As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Witness the [Movie] Thread! It lives! It dies! It lives again!

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Ah, mediocre!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There's some huge issues in that comic, for sure

But some of the issues the writer of that has with it (specifically the early stuff) are based on her imposing ideas that were definitely not in the movie into it

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    So if you know anything about toy companies, you know they're pretty terrible and are convinced action figures of female characters don't sell.

Well

Hasbro changed the gender of all the dinosaurs from Jurassic World to male in their toy packaging.

Among the chain of people who wrote, edited and approved that copy, I guarantee you there's at least one person who was plainly not aware of that plot point and either defaulted to male or fixed what they perceived as a mistake.

I mean it's dumb and it's a symptom of systematic sexism, yes. But I wouldn't take the next step and say that they gender-swapped the dinosaurs on purpose for sales purposes.

sig.gif
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Isn't George Miller involved in that tie-in comic in some fashion?

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it doesn't really seem like he was involved too heavily

uc3ufTB.png
    It seems like Mark Sexton, the film's main storyboard artist, was more involved in writing the story.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Best sex scene in a movie belongs to Casa De Mi Padre

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Are you ready for two Tom Hardys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI3v6KfR9Mw

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    So if you know anything about toy companies, you know they're pretty terrible and are convinced action figures of female characters don't sell.

Well

Hasbro changed the gender of all the dinosaurs from Jurassic World to male in their toy packaging.

All I'm seeing here is a decision that inadvertently that supports the LGBT-Rex agenda.

I'm in.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So not surprisingly the early reviews for the new Terminator film aren't too kind.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Best sex scene in a movie belongs to Casa De Mi Padre

also wayne's world

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Speaking of terrible sequels, I've got an hoir and change to kill on the bus, so I'm gonna watch Transformers: Age of Extinction and hope I don't bleed out of my ears or eyes.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of terrible sequels, I've got an hoir and change to kill on the bus, so I'm gonna watch Transformers: Age of Extinction and hope I don't bleed out of my ears or eyes.

At least you didn't rule out all of your orifices

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

That movie is like 9 hours long

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You'll miss out on a solid hour and a half of explosions and blobs of metal if you stop there!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code

for a moment I thought you meant Wayne's World and I felt a sharp pain in my chest.

Jesus, could this movie take any longer to get to any plot advancement or is it just me?

Jesus, could this movie take any longer to get to any plot advancement or is it just me?

I bought it 6months ago and still haven't finished it. It just never ends!

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Well

Why would you need to do that?

Who would even be able to tell???

[IMG][/img]
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Isn't George Miller involved in that tie-in comic in some fashion?

Probably in the same way George RR Martin was involved in the latest season of Game of Thrones.

[IMG][/img]
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    so i just got back from jurassic world

what a deeply "whatever" movie. whole thing felt so rote and inessential, so.... obvious. like they had a sketch for the premise and the raptor pack and then somehow procedurally generated a whole movie out of it

just straight up blaring that JP theme ten minutes in while we slowly zoom in on some unremarkable theme park architecture crawling with tourists. if only the movie were at all funny or clever enough to make me think this juxtaposition was an artistic choice emblamatic of jaded parkgoers/moviewatchers and cynical studios/creators, and not just bumbling nostalgia

like there are ideas there but the movie is just actively disinterested in them. it's interested in dinosaur attacks and a weeping lauren lapkus. i think the older kid had like 15 lines? also i have no idea what anyone's names were except for owen, claire, and the raptors

the end was hokey but, at the same time, the best part of the movie. because
    a) i love watching those raptors run, and
    b) i like to see animals being friends and heroes

like the "nod" moment between Blue and the T-Rex was an "are you shitting me" moment in the best way

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There's some huge issues in that comic, for sure

But some of the issues the writer of that has with it (specifically the early stuff) are based on her imposing ideas that were definitely not in the movie into it

Do you mean the part where the author assumes
    That the wives hadn't spent a majority of their lives as captives and had lived and been educated on the outside? Because that part of the review confused the hell out of me since I didn't get that impression from the movie at all.

That said, I'm happy someone went through this comic page by page so I could get a good impression of how bad it was without actually reading it. Pretty much everything about it, from the character interactions to the writing to the lack of subtlety just doesn't seem to mesh with the movie.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    also i saw the latest trailer for terminator genies

kinda wish they'd kept that plot development out of the trailer! like, that's not a cool plot development hook that makes me want to see your movie, that's a fun twist in a stupid-looking movie you shoulda kept under wraps

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Tait Fletcher aka the Mustache Henchman

1RY3cKM.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
    edited June 2015
    Houk wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yup

The movie is super dumb and has some especially problematic gender politics but is so specifically targeted at making me go YEAAAAAAH while dinosaurs do cool shit I couldn't help but love it

So I've seen this come up many times now, but I have yet to see the counter argument that, to me, is insanely obvious:
    Claire's character arc is a gender-swapped version of Grant's from the first film. He wants nothing to do with kids. Through actions and dialogue, he makes his opinion more than clear. Tying in with the overall theme of the original, Claire's maternal protective instincts kicked in. Nature found a way*. Now, I'm not saying it was the best way to go about it, and it doesn't explain away her sudden soaked pantie syndrome WRT Owen. Then again, she obviously had some kind of prior attraction to him or they never would have had that first date. If people don't approve of the direction her growth went by the end of the movie, that's cool, but I think it ignores "the point."

* Yes, I am well aware that the line from the original was "Life finds a way." Doesn't change my logic here, though. Life/nature will find a way.
    Considering all the other parallels they try and set up, I wouldn't disagree on a fundamental level on what they were going for. But the way that they did it in World compared to Park is just completely nonsensical and inexplicable. In Park, Grant specifically doesn't want kids and since Creative Writing 101 demands that you give your hero what they don't want, he's forced to deal with kids. He's put in a position where he has no choice but to look after them, and in doing so he learns that hey, maybe kids aren't all bad. And just as importantly, the issue of having kids is meaningful and pertinent in his life, because his partner does want kids, and it's obviously a sticking point between them.

In World, the issue of having kids is literally brought up one time, and Claire doesn't even express a feeling one way or the other about kids. It's not made clear whether she wants them, doesn't want them, doesn't care, feels pressured, blah blah blah. It's just like the divorce thing, where it's mentioned once in a hamfisted way and that's supposed to represent character. The big problem with World is that it didn't spend any time defining its characters in meaningful or interesting ways. In Park, after the opening scene with the raptor, you don't see another scary dinosaur until about halfway through the movie, because everything up till then was setting up the characters and the world. In World, they don't waste time with any of that because, like the movie itself says, they think people just want more dinosaurs and more action and more spectacle. And I kind of think the writers truly believed that, and unfortunately the box office has kind of proven them right.

The main problem with how Jurassic World portrays Claire is that it reads like the movie's berating her for being a career-focused woman with no interest in starting a family.

Spoilers within.
    During the first half of the movie, just about every male character talks about how Claire is wrong and how everything she does is wrong.

The kids are disappointed when she doesn't greet them at the docks, and when she rebuffs them at the Visitor's Center. Masrani gently scolds her for being too focused on the business side of the park, while Control Room Tech Guy straight up tells her that she treats the animals like tools, not living creatures. Owen makes fun of her for being meticulous and business oriented. Seriously, EVERY SIGNIFICANT MALE CHARACTER in the movie finds her unacceptable at the outset of the movie, because she has the audacity to be focused on her job, and not on starting her own family. Shit, Judy Greer straight up says "Kids are worth it," when Claire states she's not interested in having children at this point in her life.

I mean, maybe it's not an intentional thing, but it's still really shitty to spend so much time rooting a character's development in outdated social norms, especially when that character happens to be a woman. Plus, there's the fact that when her nephews are put in immediate danger, she immediately becomes frantic, panicky, and generally useless, when that is absolutely not how the character presented to us so far would react in that situation. It's the shitty horror movie trope of "Woman panics in time of crisis, man must tell woman to calm down and not make things worse."

I like this movie a lot more than some other people around here do, but I agree that the portrayal of Claire and the other non-dinosaur female characters is unacceptable for a lot of reasons.

TL;DR: That's one big pile of shit.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]

kinda wish they'd kept that plot development out of the trailer! like, that's not a cool plot development hook that makes me want to see your movie, that's a fun twist in a stupid-looking movie you shoulda kept under wraps

This is why I am convinced this movie is going to be a dumpster fire.

Who in their right mind would spoil a twist like that when you can just put Arnold Schwarzenegger and/or Emilia Clarke in every single bumper or trailer? That right there is enough to get asses into seats.

[IMG][/img]
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wait, so you guys are telling me I have a reason to not watch the TG trailers aside from the fact that the ones I've seen have infuriated me? There's something cool that I should avoid? Color me fucking shocked.

wirehead26 wrote: »
    So not surprysingly the iarly revyiws for the niw Terminator fylm aren't too kynd.

Who in their right mind would spoil a twist like that when you can just put Arnold Schwarzenegger and/or Emilia Clarke in every single bumper or trailer? That right there is enough to get asses into seats.

Well, the T2 trailers spoiled the fact that Arnold was going to be the good Terminator and Robert Patrick the bad Terminator.

Salvation spoiled the fact that Sam Worthington was a Terminator.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

1RY3cKM.jpg

Still not badass enough to go toe to toe with John Goddamn Wick.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

1RY3cKM.jpg

Still not badass enough to go toe to toe with John Goddamn Wick.

Or Denzel Washington.

Or a dinosaur.

b1ehrMM.gif
    So not surprysingly the iarly revyiws for the niw Terminator fylm aren't too kynd.

Well, the T2 trailers spoiled the fact that Arnold was going to be the good Terminator and Robert Patrick the bad Terminator.

T2 ended up being a good movie for a lot of other reasons.

Salvation, in contrast, was butt.

[IMG][/img]
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I think every Terminator movie has been good.

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

I will always defend T3. Salvation was eh.

I don't know if this is a fight I want to pick but I am extremely tempted to pick it.

[IMG][/img]
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    If nothing else, I liked the cool robot motorcycles in Salvation.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg

I don't know if this is a fight I want to pick but I am extremely tempted to pick it.

Sure the film has a ton of problems. But it had great action set pieces and the ending had balls.

I don't recall testicles being prominently displayed in the ending.

I feel like I would remember that.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just saw Spy! it was way better than I was expecting!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Just imagine if Jurassic Park had a strong female protagonist like Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) from Prometheus in it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just saw Spy! it was way better than I was expecting!

Jason Statham has a fantastic ability to poke fun at his usual archetype that I was not prepared to see him express

This discussion has been closed.