As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    How about if you could hit a button and never have this "what if you hit a button" bit come up again

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    What if there was a button that you pressed and it eliminated all New Yorkers

zero financial reward, though

I will refer you to the video I posted.

vRyue2p.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Winky wrote: »
    How about if you could hit a button and it made everyone happy, or gave everyone an icecream cone?

Why you guys always gotta have buttons that kill something?

What if you could hit a button and make hypothetical questions go away?

-edit-

damnit, Simon

Regina Fong on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    What if you could hit a button and all hypothetical questions became real-life scenarios?

vRyue2p.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    How about if you could hit a button and it made everyone happy, or gave everyone an icecream cone?

-edit-

damnit, Simon

what if you could hit a button and always win the race to the joke

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    How about if you could hit a button and never have this "what if you hit a button" bit come up again
    I would hit the button and then pioneer the brave new field of "what if you pulled this lever" questions

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    what if every time you hit the button a republican primary candidate said something incredibly callous and/or stupid?

How would you know if it was actually working?

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

-edit-

damnit, Simon

Czar'd!

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    what if every time you hit the button a republican primary candidate said something incredibly callous and/or stupid?

How would you know if it was actually working?

Does this button happen to be in a voting booth?

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

-edit-

damnit, Simon

I would always press it so I could tell other people they are Czar'd.

-edit-

damnit, Simon

Czar'd!

-edit-

damnit, Simon

Czar'd!

It's too late. Czar'd is very wildfire.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    What if every time you pressed the button, a random species of animal (but not humans, cats or dogs) was exterminated and you got $20,000.

$20k, really?

Don't be stingy SKFM.

It's what Deebs said he'd strangle a panda for.

799646GenkiSERCtargetsrmaunethical.png

-edit-

damnit, Simon

It's not much of a question if the answer is an obvious automatic "yes" for everyone.

-edit-

damnit, Simon

Czar'd!

It's too late. Czar'd is very wildfire.

It isn't so much "wildfire" as you are a serial arsonist

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    what if every time you pressed the button it discharged the electromagnetic buildup averting a worldwide catastrophe?

I gotta say, I got teased a lot for my name when I was a kid.

But at least I wasn't a kid while the president's dog had my name.

vRyue2p.png
    Is that button thing still going on at reddit?

vRyue2p.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    On the one hand, it's really nice to call a person I like because I get to hear their delightful voice.

On the other hand, I don't know if it's just that cell phones are shittier about this but I swear to cripes that we step all over each other a lot of times and it's just nearly as fun as a conversation in person.

Texting isn't either, but it has different things that make it more convenient! I think I prefer it for chatting.

Still... it's a really delightful voice.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

Is your name actually Bo or is it Beau?

Or is it neither and I am confused once again

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ugh I pissed off two girls tonight.

steam_sig.png
    I'm starting to get pretty into this Macross series

But I'm kind of wondering at this point if maybe this Minmei chick secretly just really wants the main character to die

Bo.

I mean, my legal name is something different, but I've been called Bo since I can remember.

vRyue2p.png
    What if everytime you pressed the button one random disease was cured and one random nuclear warhead exploded.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    My problem with Far Cry is much the same as my problem with Monster Hunter

I don't want to kill rhinos, or the fantastical equivalent

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

:eh:
    How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I don't like killing animals in games in general, even the aggressive ones. I mean, I'll do it but it's not enjoyable. If a game is entirely about that it probably won't be my thing.

One of the things that turned me off of GW2 was the fact that there were hostile mama bears who would attack you and they had adorable little bear cubs with them who would also aggro on you. That's not fun. It's like kick-a-puppy online.

Then there was Nagrand in WoW. God, the dying sounds of the many, many animals that the quests sent you after started to weigh on me after a while.

I'm sure if a video game sent me out to murder hobos or something I would probably just flat out turn the game off. But the human enemies are inevitably not innocent nor are they typically just minding their own business. And of course this is the reason I essentially never play evil characters in the various RPGs that give that option. Whenever I try I typically find my interest in the game rapidly decline (a noteworthy exception is the dark side Consular storyline in SWTOR, here the "evil" path primarily involves making decisions and killing people in a thoroughly pragmatic militaristic way which wouldn't even be considered evil in any other game, and the "good" path revolves around being a derpy jesus figure and redeeming people with your carebear stare powered by your own life force and other silliness).

Also I have the (controversial) opinion that the survival of an entire species outweighs the enrichment of some number of humans. I say "enrichment" rather than survival because typically when it comes to endangered species we aren't talking about human survival, we're talking about building a strip mall or making fake medicine for Chinese people and I frankly give zero fucks about those things and place negative value on them.

We are as one in this.

This is also a major complaint I had with Dragon Age Inquistion.

I spent SOOOOOOOO long killing dogs, wolves and bears. It was just utterly endless. More like: Dragon Age: Fuck the Animalsition.

Of the things I want in a video game, killing lots of dogs is quite low.

And the Inquisitor's battle barks were in full effect as you were bravely stabbing rams, or whatever.

Inquisitor hates rabbits like woah.

So gleeful whenever I accidentally nailed one.

For the Inquisition!

I know it's a video game and you can get hung up on those things if you allow yourself to, but man that was ridiculous. And a bit funny.

smCQ5WE.jpg

2 girls 1 regret

What if everytime you pressed the button one random disease was cured and one random nuclear warhead exploded.

The disease in this case is humanity?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Man I forgot how fucking dumb so much of the plot in Far Cry 3 was.

Like, it's one of my favorite games based solely on the gameplay and some of the characters, but that whole narrative was so fucking stupid.

It saved by outpost captures being one of the greatest things in modern video games.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

Neither one lives while the other survives

This one is actually very easy.

There are a huge ungodly number of diseases and many of them are quite minor, already curable, treatable, or cures or treatments will be developed.

Compare to the likelihood of harm caused by any nuke exploding.

You'd have to be completely psychotic to press the button, or incredibly dumb.

The disease in this case is humanity?

This is such an Elendil post to agree to

Elki wrote: »
    Man I forgot how fucking dumb so much of the plot in Far Cry 3 was.

Like, it's one of my favorite games based solely on the gameplay and some of the characters, but that whole narrative was so fucking stupid.

It saved by outpost captures being one of the greatest things in modern video games.

God they're so much fun.

Like sometimes I'll be all stealthy and kill everyone without anybody ever knowing a thing.

And sometimes I'll sit on a cliff and snipe everybody and be all PULL THE ALARM CALL YOUR REINFORCEMENTS THEY WILL ALL DIE.

vRyue2p.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    This latest Extra Credits series on the Social Learning Curve is both fascinating and depressing, as I realize that I as a player do none of the things they talk about and am forced to conclude I'm super-antisocial when gaming. For example, in the newest video, they explicitly state that their theoretical player has reached the point where "she's begun to spam party invites to other players around her level to get help when she hits a big challenge."

I could not even have conceived of doing this, it sounds incredibly rude to me. What kind of asshole spams party invites to strangers? They don't know you, why do they give a shit what you're having trouble with, stop being annoying to them.

However, then I pause, and think, wait; is this what you're supposed to do? Is it normal behavior? Is my attitude the anomaly, because generally I find these cats pretty spot-on in their analysis of game design.

Hrm.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Eh, spamming party invites sounded pretty rude to me as well.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    what if every time you pressed the button

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I fucked up because I caught feels when the girl I'll never have sex with sent pictures of her vagina to the girl I am having sex with.

Ruined both. bleh.

*sips wine in a strange place*

steam_sig.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    What if when you press the button

Bo.

I mean, my legal name is something different, but I've been called Bo since I can remember.

selecta!

?

Imagine there are infinite buttons and infinite fingers with which to press them

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Should also mention that the "rural" mindset which preaches pretty hard for the extirpation of all predators has proven repeatedly to be ecologically unsound and ultimately detrimental to humans.

So suck it, rural people. You're wrong about wolves, wrong about bears, wrong about coyotes, and wrong about foxes. You have a great track record of not knowing dick or squat about what actually happens when you eradicate species.

Eh. In modern times, post rabies vaccines, post-modern civilization, post-modern wildlife science, post-compensation funds for wolf attacks on your very livelihood, sure, but if you're unlucky, a predator will start eating you while you're still alive and screaming, so the calculus has radically changed over time.

This discussion has been closed.