As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies] When Dinosaurs Ruled the Box Office

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Speaking of Sinbad I absolutely love Houseguest. I miss Phil Hartman.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Any movie where Arnold punches out a Reindeer and then has a drink with it is okay by me.

Don't forget that he was high on Post-Atlantean peyote and knocked out a camel in Conan the Barbarian.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Conan the Barbarian is such a great film

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kBWP231hI

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Punching out animals is one of Arnold's things, I'm pretty sure

He punches another camel in Destroyer I believe

And then those dogs in True Lies

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mungo punching the horse in Blazing Saddles is one of Mrs. Rhesus' all time favourite movie moments. She also very much enjoyed Conan's camel punch.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He slams the dogs heads together. No punching involved.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Straightzi wrote: »

In Destroyer, he tries to apologize to the camel and it spits on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7OnW4XDck

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »

In Destroyer, he tries to apologize to the camel and it spits on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7OnW4XDck

So you are saying the camel deserved it that time.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was only half-looking at the preview image for that clip, and I thought, "Wow, that haircut makes Arnold look way different."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I love the fact that they considered O.J. Simpson at one point for the Terminator.

Of course, they decided against that, since who could possibly see that goofy guy as a killer?

Lance Hendriksen went to audition for the part of the Terminator as well.

He had on really dark sunglasses and had put tinfoil over his teeth and kept looking around the room in a very robotic manner. He was so unnerving that the receptionist came in and told Cameron about him because everybody else was getting weirded out.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Blake T wrote:
    Terminator 2 is a genuine blockbuster action movie that is incredibly solid.

The original still has more flaws, but I like it more as it is written more as a action horror movie.
    T1 is pretty amazing when you consider the fact that it only had a budget of $6 million.

Also, as great as T2 was, it was dumbed down a bit compared to T1.

I will defend Terminator as being the superior film every single time I get the chance. I've been banging that drum for years, and some of my friends who insisted that T2 was better have finally started coming around. T2 is basically Terminator where Ahnuld got to play the good guy.

That said, Terminator being a direct ripoff of a bunch of Harlan Ellison stories gave it a major head-start on being amazing. Cameron being such a talented director sealed the deal.

That Harlan Ellison thing is kind of BS.

The opening sequence of Terminator was very similar to the Twilight Zone episode "Soldier," and they shared the basic concept of two time traveling soldiers. However, the characters, plot, and setting are all different.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Harlan Ellison once sued the makers of In Time for plagiarism and asked to have his name put in the credits. After he saw the film on release, he sued to have them take his name back out.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Man I love Harlan Ellison

He's just the best

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular

He's just the best

The Scooby-Doo character?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

He's just the best

I loved that they just used his real name but changed H.P. Lovecraft to H.P. Hatecraft

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Radius wrote: »

He's just the best

That is one of the reasons I love him, yes.

• ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Used to be? Avatar may not have been his best movie (and I'd hesitate to call it his worst; I mean, he did make Piranha 2), but it's not like his career hit freefall or anything. I'd argue his world building for Avatar is as great an achievement as his technicality on anything else he's done.

I don't really like Titanic or Avatar, and besides the underwater exploration docs those are the only films he's made since True Lies in 1994.

Like them or hate them, there is really no denying Cameron's technical skill

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    God damn, do I love Conan the Barbarian. As much as I love the LOTR films, CtB might just be my favorite fantasy film ever. I am a huge mark for high fantasy, but the minimalist fantasy of Conan is just perfect. Nothing is really awe-inspiring for these characters; magic and such just are. Stygian Black Lotus should be a band name if it isn't already.

There are so many great character moments, too. Like in that clip above, where Thorgrim (what a fucking metal name) knocks the pillar over, looks at his hammer, then looks at the pillar like "...what." Or Conan's mother standing defiant against the entirety of Thulsa Doom's army when Rexor salutes her with the Father's Sword. Thulsa Doom's ever-so-slight change of expression to make Conan's mother lower her sword, too. Just a fantastic film, and probably my favorite Arnold flick as well.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    JEJ is fantastic in Conan

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wgN1sLcAQnw

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Are we really almost done with summer blockbusters in June

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Are we really almost done with summer blockbusters in June

Pretty much, yeah

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Does over 50% = almost?

jCyyTSo.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    There's at least a few more movies coming out over the next couple months with potential to be huge.

Ant man, minions, and pixels (unfortunately) should all be successful. Terminator is tracking soft but still screams summer movie. Fantastic 4 might do ok? Probably not.

Then there's movies that look cool like the man from uncle but who knows how that'll do

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    There's not a lot of buzz around Ant Man. It could be the first Marvel movie that goes south.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    There's not a lot of buzz around Ant Man. It could be the first Marvel movie that goes south.

well there's yellow jacket, but yeah without confirmed wasp it's not really a lot

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

And they have been pushing it REALLY hard.

They had a whole THING, like 5minutes+ long in front of Jurassic World.

Combined with the recent fairly agressive ad campaign, yeah, it's pretty clear Marvel senses that this might not go great unless they REALLY get behind it.

Transporter on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Antman sounds like the title of a low budget 50s Sci fi movie.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

A quick search showed it tracking at about 60 mil opening weekend, which is below cap 1 and thor 1 but still gives it a shot at a couple hundred million domestic on a 130 mil budget. Not great but will certainly be bailed out by the international BO.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It does just seem like a bit of a bro trip movie.

But sexier.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Butt sexy.

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I finally saw The Mist. I knew going in it was supposed to be pretty rough, and man, it was fierce. Then it got brutal. Then it got SAVAGE.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The spiders in the mist still to this day disturb me more than any other movie monster. I don't know what it is, the cg or design isn't particular unique or good, just something about the atmosphere made them terrifying for me

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the end of the mist started off grim and then got kind of comically over-the-top in how grim it was

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    the end of the mist started off grim and then got kind of comically over-the-top in how grim it was

I'd agree with this in hindsight but
    when I saw it at the time it actually felt less like the usual "haha fuck you" horror movie ending, and more a really macabre way of saying "never, ever, give up hope, ever." Which I took to be really ultimately kind of positive despite how horrendous and depressing it was. It was very twilight zoney and so I enjoyed it, it didnt feel cruel or needless or like some sort of dumb final jump scare. It felt like something that could happen based on the logic of the world the movie depicted.

Also the ending of Shaun of The Dead has a similar beat which I thought was kind of funny to notice

Prohass on
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    The spiders in the mist still to this day disturb me more than any other movie monster. I don't know what it is, the cg or design isn't particular unique or good, just something about the atmosphere made them terrifying for me

Very few movies have ever made me feel so vulnerable as a flesh person as The Mist.

Prohass wrote: »

I'd agree with this in hindsight but
    when I saw it at the time it actually felt less like the usual "haha fuck you" horror movie ending, and more a really macabre way of saying "never, ever, give up hope, ever." Which I took to be really ultimately kind of positive despite how horrendous and depressing it was. It was very twilight zoney and so I enjoyed it, it didnt feel cruel or needless or like some sort of dumb final jump scare. It felt like something that could happen based on the logic of the world the movie depicted.

Also the ending of Shaun of The Dead has a similar beat which I thought was kind of funny to notice

I think the ending is probably the logical ending. I don't know if I like it or dislike it, but I can certainly marvel at it's existence.

This discussion has been closed.