As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hellboy: Sword of Storms

2»

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    I thought it was more of a nose stud than a ring. Surely I'm not the only one that's seen these.

Anyway, the movie was excellent. The animation was crisp and fluid, the story was interesting, and all of the characters were great. Ron Perlman gave a fantastic performance, as usual- he did a fantastic job portraying Hellboy: light hearted and jaded about what he does, but sensitive enough to tell dangerous and delicate situations and to treat them accordingly.

On that note- Hellboy is a relatively unknown property to me. I've seen the movie, and read some of the comics online (on the Playboy website, believe it or not), but I'm not as immersed in the world as some people here are. That being said: is Hellboy always so unflappable? The guy sounded like he sees this kind of thing every goddamn day of the week. Which he probably does, but I wonder if the comics convey a similar tone.

Also there was romantic tension all over the place.
    I am not a huge HellBoy reader, but from what I have read, yes, he is always pretty unflappable.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, Liz and Abe had great banter. I'm not even a big Hellboy fan or anything, but I really enjoyed this. I was sort of surprised when the characters got to actually shoot holes in things with their guns, and genuinely hurt the antagonists. I've gotten used to watching American cartoons where only robots (no matter how sentient they may be) can be hacked apart indiscriminately.

Munch on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Man, Liz and Abe had great banter. I'm not even a big Hellboy fan or anything, but I really enjoyed this. I was sort of surprised when the characters got to actually shoot holes in things with their guns, and genuinely hurt the antagonists. I've gotten used to watching American cartoons where only robots (no matter how sentient they may be) can be hacked apart indiscriminately.
    Seriously. Hellboy was having some Samurai Jack moments there.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I guess I was just following this more than most, but I don't know why any of you should be surprised it was this good. Mignola and Del Toro were both pretty involved in putting together the team that made this. The director/supervisor was Tad Stones who created Darkwing Duck, and worked on Atlantis and about a hundred other awesome Disney-related things.

Now I just wish I could watch the dang thing, but Canada LOL.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    " Think again, dumb ass. Cause now I'm pissed."

I love Ron Pealmen so much.

Bloods End on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    oh crap

did i miss it

is it on the internet

Knob on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't understand why there isn't going to be an encore. They did the same thing with JLU, damnit.

robosagogo on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Who did the animation for this? Looks familiar.
    Maybe it was that Korean studio that did Jackie Chan Adventures, the new TMNT cartoon, and The Batman.

TM2 Rampage on
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I giggled every time Hellboy said "Oh, crap."

Oh, and did I miss something, or did they leave Abe and Liz on the rocks? I don't think we saw them get off.

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Knob wrote:
    oh crap

did i miss it

is it on the internet

theyll probably add clips of this to youtube in about 2 days

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited October 2006
    on the internet?

Knob on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    sullijo wrote:

Oh, and did I miss something, or did they leave Abe and Liz on the rocks? I don't think we saw them get off.
    Well, with the monsters vanquished they probably get communications restored and are airlifted out later.

Anyway, I thought it was a good movie. Pretty good acting on everyone's part, and the onslaught of Japanese folklore made things interesting.

"Don't stand near the tree!"
    "......"
    "...It's common sense."

"I feel like I'm in a cartoon!"

SpeedySwaf on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    I guess I was just following this more than most, but I don't know why any of you should be surprised it was this good. Mignola and Del Toro were both pretty involved in putting together the team that made this. The director/supervisor was Tad Stones who created Darkwing Duck, and worked on Atlantis and about a hundred other awesome Disney-related things.

Now I just wish I could watch the dang thing, but Canada LOL.
    Well, shit.

Darkwing Duck.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just watched it. Awesome, except for the computer graphic of the swirling stormclouds.

skippydumptruck on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Knob wrote:
    on the internet?

first tube from the right

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, I really need to see this, but really don't have cable.

august on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    august wrote:
    Yeah, I really need to see this, but really don't have cable.

No cable? Gross.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited October 2006
    sullijo wrote:

I think the more important issue is [spoiler:bc5da4952b]when Abe and Liz only cared about rescuing themselves from the crash, never checked for the pilots, and then later radioed that the pilots "didn't make it."[/spoiler:bc5da4952b]

TM2 Rampage on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    so why is it that all the mosters and zombies were done in mignola style but the rest of the characters were done in anime style?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    so why is it that all the mosters and zombies were done in mignola style but the rest of the characters were done in anime style?

That wasn't really anime style....

Sars_Boy on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:

yeah i know i just couldnt really describe it any other way, the big almond shaped eyes dont fit liz at all

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:

yeah i know i just couldnt really describe it any other way, the big almond shaped eyes dont fit liz at all
    Maybe they wanted it to fit in with the rest of the Toonami block?

Was this meant as a possible precursor to an ongoing animated series?

robosagogo on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    sullijo wrote:

I think the more important issue is [spoiler:6355687ba4]when Abe and Liz only cared about rescuing themselves from the crash, never checked for the pilots, and then later radioed that the pilots "didn't make it."[/spoiler:6355687ba4]
    They had to eat something while waiting for rescue.

see317 on
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    dlinfiniti wrote:

Maybe they wanted it to fit in with the rest of the Toonami block?

Was this meant as a possible precursor to an ongoing animated series?

One more movie is on the way. Depending on well they do, possibly more.

august on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    see317 wrote:
    sullijo wrote:

I think the more important issue is [spoiler:1e030df6c7]when Abe and Liz only cared about rescuing themselves from the crash, never checked for the pilots, and then later radioed that the pilots "didn't make it."[/spoiler:1e030df6c7]
    They had to eat something while waiting for rescue.
    [spoiler:1e030df6c7]Didn't the plain plow nose-first into the seabed? I don't think the pilots would have survived that, even if they hadn't been electrocuted, which we the audience clearly saw was the case.

Plus, they were in several hundred feet of water, with nothing in the way of oxygen supplies; this obviously won't bother Abe, but any air-breather is pretty much fucked after a crash like that. Liz could certainly have drowned before they reached the surface if Abe's Burp of Life hadn't worked.[/spoiler:1e030df6c7]

Also, who was that Katie chick? Is she in the comics too? I'm going to assume so.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    tsplitter wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    oh crap

did i miss it

is it on the internet

darn it

i missed it too

DouglasDanger on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    tsplitter wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    oh crap

did i miss it

is it on the internet

darn it

i missed it too
    I just live in Canada.

:(

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Also, who was that Katie chick? Is she in the comics too? I'm going to assume so.

She's voiced by Roz from Frasier.

I swear the Mignola universe is to Frasier like what Gargoyles was to Star Trek.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited October 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

She's voiced by Roz from Frasier.

I swear the Mignola universe is to Frasier like what Gargoyles was to Star Trek.
    I guess that's good to know, but I meant 'who is she in the comics'?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited October 2006
    Uhm, I think she's just another BPRD person and has accompanied Hellboy on some adventures and stuff in the comics.

On an unrelated note...
    Spoiler about Sword of Storms
    [spoiler:1593bda3c1]I got reaaaallll tired looking at that possessed Asian guy's face.[/spoiler:1593bda3c1]

TM2 Rampage on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Uhm, I think she's just another BPRD person and has accompanied Hellboy on some adventures and stuff in the comics.

Kate Corrigan, she's around alot but doesn't really do anything important besides act as a confidant for Hellboy. Although she was one of the main characters in "The Wolves of St. August"

That's all I really remember, haven't looked at my Hellboy stuff in a while. And I don't have any BPRD, so I don't know what she's up to in that book if she's even in it.

Skullo on
    edited October 2006
    oh shit, they put kate in it?

goddamned awesome

Knob on
    edited October 2006
    Skullo wrote:
    That's all I really remember, haven't looked at my Hellboy stuff in a while. And I don't have any BPRD, so I don't know what she's up to in that book if she's even in it.

Kate is in BPRD where she kicks ass and takes names.

Also, BPRD is fucking awesome, you need to catch up on it STAT.

august on
  • yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Does anyone know the names to the folk tales they reference? So far, the only one I could find is the Kappa (the water demon thing).

yourspaceholiday on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are they going to be replaying this?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Does anyone know the names to the folk tales they reference? So far, the only one I could find is the Kappa (the water demon thing).
    Gashadokuro, Tsuchigumo, and Tsukumogami are the ones I could find.

SpeedySwaf on
  • KevarKevar regular
    edited November 2006
    holy shit this movie was awesome

so many references to the comic

I loved to see katie/hellboy paired up for a mission. I thought it would draw mostly from the movie. (which was also good)

Kevar on
    edited January 2007
    So IGN's got an interview up with Tad Stones, beloved by all for his creation of Darkwing Duck and the principle director of these Hellboy movies. Sword of Storms is out on DVD February 6th, by the way, so you faggots had better all be buying it.

This caught my eye: talking about the next one, Blood and Iron.
    Hellboy as "Mutts." Wait, that's something else. Blood and Iron is closer to the Hellboy fans are used to - vampires, werewolves, witches and ancient Greek goddesses. Good stuff. The tone is more grim and more emotional. Mike has said Sword of Storms is a really good story but Blood and Iron is a great story. It's Guillermo's favorite too. This is definitely not one for your little brother and sister. It's also much more ambitious in what we attempted. I'm sure I'll get arthritis from crossing my fingers so hard.

Harrier on