As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2015 Cosplay

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    That is the one, yes.

Then I say go for it.

Yes, agreed. This simply must happen!

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    This year I'm gonna try something simple, gonna do a Fallout Vault Dweller outfit. Should be pretty easy and fun!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    This year I'm gonna try something simple, gonna do a Fallout Vault Dweller outfit. Should be pretty easy and fun!

I was thinking of making a 50s style Vault Dweller dress too. I hope Bethesda brings all their cool E3 booth stuff with them for pictures!

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • Options
    mljonirmljonir Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Debating if I want to try and make Anne Takamaki's red leather catsuit from P5... Not sure if I'd have enough time even if I started right now >____>
    Really wishing there was a spider-gwen game so I could just wear that cosplay...

• Options
    WolfmanASTNWolfmanASTN Registered User regular
    mljonir wrote: »
    Debating if I want to try and make Anne Takamaki's red leather catsuit from P5... Not sure if I'd have enough time even if I started right now >____>
    Really wishing there was a spider-gwen game so I could just wear that cosplay...

Spider-Gwen just got added as a playable character in Marvel: Contest of Champions!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

Spider-Gwen just got added as a playable character in Marvel: Contest of Champions!

She's also going to be in Marvel Heroes as a Team Up character!
    https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/team-advance-pack-2-now-available

I wonder if I can get cool Fallout swag if I show the Bethesda people my Brotherhood of Steel tattoo. :3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

I've seen countless people cosplaying things that aren't really game-related (Attack on titian, Judge Dredd, various superheroes who are incidentally to related to games, if at all, etc.) so...just cosplay what you wanna cosplay as!

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    mljonirmljonir Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

She's also going to be in Marvel Heroes as a Team Up character!
    https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/team-advance-pack-2-now-available

I wonder if I can get cool Fallout swag if I show the Bethesda people my Brotherhood of Steel tattoo. :3

Oh cool! I hadn't heard about that! That's awesome!

• Options
    PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular
    Hey guys, have any of you ever had a problem with wooden items @ PAX? I'm going to be doing a King Dedede cosplay, and I was planning to use wood panels on my hammer to make it look more authentic, but I a friend of mine said some conventions don't like it when you use real wood with your props. It's fairly large, but it would still fall within the cosplay guidelines on PAX's main page. If I can't use real wood I can probably find another solution, but I don't think it'd look as nice.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    You won't have a problem with wood.

• Options
    AaronC wrote: »

Are there any size or weight restrictions? Thanks for replying!

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Potatoeman wrote: »

The weapon rules specify pointy and sharp, but I'm sure they would rule against anything heavy enough to to hurt somebody if you drop it. And if it's really big, think about moving in a crowd. If that would be hard, it's probably too big.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Potatoeman wrote: »

The weapon rules specify pointy and sharp, but I'm sure they would rule against anything heavy enough to to hurt somebody if you drop it. And if it's really big, think about moving in a crowd. If that would be hard, it's probably too big.

Yeah, I'm having a difficult time deciding. I've contacted PAX directly, and then contacted security at the WSCC, and both of them were pretty ambiguous about what would be allowed. The year before last I saw a guy cosplaying as Donkey Kong that had a huge barrel strapped to his back, so I assumed it wouldn't be an issue but now I keep worrying :x

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited June 2015
    So far we have not had to make a specific rule about banning large bulky costumes or props. We did add a new rule (#2 on the linked page http://prime.paxsite.com/news/pax-prime-changes-in-the-works) about not stopping for pictures in the Expo Hall isles. I'd recommend anyone with a large costume consider avoiding area's like the Expo Hall until you change. If possible having someone either not in costume, or a smaller costume with you to help you navigate is also an excellent idea.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    If your costume item is so big that you're accidentally hitting people with it when you move, or you're knocking things over then it won't be allowed. Otherwise you will be fine. People have brought giant 8 foot swords, there has been a Big Daddy etc etc. You should be fine.

• Options
    Thank you for the reassurance. I've been in the past and I know it can be annoying when people have their enormous props all over, so I'd be very careful with it. I appreciate both of ya!

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Hello PAXers. I was informed to ask a cosplay-related question here, so please bear with me. I'm a noob cosplay builder.

I'm looking for someone whom I can pay to create a costume item from the game Destiny. It is a Titan class item called a mark. It is cloth, and hangs around the waist from a belt, similar to a kilt or loincloth.
    If you or someone you know accepts commissions for making cosplay items, please let me know. Of course I will pay you for your time and expertise. Thanks in advance.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Hello PAXers. I was informed to ask a cosplay-related question here, so please bear with me. I'm a noob cosplay builder.

I'm looking for someone whom I can pay to create a costume item from the game Destiny. It is a Titan class item called a mark. It is cloth, and hangs around the waist from a belt, similar to a kilt or loincloth.
    If you or someone you know accepts commissions for making cosplay items, please let me know. Of course I will pay you for your time and expertise. Thanks in advance.

I actually had my Ada Wong dress made by an awesome lady I found on CL (it's true - there are a few normal people using that site!). She was reasonably priced and listened to all my requests and concerns (I have a lot because being neurotic is my favorite pastime); I'm very happy with the costume and totally plan to wear it again this year.

Here is her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ladygires?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

BTW I'm not making anything from this plug, I just think good businesses deserve to be praised

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    Man, July already! It's really time for me to get cracking.

So I have a couple things in the works. I'm doing Zero Suit Samus's blue alt top-and-shorts combo for a Smash Bros group with a couple friends. I'm also working on Lana's Skull Kid outfit from Hyrule Warriors. And I might be doing a Broken Age group with another friend with me as Vella Tartine. Still not sure what my fourth cosplay will be since I'm not 100% sure if I'll be attending Monday due to if my work will give me leeway. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

• Options
    zepallicazepallica Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Managed to thrift a few of Bookers clothing items, the shirt and vest are proving elusive. Going to keep hunting until I hit August I'm hoping the Skyhook is the only thing Ill have to purchase new/full price online guh. wv8j32g16zs4.jpg

zepallica on
  • Options
    BunktaviousBunktavious Registered User regular
    In regards to the new rules "Don't stop to take pictures in the aisles of the Expo Hall", I did have one question: I'm a photographer, and frequently the best place to get group shots of people was that area where the main expo hall hits the skybridge - right in front of where ThinkGeek setup last year. Its a big open area with no exhibits, because of a lower ceiling. I do hope Enforcers take this into account, as it really was one of the best places for groups to take shots without blocking foot traffic, even though its technically part of the expo hall.

• Options
    PixystickpixiePixystickpixie Registered User new member
    I'm looking at doing Heath from Fire Emblem. It's my first cosplay and despite how easy I thought it would be, it's turning out to be a doozie!
    350px-Heath.jpg

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    In regards to the new rules "Don't stop to take pictures in the aisles of the Expo Hall", I did have one question: I'm a photographer, and frequently the best place to get group shots of people was that area where the main expo hall hits the skybridge - right in front of where ThinkGeek setup last year. Its a big open area with no exhibits, because of a lower ceiling. I do hope Enforcers take this into account, as it really was one of the best places for groups to take shots without blocking foot traffic, even though its technically part of the expo hall.

As of now that is considered part of the Expo Hall, and the rule would apply. There is also the North Lobby just west of there (through the glass doors) that would make an even better non-congested area for photos and is outside the Expo Hall. If you spot someone you want to take a photo of free to ask them to step out to the lobby for a minute. We would like the few open area's of the expo hall to remain open (ish) as a place someone who has been in the crush can rest a moment, check the map and talk to friends before plunging back into the craziness.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    RowwieRowwie CanadaRegistered User regular
    Last year I went in my Aurin Esper cosplay from Wildstar which was really fun and my vintage Chell inspired by Portal. I'm debating bringing my Chell again this year because one enforcer got really in my face last year about getting my Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device tagged at weapons check when I said I hadn't been by there. While it is fondly called a "Portal Gun" it's not a gun. It cannot fire anything, it was never designed that way. It makes the nice Portal noises and it lights up, that's all. Other people over heard her shouting at me and jumped in to defend the fact that it isn't a "gun" or a weapon. When I and others pointed out that it doesn't even look like a gun she said it did and told me she'd take my badge away if I didn't go down to weapons check immediately. So, off I went. The ladies at weapons check laughed when I said one of their blue clad comrades just yelled at me about my "realistic gun". The one who put the zap strap on it put it in a place where it wouldn't be seen at all and rolled her eyes that someone would think I'd have to have it checked. Then a child asked to hold it for a photo. Clearly, its very dangerous.
    So, I guess, what I want to know is if I'm going to be hassled for it again. I saw a few other Chells with Portal Devices, none of whom had been to weapons check (Chells chat when we see each other), and thought it would be weird to have to go through that process (even though it was very quick, the ladies were very nice and funny, and it was only a pain to go from the top floor to the middle for a tiny zap strap where they didn't even check my badge or put me on some registry). There must be some criteria for what qualifies as a weapon. I guess I could bludgeon someone with my Portal Device... but it was expensive and I really enjoy it in it's current configuration of factory assembled parts and whacking someone with it would definitely break it. I was cradling that thing like it was my child when walking through the Expo Hall so other people wouldn't knock it...

Regardless, I'll likely bring back my Aurin, and I'm making Dream Sequence Bee from Bee and Puppycat and an Inkling from Splatoon. I'll also be making an Inkling and Drusera from Wildstar for my best friend. Busy busy busy...

Prime 2011- Vintage Nintendo
    Prime 2012- Melisandre (GoT)
    Prime 2013- Regular nerd attire
    Prime 2014- Aurin Esper from WIldstar + Vintage Chell
    Prime 2015- Splatoon Inkling + Dream Sequence Bee + Aurin Esper + Vintage Chell
    Prime2016- Handmade nerdy dresses (cosplay break)

• Options
    Scunosi wrote: »
    I'd need to think of a better way to attach her gem than just using gross amounts of spirit gum, it started to get itchy later in the day.

Spirit Gum is the worst. Lots of people are actually allergic to it to some degree. If you can, get your hands on some ProsAide. It's pricey but it goes a long way. It's a medical grade adhesive widely used in the film industry. It's much stronger but also much gentler than Spirit Gum and it dries clear instead of yellowish and kind of crystally.
    ProsAide just needs a thin coat across the surface of your application, let it dry for a bit until it's tacky, fix in place, you're done until you need to remove it. It's great stuff!

• Options
    cnepoy wrote: »
    Currently I am leaning towards PAX makeup (unrelated to PAX prime. weird that it's the same acronym). I mostly got the idea from this review.

I need to try it out, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them and I could try a couple options. It needs to be makeup that can cover my entire body for the 4 days of PAX (reapplying some to clean it up a bit in the mornings).

PAX will work. Most people will mix 1:1 ProsAide and acrylic paint but I generally find it's better to use a little more ProsAide... Are you planning to paint ALL of your exposed skin or just the parts that need contouring and effects? Get some decent brushes and be prepared to clean them immediately after your application. Hopefully you're travelling with one or more people who can help you with the painting process. I'd suggest bringing along a piece of fabric (like some flannel or something soft like that that won't leave marks or grain in the paint) to sleep on just in case your PAX comes off on the nice white hotel sheets... especially if you're an active sleeper.

Another option, if you're just looking at contouring and some painted effects is alcohol based paint, there are a few varieties. It's activated with alcohol (the kind from the drug store, not your Grey Goose, lol) so it won't sweat off or get rubbed around.
    Still... the nice thing about PAX is that it can be mixed with cab-o-sil to make bondo which makes it more of a 3D material and it can be put in a plastic syringe and extruded into shapes.
    If you have the time and know how (or the time to watch Youtube videos) you can make silicone molds for the 3D effects you need, put the bondo in the mold, put the mold in the freezer for a while, and out comes a set and ready to use prosthesis that will seamlessly adhere to your skin and can be painted. It'll stay until it's removed.

I just recommended ProsAide to another cosplayer as an adhesive and now I feel like some sort of company rep but I'm just a make up artist and ProsAide is a good product.

• Options
    Rowwie wrote: »
    So, I guess, what I want to know is if I'm going to be hassled for it again. I saw a few other Chells with Portal Devices, none of whom had been to weapons check (Chells chat when we see each other), and thought it would be weird to have to go through that process (even though it was very quick, the ladies were very nice and funny, and it was only a pain to go from the top floor to the middle for a tiny zap strap where they didn't even check my badge or put me on some registry). There must be some criteria for what qualifies as a weapon. I guess I could bludgeon someone with my Portal Device... but it was expensive and I really enjoy it in it's current configuration of factory assembled parts and whacking someone with it would definitely break it. I was cradling that thing like it was my child when walking through the Expo Hall so other people wouldn't knock it...

The Enforcer shouldn't have rolled their eyes and acted like it was a waste of their time.

All cosplay weapons, regardless of how fanciful or unable to cause harm they are, are to be checked at weapons check and zip tied. So there is a criteria, it's any weapon. That said, we're not going to stop every 9 year old with a wood minecraft pickaxe. Consider going to the weapons check booth as the price of admission for cosplayers. Every year some cosplayers will slip through the cracks and not get checked, it happens. That said any Enforcer is allowed to check to see if you're weapon has been checked and if not they will direct you to the weapons check booth. It's probably easier to just get it checked.

• Options
    YunalesckaYunalescka Registered User regular
    Headed to Pax this year and dressing up as either my Blood Elf Rogue from Warcraft or Master Skin Sylvanas from Heroes of the Storm! :)

• Options
    edited July 2015

The Enforcer shouldn't have rolled their eyes and acted like it was a waste of their time.

All cosplay weapons, regardless of how fanciful or unable to cause harm they are, are to be checked at weapons check and zip tied. So there is a criteria, it's any weapon. That said, we're not going to stop every 9 year old with a wood minecraft pickaxe. Consider going to the weapons check booth as the price of admission for cosplayers. Every year some cosplayers will slip through the cracks and not get checked, it happens. That said any Enforcer is allowed to check to see if you're weapon has been checked and if not they will direct you to the weapons check booth. It's probably easier to just get it checked.

She didn't act like it was a waste of her time, she rolled her eyes at the enforcer who yelled at me publicly for saying a Portal Device isn't a weapon. If she had asked me like a normal human being to go to weapons check that would have been fine but she seemed to think it was her duty to make sure I was publicly shamed for not having been down there as soon as the doors were open. I have no problem with enforcers doing their jobs, I definitely take issue with enforcers disregarding one of the core rules of PAX, Wheaton's Law.
    That being said, a Handheld Portal Device still isn't a weapon, cosplay or otherwise, it's more of an accessory...for science.
    See you at weapons check, probably Sunday or Monday, lol...

Rowwie on

• Options
    You're right that the first Enforcer should have just asked you to go get your prop checked, as opposed to any kind of yelling.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Due to time constraints I'm gonna have to go weaponless. Boooooo.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The check is also about having them verify there are no pointy bits or things that might hurt someone. Even if its obviously not a real weapon, we want to have it checked to make sure as you are carrying it around in our very crowded halls that if someone bumps into you or it, it does not cause damage. Its not only about verifying it can not shoot projectiles. Really you should have any sort of handheld prop checked (unless its like a pillow or something), its a quick process, and saves you grief and confusion if someone see it and thinks it should be checked.

I'm very sorry about the enforcer yelling at you, if you ever have a bad experience with an enforcer feel free to come report that to our information booth where they will likely send someone to have a chat with them and see if they need a break. We make every effort to make sure they treat everyone respectfully, but mistakes, tiredness, and occasional grumpiness does happen.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    JadelyonessJadelyoness Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Greetings all - I am a photographer and will be at PAX starting Thursday evening all the way through late Monday afternoon. I'm looking forward to getting some great photos while there during the weekend of all the awesome cosplay costumes. Please let me know if you are interested in schedule some one-on-one time for photos.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    TeamVenture89TeamVenture89 Registered User new member
    Started working on my Kazooie costume. There are feathers everywhere in my room. Found a teddy bear at a thrift store that I made a Banjo costume for. Going to carry him around with me.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    FYI for photographers, you can post here to discuss cosplay photography with other attendees, but please do not advertise any paid services. Things like linking to your facebook or your website should be kept to your signature.

• Options
    Chocolate AppleChocolate Apple Registered User new member
    The (soon-to-be) wife and I will be re-using the Booker and Elizabeth costumes we made last year. We had no time to make new ones because we were way too bust planning our wedding.

• Options
    PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    I know at Emerald City Comicon, a lot of photographers hang out by the windows and foliage on the 4th floor at the top of the escalators. Are there usually a bunch there at PAX too? This will be my third year cosplaying at PAX, but I've never noticed if there are photographers there or not :P

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    Really you should have any sort of handheld prop checked (unless its like a pillow or something), its a quick process, and saves you grief and confusion if someone see it and thinks it should be checked.
    So just to clarify, this would include a handmade yarn whip for my Steven Universe's Amethyst? Other than the wooden dowel I'll be using for the handle (grip?) the rest will just be yarn, craft mesh and felt, and cardboard.

It shouldn't be much of a problem to swing by the booth if I have to, but if I don't have to that's more time on the floor.

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    Beker wrote: »
    Really you should have any sort of handheld prop checked (unless its like a pillow or something), its a quick process, and saves you grief and confusion if someone see it and thinks it should be checked.
    So just to clarify, this would include a handmade yarn whip for my Steven Universe's Amethyst? Other than the wooden dowel I'll be using for the handle (grip?) the rest will just be yarn, craft mesh and felt, and cardboard.

It shouldn't be much of a problem to swing by the booth if I have to, but if I don't have to that's more time on the floor.

It's reallllllly a quick process. The Enforcers are right in front of the Info Booth and it takes under a minute :+1:

• Options
    All costume weapons.