As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Odd DNS issue with my home network.

Recently I've been having an odd DNS issue. Lately, and quite often (1-3 times a day) my home network loses its DNS. This happens when using both Comcast's or Google's DNS servers. Doing an ipconfig /flushdns doesn't do anything for machines on the network, and it seems the only thing that fixes it is power-cycling the router. But the weird thing is, the router itself still seems to have DNS functionality, as I can ping a web address through the router's admin portal.

For reference my router is an old Buffalo Airstation, circa 2007-8. I think it's capable of running WW-DRT, but I haven't done anything with its firmware ever.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    if you've managed to get 8 years out of a wifi router, I think you've done really well. Personally, with something that old, especially in wifi, I find it's just easier on my sanity to go buy something new.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Recently I've been having an odd DNS issue. Lately, and quite often (1-3 times a day) my home network loses its DNS. This happens when using both Comcast's or Google's DNS servers. Doing an ipconfig /flushdns doesn't do anything for machines on the network, and it seems the only thing that fixes it is power-cycling the router. But the weird thing is, the router itself still seems to have DNS functionality, as I can ping a web address through the router's admin portal.

For reference my router is an old Buffalo Airstation, circa 2007-8. I think it's capable of running WW-DRT, but I haven't done anything with its firmware ever.

Is this a Wireless-G router? Do yourself a favor and buy something newer!

You could try DD-WRT but other than that I have few suggestions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    That's what I feared. Since I haven't kept up with all of the wireless technology, I did a bit of research, and came up with this router amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C5-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00JZFG6QS. How does it look?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    That's what I feared. Since I haven't kept up with all of the wireless technology, I did a bit of research, and came up with this router amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C5-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00JZFG6QS. How does it look?

@Simpsonia I have that router and it is the bomb diggity! Best value for the money out there. I "sold" one to my sister and brother in law when they moved into their new place this month, too.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I might even get the C7 which is a little bit more advanced but is only $10 more.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Jeese, what is with the price fluctuations on Amazon! When I was originally looking at the C5, it was $22 less than the C7, so I added the C5. Before I was able to actually check out, the price jumped $8. So I still ordered it. I just looked again from your link and the C7 dropped $8. Luckily Amazon is good about order cancellations, C7 get!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I recently got an archer c7 and its been flawless thus far, so good choice there

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I might even get the C7 which is a little bit more advanced but is only $10 more.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ

Boy is my face red. My router actually is the C7. I was posting at work and only glanced at the link and the damn things look identical in the picture aside from the barely noticeable "AC1200" and "AC1750" numbers. So @Simpsonia, I still endorse your choice! :P