As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Annual Post-PAX Party Returns! [Cancelled]

• valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    Personally, I am fine with $30 and I dont see why an extra $5 would be a deal breaker for most people at this point. If it makes things easier to get this off the ground I am all for it.

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    30s cool with me. I might be able to help. No promises tho work is being a little b

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I'm interested in attending, and $30 is well within my budget.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As the original conversation was talking $40/ticket, I'm sure no one will complain with paying $30!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Okay, I think I have the tickets figured out. EventBrite has their own in-house payment system but we can't use it, so our only other real option is to use PayPal. Thankfully I already have a business account with them so it shouldn't be much of an issue, there just might be some of their typical fees and such. It's unavoidable at this point as far as I'm concerned, so I do apologize for that. :/

But oh well. The event is live, tickets are on sale, and I just tested it by purchasing my own ticket and it worked, so... here we go!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-6th-annual-post-pax-party-tickets-17359528818

I've also made a Facebook event for those interested. If that's something you use, feel free to join it and share it to your friends and fellow PAX-goers!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1412500462412474/

Note: There is currently a limit of 300 tickets on the EventBrite page, but we're not limited to that. We can go up to 500, but if we go any higher than 300 then I will have to sign a new contract, so I'm just capping it for now. If we hit it, I will add more tickets.

EDIT: The "tickets remaining" number might be inaccurate, so if/when it ever gets low, feel free to ask me what it actually is. My first ticket purchase attempt failed yet the number still went down to 299...
    EDIT: Don't freak out if you see some weird business name on your payment receipt. My PayPal business account is tied to a "pet services" business that I actually own, license and all. I don't use the account for anything, so no worries there. Just a heads up. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    AWESOME!!!!! Now I just need to wait till Friday to get paid so I can pick up a pair for me and the GF

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    BOUGHTERATED

See you wonderful people there!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • davobahdavobah Registered User regular
    Just bought 2. PayPal to Roper's Pet Services? It does say it's for the PAX post-party so I guess all is cool?

ewk6x7oeylli.png
    Never mind my pet services question, you explain it above. Sorry.

ewk6x7oeylli.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    coldbrew is a multitalented individual

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    davobah wrote: »
    Just bought 2. PayPal to Roper's Pet Services? It does say it's for the PAX post-party so I guess all is cool?
    Pet Fluffing and folding is of course an extra service at the dinner :)

cool, I shall bring my two pomeranians then. :)

ewk6x7oeylli.png
    Solelron wrote: »
    davobah wrote: »
    Pet Fluffing and folding is of course an extra service at the dinner :)

Be sure to ask that they go easy on the starch.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited June 2015
    Tickets are bought and paid :)

@TOGSolid It seems we have not gone the last 3 PAX doing something that involves a Pre or Post PAX drinking night :) Lol forward to saying hi again!

valdor on
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I'm mostly just contracted through a free-range boarding facility, but hey, I can branch out if I need to. I knew that was going to be awkward for some people to see though. :P

Looks like we've sold 16 tickets so far including my own, so it's not a bad start. Still plenty of time though! I'll be sending them a deposit fairly soon but I want to make sure I hang on to some of the funds in case anybody needs to cancel and get refunded.

NSw0gum.png
    edited July 2015
    Just wanted to toss in an update and bump the thread.

Not really much to update though honestly. 26 tickets have been sold. We need to sell around 230-240 minimum to be able to make this thing happen, but I know it's still early. Thanks to everyone who has purchased their ticket already and helped get this thing going. :D

I'm also going to send a personal invitation to the Protomen to come hang out and party with us, provided they don't ditch and do another show that night (wouldn't be the first time). :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    Have you posted a link to Reddit yet? That is another avenue to get the word out.

4 Year Pax West Attendee
    Nah, that is a good idea but I tend to avoid Reddit. If anybody else wants to make a post over there though, feel free.

NSw0gum.png
    edited July 2015
    valdor wrote: »
    Have you posted a link to Reddit yet? That is another avenue to get the word out.

I should do this for the PPD too. I'm currently in the same boat as @Coldbrew regarding the tickets sold, though my go/no go threshhold is a bit more manageable.

I keep forgetting Reddit is a thing on the Internet.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited July 2015
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Nah, that is a good idea but I tend to avoid Reddit. If anybody else wants to make a post over there though, feel free.

Ah well I went ahead a posted a link to the Eventbrite page so hopefully that spreads it around more.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    valdor wrote: »

I should do this for the PPD too. I'm currently in the same boat as @Coldbrew regarding the tickets sold, though my go/no go threshhold is a bit more manageable.

I keep forgetting Reddit is a thing on the Internet.

Yeah, I still need to buy tickets for the PPD. Gotta get a full stomach for the bar crawl to follow,

valdor on
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
    edited July 2015
    I'm currently in the same boat as @Coldbrew regarding the tickets sold, though my go/no go threshhold is a bit more manageable.

You've done the PPD for a few years now right? When do ticket sales generally start to pick up on your end?
    I'm probably worrying too much, but I just hate the idea of not making enough to run this thing, especially since I'd only get like half the deposit back if we had to cancel late enough.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited July 2015
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I'm currently in the same boat as @Coldbrew regarding the tickets sold, though my go/no go threshhold is a bit more manageable.

You've done the PPD for a few years now right? When do ticket sales generally start to pick up on your end?
    I'm probably worrying too much, but I just hate the idea of not making enough to run this thing, especially since I'd only get like half the deposit back if we had to cancel late enough.

Usually they'd blow out fairly quick. Last year it was a steady trickle but for the first time I didn't sell out but this year is just a disaster so far. I'll be calling the caterer and seeing what my options are when I get home from work. I'll be seeing if I can drum up any momentum off of Reddit too.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Sheesh. Yeah thankfully the Parlor has been really good and flexible with me so hopefully we would be able to change up the contract a bit if we need to lower things.

Here's to hoping both events pick up by the end.

NSw0gum.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I know one person is just a drop in your bucket, but I'm hoping to buy tickets later, once I have a better idea of what that weekend will look like for me.

And weirdly, the SchlitzKrieg is pretty popular this year - more than last year. Go fig.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Hubby and I just got our tickets. Looking forward to it!

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I feel bad as I was really eager about this party, but the past few weeks just having the money to pay for our hotel has unfortunately come into question. If/when we get the money I'll try to buy tickets, but I apologize for not getting any after they went live. I've been talking to friends about parties though, so if we do end up going maybe we'll have a few more in tow!

Also, I found a PAX Prime Parties Facebook group, make sure you're linked to on there, too. They seem more up-to-date than the thread here on the forums, and are probably more widely browsed.

No worries, tickets will be on sale until at least a week prior so you have time! Would you mind posting a link to that FB group? I was just wondering where the parties thread was, there is usually a good one by now that's up to date.

NSw0gum.png
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Sure, here it is.

Just wanted to give another update. We're a month out! However, we've only sold 30 tickets and I've had to issue a few requested refunds already. I know a lot of people buy tickets later on, like within the last one or two weeks (I'm usually that way myself) but we need to sell around another 200 in the next few weeks or this won't be happening. I hate to sound like a downer, I'm just not terribly optimistic about it anymore.
    The issue with waiting too long to see if it picks up enough is that if we still fall short then I might not get the full deposit back, and refunding people in full might be a problem.

Just wanted to throw that out there. There's other cool things happening on the same night as this, like the Rock Band party that sprung up last year (which is also free), among other things. I'll leave it alone for now but if anybody has any thoughts on it at all I'd be happy to hear them. :)

NSw0gum.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I hope it works out, but ultimately you should do whatever makes sense for you not losing a bunch of money on the deal.

• monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    I think that not be during Memorial Day weekend is just killing the post and pre pax stuff.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    monkosh wrote: »
    I think that not be during Memorial Day weekend is just killing the post and pre pax stuff.

Makes sense. I think some number (maybe large number) of participants in those were local, so not having the extra day off might be hurting things.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I would be very sad if this feel through as it seems like this is the only party(besides board gaming) that is open to 20 year olds. Saying that however you should do whatever makes financial sense.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
    monkosh wrote: »

You mean Labor Day weekend. :P
    Honestly though, that's probably likely, which is unfortunate.
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    I would be very sad if this feel through as it seems like this is the only party(besides board gaming) that is open to 20 year olds. Saying that however you should do whatever makes financial sense.

I'd be sad too. I mean there's a show that night that I would love to go to so I personally wouldn't be at a huge loss but I would hate to lose this party for the sake of everybody else. It's always been a fun time and plenty of people seem to really look forward to it every year. It would suck to come this far only to have to end it, but if having PAX on Labor Day is such a big factor in this then we will probably have better luck next year. It's also good to know that PAX has only gone into Monday for I think the third year now? so the party used to be on Sunday, which also probably helped a lot.

I'll talk to the venue some time within the next few days and go from there.

NSw0gum.png
    edited August 2015
    Alright, we're still under 40 sold and we need to be over 200 to break even, so I think I'm going to have to shut it down. They offered to just set up a smaller area for us instead of reserving the whole downstairs, but it just doesn't really seem worth it. I'm sorry that it had to come down to this. Maybe it's a failure on my part, or maybe it's multiple factors (like not being on Labor Day), but it's hard to say. PAX will be back on Labor Day weekend again next year so we can definitely try this again. Maybe we'll try this venue again, maybe we'll find something cheaper. Time will tell.

Check out this thread for a list of other events and parties happening over the weekend and specifically Monday night. When this party didn't happen last year, the Rock Band party sprouted up at the Unicorn and apparently turned out pretty well, plus it's free. That is happening again, so if you're at least 21 then maybe that will turn out to be a good alternative. Personally I will most likely end up at the Protomen & Bit Brigade show.

Again, I'm so sorry that it has come to this, especially for those of you who really look forward to this party every year like I do. To everyone that bought tickets, go into Eventbrite and request a refund for them and I will process those as soon as I can. I'll send out an email to all ticket-holders about this too. I just need to find out how to actually cancel it.

EDIT: If enough of you still want to do something, we can still reserve just a smaller area for an all-ages gathering. I'm not sure exactly what all we would have at that point, but at the very least it would be an area reserved for us to hang out, have some drinks, play some games, etc. I'm going to be honest here for a moment though: I'm incredibly stressed out with work at the moment and don't have a lot of patience to handle this, so if you guys would want to go in this direction and if anybody else would be willing to take over, I'd be happy to get you in contact with them. If it's a small enough thing then we can actually remove the ticketing entirely and I can still refund everybody. Again I don't have all the details yet though, so let me know what you all think.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all that you did, @Coldbrew . Count me in for next year.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    Hey coldbrew, thanks for the hard work on trying to set this up. I am sorry the after party cannot occurr this.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
    Sucks that this didn't happen, it would have been nice for the PPP to ride again.

I'll see you at the Proto show probably!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Ditto - it sucks to be the unlucky one who set it up on an off year. Don't let it get you down, sometimes these things just happen.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Sucks that it won't be happening! Ironic for us as we are able to attend because it ISN'T on the long weekend. We don't have to get back to Canada quickly to get the kids back for the first day of school. Oh well

Thank you so much for all the work that you put into this. I hope with PAX being on the long weekend next year it will get on it's feet again!