As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlebots]. Let's check out the action in the arena!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    You think maybe having the blade spin the other way would be better?
    It would push the other guy up and out and push you back. Seems like it'd be more likely to flip them over and maybe not send you bounding up and away?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the best part about nightmare is that nightmare kinda sucks at robot fighting.

but every once in a while it makes another robot cease to be and that's fucking sweet.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Well, I'd say a indirect fire attack is what unstabalized Nightmare during it's fight.

I'd say a explosion is still a fire attack, right?

Everything might just be too well armored for it to matter, although we haven't really seen a good direct hit yet, or what it's doing to the bot internals.

Fire might be more interesting if we got a lightweight round.

Also, I can't put my finger on it, but Tombstone rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I think it may be because it's such a simple concept/bot (as simple as building robots can be) but it's so fucking effective. There's no imgination to it, it's just utilitarian design for a single purpose.
    Knight_ wrote: »

but every once in a while it makes another robot cease to be and that's fucking sweet.

Yeah, I think that's why I'm not a fan of Tombstone right now. Nightmare feels like it works a bit more for it's kills and requires some driver skill to joust-hit the opponents and has weaknesses. Tombstone feels like it just runs at you and tries to bump into you, and whoops you're dead. How do you even fight that?

I do wonder what happens if, say, it hits something it can't break. Like going face-first into the screws.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think only weakness I can see in Tombstone is that there are some bots out there that might be built low enough to slide under the spinner. Some of them with good sized flippers built low enough might do the trick.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Well, I'd say a indirect fire attack is what unstabalized Nightmare during it's fight.

Everything might just be too well armored for it to matter, although we haven't really seen a good direct hit yet, or what it's doing to the bot internals.

Also, I can't put my finger on it, but Tombstone rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I think it may be because it's such a simple concept/bot (as simple as building robots can be) but it's so fucking effective. There's no imgination to it, it's just utilitarian design for a single purpose.

Yeah, I think that's why I'm not a fan of Tombstone right now. Nightmare feels like it works a bit more for it's kills and requires some driver skill to joust-hit the opponents and has weaknesses. Tombstone feels like it just runs at you and tries to bump into you, and whoops you're dead. How do you even fight that?

I do wonder what happens if, say, it hits something it can't break. Like going face-first into the screws.
    I'd guess that if it hits something it can't break, one or both bots bounce get knocked across the box. Used to be you could count on the spinner to break itself when it met something that it couldn't break, even if it took a few solid hits, but between better electronics and better building tools/techniques/materials and better motors, that's not the case anymore.

And in a match up between Tombstone and the screws, my money wouldn't be on the screws. Just saying.

As for fighting it, the first though that comes to mind would be a low slung brick with a heavily armored wedge trying to deflect the bar up and hope that Tombstone spinner dances itself to death.
    But low slung brick/wedges aren't allowed at the moment unless they've got some active weapon.
    Maybe a particularly well driven lifter/flipper could get around the back and initiate a good spinner dance, but that requires a lot of speed, driving skill and luck.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

And in a match up between Tombstone and the screws, my money wouldn't be on the screws. Just saying.

It isn't unprecedented for heavily armored bots to break or bend arena traps. I believe I recall one bending the pulverizer hammer arm.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Catching on the latest episode.

Dat salt.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2015
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Catching on the latest episode.

Dat salt.

Lol. That was a cheap hit.

I was really surprised how fast those first bots were.

I feel like fire in general could be effective, but you have to keep the other bot still for too long.

Also, tombstone probably rubs people the wrong way because it is the same as the people that use the OP gun in FPS. It's just utilitarian, it is just built to win. It isn't pretty, it isn't even all that interesting. It's just raw power in the most powerful package it can have.

People are going to need speed and a low profile to take it on.

edit: HAHA "WHAT'S IN THE BOX!"

JebusUD on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    i watched cable for the first time in a long time the other night and saw this and got excited

and then sat and watched a really boring fight where two robots tried to flip each other over and nothing exciting happened and i remembered why this show ended.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    It would push the other guy up and out and push you back. Seems like it'd be more likely to flip them over and maybe not send you bounding up and away?

I forget if it was Nightmare or another similarly designed bot, but I know one would occasionally change the rotation direction on its blade depending on its opponent.

Actually that's one of my very favourite things is when the designers leave options for themselves to tweak based on the matchup. Which is one reason I liked what Complete Control did, rules-cheesing or not.

Also I forgot about Son of Whyachi. That thing was terrifying, especially with the way it took advantage of/arguably abused the 'walker' weight class rules to dominate with an obscenely powerful weapon for its weight class. That was a much more egregious example than the complaints people have about Tombstone (although I get where people are coming from).

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Just spent a ton of time reading through the BattleBots wiki, and then the Robot Wars wiki (I did not realize just how long-running Robot Wars was, damn). So many awesome bots I'd forgotten about.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

none of these robot shot fire

get your shit together Japan

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Tombstone is a beast, but I'm rooting for Lockjaw because of that after round humiliation.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck Pepper. Plastic weenie-bot.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    As much as it annoys me to say, Tombstone is probaly gonna win, and I really don't want it to. It's a boring unimaginative bot, and thats one of the things that killed the original series, every bot was a pushbot, and boring fights.

Not to mention the driver grates on me for some reason.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Well, Nightmare's weapon is a solid spinning vertical blade.

Son of Whyachi's weapon is three separate hammers spinning horizontally

No matter how Nightmare approaches, his weapon is certain to pass between those hammers and get knocked around.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Well, Nightmare's weapon is a solid spinning vertical blade.

Son of Whyachi's weapon is three separate hammers spinning horizontally

No matter how Nightmare approaches, his weapon is certain to pass between those hammers and get knocked around.
    Yeah I totally agree with that part. I mean in that video that we saw in the OP it seems like being able to fling shit up and away would be much better for trying to keep your weird tripod robot upright

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    As much as it annoys me to say, Tombstone is probaly gonna win, and I really don't want it to. It's a boring unimaginative bot, and thats one of the things that killed the original series, every bot was a pushbot, and boring fights.

To be fair though, unimaginative or not, at least Tombstone promises massive, theatrical damage. That puts it way above the old wedge/ram bots that dominated some seasons, as far as entertaining the casual viewer.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

To be fair though, unimaginative or not, at least Tombstone promises massive, theatrical damage. That puts it way above the old wedge/ram bots that dominated some seasons, as far as entertaining the casual viewer.

This is weirdly the problem with the active weapon rule, the best way to beat a spinner is to basically lob a brick shaped robot at it until the spinner kills itself via recoil.

with rams more or less banned, spinners have a huge advantage.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

This is weirdly the problem with the active weapon rule, the best way to beat a spinner is to basically lob a brick shaped robot at it until the spinner kills itself via recoil.

I wonder why we haven't seen some kind of piston system? I wonder if the physics is such that it would just make both robots fly.

• Options
    I actually really loved back in the day watching the meta change between seasons.

It was a real ebb and flow with the dominance of heavy weapons versus pushing tanks/wedges, going back and forth. While the push bots weren't the most exciting necessarily, it was fascinating how they would start to get outpaced by better weapons (or, simply, weapons better designed to counteract them), and then they'd change their own designs to combat the weapons, etc.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I think one of the main advantages that Tombstone has is how little it has to move its weapon. The fight started, the other robot charged, and it barely turned and destroyed it.

• Options
    Yeesh.

Was someone wondering if the hazards were going to be a factor this season? The screws earned their keep tonight.

That hurt to watch.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Okay guys, so uh

an American crew who built a big ass robot have challenged a Japanese crew to a giant robot duel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI&ab_channel=MegaBotsInc

AND THEY ACCEPTED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8mheM2Hrg&ab_channel=%E6%B0%B4%E9%81%93%E6%A9%8B%E9%87%8D%E5%B7%A5

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    This is how it starts...

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

I wonder why we haven't seen some kind of piston system? I wonder if the physics is such that it would just make both robots fly.

well, that's basically how bronco's flipper works

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Okay guys, so uh

an American crew who built a big ass robot have challenged a Japanese crew to a giant robot duel
    *snip*
    AND THEY ACCEPTED
    *snip*

Robot_Jox_screenshot.jpg
    Giant melee battle bots. Finally, my dreams are coming true.

The third episode's battles were kinda lackluster but Icewave was just a treat to watch again. That thing is just a damned monster.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I think it's only appropriate that we post this video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular

There's a part of me that sees a bot that obviously dominant and goes "oh, well it's just going to win and kill everything" but then on the other hand... if that's the kind of bot that's going to win, in theory everyone should just build exactly that robot.

If you play Magic: The Gathering, there are three player archetypes they talk about: Timmy, Johnny and Spike. Timmy basically wants to have fun and do big damage with spectacularly powerful stuff. Johnny wants to manipulate the rules and put together clever ways to play that are uniquely theirs. And spike just wants the deck that is mathematically designed to win. Those types of players are getting totally different experiences out of the game, and I think robot combat is fairly similar. Is it about domination? To some people, yeah. And some people just want to build something fun and see if their crazy idea works. That does mean the finals of any event tend to end up being Spike vs. Spike, but that's just competition for you.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    True, but on the other hand, Spikes can be beaten by Timmys, just cause of their completely randomness that, when it does work? Destroys.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    True, but on the other hand, Spikes can be beaten by Timmys, just cause of their completely randomness that, when it does work? Destroys.

Well yeah, but you're also talking about a card game that depends a little bit on luck of the draw in addition to strategy, so it's less likely... though that totally applies to bots as well.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I wonder if this is why Battlebots disappeared from US airwaves while still remaining in the UK, is the sentiments towards competition and sport. Yes there are some clear runaway winners, but it's still fun to watch the competition between the combatants. There's skill, strategy, and engineering at work the can be observed and admired. Take the battle between Stinger and Warhead. Stinger had them from the get go, but the operators of Warhead still were having a great time as it was just a great competition.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options

It's a classic meta change situation. One sees it in every game with evolving rules and designs. Full body spinners used to dominate. Then flippers replaced them. Then with self righting mechanisms those went out. Then there were a lot of low profile wedges. Now the horizontal spinners seem in.

Surely something will change eventually.

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

It's a classic meta change situation. One sees it in every game with evolving rules and designs. Full body spinners used to dominate. Then flippers replaced them. Then with self righting mechanisms those went out. Then there were a lot of low profile wedges. Now the horizontal spinners seem in.

Surely something will change eventually.

Next season: SRM's allowed to be mounted on robots to pick off the spinners from range.
    Next season after that: Laser weaponry.

Eventually things keep on scaling up until the driver has to ride around inside the robot, and we get Battletech.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, Tombstone is both fun to watch and super boring.

I hope some bot finds a way to beat it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Man, Tombstone is both fun to watch and super boring.

I hope some bot finds a way to beat it.

Its lost before in other competitions, but basically to a heavily armored wedge. It spun itself out.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    ROOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOTS

(Man, Radioactive got wrecked)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Cello wrote: »
    ROOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOTS

(Man, Radioactive got wrecked)

With all the "Radioactive sucks and Tombstone is unstoppable" talk from the announcers going into it, I was almost worried that Radioactive was gonna win somehow to satisfy a TV narrative. It made watching that dumb plastic robot getting torn up even better.

Daddy Two-Coats on