As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Final Fantasy 12 Together - Week 12. Bahamut.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Don't listen to Ondore's lies!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Is there a good walkthough to follow for this (how to build characters/gambits and how to deal with certain bosses accordingly)

I tried several times to play through 12, but I always stonewalled somewhere or spent so much time grinding to continue that I gave up

Your problem is probably equipment or license-based rather level-based. In a playthrough where you don't run from enemies you shouldn't really need to grind, ever

dN0T6ur.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Is there a good walkthough to follow for this (how to build characters/gambits and how to deal with certain bosses accordingly)

I tried several times to play through 12, but I always stonewalled somewhere or spent so much time grinding to continue that I gave up

Your problem is probably equipment or license-based rather level-based. In a playthrough where you don't run from enemies you shouldn't really need to grind, ever

That is what I said yes.

The last time I went at it, I followed some stupid guide that had me farm katanas with vaan and get him up to 30 before even starting the game proper, and that got me as far as I had gotten where I was stuck on the last play through (the wall boss?) then I looked at the guide again and it was like "okay, now we can go farm bombs for x hours..."

nooooope.jpeg

I came away from the game incredibly dissatisfied with it no matter what I did

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Uhhhh

Be focused on assigned roles for each party member early on, and try to get those Quickenings, is all I really remember

Quickenings can be used in a pinch to break certain early bosses in half

dN0T6ur.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You don't even need to beat the Demon Wall. You can run from it.

I never had to farm or level grind if I didn't want to in order to get through the critical path.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    just cast reflect on everybody then aoe your party with bio

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    alright nevermind

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

That is what I said yes.

The last time I went at it, I followed some stupid guide that had me farm katanas with vaan and get him up to 30 before even starting the game proper, and that got me as far as I had gotten where I was stuck on the last play through (the wall boss?) then I looked at the guide again and it was like "okay, now we can go farm bombs for x hours..."

nooooope.jpeg

That's the point of joining in this LPT, @Naphtali! Quite a few of us have played the game before and can offer running advice on bosses, etc.

Mainly, though, don't do any lengthy grinding whatsoever, unless it's for a rare drop or something and you really want that weapon.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    No, seriously! That's the chief thing. You have to be focused on having certain party members fulling certain roles to make better use of their early levels. If you have problems with a particular boss, you generally want to drop some sick status magic on it, because status magic works more often than you'd believe

dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2015
    SilverWind wrote: »

That is what I said yes.

nooooope.jpeg

That's the point of joining in this LPT, @Naphtali! Quite a few of us have played the game before and can offer running advice on bosses, etc.

Mainly, though, don't do any lengthy grinding whatsoever, unless it's for a rare drop or something and you really want that weapon.

(I'm totally grinding all the things. Gotta get money for the grimoires so my things sell for more money!)

That's me, though, you do you.

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I've always meant to go back to FFXII and finish it. I was fairly close to the end when I burned out. Play had become pretty repetitive for me towards the end, because I was trying to grind the full license board for all six characters, even though Vaan and Penelo hadn't made it into my combat team once after the story stopped requiring them. Then I found out I'd screwed up the zodiac spear, couldn't get 100% item acquisition, and rage quit. By the time I'd talked myself off that ledge, I'd moved on to the PS3 and couldn't remember where all the PS2 parts were.

I did scrape together all my PS2 stuff not too long ago for a Kingdom Hearts 1 replay, though. So tonight, I'll see if I can find my FFXII disc, and if so, sign up!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    FFXII disc located. FFXII guide also located, which I don't remember purchasing and which would have saved me from some troubles if I'd been using it the first time around. And replacement PS2 controller purchased and tested, after a Dr. Pepper spill ruined its predecessor.

So sign me the heck up!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    No, seriously! That's the chief thing. You have to be focused on having certain party members fulling certain roles to make better use of their early levels. If you have problems with a particular boss, you generally want to drop some sick status magic on it, because status magic works more often than you'd believe
    How early do you need to be nailing this stuff down? Is it the kind of system where some dubious decisions in the first few hours will haunt you for the rest of the game if you change your mind?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's the opposite

Early mistakes will give you some headaches early on but then eventually everyone can learn everything so what skills you picked up first doesn't really matter in the end

But it makes the early sections a lot easier if everyone is doing something distinct because it gives you more variety in what your party is capable of

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    god why does vaan even exist

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Little Japanese girls like you

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png

I am in fact moe

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    But you'll never be kawaii

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

I am in fact moe

Where are Larry and curly?

Wyvern wrote: »
    How early do you need to be nailing this stuff down? Is it the kind of system where some dubious decisions in the first few hours will haunt you for the rest of the game if you change your mind?

I got through the game fine and I'm a notorious idiot at this stuff

I just said "OK you're going to get the shields, you're going to get the white magic, you're going to get the guns" etc.

dN0T6ur.png
    When a old buddy of mine was playing this game he got stuck when he found out you can just make everyone use a sword and shield and have it work out just fine.

Yeah making everyone a paladin can work out if you just want to brute force your way. But specializing can let you get further on the license board and possibly unlock higher tier gear and abilities earlier.

Wyvern wrote: »

I got through the game fine and I'm a notorious idiot at this stuff

I just said "OK you're going to get the shields, you're going to get the white magic, you're going to get the guns" etc.

I had a crazy-strong ass-whooping Girls Club and it was fantastic

I mostly made specialization decisions based on what the strongest weapons I had were at any moment

Also I can't remember ever using black magic? All status and curatives for me... I think

signature.png
    I just wish I still had this game.

I never got super far in myself but it seemed real cool.

Ten dollars, Uriel! :P There's still time! http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000F5IH2I/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1435632343&sr=8-1

Actually I think there's one for seven dollars, tax included right now!

signature.png
    I'm broke until Friday or I might have jumped on that.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The only time I grind in 12 is when you're heading to the tomb, and you can basically run through that desert area getting chains indefinitely, so after about 20 minutes you're getting stacks of drops.

Do that for about 40 minutes and never bother again.

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gotta get that early game Gladius yo

there's never enough gil, you hear me? NEVER

Fuck Joe Manchin
    Wyborn and I bought a copy of IZJS, by the bye. So that'll be the version he'll be tromping through. I'll be knit-commentating.

(I'm currently the only member of our household to have beaten Yiazmat / gotten all the espers, so he'll be trying to catch up). :P

signature.png
  • Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    This game was sweet

Not much to add to the discussion really. Just liked the game is all

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm going to be trying out the Zodiac Job System version, too.

Trying to decide how to split up the different jobs between everyone.

Currently thinking: Fran gets Dragoon (which is called Uhlan here, I guess), Ashe gets Knight, Penelo gets Red Mage, Balthier gets Machinist, Vaan gets Monk, and Basch gets Breaker. Not really any reasoning behind it other than a) I like those jobs and b) personal aesthetic preferences.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    I seem to remember Bagolys in that mystical forest dropping mirror mails all over the place. Sell those, get money, repeat.

Takes a while to get there, though.

Renzo wrote: »
    I seem to remember Bagolys in that mystical forest dropping mirror mails all over the place. Sell those, get money, repeat.

Takes a while to get there, though.

Yeah you chain these guys for a while, sell what you pick up, and you do not really need more money after that point, ever, for anything

dN0T6ur.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Isn't that forest pretty late on though, or, at least it's late on by the time you can easily farm the thingies?
    Or maybe I'm thinking of a different forest, this game has a lot of mystical jungles, or you revisit several jungles a few times? Something like that.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    It's not early. I'd say at least 65% through the main story, maybe closer to 75

Fuck Joe Manchin
    Isn't that forest pretty late on though, or, at least it's late on by the time you can easily farm the thingies?
    Or maybe I'm thinking of a different forest, this game has a lot of mystical jungles, or you revisit several jungles a few times? Something like that.

Yeah, it's pretty late, in The Salikawood. Past Mt. Bur-Omisace and The Stilshrine of Miriam. Probably 3/4 of the way through the game.

So for anyone who plans to try the IZJS version, here's a very long list of what each Esper grants each respective Job, since license boards are laid out in such a way that certain parts of the board are inaccessible unless you use a certain esper to "bridge" the path over. You can totally play without worrying about it, but it's something to think about in terms of what jobs you choose and what espers you distribute to who.

Again, this list is very long
    Belias
    - Archer: None
    - Black Mage: None
    - Breaker: Horology
    - Hunter: None
    - Knight: Potion Lore 1
    - Machinist: None
    - Monk: None
    - Red Mage: None
    - Samurai: Libra
    - Time Mage: None
    - Uhlan: None
    - White Mage: None

Mateus
    - Black Mage: Hand Bombs 3
    - Breaker: None
    - Hunter: Gil Toss
    - Knight: Esuna, cleanse, curaga, regen
    - Samurai: None
    - Time Mage: +230 HP
    - Uhlan: Magick Lore x2

Adrammelech
    - Black Mage: Hand Bombs 2
    - Breaker: Battle Lore
    - Hunter: Shades of Black
    - Knight: None
    - Samurai: Souleater
    - Time Mage: Cura, Raise
    - Uhlan: Battle Lore
    - White Mage: Battle Lore, Souleater

Zalera
    - Black Mage: Steal, Poach
    - Breaker: Traveler
    - Hunter: +435 HP
    - Monk: Traveler
    - Samurai: Blood Sword, Blood Sword A
    - Time Mage: Ether Lore 3

Shemhazai
    - Archer: Heavy Armor 10, 11, 12
    - Black Mage: Mirror Mail
    - Hunter: Guns 5, Guns 6
    - Knight: Potion Lore 2
    - Machinist: Hand Bombs 3
    - Monk: Potion Lore 3
    - Red Mage: Esuna, Cleanse
    - Samurai: Shield Block
    - White Mage: +230 HP

Cuchulainn
    - Breaker: Shades of Black
    - Hunter: Protecga, Shellga
    - Knight: Battle Lore
    - Machinist: Magick Lore
    - Red Mage: Fir-, Thun- Bizzaga, Sleepga
    - Samurai: (or Ultima) Stamp
    - Uhlan: Wither
    - White Mage: Libra

Exodus
    - Black Mage: Heavy Armor 8
    - Breaker: (or Zeromus) Magick Lore x4
    - Hunter: Stamp
    - Knight: +350 HP
    - Machinist: Decoy, Oil
    - Monk: Souleater
    - Red Mage: Heavy Armor 8, 9, 10
    - Samurai: +500 HP
    - Time Mage: Battle Lore
    - White Mage: Battle Lore

Zeromus
    - Black Mage: Heavy Armor 9
    - Breaker: (or Exodus) Magick Lore x4
    - Machinist: Hand Bombs 4
    - Monk: Sight Unseeing
    - Red Mage: Channeling
    - Samurai: Magick Lore x2
    - Time Mage: Addle, Shear
    - White Mage: +270 HP

Hashmal
    - Black Mage: Hand Bombs 4
    - Breaker: Swiftness
    - Hunter: Bonecrusher
    - Knight: White Magic 8, 9
    - Monk: Cura, Raise
    - Red Mage: Steal
    - Time Mage: Channeling
    - Uhlan: Bonecrusher

Famfrit
    - Archer: +390 HP, +435 HP=825
    - Black Mage: +190, 230, 310 HP=730
    - Breaker: Magick Lore
    - Machinist: Time Magick 8, 9, 10
    - Monk: Arise, Dispelga
    - Red Mage: Battle Lore x2
    - Time Mage: Battle Lore
    - Uhlan: Potion Lore 3
    - White Mage: Daggers 5, Numerology

Chaos
    - Archer: Magic Lore x 5
    - Machinist: +350 HP
    - Monk: Holy esunaga protect/shellga
    - Red Mage: Ultima Blade
    - Samurai: Brawler
    - Time Mage: +270 HP
    - Uhlan: Bio blindga aeroga silencega
    - White Mage: +310 HP, Greatswords 2

Ultima
    - Archer: (or Zodiark) Infuse, 1000 Needles
    - Black Mage: Telekinesis
    - Breaker: Swiftness
    - Hunter: Phoenix Lore x2
    - Knight: Telekinesis, Battle Lore
    - Monk: Swiftness x2
    - Red Mage: Great Swords 1, 2
    - Samurai: (or Cuchulainn) Stamp
    - Time Mage: Swords 7, 8
    - Uhlan: Expose

Zodiark
    - Archer: (or Ultima) Infuse, 1000 Needles
    - Machinist: +390 HP
    - Monk: Renew
    - Red Mage: Ragnarok
    - Samurai: Heavy Armor 9, 10, 11
    - Time Mage: Swords 9
    - White Mage: Greatswords 1

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Yeah, it's pretty late, in The Salikawood. Past Mt. Bur-Omisace and The Stilshrine of Miriam. Probably 3/4 of the way through the game.

How the hell do you remember the names of those places? I worry about you sometimes Renzo.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick