As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Speaking or the Focus RS

http://jalopnik.com/zany-2016-ford-focus-rs-rated-at-345-horsepower-1713908856

Yeah, now to see if my dealership will offer X-plan on this through my company, and if I can afford an over $30,000 car. Because gat damn!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hate to break it to you, but Ford almost never lets its halo cars out the door with any kind of discount. GT500s never got it, I don't know if the BOSSs ever got it or not. I can guarantee you the GT350 isn't going to get any. I wouldn't get my hopes up for X-plan for an RS.

Yeah my hopes aren't high.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Ok my hopes are a little high. I could afford a Fiesta RS if one ever materializes and is AWD.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So there is an informal challenge currently out between three of the most popular car shows, Roadkill and Mighty Car Mods (Youtube) and Gas Monkey Garage (Discovery channel).

Mighty Car Mods and Roadkill have been communicating online and expressing interest, and the head guy from GMG has come out publicly and said "who is Roadkill"...

Roadkill is the second side project (the other is Drag Week) of the Editor in Chief (David Freiburger) of HOT ROD MAGAZINE, to give you some sort of idea.

The co-host of Roadkill (also a senior editor at HRM) is Mike Finnegan, a young dude that has already forgotten more about cars and engines than the GMG guy has ever known.

edited June 2015
    I'm sorry, I was distracted by a day dream of a crossover episode of MCM and Roadkill.

Who the fuck is Gas Monkey Garage?

Edit: Added appropriate level of swearing for the question.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Three of my favorite (albeit all rather different) coming together to do something? Sounds awesome.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Speaking or the Focus RS

http://jalopnik.com/zany-2016-ford-focus-rs-rated-at-345-horsepower-1713908856

Yeah, now to see if my dealership will offer X-plan on this through my company, and if I can afford an over $30,000 car. Because gat damn!

I'm pretty curious what they're going to sell for. A loaded new ST is 30,320 in my area. 35k? 40k? 40 seems a bit much, even for an enthusiast vehicle.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    So I wired in the new head unit and amp into my car, currently using the old speakers until I get back from trip in three weeks and have some time to make a speaker box for the front one and can put something together to mount the rears without hacking things up too much.

Issue is that the audio cuts out after being on for [period of time that varies]. Sometimes it will come back after a power off/on, other times it will cut back in by itself. What's the likelyhood of this being shitty wiring vs old speakers? The power to both the amp and the head unit is not cutting out, they are remaining on throughout. In theory it could be a speaker wire grounding out, but I reused the old rear speaker wires (they were fine on the old unit..) and the fronts is just in a coil dangling until I sort that out. So far the plan is to press on regardless with the speaker install when I get back and hope that it's just that something doesn't like the old rears, because hey.. live in hope and all that.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9d-HhblD0

This'll give you some Goodwood...

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Dang, the GT350R sounds awesome.

Man, there are so many good cars coming out in the near future. Such a good time to be a driver.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Sitting by the phone
    Typing out a stanza
    Hanging out at home
    Waiting for my Venza

Considered writing up a quatrain
    All about the drivetrain,
    Instead made a refrain
    Waiting for my Venza

Made internal rhyme, just to pass the time
    Forgive me for my crime
    At least I’m not a mime
    Waiting for my Venza

Looked at a Crosstour
    Considered a Sienna
    But instead I chose to be
    Waiting for my Venza

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Krieghund wrote: »

Yep, flat-plane V8s sound so much meaner than cross-plane crank engines.

EDIT: The GT350R (and rumoured GT500R) has an all new 5.2 litre V8 that is fundamentally different in construction from the 5.0 and 5.8 litre models they fit to other Mustangs and Shelbys. It uses what's called a flat-plane crank, which is a design that minimises weight of the crankshaft and allows the engine to rev harder, for a slight reduction in low-RPM torque output. Flat-plane crank V8s are a little rougher and harsher in operation than cross-plane cranks, which is why you don't usually see them on the road outside of TVRs and Ferraris/Maseratis.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Krieghund wrote: »

Yep, flat-plane V8s sound so much meaner than cross-plane crank engines.

EDIT: The GT350R (and rumoured GT500R) has an all new 5.2 litre V8 that is fundamentally different in construction from the 5.0 and 5.8 litre models they fit to other Mustangs and Shelbys. It uses what's called a flat-plane crank, which is a design that minimises weight of the crankshaft and allows the engine to rev harder, for a slight reduction in low-RPM torque output. Flat-plane crank V8s are a little rougher and harsher in operation than cross-plane cranks, which is why you don't usually see them on the road outside of TVRs and Ferraris/Maseratis.

Their tolerances from my understanding are also MUCH tighter in regards to balance, and require balance shafts or similar. You can get serious vibration issues in large displacement V8s with flat plane cranks if they aren't designed right. It's usually easier just to slap a turbo or supercharger on a cross plane crank engine. I do have to applaud Ford for their approach. It is bad ass. I mean look at that crank!

8qk404ur326i.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Held on tight to my crenza
    That it would happen soon
    Now ,before the filling of the moon
    I no longer wait for my Venza

:o

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    after DNFing and getting lapped about 50 million times Mazda has finally given up on the diesel racing dream and are switching their endurance cars to gas

they would pretty much cook themselves to death in anything but perfect weather

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I can remember one of their cars ever finishing a race. It was at least an interesting idea trying to keep the engine as close to the road going version as possible.

I had thought about trying to go see the race at Watkins Glen this past weekend, but when I saw the tickets were $75 for Sunday I had to pass. Even if I could have afforded it the weather was so bad that I probably would have had a miserable time.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    whhaaaaaaaaaaat? hearing that F1 just approved free choice of tire compounds next year

thats going to make for some incredibly interesting races. i want to see teams try for the 1-stop dream every race

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Living in the middle of nowhere is great when I don't want to put up with people but sucks when I want to test drive GTIs and WRXs and the local dealers only take in a few each spring and they sell out fast. STIs and Gold Rs are special order only.

For kicks though I took the Figaro to the Nissan dealer and they were confused at best. Like half the staff of a Dodge dealership came over to look at it when I was at VW though. Maybe I should get a Challenger.

Nah don't get a Challenger, they're boats.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Very much joking (but I think they're pretty).

Hellcat all the things. Besides, they're not that bad relative to what they used to be. No sportscar, for sure, but if it's the sort of thing you want, why not?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Hellcat all the things. Besides, they're not that bad relative to what they used to be. No sportscar, for sure, but if it's the sort of thing you want, why not?

Yeah, FCA cars have really increased in quality in recent years. The Challenger is a big, heavy muscle car and that's just fine. I've seen a lot of positive press about the R/T Scat Pack, SRT8, and of course the Hellcat as being able to really hustle around a track/good back road in spite of their weight.

pretty sure the total volume area of the challengers engine bay is larger than my entire car

stupidly oversized

jgeis wrote: »

Yeah, FCA cars have really increased in quality in recent years. The Challenger is a big, heavy muscle car and that's just fine. I've seen a lot of positive press about the R/T Scat Pack, SRT8, and of course the Hellcat as being able to really hustle around a track/good back road in spite of their weight.

Well yes, you can take almost any car and slap stiff suspension, some decent brakes and steamroller tyres under it and it will cut good lap times for its class. Throw in 500+ horsepower and people will start calling them sportscars.

If you want a GM 2 door coupe for less money than a Corvette, you're a lot better served with a Camaro I think.

jgeis wrote: »

Well yes, you can take almost any car and slap stiff suspension, some decent brakes and steamroller tyres under it and it will cut good lap times for its class. Throw in 500+ horsepower and people will start calling them sportscars.

If you want a GM 2 door coupe for less money than a Corvette, you're a lot better served with a Camaro I think.

(the Challenger is not a GM car, it's a Fiat) Again, horses, courses and all that. Not sure what the costing comes out to but I'd probably take a Mustang GT350 given the choice, but 707bhp is had to look past if not just fur dem lulz.

Oh yeah I get confused because the Challenger looks SO MUCH like a bigger fatter Camaro to me.

Out of all the current available crop I would DEFINITELY take the Mustang with the flat-plane crank 5.2 V8. Then put a supercharger on it...

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    The car is not passing its smog check because the OBDII monitors aren't ready. The mechanic said to just drive it for 50 miles or so and they should show "ready", but that didn't work. A little internet sleuthing makes me think I need to do a drive cycle to get these suckers to reset to a "ready" state. Both my fuel system and catalyst monitors are showing "not ready". This might not be related, but I've also got DTCs for system running too rich, throttle position sensor, and MAF sensor.
    The Generic OBD II Drive Cycle below will usually set the necessary emission monitors. This OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F). We recommend achieving this by letting your car cool down overnight, and beginning the drive cycle process the next day. Take extra caution while performing drive cycles on public roadways. Drive cycles can be difficult to follow under normal driving conditions.

Begin by:

- Start the engine. Idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defroster on.

- Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle.

- Hold at a steady speed of 55 mph for three minutes.

- Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch.

- Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle.

- Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.

- Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.

Is this legit? I guess I'll try it tonight after all the cars are off the roads.

640qocnq4ske.gif
    Slightly moist practice laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrOfcwO-Uc

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    OBD drive cycles are a legit thing. I can't say for certain that the described procedure is right, but it looks right.

(The OBD sensors can only test certain things under certain conditions; you can't measure catalyst efficiency until it gets up to temperature, it can't test the evap system for leaks while you're accelerating, etc. So to keep people from driving to the smog test place, resetting the codes in the parking lot, and then driving the car into a bay, those places require the OBD to show that the car has been through at least one full diagnostic drive cycle.)

Steam ID: highentropy
    i once drove a kart in those exact conditions... with slicks

don't know how much water you got on you but I came out 100% soaked to the bone and it was the nastiest smelling water ever

never been so dirty in my life

That's not me in the video, I do wish I had the cart and the opportunity though.

its the most fun I ever had on 4 wheels. very redneck though. you basically couldn't turn, the fastest way around the track was actually to just fender into other carts to turn. quarter throttle all the way down the main straight or death

then trailing someone and getting rooster tailed right in the face the whole lap

That's not me in the video, I do wish I had the cart and the opportunity though.

How much is a used Formula Ford car, anyway? Should we pool our funds?

edited July 2015
    I think a used formula ford is in the area of 20k USD depending on condition

But that's the older conventional chassis that are used in all the SCCA and club racing circuits.. There's a new Formula Ford that is a fucking ecoboost spaceship and I believe it's 90k showroom new

formula-ford-628.jpg

Jasconius on

Tempting, but house first.

Tempting, but house first.

Well yeah, we're gonna need a loungeroom within which to conduct engine and gearbox rebuilds...

Jasconius wrote: »
    I think a used formula ford is in the area of 20k USD depending on condition

But that's the older conventional chassis that are used in all the SCCA and club racing circuits.. There's a new Formula Ford that is a fucking ecoboost spaceship and I believe it's 90k showroom new

formula-ford-628.jpg

You're getting murdered, a kent-powered vehicle in excellent condition costs less than that here: http://www.openwheels.com.au/for-sale-spectrum-010-formula-ford/

As for that "new Formula Ford" promotional vehicle, I haven't read any news of it being picked up for actual FF championships, most clubs and series seem pretty happy with the current newest version of the cars.

that's not that much off depending on the exchange rate.. 18KUSD

i wonder how long the motors can run before they have to be rebuilt

This discussion has been closed.