As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlebots]. Let's check out the action in the arena!

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Social Entropy++
This is the thread we know you've all been waiting for! Back after 13 years!
jj39b8xkr01q.jpg

It is BACK! in a big way. It can be seen at 9/8c on ABC, the first episode of the new series premiered the other night and can be seen on Hulu now.

What is Battlebots?
For the uninitiated Battlebots is exactly how it sounds. Robots fight in a glass arena, with various traps around them. Fights are 3 minutes long. At the end of 3 minutes a winner is determined by a points system based off various criteria. More often fights are decided by K.O. Once a robot is no longer operable, they are out of the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahPYo1TfAY

More videos:
Of course some well known favorites are back.

Nightmare is by far the coolest.
ntvaw0bnhbcm.jpg

And the creator of Tentomushi y1g3v5izsjju.jpg one of the most hillariously absurd robots is back with a new bot.
flcizi0402p1.png

I love the absurd bots the most, even if they aren't the most effective. Wedge vs. Wedge isn't the most exciting, so I'd love to see some crazy designs in the new season.

Who are your favorites?

I write you a story
But it loses its thread
JebusUD on

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So did they fix the problems they had with people bringing in jammers that started happening at the end of the last go?

zkHcp.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Backlash and Nightmare.

Because when one of those connects, holy shit stuff is flying.

I wonder where I put my old Backlash model, the one that's spin up like whoa and shoot stuff everywhere if something actually touches it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Backlash and Nightmare.

Because when one of those connects, holy shit stuff is flying.

I wonder where I put my old Backlash model, the one that's spin up like whoa and shoot stuff everywhere if something actually touches it.

Watch the fight video I posted with Nightmare under more videos. It will give you what you want.
    Kadith wrote: »
    So did they fix the problems they had with people bringing in jammers that started happening at the end of the last go?

This happened specifically in Battlebots? I haven't heard of it, but I do know the rules prohibit jammers.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »

This happened specifically in Battlebots? I haven't heard of it, but I do know the rules prohibit jammers.

I remember someone posting an article or story here one time when Battlebots came up about how jamming started to get really bad and even though I think it was against the rules it's hard to prove unless you're already set up to detect it.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
    Here are the other fights as well.

Razorback vs Icewave
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebEzuR9G3c

Wrecks vs Plan X
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBZ1HyeqbE

Bitforce vs Warhead
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEJSfXYbi8

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I love Plan X's weird LED-lit brain

Since I love all the strange bots, I wanted Wrecks to work. But it just doesn't. It's almost as bad as that worm bot from the original.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Since I love all the strange bots, I wanted Wrecks to work. But it just doesn't. It's almost as bad as that worm bot from the original.

Oh yeah, I remember that thing! It was a beautiful mobile sculpture but an awful fighting robot

Oh yeah, I remember that thing! It was a beautiful mobile sculpture but an awful fighting robot

I think it did win a single fight where it managed to clamp on and flip a bot. Back before nearly all the bots had self righting mechanisms,

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I was fucking stunned at the ingenuity of it though

It walked! It really walked! Using gyroscopic force! And it did some actual damage!

I bet the guy who built that thing was over the moon regardless

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Really? Is there anywhere I can read/watch more about this because it sounds ridiculous but hilarious

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is Grant Imahara involved in any way with this, because that's about the only way you'd get me to watch.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I liked the part where the robot exploded

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    wait WHAT

THIS IS BACK

AAAAAAAAAAAH

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Is Grant Imahara involved in any way with this, because that's about the only way you'd get me to watch.

I want Bill Nye back as their expert.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Yeses, I had no idea this was back, and I am super happy. Can't believe it's only 6 episodes though! Guess I'll be watching this on repeat on Hulu to push up the numbers.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    edited June 2015
    Oh my god, the salt in that first fight tonight.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh my GOD, Complete Control. You beautiful bastards.

*golf clap*

persona4celestia.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Is mark setrakian competing at all this year

I work evenings on the weekend so I haven't seen it yet. Also, I'm watching on Hulu, so it is next day anyway. :(

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We watched the first two episodes. The only complaint is that with commercials and stories about competitors you don't a huge amount of fighting. Hopefully in the next rounds where most of the folks have been introduced they'll be able to show more action. Not that their stories aren't interesting, but 60 minutes for 4 fights of less than 3 minutes each drags a bit.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The whole complete control thing really did seem like something that the producers put in.

Also Tombtstone is a nightmare bot. Just wrecked it's competition.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I feel like it's gotta be either Tombstone or Bronco to win the whole competition. Does anyone know if Bronco is made by the same builders as El Toro back in the day? I assume, based on the similar design and name that it's likely.

Also I kinda geeked the fuck out when I found out Kenny Florian was one of the announcers. He is my all time favourite MMA fighter (also a total hottie but that's mostly beside the point).

I was annoyed Complete Control didn't get a wildcard. Other than maybe the MIT bot whose name I can't remember, it probably had the most control (no pun intended) in its match of any of the losers. Also I've always loved that its weapon is so purely about, again, control, and not damage. I remember back in the day seeing it just straight up carry its opponent around. It's hype as shit.

Edit: I'm kinda sad there aren't weight classes this year though. I always really enjoyed the differences in the designs between them.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It surprised me across the board how ineffective fire tended to be. It seemed like for all the time and effort it probably took and how spectacular some of the hits looked, I didn't see a single flame attack that actual effected the outcome of a battle.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    Is mark setrakian competing at all this year
    Don't think so. Pretty sure we've seen all the bots out there. Though the trophy stand they've got the Nut on looks like something he'd make. Probably for the best though, I mean the guy makes some beautiful robots, inspiring pieces of art and engineering, but I don't think they've ever been particularly competitive. even back on Comedy Central. It would be painful to watch Mechadon get ripped up by some of these new bots.
    facetious wrote: »
    I feel like it's gotta be either Tombstone or Bronco to win the whole competition. Does anyone know if Bronco is made by the same builders as El Toro back in the day? I assume, based on the similar design and name that it's likely.
    Bronco is from Inertia Labs who did El Toro and the other thrower bots from the later seasons of Comedy Central Battlebots.

Well, I'd say a indirect fire attack is what unstabalized Nightmare during it's fight.

I'd say a explosion is still a fire attack, right?

Everything might just be too well armored for it to matter, although we haven't really seen a good direct hit yet, or what it's doing to the bot internals.

Fire might be more interesting if we got a lightweight round.

Also, I can't put my finger on it, but Tombstone rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    i'm still amazed they've barely made any improvements to nightmare 13 years later

getting flipped over is your biggest weakness dude, maybe you should do something about that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    i'm still amazed they've barely made any improvements to nightmare 13 years later

getting flipped over is your biggest weakness dude, maybe you should do something about that

But doing anything about that would get in the way of having a giant buzzsaw blade fuck shit up, which is unacceptable

We watched the first two episodes. The only complaint is that with commercials and stories about competitors you don't a huge amount of fighting. Hopefully in the next rounds where most of the folks have been introduced they'll be able to show more action. Not that their stories aren't interesting, but 60 minutes for 4 fights of less than 3 minutes each drags a bit.

It's a good show to do dishes and laundry to. You can half pay attention during the reality TV parts.
    It surprised me across the board how ineffective fire tended to be. It seemed like for all the time and effort it probably took and how spectacular some of the hits looked, I didn't see a single flame attack that actual effected the outcome of a battle.

I agree. Icewave bot was on fire in EP 1, but I think it was a malfunction.

But doing anything about that would get in the way of having a giant buzzsaw blade fuck shit up, which is unacceptable

I still think Nightmare would have won it's qualifying round if it hadn't tried to flip back over on the wall. It was dominating Warrior Clan until that flip. And I don't think that one hit, expert though it was, would have gotten them the win without a KO.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread

not really. they need to add some sort of righting mechanism is all

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Well, I'd say a indirect fire attack is what unstabalized Nightmare during it's fight.

I'd say a explosion is still a fire attack, right?

Everything might just be too well armored for it to matter, although we haven't really seen a good direct hit yet, or what it's doing to the bot internals.

Fire might be more interesting if we got a lightweight round.

Also, I can't put my finger on it, but Tombstone rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I think it may be because it's such a simple concept/bot (as simple as building robots can be) but it's so fucking effective. There's no imgination to it, it's just utilitarian design for a single purpose.

Kyougu on

UN

AC

CEPTABLE

I think it could do with a redesign to move the drive system to the rear of the bot so it was invertible, like the latest version of Backlash.
    latest?cb=20130123053304

Wouldn't need to take weight from the weapon system for a self righting mechanism that way.

edited June 2015

That fight vs Son of Wyachi is a legend for me.

If only because it was hands down the shortest fight in Battlebots history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFYzyrfrP0&ab_channel=Battlebotvideos

Goatmon on

Goatmon wrote: »

That fight vs Son of Wyachi is a legend for me.

If only because it was hands down the shortest fight in Battlebots history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFYzyrfrP0&ab_channel=Battlebotvideos

I never liked that fight because it was basically rigged

thanks, floor flippers
    Yeah they were going to lose to Whyachi no matter what, of course

Yeah there was no way that solid spinning blade wasn't getting slammed into oblivion by those horizontal hammers.

Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah there was no way that solid spinning blade wasn't getting slammed into oblivion by those horizontal hammers.

I'd imagine the destruction would have been somewhat more impressive had they met face to face (so to speak) rather than having one or the other bounced around by the ramps.

I don't see how that would have really made a difference.

The physics of how their respective weapons worked could only lead to one outcome.