As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    My problem with Far Cry is much the same as my problem with Monster Hunter

I don't want to kill rhinos, or the fantastical equivalent

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

:eh:
    How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Oh so you guys are actually using exploding arrows to kill rhinos in FC4, disregard my complaint.

I thought you were using actual normal arrows and I was just like "Yeah... no. You would just die and the rhino would be annoyed".

We were mostly talking about normal arrows.

I made one post about exploding arrows, but all the rest of the discussion was about normal arrows.

I see.

Doesn't strike me as realistic but I'm basing that on assumption. Maybe people did actually successfully hunt rhinos with bows. Their hide is just ridiculously thick.

I'm talking real life of course, never played FC.

I don't disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually impossible for humans to penetrate their hide with arrows, but I don't actually know anything about the subject.

Far Cry is unrealistic in a lot of ways, though, not least of which is the hyper-aggression of predator animals in the games.

vRyue2p.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chapter 15 in Wolfenstein: TNO is probably the most in-character furious I've ever been in a video game.

nibXTE7.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

I've made a similar observation in the past about the older one omb Raider games where any pretense that Lara is an academic is absurd.

She finds what are the anthropological, archeological or zoological finds of the century and then inevitably destroys them in pursuit of some specific trinket.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

There's one mission where you have to hunt a rare fish with explosives. I guess I'd definitely file that one in the not for you category.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I'm definitely in this for the most dangerous game.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos

Humans have an agency that animals don't. I am (presumably) shooting "bad guys", or at least "people who have chosen to use violence to express points of view my character disagrees with".

I would feel super sketchy about hunting civilians to upgrade my equipment as well. More so than I do about the animals that, I should remind you, I am actually killing in Far Cry, despite my feelings.

vRyue2p.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

I will add, though, that this is not an issue I have done any particular soul-searching about. I have not measured my emotional reaction for consistency with, say, the fact that I'm fine killing animals in real life for the purpose of food and clothing. Although at least in that case, I am not killing them myself, so it is less squicky.

vRyue2p.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Yeah, this is why I don't play them. My brother was telling me about FC3 and how much he enjoyed it and then he kind of trailed off and said "Uhm, you wouldn't like it though."

cB557 wrote: »

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I will also add that a major part of the squickiness in Far Cry is how crassly it's handled. There are actual missions where a "fashion designer" (I use the term loosely) sends you to kill one-of-a-kind versions of the usual creatures for the purposes of making the final upgrades to your equipment.

Equipment upgrades, by the way, are things like "a bigger loot bag", "a bigger wallet", and "more ammo". It's all just very....crass is really the best term for it.

vRyue2p.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Yeah, this is why I don't play them. My brother was telling me about FC3 and how much he enjoyed it and then he kind of trailed off and said "Uhm, you wouldn't like it though."

You can also shoot the locks off cages, freeing them to slaughter their captors. So there's that.

nibXTE7.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Humans > rhinos

Humans have an agency that animals don't. I am (presumably) shooting "bad guys", or at least "people who have chosen to use violence to express points of view my character disagrees with".

I would feel super sketchy about hunting civilians to upgrade my equipment as well. More so than I do about the animals that, I should remind you, I am actually killing in Far Cry, despite my feelings.

Hey the game said those hundreds of people minding their own business in their caves in Skyrim were totally bandits

the... the game said so

(I have murdered so many people for equipment upgrades. And not even equipment upgrades. I have put arrows in countless heads for a couple gold pieces and a broom for my broom/murder shack in the swamp)

HappylilElf on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    15 hours from the time it left its charger, my apple watch has died. Well, technically it's in lower power watch only Mode but that is pretty useless.

Silently sniping the alarm boxes then putting a round through the lock on a tiger cage in FC3 never got old.

nibXTE7.png
    15 hours from the time it left its charger, my apple watch has died. Well, technically it's in lower power watch only Mode but that is pretty useless.

you heard it skfm hates the apple watch that's it, apple pack it in you're done here

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i will murder literally anyone for a daedric artifact

you want me to eat someone for a shitty ring

i've already started

I mean, there's also no denying the INTENSELY strong "American stumbles upon a war-torn island and ends up being the SAVIOR of the natives" narrative.

Far Cry 3 was the most egregious for this (I haven't played 1 & 2). You play someone who is essentially a white, rich, frat guy daredevil, with no military training whatsoever (at least that I can recall), and yet somehow you become the saving grace of the native people, who basically induct you into their society and call you a hero. It was really noticeable, and pretty cringey, to be honest.

At least in FC4 you are the son of the man who founded and led the rebel faction. You're still very American, and I'm not sure there's a justification for how you are able to know everything from weapon handling to skinning animals to reprogramming radio towers to broadcast the rebels' message instead of the antagonist's. It's miles better than FC3, though.

vRyue2p.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya @Apothe0sis

as usual

comments are pretty on point.

Singer is, if nothing else, a consistent shining example of why academic freedom is important.

@MrMister
    It feels strange to want to read and respond positively to comments on the internet.

I went and read the Barnes article as recommended and found no obvious link beyond the very general "disability is discussed".
    I'm v opposed to shit that Tim Hunt said on a scientific basis because as a scientist he should present evidence for his claims other than the experiential. That being said, the attack on philosophers of late for doing philosophy is the dumbest goddamn shit and highlights why tenure is really damn important.

Read a good article by an anonymous author who was identified only as an adjunct professor at a large U.S. university (adjunct means no tenure for those not up on academia employment). He said that all his lectures are now prepared for the current environment where offending a student risks dismissal. This is a thing he agonizes over and loses sleep over because he needs his job. He also said other adjuncts he knows have the same fears.

Some people will find that great, as of course being offended is amongst the worst possible things. But consider that the line between being offended and being challenged is razor thin, varies from student to student, and for some students anything that challenges them is perceived as offensive. It is of course your right to take to the internet and attempt to get a mob going, which can cause not only dismissal of an unprotected professor but unemployability if a large enough stink is made.

And of course this offended student can be anyone. It needn't be a black, gay, or trans student. It can be a religious student (of any religion) a conservative student etc. None of these viewpoints can be safely challenged by an unprotected professor. It only takes one student to be super offended, take to the internet and get a dogpile going, and the university will drop you on your ass because you're an adjunct and they hired you into that position because you are pretty expendable.

So yes, tenure is super fucking important because we are quickly reaching the point where only tenured professors can say things that challenge students.

I think I read the same article. Was it on Vox?

The one I read went to great lengths to pin the blame on oversensitive students, even though it was obvious from the text that the crux of the issue is that adjunct professors are expendable.

It was on Vox: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

I want to point out that "clearly the answer is that someone should spend more on all of us; see, we have no competing interests whatsoever" is facile, bullshit, and not prone to a glorious history of political success in the neoliberal era. Rather, the budget is just cut, and then it's up to the vigorous exercise of faculty democracy and administration maneuvers to distribute the short straw and lend a democratic veneer to the proceedings. At that point the pamphlets admonishing you to stand with the faculty against Scott Walker are a very poor sort of severance pay.

I actually think Singer is pretty safe; his political credentials are too well-entrenched, he has too many of the wrong pre-existing enemies (pro-lifers), and he's not an attractive target for opportunists. There's nothing you can say about purging disabled infants that can possibly be said louder than the conservative pro-lifer can say it, and if you ally with them then it is your respectability that is on thin ice. Barnes may have the "clearly our mutual enemy is Privilege; see, we have no competing interests whatsoever" treatment in her future.

aRkpc.gif

Humans > rhinos

Hey the game said those hundreds of people minding their own business in their caves in Skyrim were totally bandits

the... the game said so

(I have murdered so many people for equipment upgrades. And not even equipment upgrades. I have put arrows in countless heads for a couple gold pieces and a broom for my broom/murder shack in the swamp)

I dunno, I pretty much just believe what the game is telling me about those kinds of people. Which is partly why games that subvert that narrative, like Shadow of the Colossus, are so effective.

If I hold my gun up to someone and my sights turn red instead of green or whatever, I'm pretty comfortable shooting them.

vRyue2p.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    I will add, though, that this is not an issue I have done any particular soul-searching about. I have not measured my emotional reaction for consistency with, say, the fact that I'm fine killing animals in real life for the purpose of food and clothing. Although at least in that case, I am not killing them myself, so it is less squicky.

Yeah, ah, unless you're some vegan extremist, it's bullshit. Literally jerking off to killing Rhinos in Far Cry 4 every day for the rest of life, while super creepy, would still do less harm to animals than having a single cheeseburger one time ever.

Honestly, nothing that happens within any singe player video game ever has any moral content. Fictional things aren't real.

Elendil wrote: »

i've already started

When the priest was removing a curse plaguing a nearby town, did you stab him in the back for his Deadric staff?

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The protagonist is always going to wind up being the baddest dude who saves the day. i like games where I kick ass and bring down the bad guys

Deebaser on

i've already started

I am always sure to sacrifice that helpful guy in the first village that I always steal my first shitty bow from to Boethiah in order to get that shitty item that I will never end up using

to be fair this is mostly because obtaining all of the Daedric artifact's and then dumping them into a safe in my cellar for being shit amuses me

Especially Molag Bal's mace and Mehrune's dagger thing

suck it you daedric assholes your precious havoc wreaking trinkets are going in the basement with all the other disappointments like those kids I adopted

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    cat has claimed my lap. stuck in chair. someone bring me food before I starve.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Silently sniping the alarm boxes then putting a round through the lock on a tiger cage in FC3 never got old.

I pretty much love liberating outposts. It is my single favorite thing in the game.

And in FC4 they added a mode where you can just do it over and over. I'm sure I'll be spending some time doing that once I beat the game.

vRyue2p.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I pay for water service, my police, fire, and ambulance service, my local schools, social security and medicare, medicaid, the US military, etc etc

all of these are social services provide by my government (which I own and pay for) for the benefit of myself and my fellow citizens

much of this would even be considered "socialism"

none of it is "free"

to boil it down it "people like free stuff" tells me that you either don't respect the opinions being written about in this conversation or you are uninterested in joining the conversation in a serious manner and are having a laff

r u avin a laff m8?

@AManFromEarth i wuz havin a giggle m8

i've already started

When the priest was removing a curse plaguing a nearby town, did you stab him in the back for his Deadric staff?
    yes

cB557 wrote: »

Humans > rhinos
    I mean

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I don't like killing animals in games in general, even the aggressive ones. I mean, I'll do it but it's not enjoyable. If a game is entirely about that it probably won't be my thing.

One of the things that turned me off of GW2 was the fact that there were hostile mama bears who would attack you and they had adorable little bear cubs with them who would also aggro on you. That's not fun. It's like kick-a-puppy online.

Then there was Nagrand in WoW. God, the dying sounds of the many, many animals that the quests sent you after started to weigh on me after a while.

I'm sure if a video game sent me out to murder hobos or something I would probably just flat out turn the game off. But the human enemies are inevitably not innocent nor are they typically just minding their own business. And of course this is the reason I essentially never play evil characters in the various RPGs that give that option. Whenever I try I typically find my interest in the game rapidly decline (a noteworthy exception is the dark side Consular storyline in SWTOR, here the "evil" path primarily involves making decisions and killing people in a thoroughly pragmatic militaristic way which wouldn't even be considered evil in any other game, and the "good" path revolves around being a derpy jesus figure and redeeming people with your carebear stare powered by your own life force and other silliness).

Also I have the (controversial) opinion that the survival of an entire species outweighs the enrichment of some number of humans. I say "enrichment" rather than survival because typically when it comes to endangered species we aren't talking about human survival, we're talking about building a strip mall or making fake medicine for Chinese people and I frankly give zero fucks about those things and place negative value on them.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Humans > rhinos

this seems false

8528n0uqi0l2.jpg

httbuo9e0bw2.jpg

I would probably kill an exotic animal if I could use its hide to craft a GTX 960

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man my twitter is blowin up cause the City of Azusa California denied a permit for an arcade being opened.

The City's reasons are hilariously incompetent.

Yeah, ah, unless you're some vegan extremist, it's bullshit. Literally jerking off to killing Rhinos in Far Cry 4 every day for the rest of life, while super creepy, would still do less harm to animals than having a single cheeseburger one time ever.

Honestly, nothing that happens within any singe player video game ever has any moral content. Fictional things aren't real.

I think considerations of morality and considerations of tone are not necessarily equivalent. I certainly don't find it morally wrong to do anything to any character in any video game. However, that doesn't mean I can't be reasonably disturbed by the packaging and presentation of such content.

vRyue2p.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I would probably kill an exotic animal if I could use its hide to craft a GTX 960

Id strangle a baby panda on twitch for $20,000

i've already started

I am always sure to sacrifice that helpful guy in the first village that I always steal my first shitty bow from to Boethiah in order to get that shitty item that I will never end up using

to be fair this is mostly because obtaining all of the Daedric artifact's and then dumping them into a safe in my cellar for being shit amuses me

suck it you daedric assholes your precious havoc wreaking trinkets are going in the basement with all the other disappointments like those kids I adopted
    the dude i always sacrificed to boethiah was this guy in morthal who picks a fight with you and then after you beat the shit out him, he's inexplicably your buddy

no, no, we cool now bro

now just stand on that spiky platform on this mountaintop full of cultists

i need you to do me a solid

I think considerations of morality and considerations of tone are not necessarily equivalent. I certainly don't find it morally wrong to do anything to any character in any video game. However, that doesn't mean I can't be reasonably disturbed by the packaging and presentation of such content.

^

This.

I have no moral objection to killing rhinos in a video game.

I have enormous moral objections to killing actual rhinos in reality.

But that doesn't mean killing rhinos in a video game is enjoyable. For me it likely isn't.

Deebaser wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

Id strangle a baby panda on twitch for $20,000

20k? Yep.

the internet blowback would be pretty harsh though. 4chan all in your shit, local SWAT team has your address memorized...

i've already started

You should be able to give them to your orphans

and for the record boethiah's artifact is one of the only ones that isn't shitty

This discussion has been closed.