As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Royal guard isn't a defensive style. It's an offensive style. Royal blocks put enemies on the back foot and block cancelling lets you combined offensive moves faster.
    If you are thinking about it as a safety net you are going to get utterly destroyed every time you switch to royal guard. You have to know the enemies really well.
    Trickster is the defensive style.
    When you need to stay alive use trickster.

I never really viewed Trickster as all that defensive. That mobility lets you herd the enemies for easy group damage. Yeah, you can dodge with it but eh. That's secondary to the positioning it lets you do to set shit up and keep combos flowing.

Royal guard works like this. Press block at the last second, as in just frame timing, and you don't take damage. Hold the button and you take less damage. Many attacks can still bust straight through the block.
    Trickster works like this. Dash at the last second, you get a big style boost as well as evading the attack. Evade a little too early, you still avoid the attack. It can avoid every attack.
    If you fail a royal guards perfect frames you take damage. If you fail a dodges perfect frames you...don't get a style boost.

The i frames for dash are much more reliable for not taking damage.

They can both be used for offense and really high level play uses both of them, but in terms of someone not comfortable with the game trickster is much more forgiving.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    In Vergil's skill list, it shows Force Edge Combo A ending in a million stab, but I seem unable to do this. I've tried mashing, but it always just ends with a single thrust.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A lot of Vergil's moves seem Motivation dependant. I am not the best at this, but it seems like full motivation = flashier moves.

So yeah, I beat Nero/Dante on Devil Hunter, whoo! Went LDK mode for Vergil. Things started to click after a while - you really, really need that motivation gauge filled at all times. Vergil seems to be all about chilling in place, waiting for an opening and then wiping out 20 guys at once with his amped up powers.

I tore through the chumpos, did great, SSS ranks errywhere! ...until I got to Berial. I can't beat Berial as Vergil. It's im-fucking-possible. I try getting a little motivated, playing defensive and all, but he doesn't seem to have great evasive techniques. Didn't he used to have Trick Down, to bail out? That seems to be gone, and whenever Berial does his big explosion attack it's a guaranteed hit cause I can never escape fast enough. D:

Oh brilliant
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Yo

Vergil is like this.

BE VERGIL.

You cannot play Vergil if you're not acting like Vergil.

It's the Jetstream Sam rule.

You walk everywhere taunt all the time finish those poses420BLAZEIT.

Belial is kinda weird though I just brute forced him and never dodged his explosion thing. Pretty sure you don't dodge that but just get the hell out or Perfect guard.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    A lot of Vergil's moves seem Motivation dependant. I am not the best at this, but it seems like full motivation = flashier moves.

So yeah, I beat Nero/Dante on Devil Hunter, whoo! Went LDK mode for Vergil. Things started to click after a while - you really, really need that motivation gauge filled at all times. Vergil seems to be all about chilling in place, waiting for an opening and then wiping out 20 guys at once with his amped up powers.

I tore through the chumpos, did great, SSS ranks errywhere! ...until I got to Berial. I can't beat Berial as Vergil. It's im-fucking-possible. I try getting a little motivated, playing defensive and all, but he doesn't seem to have great evasive techniques. Didn't he used to have Trick Down, to bail out? That seems to be gone, and whenever Berial does his big explosion attack it's a guaranteed hit cause I can never escape fast enough. D:

He does have Trick Down, but only in devil trigger. The input is away + jump.

• PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    There's an achievement for beating Dante in bloody palace without taking damage, man that's rough.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Poseidon wrote: »
    There's an achievement for beating Dante in bloody palace without taking damage, man that's rough.

if theyve left his ai the way it was you can cheese him in a bunch of ways so its not too bad

obF2Wuw.png
    So how bout dat Vergil ending? :O
    He's Nero's DT. So he's probably the babydaddy too.

Would've liked a more concrete declaration, as there's still a vocal bunch of whiners saying it can't possibly be true because of the timeline or something, but yeah that's good enough for me.

Oh brilliant
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Would've liked a more concrete declaration, as there's still a vocal bunch of whiners saying it can't possibly be true because of the timeline or something, but yeah that's good enough for me.

That was incredibly obvious in the base game though.
    The shape of Nero's DT is Nelo Angelo...he says Vergil's classic line when he first gets it...there's obviously only one intended way to understand that scene.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.

The shape of Nero's DT is Nelo Angelo...he says Vergil's classic line...there's obviously only one intended way to understand that scene.

You'd think! But the denial is strong with this fanbase. I wandered into the GameFAQs board (yeah, I know - I wanted some technical help!) and yeaaaaah. No one believes it. :I

It did strike me, playing through Nero's campaign again...
    A bunch of his combat yells are copy pasted from Vergil. He's got cut off, be gone, blast, probably more I didn't notice.

Oh brilliant
    edited June 2015

The shape of Nero's DT is Nelo Angelo...he says Vergil's classic line...there's obviously only one intended way to understand that scene.

You'd think! But the denial is strong with this fanbase. I wandered into the GameFAQs board (yeah, I know - I wanted some technical help!) and yeaaaaah. No one believes it. :I

It did strike me, playing through Nero's campaign again...
    A bunch of his combat yells are copy pasted from Vergil. He's got cut off, be gone, blast, probably more I didn't notice.

Good thing I don't require gamefaqs approval then or I'd be in trouble....

No really, who cares what they think. I only go there to get info on techniques.
    I don't actually listen to the popular opinion on gamefaqs.

Then again I am usually unruffled by the popular opinion on anything so I guess that's no real surprise.

Morninglord on
    I just think it's curious. Back when it first came out, the only online community I was on was Devil's Lair forums - it's a neat site that's still up, I've even been using it to find Blue Orbs. ;P

And yeah, they were all on board too. Always thought of it as an open secret. To suddenly find there's this big chunk of people that just straight up do not believe it because it's never explicitly said in game is nuts.
    Dante even says he needs to keep Yamato in the family, then leaves it with Nero! C'mon!

Oh brilliant
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I really enjoy Lady, but Trish is...

She has a ton of deadly combos, but they take so long to get to the good parts. Round Trip seems to be core to controlling larger groups, but you can't do aerials while RT is going since Inazuma grounds you immediately.
    I still haven't found a good rhythm, I guess? I'm not doing poorly, it just doesn't feel as completely destructive as Lady, Nero, or Dante.

Yeah.

YEAH.

Give me all the high level DMC4:SE combo videos. ALL OF THEM.

Also on the Vergil thing
    Man WHAT. It was hilariously obvious from JUMPOFF that Vergil was Nero's dad.

And in DMC4:SE a woman stops and quite obviously stares at him.

Vergil is totally the babydaddy

I have no idea what is going on with Lady but I saw her drop a nuke on that frog so I am on board.
    Oh I got paid today.
    Why haven't I bought this yet?
    Good question!
    My wallet will answer it RIGHT NOW!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wait...there were people who actually doubted that connection...I thought it was obvious.

I have no idea what is going on with Lady but I saw her drop a nuke on that frog so I am on board.
    Oh I got paid today.
    Good question!

Lady can do lots of things.

But you won't be doing those things.

Instead, you will try to get max charge Kalina Ann Rocket shots for TONS OF DAMAGE.

Like, you can say you wont.

But you will.

PSA on Vergil - he has a stronger version of Judgement Cut you can do if you time it right, just frame on the charge;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMFxA0BBTLE

I also hear his Beowulf uppercut can be distorted like Dante's Real Impact, but I'm having a helluva time doing it. There's no easy 'moment' to hit the DT like on Dante's. :I

Oh brilliant
    PSA on Vergil - he has a stronger version of Judgement Cut you can do if you time it right, just frame on the charge;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMFxA0BBTLE

I also hear his Beowulf uppercut can be distorted like Dante's Real Impact, but I'm having a helluva time doing it. There's no easy 'moment' to hit the DT like on Dante's. :I

I've pulled that off by accident and I was wondering what exactly happend!

NOICE.

Oh I got paid today.
    Good question!

Lady can do lots of things.

But you won't be doing those things.

Instead, you will try to get max charge Kalina Ann Rocket shots for TONS OF DAMAGE.

Like, you can say you wont.

But you will.

Naw her shotgun and pistol combos are amazing for control and kills against groups of enemies, there's lots of fun to be had.
    Kalina Ann is beautiful for bosses, though.

Secret Mission 9 is called Unbreakable. It should be called Untenable.

Cannot be tenned.

Oh brilliant

Cannot be tenned.

Use Dante, murder the first set of Chimera Seeds ASAP, take on the rest of the lizards normally, no sweat. When the next wave pops in use PF: 666 Omen immediately to kill them all in one go.

S'how I did it last time. Couldn't manage it with Trish this go-round, but I'll get it done.

Rainfall wrote: »

Cannot be tenned.

Use Dante, murder the first set of Chimera Seeds ASAP, take on the rest of the lizards normally, no sweat. When the next wave pops in use PF: 666 Omen immediately to kill them all in one go.

S'how I did it last time. Couldn't manage it with Trish this go-round, but I'll get it done.

Hah, this is pretty much exactly how I did it! :P

Oh brilliant
    Rainfall wrote: »

Cannot be tenned.

Hah, this is pretty much exactly how I did it! :P

Pandora: solving all those fucking bullshit aighaegjahf fights forever. I just used it to great effect for Trish vs Savior.

Also, for the laser cannon form, at least on Trish it's now free aim before firing rather than just vertical.

SO NICE.

Vergil is awesome.
    Having a just frame judgement cut is a given.
    Can he multiple judgment cuts? I liked being able to do up to three.
    No biggy if you can't just would have been nice.

edited June 2015
    The old trick up, trick towards and trick back system is gone, unless you are in devil trigger. Then you can table hopper and trick back endlessly.
    Otherwise his teleport works like this.

If summoned sword is embedded in enemy, pressing style button teleports you to them. There's no limit to the number of times you can do this as long as a sword is embedded in them and it means you can follow them in the air. This overrides all other uses of the style button. This acts as an animation cancel similar to jump cancelling, only super easy. If you are above them mid air he auto tricks down.
    If summoned sword is NOT embedded in enemy AND you do not have the lock on button pressed it will trick up.
    If lock on button is pressed it will shoot a summoned sword to an enemy and then teleport to them. This means your teleport is limited by the travel time of the summoned sword. Making it useless for emergency evasion.
    If you teleport in place the animation is so fast you can't use this for i frames, because it'll basically teleport into the middle frames of the attack.

Your only defensive moves are roll, jump and dt trick down/side.

Kind of lame.
    Even DmC vergil kept his trick down and trick back in normal form.
    DMC3 se vergil could teleport in place and it had decent i frames, at least as much as a jump. The new one is much too fast and unreliable to boot since it has the summoned sword limitation. Nothing like pressing dodge and you end up shooting the enemy and get hit.

They basically gutted his defence to allow for brain dead easy mid air cancelling.
    I mean, the fact that you can do this is cool. But jesus don't take out trick back outside of DT. That's just stupid. There's attacks in this game you need some form of evasion to get through. Like berials super aoe if you are too close when he starts. Jumping wont let you avoid it, rolling is really difficult.
    Nero can use shuffle to i frame through it and because he only has one weapon it means its always available. If it was tied to a specific weapon and he could switch to a weapon without it it'd be really bad for him too.

Vergil is basically all offense. Super hardcore mode. Heavily nerfed defence.
    Preferred dmc3 version. The summoned sword thing is alright as an option, but replacing his entire system with it outside of devil trigger is incredibly aggravating. I loved teleporting in place or backwards just out of reach then unleashing a judgement cut.

Morninglord on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

They can both be used for offense and really high level play uses both of them, but in terms of someone not comfortable with the game trickster is much more forgiving.

I definitely agree. Trickster is a lot more forgiving, I just never viewed it as a defensive thing. Then again, I don't think of too many things as defensive. "Oh, we're fighting sword and board? Sure, I'll just use my shield edge to rip your shield out of the way or just bash you with it."

I'm very much a "I have a plan, attack" kinda guy. :biggrin:

wWuzwvJ.png
    The old trick up, trick towards and trick back system is gone, unless you are in devil trigger. Then you can table hopper and trick back endlessly.

If summoned sword is embedded in enemy, pressing style button teleports you to them. There's no limit to the number of times you can do this as long as a sword is embedded in them and it means you can follow them in the air. This overrides all other uses of the style button. This acts as an animation cancel similar to jump cancelling, only super easy. If you are above them mid air he auto tricks down.
    If summoned sword is NOT embedded in enemy AND you do not have the lock on button pressed it will trick up.
    If lock on button is pressed it will shoot a summoned sword to an enemy and then teleport to them. This means your teleport is limited by the travel time of the summoned sword. Making it useless for emergency evasion.
    If you teleport in place the animation is so fast you can't use this for i frames, because it'll basically teleport into the middle frames of the attack.

Kind of lame.
    DMC3 se vergil could teleport in place and it had decent i frames, at least as much as a jump. The new one is much too fast and unreliable to boot since it has the summoned sword limitation. Nothing like pressing dodge and you end up shooting the enemy and get hit.

They basically gutted his defence to allow for brain dead easy mid air cancelling.
    I mean, the fact that you can do this is cool. But jesus don't take out trick back outside of DT. That's just stupid. There's attacks in this game you need some form of evasion to get through. Like berials super aoe if you are too close when he starts. Jumping wont let you avoid it, rolling is really difficult.
    Nero can use shuffle to i frame through it and because he only has one weapon it means its always available. If it was tied to a specific weapon and he could switch to a weapon without it it'd be really bad for him too.

Preferred dmc3 version. The summoned sword thing is alright as an option, but replacing his entire system with it outside of devil trigger is incredibly aggravating. I loved teleporting in place or backwards just out of reach then unleashing a judgement cut.

I too really liked the DMC3 version where you could just lol teleport. I abused that to no end.

But it's also probably why they decided to shift it.

And if you want to badass teleport managing DT shifts to do it defensively isn't that bad.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Coming to this from DmC I'm surprised by just how much Resident Evil DNA this game has. I know the first game was originally an RE game and all but I didn't expect all these fixed camera angles, backtracking and rooster keys.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    edited June 2015

Kind of lame.

I too really liked the DMC3 version where you could just lol teleport. I abused that to no end.

But it's also probably why they decided to shift it.

And if you want to badass teleport managing DT shifts to do it defensively isn't that bad.

Yeah don't try to wing this as a good thing. They done fucked up bad.
    Vergil's teleport was short ranged and you had to be precise.
    Dante can freely dash as much as he likes and it has much greater utility.
    The problem is enemy attacks are randomised. I've had berial do his aoe twice in quick succession. If I've avoided the first with dt, then dropped out of dt and don't have any available...
    It's made worse because vergil auto teleports to berials head, so if you are constantly teleport cancelling to berials head, you have to drop to the ground first to get out of the aoe or jump off his head away from him, neither of which get you away from him in time, especially since vergil can't double jump to cover more ground.
    It isn't a matter of management. It's a matter of "sometimes it's not your fault".
    In a game series with this pedigree, that's lazy.

He's still really strong. He could just be so much more. This series has never been about balancing. It's always been about player control and absurd levels of power limited only by player skill. They just lifted the summoned sword thing from DmC without considering that even in DmC he could still do his old abilities.

Plus you can't even teleport up helm breaker over and over to replicate his dmc3 boss attacks. That's practically a crime.

oh and anyone who wants to upgrade your proud souls quick, go to legendary dark knight level 2 and repeat it over and over. Don't worry if you die, or if you keep dying on berial or anything like that. You'll get 10k on a bad run and 25k+ on a good run. And enough red orbs to buy all your buyable life and dt orbs, which carry over to all characters. I've got all vergils shit now.
    You can also refund proud souls on one character and use them to buy skills in another. So I nigh instantly had a maxed out lady.

Morninglord on
    Good, it's not just me then. LDK Berial as Vergil was fuckin' hard.

Lady on the other hand, can demolish bosses with her Kali Ann and crazy strong shotgun. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    He uses DT to avoid the aoe...
    Like, I already know you can DT to avoid the aoe. You can also DT with Nero to avoid the aoe. Just I-frame straight through it.
    The problem is that it makes DT required and DT is not always available. Which means its possible to be in a situation where you do not have it and cannot avoid it.
    No other character has a basic defensive ability locked away behind their super mode. It isn't like the DT ability wouldn't be an upgrade anyway even if he just had a basic teleport with high recovery frames like it used to.
    Dante can dash unlimited in DT as well with no recovery or cooldown compared to normal. It should have been like that.
    I would have been happy with a table hopper style version where you have to press the button at the last second. Anything.
    It doesn't make the character unusable or anything, you can work around it, but the point that makes it a problem is that you have to use a workaround.
    Not being able to teleport trick down or up on command also limits his combo potential rather drastically. It's cool being able to teleport straight to them but there are setups and animation catches that you can't do because you can't get down or up fast enough. Can't even trick up without lock on if your summoned sword is embedded. He'll just teleport straight to them anyway.
    He could have been so much more.

Morninglord on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I just think it's curious. Back when it first came out, the only online community I was on was Devil's Lair forums - it's a neat site that's still up, I've even been using it to find Blue Orbs. ;P

And yeah, they were all on board too. Always thought of it as an open secret. To suddenly find there's this big chunk of people that just straight up do not believe it because it's never explicitly said in game is nuts.
    Dante even says he needs to keep Yamato in the family, then leaves it with Nero! C'mon!

Because never doubt the power of groupthink when it comes to general gamers. I remember back when MGS3 was first announced. NO THAT'S NOT BIG BOSS! IT HAS TO BE SNAKE! Even though it was stunningly obvious it was Big Boss due to game being set in the 60s.

edited June 2015
    Yo @Morninglord and @surrealitycheck y'all mentioned some way of defeating DMD Dante no problem, but didn't actually spell out what it was. I'm halfway through Bloody Palace, and woefully unprepared! What is ze trick to defeat Dante? D:

ed: I did it! WHOO. Relied pretty heavily on Charge Shot and Buster tho. No idea how I'm gonna do it as the others. :P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    Trish has an easy kill vs Bloody Palace Dante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOSi6CaTT9g&feature=youtu.be

Trouble is I suck at Trish, getting to him would be the problem. :P

Oh brilliant