As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    i should go get a box of wine, but it's only Wednesday.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    sigh

ok

lets get this over with

Cindy insists i tell you all that her junk is super smooth

she won't stop asking and is monitoring the thread to make sure i do it

CINDERS COME BACK

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Damnit. A weird flying bug was in my room flying around and creeping me out. I finally smashed it... and when I smashed it it glowed.

I just murdered a firefly and feel awful.

Also now I know what fireflies look like up close so future ones are safe.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    on a side note i am one "YOU MUST TELL CHAT X" away from pleading with @Jacobkosh to unban her

Yessss

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I find myself jonesing for Doom. Or what I think Doom will be. This weekend I played the first half of the Battlefield 4 campaign, and had to quit in a state of great frustration. I tried a shotgun that I liked, and found it near impossible to use in most situations. Levels were populated with enemies a couple of cities away, poking my head out immediately took me to the red, and I could only regenerate my health by hiding behind cover. They gave me a bunch of mostly independent squad mates, who I could point at any set of enemies and they would more less take care of them. Why was I even there?

This weekend I shall play The Old Blood.

Doom will have no cover. No chest-high walls. No regenerating health. Videos makes it clear to me that if you stop moving in Doom, you take damage.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    I've never heard of an adjunct being tenured, that's interesting. Regardless, it's kind of an aside to the point of the article which was no tenure = fear of offending a student = watering down your class so that no one can find anything offensive in it.

To be fair, then there's the flipside of "lol got tenure, fuck all'y'all Idgaf"

This really isn't the problem that conservatives enjoy making it out to be.

-edit-

see also: voter fraud

Well, you're not talking to a conservative, you're talking to me

So I don't know what to tell you?

Maybe try backing it up with something?

Show that it is a problem, professors getting tenure and then slacking off? I haven't seen it myself. The vast majority of my university professors have been tenured and they are a really incredible group of people. I love my department.

What's your experience?

I've had quite a few adjunct profs that I really adored. I also had a couple who were just complete fuck-ups - missed classes, couldn't keep to their schedules, came up with BS time-wasting activities for students instead of things that they'd actually have to work at. Those fuckups are gone now, replaced with people who presumably are less allergic to actually doing some goddamn teaching.

I've also had some tenured profs that I loved, and some that were fuckups. I had an economics prof that was assigned as my advisor as well, and he spent about the first 4 weeks of his classes telling you all about his personal worldview - nothing really about economics, just old affluent white guy shit that in his wisdom he felt like was reaaally worth our time (one of these is how miracles are totally a thing so you should probably consider jesus). Then he'd cram in all the econ assignments and tests into the last half of the semester, giving us very little time or support to learn the material. Only really good students could pass his class, which he would then pat himself on the back about because oh his passing students sure do know their stuff, that makes him a great teacher. I loathed him with a passion.

Him and all of the other shitty tenured teachers I knew are still there, still being shitty teachers.

So, like, yeah, I get that there's a legit fear of offending arbitrary or ignorant students and getting let go for it. But frankly I'd prefer an environment where being really offensive or just a bad teacher has penalties, and tenure can and does veer way too far in the other direction. I've known too many profs who think they're challenging their students when they're really just being fucking assholes to accept blindly the claims of an anonymous adjunct.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Overshare

Cinders...

you are oversharing

Self-ban then chatting by proxy seems like cheating, too.

nibXTE7.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Im about to go login to destiny and then practice my dance moves but i just wanted to congradulate @cinders on the ultra smooth junk

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    sooo the girl who has been my fuck buddy just ditched me for my high school crush. earth. please.

so, three way then?

nah that's the one girl I can't due

steam_sig.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I saw Inside Out. It was good.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, Far Cry 4 is everything I wanted out of a Far Cry 4 and I'm having fun with it, but there I was this moment that made me want to stab a dude. First of all, fuck flying enemies, they are assholes and everyone knows it. This eagle was hunting for my head, and I was ready. I was gonna nail the stupid bastard with a bow so I just waited for the swoop. I pulled the string when I saw it get ready; locked in on it when it was descending, but I wasn't letting the arrow fly yet. This thing deserved an arrow in the eye from 1 foot away. When it got within about 3 yards of me, my dude went into an automatic "cover-your-face" animation before the eagle hit me. Fuck you, game, I had this. I was ready, and you ruined it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    100% of flying enemies are infuriating garbage

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Damnit. A weird flying bug was in my room flying around and creeping me out. I finally smashed it... and when I smashed it it glowed.

I just murdered a firefly and feel awful.

Also now I know what fireflies look like up close so future ones are safe.

Now you're just like Fox!

Except maybe for the feeling bad part.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Overshare

Cinders...

you are oversharing

Self-ban then chatting by proxy seems like cheating, too.

Nah, this is the future. We will not post in chat, we can all make bots to do that for us then give us summaries of what happened, then we can use our time for something else.

Running from terminators probably.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    on the other hand 100% of flying fireflies are the best bugs

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Imma get home tomorrow and play all the videogames.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    now its time fooooor thingsIboughtatSheetz

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    If the firefly had just glowed once in the minutes that I was watching it I would have rescued it and put it outside.

I don't even know how the hell it got in here.

Goldeneye 007's controls were fine considering the levels were flat as pancakes. You rarely had to look up and down except maybe in multiplayer. Playing 007 with dual analog controls these days might make the game too easy - Perfect Dark on XBLA was definitely easier, Joanna Dark's crosshair whipping about the screen all willy nilly hitting everything she was aiming at.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD GUYS

JET FUEL CAN MELT STEEL BEAMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kloTsio60&feature=youtu.be

AND IT'S FOR SALE NOW

GOD FUCKING BLESS AMERICA

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    @syndalis if I have to kill discoveryd to make DNS work one more time I am going to burn an apple in effigy.

10.10.4 cannot come fast enough. This is what happens when you try to replace trusted, stable, open source components for no reason other than some suit getting the heebie jeebies that some freeloader might be using the code they paid to improve.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »

the most troll thing ever would be a game of nothing but medusa heads, birds, and flying jetpack ninjas

rRwz9.gif
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Another date, another lovely young woman! This is great because I like spending time with lovely people, and not great because I don't think I can simultaneously date this many people for very long.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Another date, another lovely young woman! This is great because I like spending time with lovely people, and not great because I don't think I can simultaneously date this many people for very long.

second date successfully scheduled for friday with lady from yest, yus, gonna get dope food and see mad max again which she not seen
    and thus the test for if she enjoys it or not to prove if she is cool or not i guess...

woman for first date tomorrow responded, but she forgot her phone at home all day
    which then meant she apparently got her mother worried she was dead or something who then asked her to go visit, so, date cancelled
    but this is bad, because... basically there are only 3 weeknights between now and july 13 when i am free and in nyc, since i am traveling so much - she said we will def hang out when i am back, but i worry that the almost 3.5 weeks till then is unfortunate. oh well. maybe i can think of things to converse about via text. probably not.. i dunno what to converse about via text with people i have not met, i don't wanna ask a bunch of questions. so hopefully she will still want to meet up by then

poo
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @syndalis if I have to kill discoveryd to make DNS work one more time I am going to burn an apple in effigy.

10.10.4 cannot come fast enough. This is what happens when you try to replace trusted, stable, open source components for no reason other than some suit getting the heebie jeebies that some freeloader might be using the code they paid to improve.

It was a fucking mistake. Plain and simple.

OSX El Capitan does not have this problem, and neither do the developer previews of 10.10.4 - mDNSResponder is back in its place, thank god.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

the most troll thing ever would be a game of nothing but medusa heads, birds, and flying jetpack ninjas

230340-AnnoyingMainImage.jpg

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Also, Far Cry 4 is everything I wanted out of a Far Cry 4 and I'm having fun with it, but there I was this moment that made me want to stab a dude. First of all, fuck flying enemies, they are assholes and everyone knows it. This eagle was hunting for my head, and I was ready. I was gonna nail the stupid bastard with a bow so I just waited for the swoop. I pulled the string when I saw it get ready; locked in on it when it was descending, but I wasn't letting the arrow fly yet. This thing deserved an arrow in the eye from 1 foot away. When it got within about 3 yards of me, my dude went into an automatic "cover-your-face" animation before the eagle hit me. Fuck you, game, I had this. I was ready, and you ruined it.

I am playing Far Cry 4 right now too, and I have to say, I find it HILARIOUS how completely freaked out all humans are by eagles. Like, one shows up and people with guns are like "OH SHIT, EAGLE! WATCH OUT FOR ITS TALONS" and randomly shooting in the air. Meanwhile, civilians with no guns basically just scream their heads off and run around wildly.

I mean, it is inarguably dumb how aggressive the eagles are, but seriously guys, there's a house right there, just go inside for a second.

Meanwhile, they are alarmed but calmer when being attacked by rhinos, which are 1000 times more dangerous. Not to mention shouting stuff like "Watch out for its horn!".

vRyue2p.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    No but for real, fuck eagles tho

vRyue2p.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    sigh

i want to hang out with people but i don't have any people to hang out with because the only way to find people to hang out with is to hang out with other people

Jacobkosh wrote: »

Don't forget cliff racers.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Huh, so Voat.Co (the Reddit clone people always claim they're moving to when they get angry) actually got shut down temporarily because the host claimed it hosted "politically incorrect" content unacceptable to them.

I ate an engineer
    what have we decided witness me is for

I am playing Far Cry 4 right now too, and I have to say, I find it HILARIOUS how completely freaked out all humans are by eagles. Like, one shows up and people with guns are like "OH SHIT, EAGLE! WATCH OUT FOR ITS TALONS" and randomly shooting in the air. Meanwhile, civilians with no guns basically just scream their heads off and run around wildly.

I mean, it is inarguably dumb how aggressive the eagles are, but seriously guys, there's a house right there, just go inside for a second.

Meanwhile, they are alarmed but calmer when being attacked by rhinos, which are 1000 times more dangerous. Not to mention shouting stuff like "Watch out for its horn!".

Last night I had this idea that I was gonna take down a rhino with my bow. The plan was to hit in the face, dodge its charge, repeat. This is how it worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scn0nrt_Pu8

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I would even reccommend just installing the dev preview of el Capitan now, since it is pretty stable, but Apple has 100% blocked Java 6 SE from running on it, and I am kind of surprised how many big huge programs (cyber duck, mine craft) still rely on that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    what have we decided witness me is for

any post that is self destructive

speaking of

it's 5 am here and i ahvent gone to bed

my sleep schedule is fucked

should i just skip sleep now and try to go to bed at 9 pm or something?

CHAT STRAW POLL

honestly I loved Fury Road but have no idea how the fuck to even begin using any of those reaction buttons

honestly I loved Fury Road but have no idea how the fuck to even begin using any of those reaction buttons

I just used it perfectly. 5 stars.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I got my first shiny

and it was for the post where I confessed to murdering a firefly

negative association go

Elki is witnessing himself.

I got my first shiny

and it was for the post where I confessed to murdering a firefly

negative association go

Or the user was recognizing the firefly shines a light as it flies.

Test inconclusive.

This discussion has been closed.