As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Final Fantasy 12 Together - Week 12. Bahamut.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Tip for people who are starting early/have extra time in the first week or so: Vaan's level will dictate Balthier and Fran's levels when you get them. So if you level Vaan a lot, Balthier and Fran will match his level. I think.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Can you remind us of the chests we are not supposed to open so we can get the good weapon?

Week 1
    Lowtown south sprawl, just outside of Old Dalan's place.

Week 2
    In the Royal Palace's cellar, southeast corner. (It contains an elixir).

Week 3
    Nalbina Dungeons' Confiscatory (where you recover your equipment). The southernmost chest that sits in the middle of three. (It contains gil).

Week 7
    Phon Coast. There are sixteen chests in a 4 by 4 placement. It's safest to skip opening all of these, because one of them is the relevant No Touch chest. They don't have great things in them anyway. :P

I'll try to remember to post each caution at the start of each week.

I can't recall when the best time to go raid for the spear is. I definitely did a crazy underlevelled rush for it, which was hilariously nervewracking

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Is this not on Steam yet?

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It will probably never be on Steam unless Square makes a PS2 FF collection

dN0T6ur.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    But 13 is on Steam! And as I found, 13 sucks

Olivaw wrote: »
    The only reason I could stand Fran's terrible anime design was because Fran as a character was awesome

She was the Chewie to Balthier's Han and I loved that their dynamic was always platonic

(At least as far as I got in the game)

Fran was Samara before Samara was, really

dN0T6ur.png
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So just bought FFXII on Amazon, greatest hits version.

Now to test my PS2.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I'll have to see if I can't dig out my old ps2, this is probably my favorite ff that I haven't beaten :)

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Shame the Jobs version of the game was never brought over. I like the game but I tend to freeze up when a game just gives me an open sandbox when it comes to character customization and says "Here you go. Try not to screw up your characters' build too badly!".

Owenashi wrote: »
    Shame the Jobs version of the game was never brought over. I like the game but I tend to freeze up when a game just gives me an open sandbox when it comes to character customization and says "Here you go. Try not to screw up your characters' build too badly!".

Its impossible to screw up the characters in the original game. Everyone can do everything.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Best bet is to just never open any chests. They never really hold anything that compelling anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Renzo texted me about this. FFXII and I have a deep love/hate relationship and need each other. I'm in.

Excited to play it again since being letdown by the lack of HD re-release at e3.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope that this will be their next HD remaster so we can finally get the IZJS

Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm still holding out hope that this will be their next HD remaster so we can finally get the IZJS

Yeah I'm hopeful, and given that they announced FFVII remake, I can understand not announcing it even if they're gonna release it. Still, it's the one game I really want to be remastered because how amazing and beautiful the art design and direction is in the game.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I remember REALLY enjoying FF12 when I played it.

Dunno if I'll actually have time to play this with everyone but I'll try.

edited June 2015
    Thing I just noticed about the intro: Within the span of a minute or two, these place names are mentioned for the first time:

Nabradia
    Nabudis
    Nalbina

Nabradia is the the country to Dalmasca's east.

Nabudis is a city (seemingly the capitol) in Nabradia. Like Rabanastre in Dalmasca.

Nalbina is a fortress at the border of Dalmasca and Nabradia.

This isn't confusing at all...

Renzo on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Oh man, I love FFXII, but my PS2 is long gone by now.
    I shall just follow along with my vague memories if how things go down I guess.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Huh.... I might be down for this.

Never got the izjs version. Maybe I'll play that untranslated for extra confusion.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    @SCREECH OF THE FARG Let's say I aim to play the IZJS

What exactly do I need to know about when I'm picking jobs? Does it lay my eventual options out in front of me? Is it relatively easy to get decent coverage for black, white, status, and time magick?

dN0T6ur.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    you can preview all the boards when choosing a class for a character. its not very hard to get decent coverage, no. classes like red mage and time mage have good coverage, enough that its possible to forgo a dedicated black/white magic user if you wanna.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Hm yes good excellent

Are Fran and Balthier still the worst archer and gunner respectively

dN0T6ur.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yup

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Fair warning about ZJS: each job has certain licenses locked on an unconnected part of the board. These are reached by using summons as bridges. So getting to one section as X could lock out another section on Y because you can't have a summon on more than one person.

Something to think about that I didn't find till much later in my character building. Wasn't exactly a super great surprise! Though easy enough to work with if you know ahead of time.

steam_sig.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hm yes good excellent

That is

So weird

Like, I know why that happens.

I just don't understand how that shit could slip past.

IKknkhU.gif
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hm yes good excellent

That is

So weird

Like, I know why that happens.

I just don't understand how that shit could slip past.

It's 1.6 seconds to fire vs 1.4 seconds, not a big deal at all.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    That reminds me, each party member has unique attack animations for each weapon type. I'm trying to find a weapon type that makes Penelo look like anything but a bumbling doofus, and I'm having some trouble. Swords and daggers look goofy.

Fran's katana animations are awesome, and Basch's bow idle stance is pretty cool too.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    IZJS should be here by Wednesday, I gues this is as good a time as any to beat this game

Also
    Will there be a second part of the FFXII playthrough that has everyone play Revenant Wings

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    There can be if you want one but I will not be running it myself. You can feel free to lead people in a follow-up playthrough if you like!

dN0T6ur.png
    I might be in for that, but I would need some coaching. I have RW, but I never got past the first few levels.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    That reminds me, each party member has unique attack animations for each weapon type. I'm trying to find a weapon type that makes Penelo look like anything but a bumbling doofus, and I'm having some trouble. Swords and daggers look goofy.

Fran's katana animations are awesome, and Basch's bow idle stance is pretty cool too.

I think I had her using staves (whacking staves not magic ones) and I seem to recall that being alright

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
    Penelo was definitely my monkey king bar user. It was probably the best animation I could find. At first she was my zodiac spear user but it just struck me as kind of derpy.

steam_sig.png

Shield and Mace brah. I always use that combo with her.

When I played it the first time, my endgame party was Basch, Balthier, and Fran. So I think I'll roll with Vaan, Penelo, and Ashe this time just for variety. I'll defnitely check out Poles, Staves, and Maces with Penelo. Maybe Axes and Handbombs, too, just to see how beefy I can make her.

Man, this game has so many weapon types I never really used the first time.

Another tidbit: Right as you approach Old Dalan's place for the second time to complete the goal for the first week, Penelo will leave your party. So maybe hold off on visiting Old Dalan that second time and instead go do some hunts with Vaan and Penelo.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Dammit

*signs up*

Those last weeks are gonna be hell what with hunting all the things and making tournesol and yiazmat and basically the entire damn sky pirate's den (except the quickening one fuck that)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Dammit

*signs up*

Those last weeks are gonna be hell what with hunting all the things and making tournesol and yiazmat and basically the entire damn sky pirate's den (except the quickening one fuck that)

It doesn't have to be a 100% playthrough if you don't want it to be. I'm keeping my 96hr end-of-game save file from 2006 just in case I can't kill the final boss on this playthrough.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Should be getting the game today, haven't had a chance to test my PS2 out, so ill see how that goes this evening.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

Shield, Axe, and Berserk on Bash. It's hilarious.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Is there a good walkthough to follow for this (how to build characters/gambits and how to deal with certain bosses accordingly)

I tried several times to play through 12, but I always stonewalled somewhere or spent so much time grinding to continue that I gave up

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Dammit

*signs up*

It doesn't have to be a 100% playthrough if you don't want it to be. I'm keeping my 96hr end-of-game save file from 2006 just in case I can't kill the final boss on this playthrough.

The great wyrm must fall. Besides, I've only done that once and I can't resist going for every last bit of FFs. I loved that fight because there was nothing else like it before in the series, just a grand battle.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBERG!

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBERG!

I'M BASCH FON RONSENBERG OF DALMASCA!

I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!