As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Witness the [Movie] Thread! It lives! It dies! It lives again!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I liked Noon and never saw Knights

John Wayne? That's a terrible cowboy name

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I like Jackie Chan in basically anything and everything he does

One of the most entertaining screen presences of all time for me

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Just imagine if Jurassic Park had a strong female protagonist like Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron) from Prometheus in it.

So a career-minded woman whose main motivation is "love me, daddy?" That sounds kind of on par with the complaints. :)

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I like Jackie Chan in basically anything and everything he does

One of the most entertaining screen presences of all time for me

oh, ditto, my main complaint with his Hollywood movies is there's not enough Chan and too much of those other bozos.

That said, I watched one Jackie Chan movie that was really genuinely terrible. Not terribad and funny, just bad. I can't remember what it was called, and I can't even find it on imdb. It was a low-budget, early 80s cheesily sappy H-K romantic 'comedy'. I don't even think there were any fights in it. Lotta high-pitched wailing though.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I watched the robocop remake

that was intensely disappointing

It's a perfectly serviceable action movie.

But nothing more.

I mostly enjoyed it, but the ending was really not the climax it was trying to be.

Sam Jackson's scenes were a nice touch.

I really disagree

nearly every action scene (except the one with him fighting 209's and the one with him on the motorcycle) was super boring, and the main actor was INCREDIBLY terrible

it also was something I hate which is "satire without jokes"

like the sam jackson stuff was supposed to be a send up of bill o reiley but it wasn't funny or well thought out

bleh

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Total Recall just started on TV. Did anyone tell Goldsmith his theme starts out sounding pretty much exactly like Anvil of Crom?

Also, credit where it's due: edited for content included the bystander on the escalator that he uses as a human shield. Nine times out of ten, "content" is sex and swearing, but the violence and gore stays in.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Total Recall just started on TV. Did anyone tell Goldsmith his theme starts out sounding pretty much exactly like Anvil of Crom?

Also, credit where it's due: edited for content included the bystander on the escalator that he uses as a human shield. Nine times out of ten, "content" is sex and swearing, but the violence and gore stays in.

This is the reboot of Total recall?
    I only saw it once on tv and thought wow it sucks

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The Sam Jackson scenes in Robocop were the only parts I actively disliked, actually. If anything, he wasn't acting nearly enough like a pompous blowhard to accurately emulate or satirize Bill O'Reilly, and him dropping the "Motherfucker" at the end really just felt like pandering. He's Sam Jackson, of course he says "Motherfucker", the filmmakers think. It didn't really work though.

The rest of the movie had little problems here and there, especially the end sequence, but overall I enjoyed it. It was more of a psychological exploration of what would happen to a person in that situation than the over the top dumb gorefest of the original. But then, I don't like the original so that's where my point of view is coming from. It had no expectations from me that it had to live up to.

Aistan on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like the penultimate line of robocop because the old man cares enough to ask robocop what his name is

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I liked Noon and never saw Knights

Knights is very bad, and I like Noon

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    To anyone inclined to watch such things, if you didn't know already:
    Michel Gondry interviewed Noam Chomsky and overlaid the audio with animation
    It's on Netflix and it's called "Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy?"

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just watched Big Trouble in Little China for the first time in probably ~20 years.

It hold ups.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    whoops wrong thread!

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    RoboCop had some interesting ideas , but it didn't really do anything profound with them.

Speaking of interesting ideas, saw Kingsman today. That, too, started interesting but turned to shit in the end. Like at least the whole last 30 minutes are just gak and it's topped up with a real turd at the end.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Finally saw John Wick (it's on HBO now). Good stuff.
    He's just so... methodical. Shoots everyone in the head or the stomach three times and then the head. Guy he just ran over? Shoots him through the damn car roof.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Jesus, Samuel L. Jackson's introduction in Django Unchained is ... well, it's certainly a thing, isn't it?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Alright, lets check out this Nightcrawler I've heard so much about.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    jake gyllenhaal in nightcrawler is basically your ideal self, zonugal

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    He's just so... methodical. Shoots everyone in the head or the stomach three times and then the head. Guy he just ran over? Shoots him through the damn car roof.
    Sounds almost like a Mozambique Drill.

b1ehrMM.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Sounds almost like a Mozambique Drill.
    a.k.a. Failure Drill

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Jesus, Samuel L. Jackson's introduction in Django Unchained is ... well, it's certainly a thing, isn't it?

That look, that look he gives to Django when he first sees him...

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Honestly, the first action scene it happened, I went, holy shit this is brutal.

Then it happened to everyone in the next scene, and it was still kinda entertaining.

But then it was the same thing in everything scene and it just made the action scenes by the end of the movie seem a bit samey.

Lou Bloom wrote:
    Do you know what fear stands for? False Evidence Appearing Real

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Watching Gymkata tonight!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    lou straight up quoting gary busey was the second i fell in love with nightcrawler

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I swear I could have sobbed about three different times during Inside Out if I had let myself

that movie does not play fair

one little thing
    did anybody else expect Sadness to rescue Joy and Bing Bong from the Memory Chasm? that "long-term memory retrieval" manual that Sadness was reading seemed like it would be a Checkov's Gun for that situation. I kind of think Sadness ought to have had a more active role in the climax.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I swear I could have sobbed about three different times during Inside Out if I had let myself

that movie does not play fair

one little thing
    did anybody else expect Sadness to rescue Joy and Bing Bong from the Memory Chasm? that "long-term memory retrieval" manual that Sadness was reading seemed like it would be a Checkov's Gun for that situation. I kind of think Sadness ought to have had a more active role in the climax.
    I think that needed to be Bing Bong's moment

Joy and Sadness were only ever Reily, so when Joy gave over the reins to Sadness it worked for me really well

dN0T6ur.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Finally got to see Jurrasic World.

Was good, had fun.

Dinosaurs are cool.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Honestly, the first action scene it happened, I went, holy shit this is brutal.

Then it happened to everyone in the next scene, and it was still kinda entertaining.

But then it was the same thing in everything scene and it just made the action scenes by the end of the movie seem a bit samey.
    I only remember the attack on his house and the club scene having the close range gunplay.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Jurassic World

no that was not any better than 2 and 3, come on you guys why did you get my hopes up

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, so some of you may remember me admitting about a month ago that I've never actually watched Terminator 2.

I, uh... still haven't.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Terminator 2 is a genuine blockbuster action movie that is incredibly solid.

The original still has more flaws, but I like it more as it is written more as a action horror movie.

edited June 2015
    Okay, nearly three hours long, but that was a fucking intense movie; if anyone can pull off a blaxploitation western, it's Tarantino.

edit:

This has to be the foulest blasphemy that is also hysterical:
    Oh, you son of a bitch! Oh, you motherfucker! Oh, sweet Jesus, let me kill this n*****!

Darth Waiter on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    My brother is basically holding me hostage this week at some point until I've watched T2 in its entirety.

I think we might throw in T1 also. I've actually watched it, but that was over 15 years ago.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Okay, nearly three hours long, but that was a fucking intense movie; if anyone can pull off a blaxploitation western, it's Tarantino.

It's a hell of a movie, yeah.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?"

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I liked Django better on a second viewing, when I knew what to expect from the third act
    The first time around I was really grooving to it and then that plot just takes a turn and slows way the hell down and took me right out of it

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it's really easy to tell that django was supposed to be a 2 parter like kill bill

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you go into a Tarintino movie expecting the film to not have a giant portion of characters talking to each other right up to the end of the film...

This discussion has been closed.