As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ticket help

TBHockeykid04TBHockeykid04 Registered User new member
edited June 2015 in PAX West
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to PAX and I live in the area and I plan on going this year... But I have a few questions that will let me know whether or not I will be going to the event.. Now since all the badges have sold out.. The only really available tickets are through Ebay or Craigslist.. but I have very mixed feelings about using these sites to buy the tickets for the event, with the case of scams and all that stuff.. So I had asked my good friend when he went, is there any way to buy tickets, and he stated that there are vendors that sell them near the entrances. Is this true? Because I plan on, if it is true, to buy from one of the vendors, because I would not like to get scammed.. If anyone knows the answer to this noobish question, please feel free to answer because I would love to experience PAX at least once.. and this will only be the way how I would.

ceres on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Well, the "vendors" are scalpers.

I'm going to move this thread to the pax forum.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    PAX has had "ticket checking" stations outside of PAX for the last few years to check for counterfeits. If you do buy from a scalper (or sometimes you can get lucky with someone selling at face value because a friend can't attend) tell them you'll pay them after they've checked the ticket authenticity at the ticket check. They are either outside the door or inside the main entrance hallway on Pike next to a large sign that talks about counterfeit tickets.

There should be enforcers around that you can ask too. They'll give you directions to the ticket check.

In general though, people selling tickets outside are scalpers - especially the fellows with LARGE stacks of tickets that people have offloaded/they have acquired.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I second what CodextehFish has said. If you are going to buy from scalpers outside the doors anyways, make sure you have them checked. Anyone who isn't willing to move, doesn't have the real thing.

Enforcers are awesome and will help you with almost anything you need! Good luck!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Any badges on Ebay I think are still against their Terms of Service agreement since the physical badges are not going to be shipped for quite some time still (about 2-3 weeks before the event). I would be very nervous about getting badges through craigslist just because you really have no idea what you could be getting unless you truly trust the person.

Scalpers can sell tickets but sometimes they can go for fairly absorbatant prices so don't be afraid to say no. You're going to get cheaper prices towards the end of the day when people are leaving and selling their badge. The best advice is to be wary and double check everything!

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »
    Any badges on Ebay I think are still against their Terms of Service agreement since the physical badges are not going to be shipped for quite some time still (about 2-3 weeks before the event). I would be very nervous about getting badges through craigslist just because you really have no idea what you could be getting unless you truly trust the person.

Scalpers can sell tickets but sometimes they can go for fairly exorbitant prices so don't be afraid to say no. You're going to get cheaper prices towards the end of the day when people are leaving and selling their badge. The best advice is to be wary and double check everything!
    PAX is 60 days out. So no seller will have a ticket to ship anybody for ~39 days. So it's more than a week from now until any eBay auction can be legit. And considering that PAX just canceled a bunch of tickets last week, auctions currently up might have gone from well-intentioned-but-against-the-rules to scam automatically.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    I've also seen advertisements on Craigslist for 4-day passes, which of course don't exist. So the scammers/counterfeiters are out there already.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    A lot of people end up having friends who can't go. Just check reddit when you're in seattle and you can usually find people who will be able to meet you in front of the convention center to validate and sell you a badge. I had 2 friends not be able to go the other year so I just sold their badges for cost (after quizzing them on nerd info to make sure they weren't scalpers).

• Options
    There are also tickets being sold on StubHub.. and I believe that they are a legit site, but a bit pricey, do you see me being a bit safer purchasing them on StubHub?

• Options
    DemonsMasterDemonsMaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    There are also tickets being sold on StubHub.. and I believe that they are a legit site, but a bit pricey, do you see me being a bit safer purchasing them on StubHub?

Stubhub has policies in place to help you get your money back if you're sent fake passes, but no one has any physical passes to sell you for another couple weeks like others above have posted.

DemonsMaster on
    Pax Prime (West) '13, '14, '15, '16.
    Pax South '16
    Pax Prime 2015 Omeganaut
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Stubhub has policies in place to help you get your money back if you're sent fake passes, but no one has any physical passes to sell you for another couple weeks like others above have posted.

No one is going to have any badges in hand for ~5 weeks (based on previous years). Within a 1-2 weeks people will be a month from having them and so could legitimately put them on ebay.

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I have noticed that badges are getting shipped closer and closer to the actual event. Last year I got mine a week before PAX and i'm only 1 state away and used to get them a month before. I can only assume this is due to all the added PAXes and the condensed time period they have now between events. Point is getting them off eBay, CL, stubhub etc might be tricky (come to think of it this could be why they are shipping them later also). Your safest and must assured you get a real ticket option is at the event and having them verified by event staff. No way should anyone not get them verified. There have been some very good looking fakes and sadly all they can do it take away your fakes and tell you your out your money and no access. This is due to fire/capacity regulations.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    I really feel bad but I might buy a saturday badge from a scalper because I hesitated and missed out on it. Thank you all for letting us know that there are counterfeit ticket checkers.

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I really feel bad but I might buy a saturday badge from a scalper because I hesitated and missed out on it. Thank you all for letting us know that there are counterfeit ticket checkers.

Don't feel bad about buying from a secondary source, it happens. Just make sure you're getting a legitimate badge. Keep an eye on Reddit for the badge sale/exchange thread and don't buy from eBay until badges have actually shipped.

Although, I would stay away from eBay and the scalpers outside if you can.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh I meant I was going to buy one from them crowding around the door.if there are badge verifiers.

angelicstubborness on
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Oh I meant I was going to buy one from them crowding around the door.if there are badge verifiers.

If you get it verified, that's fine. But you'll probably pay through the nose. If you can find one on Reddit before hand, it could save you a lot of money. And depending on where the badge is, you might be able to meet up at PAX and get it verified before any money is exchanged.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Unless you get super lucky and there's a person selling them for face value at the door, just remember they will be probably double or triple the price of what they cost online from the scalpers, especially on Friday or Saturday.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I mean the only place I've seen them for sale is ebay, I won't touch craigslist.
    But ebay takes the money in advance. I dont want to be out 100 for months with no real promise I'd get the badge.

• Options
    Another thing I guess I can ask.. Is if there is anyone here that knows of any legit seller on reddit that they could redirect me to.. so I can buy legit tickets from a well-know seller. That would be great! Thanks

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice. I mean the only place I've seen them for sale is ebay, I won't touch craigslist.
    But ebay takes the money in advance. I dont want to be out 100 for months with no real promise I'd get the badge.

Yeah as I said above, any tickets on sale on ebay currently are against their terms of service. So they aren't legit.

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I think Reddit is a great place to look - I had tix for last years Prime, just about over a month out, but before receiving the tix, I found out I couldn't go. I listed them on Reddit with the express understanding that they would have to go through Ebay to do the sale. A buyer and I corresponded, I listed the tix on Ebay at an obscene amount so they could find my listing, we had a pre-determining best offer amount agreed to by myself and the buyer (FV+ Ebay listing fee which was like 7% + shipping with insurance and signature confirmation). Going through Ebay was the best option as he had buyer protection and I had seller protection. It also helps that I had been selling on there for 15+ years with great feedback.

I've also been on the other side needing that 'one extra tix' for East and bought though Ebay, no problem. Not all sellers on Ebay are scammers, their there and the listings are obvious...new seller with multiple listings for 3x+ the fv cost. You just have to do your homework and find a good seller...and then still listen to your gutt. best of luck!

• Options
    Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    They have gotten better in the last few years with the badges themselves. They now have: a foil hologram, a sticker, a unique serial number and have PAX logos that show up in black light. They should be continuing all of these if not adding more. So make sure!

• Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    Stubhub is another place, the cost is a bit more as stubhub takes a good chunk of commissions. But you have lots of protections. Sellers don't get paid until you have tickets in hand.

• Options
    Ooh nice I'll check that out