As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Witness the [Movie] Thread! It lives! It dies! It lives again!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There's some huge issues in that comic, for sure

But some of the issues the writer of that has with it (specifically the early stuff) are based on her imposing ideas that were definitely not in the movie into it

Do you mean the part where the author assumes
    That the wives hadn't spent a majority of their lives as captives and had lived and been educated on the outside? Because that part of the review confused the hell out of me since I didn't get that impression from the movie at all.

That said, I'm happy someone went through this comic page by page so I could get a good impression of how bad it was without actually reading it. Pretty much everything about it, from the character interactions to the writing to the lack of subtlety just doesn't seem to mesh with the movie.

Yeah, exactly that

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Spy was really good and hilarious

The only character I didn't like was Peter Serafranconqosbshwtwoxnwicz (Pretty sure that's the spelling).

I love him as an actor but his character was basically Male Gaze and Sexual Assault: The Person

CYpGAPn.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    4tv5b2i.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just saw Spy! it was way better than I was expecting!

Jason Statham has a fantastic ability to poke fun at his usual archetype that I was not prepared to see him express

I want to see Statham do an indie film where he's a closeted husband and father but falls in love with Matt Bomer, his daughter's violin tutor. His whole life gets wrecked and he never gets the man of his secret dreams, but he finally sells his macho Civil Engineering contracting company to follow his dream of founding a green energy start-up in Australia, the same country his parents emigrated from to the UK for the oil boom in the North Sea when he was a kid.

Jason, call me, we'll have pho.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Best sex scene in a movie belongs to Casa De Mi Padre

also wayne's world

Team America.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Best sex scene in a movie belongs to Casa De Mi Padre

also wayne's world

Team America.

MACGRUBER

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Hot Shots! Part Deux.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The Naked Gun

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    So Jurassic World appears to be something I should avoid then?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Not necessarily
    It's a lot of fun, but pretty dumb and with some middling to awful characters

Also Spy had a pretty kickass Bond theme song???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSBYAKdiUno

Man I was just not prepared for any part of this movie

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Not necessarily

I had the most fun thinking of it as a meta commentary on the series
    People are bored with dinosaurs, so we have to make them bigger and better. Yes, I know the last time went badly but we've learned a lot and we're confident that it will all work out. Trust us.

One hour later: Oh God Oh God Run Run Ruuuuuun!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

Not necessarily

I'm mainly talking about the sexist stuff. I'm pretty sure that would make it not fun for me, no matter how fun it is supposed to be.

Not necessarily

I'm mainly talking about the sexist stuff. I'm pretty sure that would make it not fun for me, no matter how fun it is supposed to be.

Then I think that's the answer for you!

And to think I thought a movie about dinosaurs would be safe from that.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    When are we getting the jurassic park movie where dinosaurs kill all men and woman inherits the earth

PNk1Ml4.png
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    here's a cute little animated interview with roger ebert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va4DhrwYNpU

FAQ on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Are you ready for two Tom Hardys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI3v6KfR9Mw

I'm going to pretend that this is the movie version of Grand Theft Auto: London, 1969.

kyrcl.png
    Lucy 2 has been confirmed to be in development

how do you make a sequel to that

CYpGAPn.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

imagine what you can do with 200% of your brain

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    (I will see that day one and do not care what it is)

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    (I will see that day one and do not care what it is)

What if its like a slow art peice about the serbian holocaust

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I just

That movie ends with her
    basically becoming omnipotent and omniscient

how do you make a sequel about that

CYpGAPn.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Because Marvel STILL won't make a Black Widow movie.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Janey and her friends want to help her dad keep his garage open by winning the grand prize at the Cherry Valley High annual dance-off. But when a team of professional dancers is flown in from Las Vegas by the CEO of a chain of repair-shops, there's only one person who has the moves to help Janey win.

Lucy 2: Electric Boogaloo

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    http://grantland.com/features/dumber-than-your-average-bear/

Grantland somehow took a movie I had zero interest in seeing and made me want to see it less

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Some things you just do

One giant rack of apparently unfastened containers falls on John, leaving him soaking and screaming on the floor. Ted laughs. So do we, because watching Walhberg degrade himself this emphatically is funny. It’s one of the few times in any movie that an emotion really surfaces on his face, and that the emotion is disgust somehow makes it funnier. Someone from the clinic comes in alarmed, but says not to worry. John’s only been doused with the unusable sperm of men with sickle cell. There’s no explanation of sickle cell’s being a blood disease that potentially affects the health of about 100,000 Americans, most of whom are African American. There’s just Ted, connecting the dots enough to say, through his laughter, that John shouldn’t feel bad. “You see that? You’re covered in rejected black guys’ sperm,” he says. “You’re like a Kardashian!”

It’s possible that at the theater where you watch this movie, the initial laughter will be too loud to hear Ted’s punch line. But I imagine that if Kanye West were to wind up in the audience, the punch would feel actionably real. MacFarlane’s inept attempt to meat-grind race into comedy doesn’t end there. Ted and John share a running joke about the predominance of black penises on the Internet. (You’re always no more than two clicks away, John more or less says.) And when Ted and Tami-Lynn discover that — because she was once a junkie-whore — children aren’t possible biologically, they attempt to adopt, only to be told that Ted isn’t a human. He’s property. There goes his cashier job, his bank account, and his dignity. There also went my patience.

fucking hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I just

That movie ends with her

It's A Good Life, starring Lucy

Yknow I liked Ted 1

and it had plenty of off color jokes

but... what the fuck? Like why would you swerve this hard? It seems completely inane

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    One giant rack of apparently unfastened containers falls on John, leaving him soaking and screaming on the floor. Ted laughs. So do we, because watching Walhberg degrade himself this emphatically is funny. It’s one of the few times in any movie that an emotion really surfaces on his face, and that the emotion is disgust somehow makes it funnier. Someone from the clinic comes in alarmed, but says not to worry. John’s only been doused with the unusable sperm of men with sickle cell. There’s no explanation of sickle cell’s being a blood disease that potentially affects the health of about 100,000 Americans, most of whom are African American. There’s just Ted, connecting the dots enough to say, through his laughter, that John shouldn’t feel bad. “You see that? You’re covered in rejected black guys’ sperm,” he says. “You’re like a Kardashian!”

It’s possible that at the theater where you watch this movie, the initial laughter will be too loud to hear Ted’s punch line. But I imagine that if Kanye West were to wind up in the audience, the punch would feel actionably real. MacFarlane’s inept attempt to meat-grind race into comedy doesn’t end there. Ted and John share a running joke about the predominance of black penises on the Internet. (You’re always no more than two clicks away, John more or less says.) And when Ted and Tami-Lynn discover that — because she was once a junkie-whore — children aren’t possible biologically, they attempt to adopt, only to be told that Ted isn’t a human. He’s property. There goes his cashier job, his bank account, and his dignity. There also went my patience.

fucking hell

http://junkee.com/ted-2-review-what-is-seth-macfarlanes-deal-at-this-point/60071#QcMGRj4UyAbCJR4a.99
    On the one hand, the film drops many noble references to anthropologist Dawn Prince-Hughes’ work on human consciousness; on the other, it directly compares the Emancipation Proclamation to an anthropomorphised teddy bear’s fight to be able to legally shtup his human wife.

Ted’s legal battle is clearly fashioned as a civil rights parable (it has the Dred Scott references to prove it), but the film features broad racial stereotypes and jokes about Ferguson and “homos”. Pick one, MacFarlane, or go harder; the majority of his “naughty” jokes are so sophomoric as to be completely stripped of any political frisson. And then there’s the moment when Ted watches a particularly agonising scene from Roots and draws a parallel between his own plight and Kunta Kinte’s.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Yknow I liked Ted 1

and it had plenty of off color jokes

but... what the fuck? Like why would you swerve this hard? It seems completely inane

Because McFarland.

I liked Ted 1 too. This just seems....ugh...

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I just

That movie ends with her

They didn't let minor details like that stop two Matrix sequels.

kyrcl.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    This is the WRONG THREAD for the post that was here.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    There are, conceivably, THREE current threads that would have worked in and you didn't get ANY of them, Simben

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I had like all three of them open too!

sig.gif
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

imagine what you can do with 200% of your brain

Have a super seizure.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Remember when Epic Rap Battles of History was actually about historical figures?

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Remember when Epic Rap Battles of History was actually about historical figures?

It still is sometimes

but since the very beginning its been real/fake people

I think the second episode was colombus vs captain kirk

This discussion has been closed.