As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    We should just euthanize everyone.

Only babies strong enough to throttle the doctor to death and consume their corpse for sustenance are fit to live.
    The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heartbeats an hour). I know, however, of a young chronophobiac who experienced something like panic when looking for the first time at homemade movies that had been taken a few weeks before his birth. He saw a world that was practically unchanged-the same house, the same people- and then realized that he did not exist there at all and that nobody mourned his absence. He caught a glimpse of his mother waving from an upstairs window, and that unfamiliar gesture disturbed him, as if it were some mysterious farewell. But what particularly frightened him was the sight of a brand-new baby carriage standing there on the porch, with the smug, encroaching air of a coffin; even that was empty, as if, in the reverse course of events, his very bones had disintegrated.

obF2Wuw.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    omg

warner bros is suspending sales of PC versions of Arkham Knight

it's that bad

what's going on with this?

the guy at work like his copy well enough

apparently it's just got dogshit framerate and crashes like a motherfucker on a wide variety of systems

people have driver issues like crazy

it's basically a bad port

it's real bad

so bad that Warner Bros straight up just took it off the digital shelf, you can't buy it for PC right now on Steam or whatever

and they literally told people how to refund it if they wanted and are like "we understand if you're upset and if you want a refund, okay, we're sorry"

and they're working on fixing it

yikes

my mate must have it on console

Lh96QHG.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so i traded in my old 360

turned out it was too old to qualify for the deal so they gave me like $35 store credit

but i had a pile of old games that i sold with it so i got a ps4 for about $150

woo

you have officially won the console generation.

Now whenever a game comes out, you will be able to play it.

I'll be there next year I am sure.

synd how likely is it the hololens will be amazing

because i am seriously considering picking up a bone just for that minecraft experience

It will likely be fucking awesome once it is a real product you can buy in stores.

But it wont be a real product for a while, so don't buy an XBO for that reason alone.

they are still tweaking the hardware, expanding the field of view, and doing all sorts of stuff that a product ready for release would not need to have done to it.

If you get an XBO, get it because there are a bunch of great games you want to play on it now or this holiday, or you have a massive rock band library on your 360, or a bunch of 360 games you want to keep playing, etc etc.

As it stands, the Xbox One is the logical upgrade console if you have a 360 - this was not always the case, but with Backwards Compatibility being a very real thing, well....

well, i have ps4 currently and hadn't had a console since like 2002 before that

so i guess i will hold off on the xbone until the hololens is a fully operational battlestation

good idea.

It will probably be great, but if thats the only reason you want one, then wait it out.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    MrMister wrote: »
    Also, these instructions are incoherent
    Important Note - the FBI needs two separate sets of ink print cards submitted before they will do a name search. So, if there are any issues with having difficulty obtaining clear prints (medical condition that doesn't allow you to fully open your hands, worn fingerprints, etc.) you might be required to submit a second set of fingerprints. This isn't always necessary, but if the first set isn't clear and the FBI rejects them this will add a significant delay if you do not get two sets completed initially. Please be sure to get two done, send them both and the second set will be held to see if the FBI rejects the first set.

Riddle me this: are two sets required or merely requested? The first sentence clearly states that the FBI requires two sets. But then the last sentence states that they won't actually send the second set to the FBI unless there's a problem--so how could the FBI be requiring two sets? Also, the explanation for why they request two sets strongly implies that they will try to go ahead with one.

Who the fuck wrote this?

two probably need to be available

but most people might not hit the second check

Overall it sounds like they, not the FBI, are trying to require two sets--although that makes the first sentence mysterious. It also makes their decision to phrase it as "please be sure" incredibly opaque. If it's a requirement then you should express it with an imperative phrase, not a request.

Every choice they made writing this was wrong wtf lern to english

MrMister on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    10 million is probably not enough to make the shenmue 3 he wants
    idk man games are expensive wtf

Yeah, it sure as hell isn't a triple-A budget.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/24/shenmue-3-creator-explains-sony-help/

So Yu Suzuki apologized to the backers about not being honest about the funding for this kickstarter.

Turns out Sony will be directly involved in production, advertising, even publishing (at least on the PS4), and this was guaranteed before the kickstarter even happened.

He is stating that Sony will not see a dime of the kickstarter money and it will all go into development of the game, but if sony is ALSO developing the game alongside Yu...

People just need to be up front with their shit. I would have still backed it. But the reason they didn't mention Sony is because people woul dbe far less likely to open up their pursestrings for a game that already has the financial backing of a corporation like Sony.

The latest Jimquisition brought up another troubling point - Yu Suzuki first said Shenmue 3's Kickstarter goal was $2 million but then later added bigger goals would mean more areas would be in the final game. That is, fans won't get the full Shenmue 3 experience for less than $10 million raised. That's trickery to me.

I mean, if it never will have existed can it really be said that we aren't getting the full experience? I can't imagine many triple A titles ship with full scope accomplished.

Shenmue fans want the full experience and the ones who donated to the kickstarter on day one thought they were contributing to that. I wouldn't be slightly miffed had the kickstarter started with a $10 million goal.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Ay I'm gonna be playing some DMC4SE on da ravens channel if ya wanna see! Playin' Vergil. <3

DRX is fighting Berial, the Conquerer of the Fire Hell as Virgil and needs to know how to get good.

ahdihjk70qok.jpg

I don't know how a tiny man with big hair could possibly defeat the Balrog.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    I haven't donated a cent to Shenmue 3, for the record.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Looks like I wont be homeless next week!

you think youre so fancy

Im a fancy little carrot cupcake!

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    omg

it's that bad

apparently it's just got dogshit framerate and crashes like a motherfucker on a wide variety of systems

it's real bad

so bad that Warner Bros straight up just took it off the digital shelf, you can't buy it for PC right now on Steam or whatever

and they literally told people how to refund it if they wanted and are like "we understand if you're upset and if you want a refund, okay, we're sorry"

yikes

apparently the console versions are fine!

it's the PC versions that are dogshit

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Also anyone who disagrees with my position was probably just a weak baby and knows it.

I, on the other hand, laid waste to the hospital before crawling into the sewer to plot the downfall of the human race.

Are you zee penguin?

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Huh, I watched a stream of cs pro on twitch play through the main story the other day and it was mostly fine for him

I guess he got some monster SLI setup computer and I hear the game is worse on AMD cards, which must have made a difference

I don't think he crashed once in like a 10 hour session

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Also, these instructions are incoherent
    Important Note - the FBI needs two separate sets of ink print cards submitted before they will do a name search. So, if there are any issues with having difficulty obtaining clear prints (medical condition that doesn't allow you to fully open your hands, worn fingerprints, etc.) you might be required to submit a second set of fingerprints. This isn't always necessary, but if the first set isn't clear and the FBI rejects them this will add a significant delay if you do not get two sets completed initially. Please be sure to get two done, send them both and the second set will be held to see if the FBI rejects the first set.

Riddle me this: are two sets required or merely requested? The first sentence clearly states that the FBI requires two sets. But then the last sentence states that they won't actually send the second set to the FBI unless there's a problem--so how could the FBI be requiring two sets? Also, the explanation for why they request two sets strongly implies that they will try to go ahead with one.

Who the fuck wrote this?

two probably need to be available

but most people might not hit the second check

Overall it sounds like they, not the FBI, are trying to require two sets--although that makes the first sentence mysterious. It also makes their decision phrase it as "please be sure" incredibly opaque. If it's a requirement then you should express it with an imperative phrase, not a request.

Every choice they made writing this was wrong wtf lern to english

it is indeed not very clear, but reading it it seems that they want you to submit two cards in case your first one is not usable

the language could be cleaned up quite a bit, but i have seen worse form direction

I'm looking at you, UKBA!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

10 million would be enough to make a Shenmue 3 that looks like Shenmue 2 running in an emulator though. Maybe even a bigger game than the old ones. I feel like this should be a valid option.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i don't even know what a shenmue is and all these people are talking about it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

yeah 10m is a tiny budget for an open world game. especially if its going to be on a console.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    omg

it's that bad

it's real bad

yikes

apparently the console versions are fine!

it's the PC versions that are dogshit

Yeah, Digital Foundry played around with an XBO and a PS4 version and they called it an aberrant; a game that was bug-free and complete at launch.

Compare this to the PC release.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    also the fafsa jesus christ

Lh96QHG.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Also anyone who disagrees with my position was probably just a weak baby and knows it.

I, on the other hand, laid waste to the hospital before crawling into the sewer to plot the downfall of the human race.

Are you zee penguin?

Penguin didn't lay waste to any hospital, his parents flushed him in shame.

It's a cat-petting, rock-hopping, forklift-driving, SpaceHarrier-playing, motorcycle-riding, soda-drinking simulator.

I wanted to play kickstarter fpr bloodstained but I was too poor. My point us that I dont have much interest in shenmue.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

giraffesic park

wazilla wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/24/shenmue-3-creator-explains-sony-help/

So Yu Suzuki apologized to the backers about not being honest about the funding for this kickstarter.

Turns out Sony will be directly involved in production, advertising, even publishing (at least on the PS4), and this was guaranteed before the kickstarter even happened.

He is stating that Sony will not see a dime of the kickstarter money and it will all go into development of the game, but if sony is ALSO developing the game alongside Yu...

People just need to be up front with their shit. I would have still backed it. But the reason they didn't mention Sony is because people woul dbe far less likely to open up their pursestrings for a game that already has the financial backing of a corporation like Sony.

The latest Jimquisition brought up another troubling point - Yu Suzuki first said Shenmue 3's Kickstarter goal was $2 million but then later added bigger goals would mean more areas would be in the final game. That is, fans won't get the full Shenmue 3 experience for less than $10 million raised. That's trickery to me.

I mean, if it never will have existed can it really be said that we aren't getting the full experience? I can't imagine many triple A titles ship with full scope accomplished.

Shenmue fans want the full experience and the ones who donated to the kickstarter on day one thought they were contributing to that. I wouldn't be slightly miffed had the kickstarter started with a $10 million goal.

They asked for what, $300,000 for Broken Age? It's kind of par for the course when not hitting your goal means you get nothing at all. Your reasoning is gonna be something like "Well at least with $2 mil I can make a text adventure version of the game I actually wanted to make!"

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    if he has a deal with sony to chip in money beyond that + idk reusing someone's engine?

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

this comic is surprisingly accurate

i-MhCLV9s-1050x10000.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited June 2015
    Im a vampire!

Neco on

It's a cat-petting, rock-hopping, forklift-driving, SpaceHarrier-playing, motorcycle-riding, soda-drinking simulator.

oh it's my real life

cB557 wrote: »

"You think they'll have that on the tour?"

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

Are you zee penguin?

Penguin didn't lay waste to any hospital, his parents flushed him in shame.

Penguin ate a cat whole. What foul substance emitted from him at and after birth can be considered laying waste.

this comic is surprisingly accurate

i-MhCLV9s-1050x10000.jpg

heh

yeah i read that on monday and i was like

i'm that kid

One of the huge costs associated with Shenmue was that every single aspect of the game was custom made.

They should build Shenmue 3 on Unreal Engine or Unity - that alone will probably save them 20-30 million dollars of the original budget.

Also, since a large part of Shenmue 3 was due to take place in rural china, you could use things like speedtree and terrain maps to build out beautiful, believable environments with minimal effort compared to what they had to do 14 years ago.

10 million is still laughably small for a budget, but I think they could get much farther on 10m now than they could of back before such platforms and tools were available.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Winky wrote: »

10 million would be enough to make a Shenmue 3 that looks like Shenmue 2 running in an emulator though. Maybe even a bigger game than the old ones. I feel like this should be a valid option.

The whole retro thing doesn't fly as well when we're talking about 3D graphics

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I still don't understand why hololens is preferable to actual VR. I can see it for board games, but since its on xbone, how much of that can we really expect? I feel like everything it will be usable for, while neat, will just be something that could have been done more immersively in VR. I REALLY want to play a strategy game or city building game in a similiar perspective to that mine craft demo. That seems like an amazing experience. I just think I'd rather have that perspective in VR, instead of being limited by my physical space.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    PC gamers crack me up sometimes tho

GTA V didn't launch with a PC version and they flipped their fucking shit about it

Rockstar waited over a year to launch a version that runs 4K 60fps on the PC, did it properly and nobody complained about the quality of the release

instead of releasing a jank-ass port just to align with the console launches

WB makes fuckin' sure that the PC launch for Arkham Knight corresponds with the console launch

and it's a fuckin trainwreck

welp

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Neco how does a double post happen several posts apart!

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Facebook Friend:
    Today I won a copy of Batman: Arkham Knight from the generous angels at DESTRUCTOID and DLCompare.com because I left a comment saying I thought Chris O'Donnell's Robin was "kinda hot."
    Today, I won.
    chris-odonnell-robin.jpg

I still don't understand why hololens is preferable to actual VR. I can see it for board games, but since its on xbone, how much of that can we really expect? I feel like everything it will be usable for, while neat, will just be something that could have been done more immersively in VR. I REALLY want to play a strategy game or city building game in a similiar perspective to that mine craft demo. That seems like an amazing experience. I just think I'd rather have that perspective in VR, instead of being limited by my physical space.

i dunno that i prefer one over the other

i just saw the hololens in action and i wanted to make babies with it

edited June 2015

Morpheus is limited by the PS4.

Hololens is a PC-focused product that is getting XBO support, and they are thinking WAY beyond games for it.

edit: they are two completely different products doing two completely different things. It will not be an AR vs. VR war. It will be a VR war between oculus and Valve and Sony, and then AR off doing its own thing really well.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I have a question about VR

Is there a way to make it so that when someone wants my attention outside of my virtual reality, it isn't necessarily heart attack inducing?

My experience with an Oculus devkit also suggests it's easy to punch your friends in the face accidentally >_>

This discussion has been closed.