As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Bungie next game make Myth 3 instead of Totally Not Halo, thanks.

Real talk - one of the main reasons I don't like xbox is that MS both ruined Halo and made Bungie into the Halo people instead of the "eclectic collection of games" people.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    @neco is this u

TRO1jN6.gif

Yes this is me.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I think that multiplayer TES sounds like crap no matter what.

All of my friends play murderous savages, while I prefer to be a larcenous peacenik.

Crossing those streams breaks the experience in one way or another.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I think we were better off before the days of easily distributed patches. Games had bugs, but almost all of them were totally playable out of the box, at least.

think how differently KOTOR 2 would have been received if it could've been patched faster

But that is just Lucas art's fault, just like the state of the game on release.

Bioware and LucasArts did fine with with the first KOTOR. KOTOR 2's failures lie with Obsidian.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Myth is so good I don't even care that they straight up ripped off the entire story from the Black Company. I remember once one of my dwarves was shot with an arrow and it didn't hurt him because it hit the button on his shirt and the button just went flying. I love that game so much.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    halo got devolved to 343

the damage was done, tho

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Real talk - one of the main reasons I don't like xbox is that MS both ruined Halo and made Bungie into the Halo people instead of the "eclectic collection of games" people.
    They didn't ruin halo tho
    like, it changed significantly and I can respect if you'd have preferred the RTS
    but like, it was a good game as an FPS as well, it wasn't ruined
    it's also worth noting that bungie was in a terrible state financially as well, without MS Halo would likely never have been made

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I think we were better off before the days of easily distributed patches. Games had bugs, but almost all of them were totally playable out of the box, at least.

think how differently KOTOR 2 would have been received if it could've been patched faster

Bioware and LucasArts did fine with with the first KOTOR. KOTOR 2's failures lie with Obsidian.
    i'm hoping you are unaware of the publisher fuckery that actually went on
    game got moved up from 2005 release to dec. 2004 + they only had ~15 months overall

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/8824667/pillars-eternity-white-march-part-1-expansion-impressions-e3-2015

obF2Wuw.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    There's a pretty good chance I'm going to lose my shit at work tomorrow. Even knowing this ahead of time I don't think I can stop myself from going apeshit. I am going to rip these motherfuckers apart.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Lucasarts kept moving up the deadline date for KotOR 2 so it went out literally without an end.

It was still better than the first though!

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Catching up on some Lucha Undergorund -- this is too good, it's a shame their talent pool is too small to really compete with the WWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54r7Z0Yotg8

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

l0l

obF2Wuw.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

i'm hoping you are unaware of the publisher fuckery that actually went on
    game got moved up from 2005 release to dec. 2004 + they only had ~15 months overall

Maybe KOTOR 2 used all the assets from KOTOR like Majora's Mask took from Ocarina of Time. I didn't know about the release date moving up, though.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

This is weird.

I mean, of all the people who I thought would be pragmatic about the realities of business and responsibilities of corporations to their shareholders I thought it would be you. Well, rather, it is you except when it comes to particular games and companies. You really attach emotional and moral significance to BAU.

Not a criticism, just an observation and ...request for comment I guess.

Apothe0sis on

. . . They gave Obsidian much less time than they gave Bioware, Obsidian had to modify a kludgy engine they were not familiar with, and Lucasarts made them change the ending very late in development and did not give them additional time to react to that change.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    So, a tornado blew through real quick last evening. Knocking power lines, causing all manner of the usual issues, not that they're something we usual have to deal with in the greater Philadelphia area. Today was my usual day off and instead of getting to play some FF14 I got to clean up.

JyANoUy.jpg?1
    wxYlrGc.jpg?1
    4KCozKB.jpg?1

Those first two just show about 2/3 of the total that I had to put out. The third is a branch as long as the house is wide and missed hitting the house and patio by inches. I'm spent. I'm more than spent. I'm dead. I'm just waiting to be buried at this point.

iguanacus wrote: »
    Those first two just show about 2/3 of the total that I had to put out. The third is a branch as long as the house is wide and missed hitting the house and patio by inches. I'm spent. I'm more than spent. I'm dead. I'm just waiting to be buried at this point.

you showed that hurricane whos boss

obF2Wuw.png
    cB557 wrote: »

like, it changed significantly and I can respect if you'd have preferred the RTS
    it's also worth noting that bungie was in a terrible state financially as well, without MS Halo would likely never have been made

Halo kept winning awards and was really hotly anticipated for a long time. It wasn't going to be an RTS. Just a shooter with a much larger scope. What was released bears almost no resemblance to the game they were developing.

Drez wrote: »
    There's a pretty good chance I'm going to lose my shit at work tomorrow. Even knowing this ahead of time I don't think I can stop myself from going apeshit. I am going to rip these motherfuckers apart.

Meeting Request
    Subject: Going Apeshit
    Start Time: 9.00 AM
    End Time: 10.30 AM
    Required: All Staff

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Halo kept winning awards and was really hotly anticipated for a long time. It wasn't going to be an RTS. Just a shooter with a much larger scope. What was released bears almost no resemblance to the game they were developing.
    My point still stands, though

I thought Halo started its development as a racer.

Apothe0sis wrote: »

This is weird.

I mean, of all the people who I thought would be pragmatic about the realities of business and responsibilities of corporations to their shareholders I thought it would be you. Well, rather, it is you except when it comes to particular games and companies. You really attach emotional and moral significance to BAU.

It's true. I think its because of the time in my life when all that stuff happened and the significance that certain games played in helping me through major life issues, but I react emotionally to games in a way that I almost never to for other discussions.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Meeting Request
    Subject: Going Apeshit
    Start Time: 9.00 AM
    End Time: 10.30 AM
    Required: All Staff

p. much

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    ive never had an emotion so i dont know about this stuff but i really like clicking

obF2Wuw.png

This is weird.

It's true. I think its because of the time in my life when all that stuff happened and the significance that certain games played in helping me through major life issues, but I react emotionally to games in a way that I almost never to for other discussions.
    I would also add to this:

Companies that don't have the functionality you like in their products (like Spotify)
    Companies that produce things that you don't like as much as other things (like Samsung)

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Berial blew me up on stream oh noooo

Vergil is tough tho. D:

Oh brilliant
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya @Apothe0sis

as usual

comments are pretty on point.

Singer is, if nothing else, a consistent shining example of why academic freedom is important.

@MrMister
    It feels strange to want to read and respond positively to comments on the internet.

I went and read the Barnes article as recommended and found no obvious link beyond the very general "disability is discussed".
    I'm v opposed to shit that Tim Hunt said on a scientific basis because as a scientist he should present evidence for his claims other than the experiential. That being said, the attack on philosophers of late for doing philosophy is the dumbest goddamn shit and highlights why tenure is really damn important.

Read a good article by an anonymous author who was identified only as an adjunct professor at a large U.S. university (adjunct means no tenure for those not up on academia employment). He said that all his lectures are now prepared for the current environment where offending a student risks dismissal. This is a thing he agonizes over and loses sleep over because he needs his job. He also said other adjuncts he knows have the same fears.

Some people will find that great, as of course being offended is amongst the worst possible things. But consider that the line between being offended and being challenged is razor thin, varies from student to student, and for some students anything that challenges them is perceived as offensive. It is of course your right to take to the internet and attempt to get a mob going, which can cause not only dismissal of an unprotected professor but unemployability if a large enough stink is made.

And of course this offended student can be anyone. It needn't be a black, gay, or trans student. It can be a religious student (of any religion) a conservative student etc. None of these viewpoints can be safely challenged by an unprotected professor. It only takes one student to be super offended, take to the internet and get a dogpile going, and the university will drop you on your ass because you're an adjunct and they hired you into that position because you are pretty expendable.

So yes, tenure is super fucking important because we are quickly reaching the point where only tenured professors can say things that challenge students.

Oooor, better general employment protections?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

This is weird.

Well as long as you can admit that you're responding from an emotional point of view, and politely bow out of the discussion to allow others to discuss things dispassionately.

lol

I am kidding of course. But I feel this poke that I have aimed at you has some slight validity vis a vis your views on how people should enter into discussions.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i want to go finish gaylo 1 but it is so old school and klunky and destiny is right there

but i do kind of want to play the 4 halo games for historical value

bluh

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Adjunct doesn't mean no tenure.

Adjunct means part time employment for full time effort.

You make like 20k a year if you're an adjunct most places, it's terrible.

Lh96QHG.png

This is weird.

I would also add to this:

Companies that don't have the functionality you like in their products (like Spotify)
    Companies that produce things that you don't like as much as other things (like Samsung)

If I'm being honest, I don't like spotify so strongly because of how much hype it had, and how people acted like it was the first streaming service.

I don't like samsung because of specific behaviors they have engaged in (product design philosophy, attack ads). Their entire approach to consumer electronics, from the TVs with the glossy layer added to them to amoled screens in their phones to the kitchen sink approach to new features just does not align with my interests.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I played halo once I dunno which one

it was against my girlfriend-at-the-time's 14yo nephew

I was like 25

he embarrassed me

he embarrassed me bad

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I mean technically you make like a grand, maybe a grand and a half if you're lucky per class.

So you make that times the number of classes you can teach, usually capped out at two/three a semester.

Just an awful system.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I don't really like shooters unless there is a pretty compelling story and/or rpg elements backing it up.

Games where the main appeal is shooting and the story (or "campaign") is just window treatment for the peeveepees hold no appeal to me whatsoever. I did attempt to play one of the Crysis games because honestly the cyber suit thing is hawt and almost made me turn into a robosexual, but it was too fidgety and difficult and I lost interest. Also the inventory/gear system was like someone walked past an rpg and glanced at it and said "oh... so, there should be like gear or something whatever" - just fucking terrible.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I mean technically you make like a grand, maybe a grand and a half if you're lucky per class.

So you make that times the number of classes you can teach, usually capped out at two/three a semester.

Just an awful system.

also you can't teach at multiple colleges in the same system to make enough money to live on so they don't have to give you benefits

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Most adjuncts have to teach at a couple different schools at a time to make ends me.

Like a few at a comm college, one at local uni, etc

It's cheap for the schools, cause then there's one less full time salary/benefits person in their budget

but it's awful for the instructor, especially when you consider they have to have a masters at least, phd preferred to get in which means they've probably got some student loan debt

Lh96QHG.png
    Chanus wrote: »

Just an awful system.

also you can't teach at multiple colleges in the same system to make enough money to live on so they don't have to give you benefits

i looked into adjuncting when i got out of school but honestly i'm making more money as an IT drone at entry level than i would've done

Lh96QHG.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Guess the complaints about the PC version of Arkham Knight weren't overblown, huh. Just got pulled from Steam. D:

Oh brilliant
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    My dad is almost 60 and he wrecks my shit at Halo.

Throwin plasma grenades from across the screen.

Dad u trollin

This discussion has been closed.