As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

anime [chat]

1686970717274»

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    "his gun is jammed, he can't shoot" said in the most moronic way possible

goddamn, tourist, you dumb. You fucking dumb.

I love considering the logical chain that leads someone to conclude that ceremonial guards are chosen from amongst something other than the soldiers who take their jobs the most seriously.

probably someone who has no understanding of military culture

how seriously soldiers take earning stripes and berets and ceremonial positions

i've been watching a documentary series about royal marines commandos training

it's like, that green beret is not just a hat to them, it's the culmination of going through months of hell on earth, proving you can endure stuff that bearly a fraction of people could

like they can't even touch a green beret until they earn their own

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    My mother's firm argued the marriage case! They are partying like whoa right now.

i am feeling salty because i know stephen breyer but hes not the notorious rbg or any of the actually interesting or shitty ones ffs

i didnt even realise he was on the supreme court lel

don't worry everyone always forgets Breyer

he cool tho

i thought he was just a judge altho in my defense im a crab

obF2Wuw.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd say marriage rate is falling because people aren't getting married as frequently anymore.

I wonder if the % has stayed consistent?
    marriages_divorces_per_capita.png
    There's also some limited data indicating that more recent marriages are less divorce prone because people are waiting longer

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I've never been a fan of the 50% divorce statistic. It seems poorly defined to me.

Like, I'm generally against boiling down complicated issues to single numbers anyway, but marriages and divorces cover such a wide range of cultures, ages, and religions in the United States to make a statistic like "50% of all marriages end in divorce" to be entirely worthless in my mind.

vRyue2p.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I'd say marriage rate is falling because people aren't getting married as frequently anymore.

we're talking about the divorce rate, not the ratio of married couples vs non married couples

they be different things yo

They're correlated.

You can't get divorced without being married.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    tumblr_npe6j8831t1ru5h8co1_540.gif

obF2Wuw.png
    I got yelled at by a guardsman in London when I was visiting.

I was getting my picture taken next to him right when they were about to do an inspection or a changing of the guard or something.

So I'm just standing there and the guard yells GET BACK!! at me.

The picture was taken at the exact moment this happened. The guard is yelling at me, and I am in the process of reacting.
    WMdyQpr.jpg

that's amazing

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Whoa, France has mobilised the army in response to that beheading

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm also about 99% sure that the British ceremonial guards have firearms that work perfectly well.

I'm 100% sure that the U.S. ones do, though they don't have a bullet chambered.

It's an incredibly poor practice to put someone on any sort of guard duty with a fake or non-functional firearm. Those are for training exercises.

we're talking about the divorce rate, not the ratio of married couples vs non married couples

They're correlated.

i can

obF2Wuw.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

They're correlated.

yes but you said "marriage rate is falling because people aren't getting married anymore"

which is water is wet because it's water

i would say people are getting married/divorced less often because millennials

PantsB wrote: »

There's also some limited data indicating that more recent marriages are less divorce prone because people are waiting longer

That's a neat infographic.

Seems relatively consistent then. I do find the fact that the marriage rate has flat lined pretty cool itself, though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    11666171_10206105175320920_6357357892058831404_n.jpg?oh=913cf6addc596fad09643293e290fc2c&oe=562E7A29

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    To be slightly fair, colloquially "ceremonial" is often used to mean "something that is decorative/meaningful rather than practical". Ceremonial guards being shit soldiers is also something of a fantasy trope.

That being said, even if you think they're not "good" soldiers, prodding someone who is even nominally a soldier while they're on guard duty is a dumb thing to do.

They aren't really ceremonial guards, they're guards. With snazzy uniforms and orders to stand up straight instead of being slouched in a gatehouse with a coffee cup. Our royal guards deployed with machineguns in parade uniforms on 22nd july. Arrested a policeman who couldn't identify himself well enough.

ftOqU21.png
    UK guards openly carry SMGs and rifles much more than US guards at high security tourist areas.

I'm sure the US guards are heavily armed as well but those ones are not out in the open

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

That's a neat infographic.

Seems relatively consistent then. I do find the fact that the marriage rate has flat lined pretty cool itself, though.

People are avoiding marriage out of poverty, or such is the common story.

Incenjucar wrote: »
    We could use some of those ceremonial guards at the White House these days.

White House guards should wear tailored suits and mirror shades and stand perfectly motionless for 4 hours at a time.

no only a third of them

the rest should wear hawaii shirts, cargo pants, socks in sandals and cameras and chatter incessantly in foreign languages.

ftOqU21.png
    I'm also about 99% sure that the British ceremonial guards have firearms that work perfectly well.

I'm 100% sure that the U.S. ones do, though they don't have a bullet chambered.

It's an incredibly poor practice to put someone on any sort of guard duty with a fake or non-functional firearm. Those are for training exercises.

yes they do

it's general practice for fake/training magazines to be painted yellow in the British army

besides they are actually guarding a place that is plausibly likely to come under attack

if a suicide bomber or something decides to hit Buckingham Palace I guarantee the guards will have more at their disposal than harsh language

UK guards openly carry SMGs and rifles much more than US guards at high security tourist areas.

I'm sure the US guards are heavily armed as well but those ones are not out in the open

Security at the white house tends to have these little black sleeves over their guns.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I suspect I'll only be able to get you guys SO hype for Sunday morning's rocket launch today (apparently there's bigger news today?!?!)

But in case you're interested, NASA/SpaceX have released their Press Kit , full of cool stuff like the mission overview, a moment-by-moment description of how things should happen during the mission (including a timeline and fairly in-depth descriptions), and all sorts of other cool stuff about the Dragon, Falcon, ISS, NASA, SpaceX, the launch facility - everything you'd need to know to write your own generic article about the event! :P

I'm paying attention! I'm super excited about what SpaceX is doing!

I'll do a little more hype-building tomorrow morning (~24 hours before launch) - we should have images of the rocket on the pad, static tests will be finished, etc., so we'll have a lot more information - and then I apologize for none of my behaviour Sunday morning :P

Reminder: Launch is 14:21 UTC on Sunday - That's 10:21am on the East Coast, 7:21am out west, and do your own math if you're somewhere else!

Streams will go up about ~30 minutes prior to launch (which coincides nicely for when interesting stuff starts happening on the timeline), and of course if you can't / don't want to view the launch live, I will be ALL OVER post-launch media, including how the first stage landing attempt goes!

That's exactly when I'm on my way to work, so I'll have to catch the post-launch replay. I might be in time to see their recovery attempt live. If they can pull it off, that's a massive leap forward in space exploration.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    this american concept artist waifu offered me a green card marriage but now that gay marriage is legal her offer has only half value (this is maths)

if she is in seattle you should still doooooo iiiit

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    If you have your doubts about 'ceremonial' positions, just look at the Canadian Sergeant-at-Arms and how he resolved the terrorist attack on the Parliament last year.

'Ceremonial' guards take their jobs very seriously, and aren't picked because they aren't good at what they do.

These guys
    A-policeman-holds-a-machine-gun.jpg
    not the beefeaters

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Like, what's the denominator for that divorce rate? Is it all marriages that exist in the United States? Then what is the numerator? All divorces ever in the United States? Those are both problematic methods of attaining what we actually want to know about divorce rates, which is essentially "What is the probability that a given marriage will end in divorce?"

Doing some cursory research, it looks like the first appearance of the 50% statistic came about by counting up how many divorces and marriages there were in a particular year, and dividing the latter by the former. Which is honestly idiotic.

vRyue2p.png
    Casual wrote: »

I love considering the logical chain that leads someone to conclude that ceremonial guards are chosen from amongst something other than the soldiers who take their jobs the most seriously.

probably someone who has no understanding of military culture

how seriously soldiers take earning stripes and berets and ceremonial positions

i've been watching a documentary series about royal marines commandos training

it's like, that green beret is not just a hat to them, it's the culmination of going through months of hell on earth, proving you can endure stuff that bearly a fraction of people could

like they can't even touch a green beret until they earn their own

A royal guard I talked to got an M1 bayonet first through his foot and screamed MY POLISHED SHOES

ftOqU21.png
    mostly because shining those shoes takes two weeks and feet repair themselves, though

ftOqU21.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Like, what's the denominator for that divorce rate? Is it all marriages that exist in the United States? Then what is the numerator? All divorces ever in the United States? Those are both problematic methods of attaining what we actually want to know about divorce rates, which is essentially "What is the probability that a given marriage will end in divorce?"

Doing some cursory research, it looks like the first appearance of the 50% statistic came about by counting up how many divorces and marriages there were in a particular year, and dividing the latter by the former. Which is honestly idiotic.

The median length of a marriage in the United States is 11 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_in_the_United_States

To be slightly fair, colloquially "ceremonial" is often used to mean "something that is decorative/meaningful rather than practical". Ceremonial guards being shit soldiers is also something of a fantasy trope.

That being said, even if you think they're not "good" soldiers, prodding someone who is even nominally a soldier while they're on guard duty is a dumb thing to do.

They aren't really ceremonial guards, they're guards. With snazzy uniforms and orders to stand up straight instead of being slouched in a gatehouse with a coffee cup. Our royal guards deployed with machineguns in parade uniforms on 22nd july. Arrested a policeman who couldn't identify himself well enough.

I mean, I think we can all agree here that the problem is the difference between popular perception and reality.

vRyue2p.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Well, kinda. They're definitely very, ah, motivated, but I've always held garrison bullshit is just bullshit. Actual combat deployments are where it is at.

Almost everybody in those sorts of positions (Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Queen's Guard, etc.) is required to have had one or more combat deployments.

Eh. I'd argue that anything you're not in utility uniform while doing is self-evidently not important, but there's a bit of personal opinion there.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I sent a text to my friend asking her to gay marry me, but she hasn't responded. So cruel. :(

are you thinking of police?

soldiers don't tend to guard tourist attractions unless you're talking about something like Buckingham Palace

heavily armed police are just a fixture of most European cities these days

walking around the Paris metro there were squads of police standing around in tactical gear carrying what i assume were tear gas grenade launchers

that's not counting the real troops the French have on the streets of PAris in the wake of the hedbo attacks

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    416469141_Vt5aq-1050x10000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.