordon Levitt and Christopher Eccleston are in it, fer christsake.

Kidnapping Mr. Heineken, it's one of those movies that is inoffensive and not bad, but not good either, and had some thought put into it, but budgetary limits and the inability to get better actors diminishes it.

Freddy Heineken really was kidnapped in 1983, and this is a good story to tell (apparently there is also a dutch movie, naturally about the same thing recently), but the film spends too much time trying to make us empathize with the kidnappers, who are just some average builder guys, one has a kid, the leader is expecting a kid, etc. The trouble with this is we know what happened to the people in real life, and what they've done since then. So, you're trying to build up mobsters and deadbeats, when the better angle would be to build up Heineken and his driver, who was also abducted. This clearly couldn't have happened because Anthony Hopkins seemed to only have been aboard for a week, and given it takes place mostly in a padded hidden cell, you can just do all his work in a few days and boom, that's it. Anything else would have cost too much.

The rest of the cast isn't that great. It takes place in Amsterdam, so they use english accents, of course, but none of the main actors are really that good. Sam Worthington is one of the leads, some australian who can't hide his accent so you're wondering when did Australia and Holland become so close, and some other people intent on posing for magazines as opposed to acting.

It's one of those common Netflix movies where it's not a theater release, but has a big name or two that might lure you in. It's frustrating, because a better cast of leads or a change of focus would make this story worth being told on film. But basically people with half assed intentions got to the story first before someone else.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    So the first 30 minutes of Transformers AoE plays out like an incredibly creepy and disturbing Interstellar.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Jaws and Jurasic World are playing at the same time. What do I do. which do I see. this is serious.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Jaws and Jurasic World are playing at the same time. What do I do. which do I see. this is serious.

The answer is simple: How easy will it be to see the other film in the theaters another day?

Therefore, go see Jaws.

DarkPrimus on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The answer is simple: How easy will it be to see the other film in the theaters another day?

Therefore, go see Jaws.

Yeah man, I love Jurassic World but this is a no brainer. (just like Jurassic World! ;P)

Oh brilliant
    edited June 2015
    I chose poorly because I showed up late.

I was kind of worried that jaws wouldn't age well.

anyway terrible reciew incoming.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Having perused Channing Tatums AMA on reddit really makes me like the guy. He seems very aware on how privileged he is but also proud of the work he put in to get there.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/3a7irw/

Dudes pretty self aware.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Ok, fine, let me fix it:
    The first GI Joe was terrible and the second GI Joe was also terrible except for Jonathan Pryce hamming the hammiest ham that ever hammed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1tGCDeOi2o

<3

As much as I love Jonathan Pryce in this scene, the North Korean representative's reaction around 1:33 always cracks me up.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Having perused Channing Tatums AMA on reddit really makes me like the guy. He seems very aware on how privileged he is but also proud of the work he put in to get there.

Dudes pretty self aware.
    If that's PR people I'm not sure if they should be fired or given a bonus.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    edited June 2015

Dudes pretty self aware.
    If that's PR people I'm not sure if they should be fired or given a bonus.

Jupiter Ascending? What was that?

ChanningTatumHere 5608 points 6 days ago

Great question. I have the same one to myself.

Disco11 on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tatum is awesome. That AMA is awesome.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I wouldn't say Tatum has any privilege, he worked to get to where he was the regular way compared to half of Hollywood these days.

There was no stop loss to how much he stepped up.

edited June 2015
    Jurassic World wasn't awful. It wasn't Park. it existed. it was big and loud and dumb. Much like a dinosaur I guess.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    Channing Tatum is a white dude who looks like the kind of guy you have a nightmare about sleeping with your wife. He's got privilege out his perfectly sculpted ass.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Not one person asked him about the Jump Street movies... Boo, the captains daughter gag was absolutely hilarious.

Channing Tatum is a white dude who looks like the kind of guy you have a nightmare about sleeping with your wife. He's got privilege out his perfectly sculpted ass.

That ass doesn't come from cheetos and Call of Duty. He knows his physique is a big draw and he puts the time in to maintain it.

In his AMA he is the first to admit his early roles were all for that ass and not his acting skills.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Jurassic World wasn't awful. It wasn't Park. it existed. it was big and loud and dumb. Much like a dinosaur I guess.

Wait, you went with Jurassic World because you were afraid Jaws would be too dated? Jurassic World has been out for like a week, which means it's already more dated than Jaws. Jaws will be relevant as long as we have sharks and beaches, but JW is already 4 iPhone models behind.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote: »

Wait, you went with Jurassic World because you were afraid Jaws would be too dated? Jurassic World has been out for like a week, which means it's already more dated than Jaws. Jaws will be relevant as long as we have sharks and beaches, but JW is already 4 iPhone models behind.

Mostly because I would have been late for Jaws.

steam_sig.png
    You can't ever be late for Jaws man, Quint doesn't show up until like half way through.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    You can't ever be late for Jaws man, Quint doesn't show up until like half way through.

I don't even know who that is. Does he need a bigger boat.

steam_sig.png
    No he's the guy that will give you the tail, the fin, the whole damn thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

I don't even know who that is. Does he need a bigger boat.

Technically they all need a bigger boat.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    One of the reasons Jaws won't get really dated is you only see the terrible mechanical shark a couple of times, the people are the stars. The best monster movies are great due to the characters.

Cabezone on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Dudes pretty self aware.

things we agree on:

fav pizza is cheese and pepperoni
    best ice cream is cookie dough
    I text chris pratt all the time too!
    WE BOTH LOVE PINTEREST CHANNING OMG

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Saw Inside Out yesterday. It's fantastic. With a capital A. But not the first one. Like this: fantAstic.

My best friend and I give it four fist-bump thumbs up.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This day in movie history: 33 years ago today, John Carpenter's The Thing was released into theaters.

So, if you're looking for an excuse to watch that today, here you go.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

See Inside Out

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
This discussion has been closed.