As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gay Marriage is now legal in the United States [chat]

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    There's a trend in Melbourne for burger places to use brioche buns

I am not fond of this trend

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    final fantasy iv and vi > chrono trigger because i stubbornly refuse to let a game with toriyama's art style get closer to my heart than literally anything else

I enjoyed all three of those games, but I think of the bunch Chrono Trigger is the one that has aged the best (no pun intended). The story has some actual complexity and interesting turns and decisions, the multiple endings are pretty grand, and no game since has really done a good job of making a weird fantasy time hopping post-apocalyptic setting work.

FF6 does let you suplex a train though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA

the math checks out

also one of the train's moves is "evil toot"

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I am still surprised with the failure of the Russian stuff earlier. Shit is built to fire in like Siberian winter.

SpaceX has a cool idea with the whole landing thing but I think it is adding a lot of complexity to the rocket. And the more complexity you add the higher the chance of failure.
    The Russian stuff has gone to shit. Bunch of failures

Putin is planning on doing a consolidation of all of Russia's space companies into one state controlled company. Given the previous track records for this kind of stuff, I wouldn't expect this problems to be solved soon.

And the will be welded together with the blood of engineers who fail him.

They had big problems with the new solid fuel missiles they developed for sub launch. Supposedly the problems are worked out now they had a tendency to fail in mid-fight. Supposedly we should be seeing the first launches of their new land based ICBM system in the next year but that may be optimistic.

The military nerd in me enjoys watching Russia going to doing what Russia does best.

The IR guy in me just shakes his head at this.

It makes me a little hopeful. This system is slated to replace 80% of their existing launchers. To be fair, we're having similar headaches with modernization of our nuclear weapons. Well less the rockets going boom when they shouldn't but more we're going to have to build new launchers and warhead designs.

It would be a good time to work on reducing armament totals at least. Even if we are modernizing the weapons themselves.

But that would require cooperation I don't believe we will get between the sides anytime soon.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    chrono trigger has the baller Mitsuda repping the OST though

so many good songs from that game

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm playing MGS 2 on the 360, from that HD collection. It has very few changes other than the textures, resolution (now at 720p), and framerate (now at 60). I'm really enjoying it, but Metal Gear gameplay is burnt into my brain. Also, I just beat
    Fatman. I always forget that he skates.

Looking forward to Snake Eater.

I need to play through MGS2 again some time. I was young and dumb when I first played it, so the big twist, of course, made me super angry and I hated the game. If I go back to it, which will hold up better over a long period of time: The game itself, or my questionable taste as a young man?

Spoiler warning: I played MGS2 at a dark time in my life where I also drank Mountain Dew.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Lost Odyssey is a game where the main characters are literally immortal. You give 'em enough turns after they're KO'd they just get the fuck up. It does have kids singing though.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    final fantasy iv and vi > chrono trigger because i stubbornly refuse to let a game with toriyama's art style get closer to my heart than literally anything else

I enjoyed all three of those games, but I think of the bunch Chrono Trigger is the one that has aged the best (no pun intended). The story has some actual complexity and interesting turns and decisions, the multiple endings are pretty grand, and no game since has really done a good job of making a weird fantasy time hopping post-apocalyptic setting work.

the math checks out

Evil

Fucking

Toot

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I am still surprised with the failure of the Russian stuff earlier. Shit is built to fire in like Siberian winter.

SpaceX has a cool idea with the whole landing thing but I think it is adding a lot of complexity to the rocket. And the more complexity you add the higher the chance of failure.

Putin is planning on doing a consolidation of all of Russia's space companies into one state controlled company. Given the previous track records for this kind of stuff, I wouldn't expect this problems to be solved soon.

They had big problems with the new solid fuel missiles they developed for sub launch. Supposedly the problems are worked out now they had a tendency to fail in mid-fight. Supposedly we should be seeing the first launches of their new land based ICBM system in the next year but that may be optimistic.

The military nerd in me enjoys watching Russia going to doing what Russia does best.

It makes me a little hopeful. This system is slated to replace 80% of their existing launchers. To be fair, we're having similar headaches with modernization of our nuclear weapons. Well less the rockets going boom when they shouldn't but more we're going to have to build new launchers and warhead designs.

It would be a good time to work on reducing armament totals at least. Even if we are modernizing the weapons themselves.

But that would require cooperation I don't believe we will get between the sides anytime soon.

I know. But you have to admit, that peace because war is too expensive has a certain wonderful appeal.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I think Chrono Trigger is mechanically superior to FF6, the combo spell system, the ability to avoid many encounters, the boss fights, the time machine mechanic and shit like turning a desert into a forest by going back in time

the characters in FF6 absolutely knock CT out of the park though, but that's because so few of the CT characters have real backstories (like Frog and Robot do, but who else)

Some of the individual environments in CT are amazing though, the flying civilization in 12000 bc for example

override367 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

im down with it

more sugar per berg

this is american-style advance

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Lets talk about the awful american art for Final Fantasy 2

Cecil...not bad

2.jpg

Apparently Rydia is deep into baggy clothes?

4.jpg

Edge is neat

2d94c915e4c9fa18a93fd5f4815eb7c5.jpg

Palom and Porom are creepy creatues of the night apparently

twins.jpg

Yang is all about dat tan

j9pph2.jpg

Kain is well I dont really know
    Kains.jpg

• Options

I know. But you have to admit, that peace because war is too expensive has a certain wonderful appeal.

It requires the assumption we will continue to have rational actors across the board.

Really we are lucky as shit we didn't blow ourselves up through the multiple close calls in the last 50 or so years.

It is kind of the ultimate expression of rational actor theory though. If states are not rational actors well...

nuke-blast.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    god mgs3 was the best

i loved playing that game

the jungle fight music is still one of my favourite tracks

Metal Gear Solid 3 does something really impressive that, while not unique to videogames, works best in them (IMO).

If you play all the MGS games, in order, MGS takes the story and events of the prior two titles and changes them. It doesn't invalidate them, it doesn't cheat and say "lol it was all a dream" or some nonsense, it lets the first two games stand. But it changes the motivation and reasoning and context behind some major characters and major events, and MGS3 retroactively makes MGS and MGS2 better games.

I guess you could say Metal Gear Solid 3 is

pretty Boss.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

the math checks out

Evil

Fucking

Toot

wheres desc and his Dr. Doom toot when you need it

• Options
    rydia chan wat did they do to you

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Woo

Finished off the day by getting to fire a flintlock musket. so fucking cool!

Photos later!
    what game is this?

The most dangerous game.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

im down with it

more sugar per berg

this is american-style advance

Brioche is good for French toast

I have never had a brioche bun burger where I thought anything other than "this bun doesn't feel right and it also falling apart super quick"

I will walk down to my favourite burger place later and grab a decent burg and a jam donut milkshake to satiate the burg gods for this psuedo-heresy

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    simon im afraid kanye is coming for ur phd

KWcGQCY.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I know everyone on the internet wet themselves for the ff7 remake but if they were doing an HD remake of FF6 I'd probably have the same reaction as everyone who cares about Shenmue had

because FF6 is a vastly superior game to FF7

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

It requires the assumption we will continue to have rational actors across the board.

Really we are lucky as shit we didn't blow ourselves up through the multiple close calls in the last 50 or so years.

It is kind of the ultimate expression of rational actor theory though. If states are not rational actors well...

nuke-blast.jpg

I know. Trust me I know. But the idea one side hits the button and not a god damn system works does have a certain appeal.

• Options

KWcGQCY.jpg

I picture some random youtube kid's top ten anime video suddenly getting 100 times more views and being downvoted into oblivion after this

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Lets talk about the awful american art for Final Fantasy 2

Cecil...not bad

Apparently Rydia is deep into baggy clothes?

Edge is neat

Palom and Porom are creepy creatues of the night apparently

Yang is all about dat tan

Kain is well I dont really know

Oh my god, where did this art appear? It not only does a horrible job of representing the characters, but it's not even like competently drawn. So awesome.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'm not so certain how many more goes on the roundabout we get before somebody gets too stupid for us to live.

I prefer we move away from the necessity. Hopefully that process can start up again at some point.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

KWcGQCY.jpg

Mandatory Kanye music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I am currently making Teriyaki Burgs from scratch. I made the teriyaki sauce from scratch, too, and I have never attempted this before.

I'm feeling this will be a tasty burg.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "Hey, you know the color schemes that we can clearly see for these characters in the game? Yo, fuck those. Making Kain orange and green."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Im super interested to see how MGS5 wraps up cause.

Big Boss has to found Foxhound so he has to be back on good terms with the US

Grey Fox needs to show up and be in a senior position and Solid Snake has to be recruited.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    everything hurts

oww

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I forgot I had dyed my hair for a second and looked down and thought "that's... weirdly red is something wrong with the lighting here?"

ALERT: Shivahn is having a stroke

• Options
    The problem with the Metal Gear series is that, while they completely accept the general history set up by the first two games, they have also completely ignored my two favourite moments from them:

1) At one point in the game you encounter Big Boss's ultimate Outer Heaven security: poisonous Zanzibar hamsters, a genetic splice between rat and hamster that you have to defeat by luring with a cheese ration and then shooting with an assault rifle
    2) At another point, you need to sneak into a base. You do this by finding an owl egg, hatching it, and its hoots trick the security detail to think it is night time and clock off early.

this is what Big Boss's story is heading towards, canonically

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I've made pulled pork with this pork shoulder and tacos and I still got a pound of it left, slow cooked and yummy

not sure what to do next with it

override367 on
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    I am currently making Teriyaki Burgs from scratch. I made the teriyaki sauce from scratch, too, and I have never attempted this before.

Teriyaki is super simple.

Mirin, soy, shit tons of ginger, some brown sugar if you want it a little sweet. Oh and some garlic.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

you monster

brioche is god's bread

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    We should replace every nuclear weapon with a dinosaur.

A recent documentary series I viewed tells me this would be a wonderful idea.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Mirin, soy, shit tons of ginger, some brown sugar if you want it a little sweet. Oh and some garlic.

American teriyaki: ginger, sugar, ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, and sugar

override367 on
  • Options

The ability to make a delicious teriyaki would be a skill that would serve any man and or woman well throughout their life

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

American teryaki: ginger, sugar, ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and sugar

Mine's basically what Mazzyx said.

• Options

KWcGQCY.jpg
    this is fantastic

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I know everyone on the internet wet themselves for the ff7 remake but if they were doing an HD remake of FF6 I'd probably have the same reaction as everyone who cares about Shenmue had

because FF6 is a vastly superior game to FF7

On the one hand, I think you're right and FFVI is absolutely fertile ground for an HD remake because it's got all the things I like

On the other hand, FFVII needs to be remade much more badly. From things like the graphics to story elements to the philosophies relevant to it, it's basically aged better in every way. There is fun stuff in FFVII but it is in much more dire need of a tune up.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    We should replace every nuclear weapon with a dinosaur.

A recent documentary series I viewed tells me this would be a wonderful idea.

9-2834067-scn100615jurassic2_t460.jpg

This discussion has been closed.