As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gay Marriage is now legal in the United States [chat]

Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
On the eve of pride weekend, no less, the United States Supreme Court, the highest court of the land, ruled that gay marriage bans can no longer be enforced.

27scotus4_hp-master675.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage.html?_r=0
WASHINGTON — In a long-sought victory for the gay rights movement, the Supreme Court ruled by a 5-to-4 vote on Friday that the Constitution guarantees a right to same-sex marriage.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, writing for the majority in the historic decision, said gay and lesbian couples had a fundamental right to marry.

“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family,” he wrote. “In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”

The decision, which was the culmination of decades of litigation and activism, set off celebrations across the country and the first same-sex marriages in several states. It came against the backdrop of fast-moving changes in public opinion, with polls indicating that most Americans now approve of the unions.

Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Most Buck-Wild Pride Parade Nation’s Ever Seen

800.jpg
WASHINGTON—Following decades of debate over the constitutional right to same-sex marriage, the U.S. Supreme Court today handed down a 5-4 ruling in favor of the most buck-wild, balls-to-the-wall gay pride parade this country has ever seen. “After reviewing the constitutional underpinnings of this case, the court finds that it is discriminatory for states to deny the right to the most out-of-control, bonkers gay pride parade that anyone could possibly imagine,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote in his majority opinion, which outlined at length the elaborate floats, billowing rainbow flags, and phalanxes of outlandishly dressed participants, barely scratching the surface of how completely bananas things are about to get. “This decision confirms what should be obvious: The government cannot prevent a nonstop bacchanal surging through the streets of every American city. We’re talking half-naked lesbians covered in body paint, rollerblading homosexuals in brightly colored Native American headdresses and sparkling gold briefs, as well as hundreds of thousands of supporters losing their fucking minds while ‘I Will Survive’ blares at 150 decibels. This is going to be an absolute shit show.” The Supreme Court’s landmark decision was reportedly appended by a concurring opinion authored by Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor in which she agreed that the right to “an uninterrupted three-day batshit insane rager” was mandated by the U.S. Constitution.

But in all seriousness, even after this tremendous win for our kind, let us celebrate and then remember the rest of our brothers and sisters who lack legal protection - the trans community for example. Someday we will have a beautiful ruling for them, someday!

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    CIcKnr6WgAAMj7N.jpg:large

obF2Wuw.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    an interracial, intrasex relationship

ted cruz didn't die for this

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Add a rainbow filter to your FB profile pic!

https://www.facebook.com/celebratepride

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    an interracial, intrasex relationship

ted cruz didn't die for this

i killed myself multiple times for it tho so it evens out

obF2Wuw.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The adorable ladies kissing in the first picture.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    11203512_716507171788732_9119018718553330703_o.jpg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    This thread would piss off so many hillbillies.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A+++ would read again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    A+++ would read again.

Whoa whoa. Can't just be all throwing around +'s willy-nilly, we got a system. Three +'s. What does that even mean

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

The adorable ladies kissing in the first picture.

The adorable ladies kissing in the third picture.

H9f4bVe.png
    Man I bet there will be such a party at Town and Cobalt tonight.

Ugh I know I will feel like crap from my meds too. :(

Of course last I was there was for Pride weekend in DC. That was fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I love the way Front enunciates in that song.

like to fffffuck

Oh brilliant
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    10542073_10153455501654700_2585492975036252125_o.png

poo
    doh sig beat me

poo
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    A+++ would read again.

Whoa whoa. Can't just be all throwing around +'s willy-nilly, we got a system. Three +'s. What does that even mean

Add the members of the preceeding set recursively three times. It allows for up to triply nested sets

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Huzzah for gay marriage!

Wedding planners and divorce lawyers now have a whole new market. Gay marriage. Good for gay people, good for straight people, good for the economy.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is terrific, though.

It must have been a really good week to be a liberal in the U.S.

rule 34 paying dividends

20100810-libertyjustice.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    sorry it wasn't more elaborate but I'm at work

also we just did our 500,000th bill!

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    sorry it wasn't more elaborate but I'm at work

also we just did our 500,000th bill!

How many Williams?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just like virtual parties. And actual parties.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    soundtrack to the party

poo
    I am reading through a deck thing on Netrunner from the UK championships I think.

There is just a great line in it.
    As an American he’s prone to sincere compliments like this. It’s absolutely ghastly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    This thread would piss off so many hillbillies.

I saw this amazing youtube (posted in a chat thread a while back) of this total redneck backwoods looking dude who tapes his youtube blog in his backyard that looks like the absolute stereotypical redneck backyard.

In the video he argued about how the opposition to gay marriage was basically silly and a waste of time.

This thread has has a good soundtrack.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Like, what's the denominator for that divorce rate? Is it all marriages that exist in the United States? Then what is the numerator? All divorces ever in the United States? Those are both problematic methods of attaining what we actually want to know about divorce rates, which is essentially "What is the probability that a given marriage will end in divorce?"

Doing some cursory research, it looks like the first appearance of the 50% statistic came about by counting up how many divorces and marriages there were in a particular year, and dividing the latter by the former. Which is honestly idiotic.

The median length of a marriage in the United States is 11 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_in_the_United_States

I like the writeup in the Statistics section of that wikipedia article, but the specific stat you quoted appears to be lacking a citation. I've been looking at Google, but all of the places I've looked give the median length of marriages that end in divorce. Finding a reputable source for an overall median marriage length has been difficult.

However, I did find this report from the Census Bureau: https://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p70-125.pdf

In particular, I like the section on % of marriages that reach each of the 5-year anniversaries.

I dunno, I guess overall my point is, the topic is pretty complicated, especially when you consider differences in income and culture (and gender, interestingly enough), and the 50% statistic is dumb and stupid.

vRyue2p.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I had to reproduce that quote manually, by the way, due to the thread closure. I am super pissed at the gays for making my life slightly more difficult.

vRyue2p.png
    Heh, Dwarfers just met Jesus.

"23AD, this is when he's supposed to be alive!"
    "So how old would he be?"

Cat <3

Oh brilliant
    You can't pull quotes from closed threads? Must be a chore.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    What Fabulous day!

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    So would anyone like to gay marry. Me? I am now accepting applications.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

tax the mods!!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Neco wrote: »

um but ur a girl ffs how can i gay mary u think about it...

obF2Wuw.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    sorry, accidentally got gay married at lunch..not even sure who this guy is....i thought it was a requirement now so i sort of jumped the gun so i wouldn't get left with an uggo

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Elki wrote: »

It was a chore! I had to copy/paste the comment number and stuff!

Plus it was a double quote, so I had to do it twice!

It took like 5 whole minutes.

vRyue2p.png
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    sorry, accidentally got gay married at lunch..not even sure who this guy is....i thought it was a requirement now so i sort of jumped the gun so i wouldn't get left with an uggo

someone better tell Hakkes

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    9436812683_9a25c311ed_o.jpg
    Is this thread about to get fabulous with gay pride pictures?

All signs point to yesss

zepherin on
This discussion has been closed.