As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I fucked up because I caught feels when the girl I'll never have sex with sent pictures of her vagina to the girl I am having sex with.

Ruined both. bleh.

*sips wine in a strange place*

You are to sex problems what SKFM is to money problems.

I ate an engineer
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    This latest Extra Credits series on the Social Learning Curve is both fascinating and depressing, as I realize that I as a player do none of the things they talk about and am forced to conclude I'm super-antisocial when gaming. For example, in the newest video, they explicitly state that their theoretical player has reached the point where "she's begun to spam party invites to other players around her level to get help when she hits a big challenge."

I could not even have conceived of doing this, it sounds incredibly rude to me. What kind of asshole spams party invites to strangers? They don't know you, why do they give a shit what you're having trouble with, stop being annoying to them.

However, then I pause, and think, wait; is this what you're supposed to do? Is it normal behavior? Is my attitude the anomaly, because generally I find these cats pretty spot-on in their analysis of game design.

Hrm.

I used to do that in the original guild wars a lot. Had a lot of fun.

Guess I kinda stopped when I got older and played other games. Of course Guild Wars had the benefit that pretty much everyone in the same hub as you had the same quests, so almost everyone had the same goals all the time. In games where everyone could be busy with their own shit it feels a bit more rude to just spam party invites.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Eh, spamming party invites sounded pretty rude to me as well.

Well I guess I know who I'm not inviting to my party...

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    what if every time you pulled my finger

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    Man I forgot how fucking dumb so much of the plot in Far Cry 3 was.

Like, it's one of my favorite games based solely on the gameplay and some of the characters, but that whole narrative was so fucking stupid.

It saved by outpost captures being one of the greatest things in modern video games.

God they're so much fun.

Like sometimes I'll be all stealthy and kill everyone without anybody ever knowing a thing.

And sometimes I'll sit on a cliff and snipe everybody and be all PULL THE ALARM CALL YOUR REINFORCEMENTS THEY WILL ALL DIE.

There are so many things I have yet to try in 4. Next up on the list is the air assault from a buzzard, with explosives.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I fucked up because I caught feels when the girl I'll never have sex with sent pictures of her vagina to the girl I am having sex with.

Ruined both. bleh.

To be clear, what was the motivation behind the vagina pictures?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I gotta say, I got teased a lot for my name when I was a kid.

But at least I wasn't a kid while the president's dog had my name.

Is your name actually Bo or is it Beau?

Or is it neither and I am confused once again

Bo.

I mean, my legal name is something different, but I've been called Bo since I can remember.

selecta!

?

I had to google this reference. No relation.

vRyue2p.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    My problem with Far Cry is much the same as my problem with Monster Hunter

I don't want to kill rhinos, or the fantastical equivalent

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

:eh:
    How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I don't like killing animals in games in general, even the aggressive ones. I mean, I'll do it but it's not enjoyable. If a game is entirely about that it probably won't be my thing.

One of the things that turned me off of GW2 was the fact that there were hostile mama bears who would attack you and they had adorable little bear cubs with them who would also aggro on you. That's not fun. It's like kick-a-puppy online.

Then there was Nagrand in WoW. God, the dying sounds of the many, many animals that the quests sent you after started to weigh on me after a while.

I'm sure if a video game sent me out to murder hobos or something I would probably just flat out turn the game off. But the human enemies are inevitably not innocent nor are they typically just minding their own business. And of course this is the reason I essentially never play evil characters in the various RPGs that give that option. Whenever I try I typically find my interest in the game rapidly decline (a noteworthy exception is the dark side Consular storyline in SWTOR, here the "evil" path primarily involves making decisions and killing people in a thoroughly pragmatic militaristic way which wouldn't even be considered evil in any other game, and the "good" path revolves around being a derpy jesus figure and redeeming people with your carebear stare powered by your own life force and other silliness).

Also I have the (controversial) opinion that the survival of an entire species outweighs the enrichment of some number of humans. I say "enrichment" rather than survival because typically when it comes to endangered species we aren't talking about human survival, we're talking about building a strip mall or making fake medicine for Chinese people and I frankly give zero fucks about those things and place negative value on them.

We are as one in this.

This is also a major complaint I had with Dragon Age Inquistion.

I spent SOOOOOOOO long killing dogs, wolves and bears. It was just utterly endless. More like: Dragon Age: Fuck the Animalsition.

Of the things I want in a video game, killing lots of dogs is quite low.

And the Inquisitor's battle barks were in full effect as you were bravely stabbing rams, or whatever.

Inquisitor hates rabbits like woah.

So gleeful whenever I accidentally nailed one.

For the Inquisition!

I know it's a video game and you can get hung up on those things if you allow yourself to, but man that was ridiculous. And a bit funny.

I found it happened far too often, I am surprised as I thought that play testing would have tuned it down to be a rarer event.

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm starting to get pretty into this Macross series

But I'm kind of wondering at this point if maybe this Minmei chick secretly just really wants the main character to die

Well he is a nerd...

Frosteey on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Eh, spamming party invites sounded pretty rude to me as well.

That's really just one blatant example, but my general attitude in multiplayer games is along the lines of "These people are strangers, I do not know them, they do not know me, so why the fuck would they give a shit about anything I might want to say or ask?"

Though now that I think about it, this same reasoning is typically going through my head when posting on these forums, too, but that rarely stops me. Actually, I apply this logic to a lot of shit in my life.

Guys, I think I just discovered that I'm a misanthrope. :P

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Before she stormed to her room she threw a dagger about how she makes more money than me.

Literally everyone who makes money makes more than me. insult is weak.

steam_sig.png
    it is so weird to me - so many of the people who I told to listen to that said to me "I didn't get it, I didn't know it was George W Bush until you told me".

even my super hard core pol sci pomo rad fem room mate in university couldn't identify that it was W. Despite A) it says it at the start and B) his voice and intonation is very distinctive.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Real talk I just heard.
    Why read Superman comics when you could read about Batman

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Before she stormed to her room she threw a dagger about how she makes more money than me.

This is one of the stranger threads of conversation I've seen here.

Wait, not really, but I feel like... I feel like I've done this one?

I want to know -all- about this shit.

Are you me?

Houn wrote: »
    This latest Extra Credits series on the Social Learning Curve is both fascinating and depressing, as I realize that I as a player do none of the things they talk about and am forced to conclude I'm super-antisocial when gaming. For example, in the newest video, they explicitly state that their theoretical player has reached the point where "she's begun to spam party invites to other players around her level to get help when she hits a big challenge."

I could not even have conceived of doing this, it sounds incredibly rude to me. What kind of asshole spams party invites to strangers? They don't know you, why do they give a shit what you're having trouble with, stop being annoying to them.

However, then I pause, and think, wait; is this what you're supposed to do? Is it normal behavior? Is my attitude the anomaly, because generally I find these cats pretty spot-on in their analysis of game design.

Hrm.

In Destiny, I was in that group of people that hit the level cap early. Whenever I was in the social space, managing inventory and bounties, I would receive tons of party and game invites. Any of those sending invites will often send 5+ invites. I never accept those invites.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Real talk I just heard.
    well, why?

My problem with Far Cry is much the same as my problem with Monster Hunter

I don't want to kill rhinos, or the fantastical equivalent

The Far Cry games I've played (3 and part of 4) are definitely problematic in a lot of ways, and this is one of them. Killing exotic-ish animals for the sole purpose of upgrading your equipment is cringey, for sure.

I enjoy the other gameplay so much, though, that I have been overlooking these sorts of issues.

:eh:
    How many humans have you shot/stabbed/driven over in you video game-playing career?

Humans > rhinos
    I mean
    I'd say killing humans who of their own volition are trying to kill you is less fucked up than you just going out and killing endangered animals who are just minding your business just so you could be killier

Baloney. Rhinos charge in FC4 as soon as you walk up close to them. Sew their hides into wallets and grind their horns into aphrodisiacs.

I don't like killing animals in games in general, even the aggressive ones. I mean, I'll do it but it's not enjoyable. If a game is entirely about that it probably won't be my thing.

One of the things that turned me off of GW2 was the fact that there were hostile mama bears who would attack you and they had adorable little bear cubs with them who would also aggro on you. That's not fun. It's like kick-a-puppy online.

Then there was Nagrand in WoW. God, the dying sounds of the many, many animals that the quests sent you after started to weigh on me after a while.

I'm sure if a video game sent me out to murder hobos or something I would probably just flat out turn the game off. But the human enemies are inevitably not innocent nor are they typically just minding their own business. And of course this is the reason I essentially never play evil characters in the various RPGs that give that option. Whenever I try I typically find my interest in the game rapidly decline (a noteworthy exception is the dark side Consular storyline in SWTOR, here the "evil" path primarily involves making decisions and killing people in a thoroughly pragmatic militaristic way which wouldn't even be considered evil in any other game, and the "good" path revolves around being a derpy jesus figure and redeeming people with your carebear stare powered by your own life force and other silliness).

Also I have the (controversial) opinion that the survival of an entire species outweighs the enrichment of some number of humans. I say "enrichment" rather than survival because typically when it comes to endangered species we aren't talking about human survival, we're talking about building a strip mall or making fake medicine for Chinese people and I frankly give zero fucks about those things and place negative value on them.

We are as one in this.

This is also a major complaint I had with Dragon Age Inquistion.

I spent SOOOOOOOO long killing dogs, wolves and bears. It was just utterly endless. More like: Dragon Age: Fuck the Animalsition.

Of the things I want in a video game, killing lots of dogs is quite low.

And the Inquisitor's battle barks were in full effect as you were bravely stabbing rams, or whatever.

Inquisitor hates rabbits like woah.

So gleeful whenever I accidentally nailed one.

For the Inquisition!

I know it's a video game and you can get hung up on those things if you allow yourself to, but man that was ridiculous. And a bit funny.

I found it happened far too often, I am surprised as I thought that play testing would have tuned it down to be a rarer event.

I can't imagine it not being brought up. I wonder how time consuming it would've been to turn it off for herbivores, at least.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't know about MMOs, but making friends with strangers to play some games is pretty normal in LoL, which seems similar to me.

Ruined both. bleh.

To be clear, what was the motivation behind the vagina pictures?

The girl who is I guess my fuck buddy became attracted to a girl who was my high school crush.

Long story short they are way digging each other and I fell into the background.

steam_sig.png
    If one were to posit that there are infinite universes and that any universe we are capable of imagining does in fact exist in the set of all universes

Then aren't works of fiction all literal windows into other real universes?

FroThulhu wrote: »

This is one of the stranger threads of conversation I've seen here.

Wait, not really, but I feel like... I feel like I've done this one?

I want to know -all- about this shit.

Are you me?

Well I'm black. So. . .

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    If one were to posit that there are infinite universes and that any universe we are capable of imagining does in fact exist in the set of all universes

Well a window would be a direct connection, so no.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Real talk I just heard.
    well, why?

Sometimes, you want to read a story about a flawed and fallible underdog who constantly has to use his ingenuity and skills to fight a battle against a never-ceasing tide of criminals and villains in order to make his parents proud.

And sometimes you want to read about the goddamn Batman.

Not how infinities work, unfortunately.

Simple proof: The set of numbers between 1 and 2 is infinite. However, this set does not contain the number 3.

Likewise, even if the set of universes that exist is infinite, that doesn't mean that all "possible" universes exist.

I ate an engineer
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

No, as they are not made of glass and they do not allow the transmission of photons from one side to the other. They cannot be opened to allow matter to travel freely through. They are in only the most metaphorical sense, windows.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    milski wrote: »

Simple proof: The set of numbers between 1 and 2 is infinite. However, this set does not contain the number 3.

Likewise, even if the set of universes that exist is infinite, that doesn't mean that all "possible" universes exist.
    but winky specifically posited that any universe we are capable of imagining exists as a conjunct to "there are infinite universes"

If we posit that then yes, that would seem to be the conclusion

No, as they are not made of glass and they do not allow the transmission of photons from one side to the other. They cannot be opened to allow matter to travel freely through. They are in only the most metaphorical sense, windows.

LITERAL

I take issue with your premise, infinite universes do not necessarily contain infinite variation, and I watched Fringe so I'm an expert on this sort of thing.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

LITERAL

LITERARY

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.

Ruined both. bleh.

You are to sex problems what SKFM is to money problems.

My high school crush just stole my fuck buddy. that's like. Baffling. Not opulent.

Like I spent years trying to see your private bits and then you showed them to the girl I was having sex with and both spontaneously became bisexual.

That is the exact opposite of SKFM privilege.

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

LITERAL

LITERARY
    ITINERARY

but winky specifically posited that any universe we are capable of imagining exists as a conjunct to "there are infinite universes"

At that point the proof boils down to "if we posit that Batman exists, then Batman exists."

I ate an engineer
    *whips it out for the deserving*

smCQ5WE.jpg
    win·dow
    ˈwindō/Submit
    noun
    noun: window; plural noun: windows
    an opening in the wall or roof of a building or vehicle that is fitted with glass or other transparent material in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out.

a thing resembling a window in form or function, in particular.

See clearly it is literally a window in the sense of the definition of the word window that is a metaphor for an actual literal window

Could God make a burrito so hot even he could not eat it?

At that point the proof boils down to "if we posit that Batman exists, then Batman exists."

welll certain interpretations of deduction are exactly that, no new information is produced

win·dow
    ˈwindō/Submit
    noun
    noun: window; plural noun: windows
    an opening in the wall or roof of a building or vehicle that is fitted with glass or other transparent material in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out.

a thing resembling a window in form or function, in particular.

See clearly it is literally a window in the sense of the definition of the word window that is a metaphor for an actual literal window

latest?cb=20120822093022

I ate an engineer
    Coinage wrote: »
    Could God make a burrito so hot even he could not eat it?

I will.

steam_sig.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    what if every time you pressed the button

....god damn it

This discussion has been closed.