As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    My problem with Far Cry is much the same as my problem with Monster Hunter

I don't want to kill rhinos, or the fantastical equivalent

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

:eh:
    How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I don't like killing animals in games in general, even the aggressive ones. I mean, I'll do it but it's not enjoyable. If a game is entirely about that it probably won't be my thing.

One of the things that turned me off of GW2 was the fact that there were hostile mama bears who would attack you and they had adorable little bear cubs with them who would also aggro on you. That's not fun. It's like kick-a-puppy online.

Then there was Nagrand in WoW. God, the dying sounds of the many, many animals that the quests sent you after started to weigh on me after a while.

I'm sure if a video game sent me out to murder hobos or something I would probably just flat out turn the game off. But the human enemies are inevitably not innocent nor are they typically just minding their own business. And of course this is the reason I essentially never play evil characters in the various RPGs that give that option. Whenever I try I typically find my interest in the game rapidly decline (a noteworthy exception is the dark side Consular storyline in SWTOR, here the "evil" path primarily involves making decisions and killing people in a thoroughly pragmatic militaristic way which wouldn't even be considered evil in any other game, and the "good" path revolves around being a derpy jesus figure and redeeming people with your carebear stare powered by your own life force and other silliness).

Also I have the (controversial) opinion that the survival of an entire species outweighs the enrichment of some number of humans. I say "enrichment" rather than survival because typically when it comes to endangered species we aren't talking about human survival, we're talking about building a strip mall or making fake medicine for Chinese people and I frankly give zero fucks about those things and place negative value on them.

I felt guilty about killing the bighorn I stumbled across and pissed off last night because I then noticed a calf not far away and I'd just killed it's parent

but then I noticed it was worth 50xp

I uh, I have a lot of bighorn steaks in my gas station safe now

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I mean, there's also no denying the INTENSELY strong "American stumbles upon a war-torn island and ends up being the SAVIOR of the natives" narrative.

Far Cry 3 was the most egregious for this (I haven't played 1 & 2). You play someone who is essentially a white, rich, frat guy daredevil, with no military training whatsoever (at least that I can recall), and yet somehow you become the saving grace of the native people, who basically induct you into their society and call you a hero. It was really noticeable, and pretty cringey, to be honest.

At least in FC4 you are the son of the man who founded and led the rebel faction. You're still very American, and I'm not sure there's a justification for how you are able to know everything from weapon handling to skinning animals to reprogramming radio towers to broadcast the rebels' message instead of the antagonist's. It's miles better than FC3, though.

The only difference between Ajay Ghale and Jason Brody is Ajay holds a bow and arrow with a brown hand and Jason holds a bow and arrow with a white hand. They're both fish out of water, a thousand miles away from America, and both have weak personalities as they attain godlike status with the locals by performing impossible feats.

One is not squickier than the other. They are of equal squick.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Every adjunct professor should quit their job immediately.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    and for the record boethiah's artifact is one of the only ones that isn't shitty

I used the sun sword thing the whole game because the quest to get it was so fun I was like "OK, this dude is now a convert, fuck the other daedra"

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I don't like killing animals in games in general, even the aggressive ones. I mean, I'll do it but it's not enjoyable. If a game is entirely about that it probably won't be my thing.

One of the things that turned me off of GW2 was the fact that there were hostile mama bears who would attack you and they had adorable little bear cubs with them who would also aggro on you. That's not fun. It's like kick-a-puppy online.

Then there was Nagrand in WoW. God, the dying sounds of the many, many animals that the quests sent you after started to weigh on me after a while.

I'm sure if a video game sent me out to murder hobos or something I would probably just flat out turn the game off. But the human enemies are inevitably not innocent nor are they typically just minding their own business. And of course this is the reason I essentially never play evil characters in the various RPGs that give that option. Whenever I try I typically find my interest in the game rapidly decline (a noteworthy exception is the dark side Consular storyline in SWTOR, here the "evil" path primarily involves making decisions and killing people in a thoroughly pragmatic militaristic way which wouldn't even be considered evil in any other game, and the "good" path revolves around being a derpy jesus figure and redeeming people with your carebear stare powered by your own life force and other silliness).

Also I have the (controversial) opinion that the survival of an entire species outweighs the enrichment of some number of humans. I say "enrichment" rather than survival because typically when it comes to endangered species we aren't talking about human survival, we're talking about building a strip mall or making fake medicine for Chinese people and I frankly give zero fucks about those things and place negative value on them.

We are as one in this.

This is also a major complaint I had with Dragon Age Inquistion.

I spent SOOOOOOOO long killing dogs, wolves and bears. It was just utterly endless. More like: Dragon Age: Fuck the Animalsition.

Of the things I want in a video game, killing lots of dogs is quite low.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @Deebaser apparently I was wrong about my vacation pay, so no worries about time off/money.

Yeah, this is why I don't play them. My brother was telling me about FC3 and how much he enjoyed it and then he kind of trailed off and said "Uhm, you wouldn't like it though."

I mean, there's also no denying the INTENSELY strong "American stumbles upon a war-torn island and ends up being the SAVIOR of the natives" narrative.

Far Cry 3 was the most egregious for this (I haven't played 1 & 2). You play someone who is essentially a white, rich, frat guy daredevil, with no military training whatsoever (at least that I can recall), and yet somehow you become the saving grace of the native people, who basically induct you into their society and call you a hero.

ehhhhhh
    That depends on which ending you choose.....

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    To be clear, I have never purposefully killed an animal with the cognitive ability more than a spider in real life. I have also never fired a gun in my life.

Comparing in-game morality or enjoyment to real life morality or enjoyment is occasionally revealing, but usually ridiculous, IMO.

vRyue2p.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    i will murder literally anyone for a daedric artifact

you want me to eat someone for a shitty ring

i've already started

I am always sure to sacrifice that helpful guy in the first village that I always steal my first shitty bow from to Boethiah in order to get that shitty item that I will never end up using

to be fair this is mostly because obtaining all of the Daedric artifact's and then dumping them into a safe in my cellar for being shit amuses me

Especially Molag Bal's mace and Mehrune's dagger thing

suck it you daedric assholes your precious havoc wreaking trinkets are going in the basement with all the other disappointments like those kids I adopted

You should be able to give them to your orphans
    the orphan my dark brotherhood character adopted was the one who cheered the hardest when i shanked the schoolmarm

then i got a cannibal for my housecarl

we are basically the addams family

Humans > rhinos
    I mean

We are as one in this.

I spent SOOOOOOOO long killing dogs, wolves and bears. It was just utterly endless. More like: Dragon Age: Fuck the Animalsition.

I didn't like killing bears in DA:I

Those bears messed up so many annoying roaming red templars/venatori

I just wanted to hi5 those bears but they were not receptive to that idea

To be clear, I have never purposefully killed an animal with the cognitive ability more than a spider in real life. I have also never fired a gun in my life.

Comparing in-game morality or enjoyment to real life morality or enjoyment is occasionally revealing, but usually ridiculous, IMO.

whereas I was just thinking the other day that it's been a while since I killed anything tasty, and set about trying to remedy that.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Far Cry 3 was the most egregious for this (I haven't played 1 & 2). You play someone who is essentially a white, rich, frat guy daredevil, with no military training whatsoever (at least that I can recall), and yet somehow you become the saving grace of the native people, who basically induct you into their society and call you a hero. It was really noticeable, and pretty cringey, to be honest.

At least in FC4 you are the son of the man who founded and led the rebel faction. You're still very American, and I'm not sure there's a justification for how you are able to know everything from weapon handling to skinning animals to reprogramming radio towers to broadcast the rebels' message instead of the antagonist's. It's miles better than FC3, though.

The only difference between Ajay Ghale and Jason Brody is Ajay holds a bow and arrow with a brown hand and Jason holds a bow and arrow with a white hand. They're both fish out of water, a thousand miles away from America, and both have weak personalities as they attain godlike status with the locals by performing impossible feats.

Neither is squick. The opening/tutorial of FC3 was baller as fuck and a lot better than 4 IMO

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

i've already started

I am always sure to sacrifice that helpful guy in the first village that I always steal my first shitty bow from to Boethiah in order to get that shitty item that I will never end up using

to be fair this is mostly because obtaining all of the Daedric artifact's and then dumping them into a safe in my cellar for being shit amuses me

suck it you daedric assholes your precious havoc wreaking trinkets are going in the basement with all the other disappointments like those kids I adopted

whaaaat

fargoth? You sacrifice fargoth? but he is a companion trainer. They are like.... super useful.

Wait, is it fargoth or is that the friggin bosmer from Morrowind?

Anyway, don't sacrifice that guy, make him train you in archery, then take all his money back because he is your companion.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Humans > rhinos
    I mean

We are as one in this.

Yeah that definitely was not a highlight of the game for me.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Wait, Molag Bal's mace is shitty? I used it forever in Skyrim before I found another weapon I could replace it with. Not even the magic ability, just damage-wise.

vRyue2p.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I will kill drowners forever

I do not feel bad about killing drowners

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    @Deebaser apparently I was wrong about my vacation pay, so no worries about time off/money.

Ssssiiiiicccccckkkkkkkk.

When is babby due? Will we be paternity bros?

edited June 2015
    spool32 wrote: »
    and for the record boethiah's artifact is one of the only ones that isn't shitty

I used the sun sword thing the whole game because the quest to get it was so fun I was like "OK, this dude is now a convert, fuck the other daedra"
    dawnbreaker is also ballertown

that, the ebony mail, spellbreaker, and mehrune's razor is basically the entire list of decent daedric shit

Elendil on
    Wait, Molag Bal's mace is shitty? I used it forever in Skyrim before I found another weapon I could replace it with. Not even the magic ability, just damage-wise.

No no, it's one of the only good ones. It's not a personal favorite of mine but it has a useful, powerful enchantment.

Speaking of Witcher 3 the Ursine set looks SO rad.

Gryphon set is ok

Feline set is scrub tier.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I will also throw farts in jars at helicopters all day long with no regard for the lives of the LEOs that operate said helicopters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtrNiJgfGq0

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I would probably kill an exotic animal if I could use its hide to craft a GTX 960

Id strangle a baby panda on twitch for $20,000

20k? Yep.

the internet blowback would be pretty harsh though. 4chan all in your shit, local SWAT team has your address memorized...

dunno if i would for 20k

i mean

PETA might literally bomb your house for that shit

Yeah, this is why I don't play them. My brother was telling me about FC3 and how much he enjoyed it and then he kind of trailed off and said "Uhm, you wouldn't like it though."

Far Cry 3 was the most egregious for this (I haven't played 1 & 2). You play someone who is essentially a white, rich, frat guy daredevil, with no military training whatsoever (at least that I can recall), and yet somehow you become the saving grace of the native people, who basically induct you into their society and call you a hero.

ehhhhhh

In 3? Sure, although I thought those options were really poorly done and presented, because one is the obvious choice, and the other is completely fucking insane.

But even before the ending, you were basically being worshipped by these people.

vRyue2p.png
    Also, the mask quest in skyrim is inspired for its obtuse nature. Loved how there was no indication of where or how to do it unless you explored a lot and followed clues.

doesn't benefit from smithing perks; is shit-tier

Ssssiiiiicccccckkkkkkkk.

When is babby due? Will we be paternity bros?

Week after next, one doctor says the 7th the other says the 10th.

i've already started

whaaaat

fargoth? You sacrifice fargoth? but he is a companion trainer. They are like.... super useful.

Anyway, don't sacrifice that guy, make him train you in archery, then take all his money back because he is your companion.

Faendal is his name, the Bosmer archery trainer companion in Riverwood. He can also become a steward. Really he is a very poor candidate for sacrificing to Boethia.

If you're collecting all the daedric artifacts the correct sequence is to get Namira's Ring through the cannibal quest and then sacrifice the cannibal freak Namira-worshiping psycho companion to Boethia.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I wish I remembered to bring my nyquil

most of everything in skyrim is outclassed by stuff you craft.

Neco wrote: »
    I wish I remembered to bring my nyquil

Where you at dahl?

i've already started

whaaaat

Fargoth is either Morrowind or there is a Make Skyrim Look as Shitty as Morrowind mod out there

But yeah that guy in the first village who is creepin' on some lady there

take his training, take my money back, take his bow then come back much later and take him to be shanked

ehhhhhh

In 3? Sure, although I thought those options were really poorly done and presented, because one is the obvious choice, and the other is completely fucking insane.

But even before the ending, you were basically being worshipped by these people.

I thought the whole thing was a setup. Like...
    I thought that Jason thought he was being worshipped, but that the natives were totally using him and otherwise barely tolerating him being around.

Apart from the one chick, of course, who also just wanted something out of him for her own personal reasons.

i've already started

whaaaat

Faendal is his name, the Bosmer archery trainer companion in Riverwood. He can also become a steward. Really he is a very poor candidate for sacrificing to Boethia.

If you're collecting all the daedric artifacts the correct sequence is to get Namira's Ring through the cannibal quest and then sacrifice the cannibal freak Namira-worshiping psycho companion to Boethia.
    um why would i do that to my housecarl

I strongly disagree. Being the son of the former leader in a society that clearly puts a lot of stock in tradition means it makes WAY more sense that you would become a hero figure than some trust fund baby who got kidnapped while skydiving. Honestly, I'm not even talking about skin color here.

Don't get me wrong, it is still squicky. But FC3 was way squickier, ESPECIALLY the ending, although granted I am only partway through FC4 so I have no idea if the ending is as FUCKING INSANE as FC3's.

vRyue2p.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would need much more than $20,000 to kill a panda bear or other intelligent mammal. If maybe consider it for $100k. Probably not.

Oh and for some reason nothing of what I said earlier about being a nice person in video games applies to the Saints Row games.

I love Saints Row and will mow down 200 pedestrians with a garbage truck and giggle the whole time.

I don't know why.

actually, in retrospect, now that i've pretty much made a firm decision to never touch crafting again, the mace is probably a very solid weapon

to be fair that's on a scale of "I have an enchanted legendary dragon bone bow using dragon bone arrows" which is a pretty tough scale to compete on

except maybe Sheogorath's staff but that's more for the laughs

i've already started

whaaaat

um why would i do that to my housecarl

She isn't a housecarl?

She's a cannibal?

There is an amusing circularity to sacrificing one daedra worshipper to another daedra for loot?

ehhhhhh

I thought the whole thing was a setup. Like...
    I thought that Jason thought he was being worshipped, but that the natives were totally using him and otherwise barely tolerating him being around.

Apart from the one chick, of course, who also just wanted something out of him for her own personal reasons.

Hmm. It is possible I am misremembering, but I got a much different vibe from the game. I mean...
    In the fucking insane ending, you are basically hailed as some sort of incarnation of something-or-other, and the crazylady wants your seed to produce superhero offspring. Clearly SOMETHING about you is valued as being heroic.

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.