As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam]: Her Story, told by Lethargic Corgis dreaming of their Final Fantasy.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Like I said, mechanically it's a fun game (especially in co-op, although that is true for pretty much any game), it's just that I guess I prefer it when my games don't have have so many "references" that they can fill up an absolutely enormous webpage.

If you're aiming for comedy, I think that providing entertainment by relying on the user's knowledge of obscure to overplayed pop culture references is lazy. If you're looking at action games with comedic elements than compare a game like Borderlands 2 to a game like Psychonauts (which I thought was fucking hilarious) with their significant differences in tone and you'll see what I mean.

How do you feel about Saint's Row? SR3 had juvenile humour and references aplently.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I too played through Her Story after watching Berylline be a wizard for a few hours.
    I liked it a lot. It's an inventive way to tell a narrative. I find it interesting that people's process to getting through the various bits of information will probably be a bit different depending on what words they search first. Cool story and very well put together.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    f3rret wrote: »
    How do you feel about Saint's Row? SR3 had juvenile humour and references aplently.

Saints Row 3 was sorta at the upper limit for me. Having the Vanilla Ice "Ninja Rap" moves as a taunt is in the same ballpark as a guy radioing Top Gun quotes to me nonstop during a mission, but on the whole I think SR3 was at a 9/10, whereas Borderlands 2 was closer to a 15/10.

Honestly I never finished it because after a while every time I fired it up instead of doing more story missions I'd generally just end up spawning a jet at my rooftop airpad and flying around for a while or busting out the DLC tank and turning it into a mayhem simulator. Initially I wanted to finish it so I could start SR4, but I watched a huge chunk of the story of SR4 during Krummith's portion of the marathon stream back in 2014 so I figure it would be best to wait a couple years before I play it (the superpowers looked like a ton of fun) so I will hopefully have forgotten everything.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

Saints Row 3 was sorta at the upper limit for me. Having the Vanilla Ice "Ninja Rap" moves as a taunt is in the same ballpark as a guy radioing Top Gun quotes to me nonstop during a mission, but on the whole I think SR3 was at a 9/10, whereas Borderlands 2 was closer to a 15/10.

Honestly I never finished it because after a while every time I fired it up instead of doing more story missions I'd generally just end up spawning a jet at my rooftop airpad and flying around for a while or busting out the DLC tank and turning it into a mayhem simulator. Initially I wanted to finish it so I could start SR4, but I watched a huge chunk of the story of SR4 during Krummith's portion of the marathon stream back in 2014 so I figure it would be best to wait a couple years before I play it (the superpowers looked like a ton of fun) so I will hopefully have forgotten everything.

There is hope for you, then.

:bro:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I see this disparagement against pop-culture references in Borderlands 2 and then I just kind of glance over at Final Fantasy 14, where almost every quest title is some kind of reference. Ranges from blatant (Guildhest: Heroes on the Half-Shell) to subtle. The actual quest dialogue doesn't do it though.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Madican wrote: »
    I see this disparagement against pop-culture references in Borderlands 2 and then I just kind of glance over at Final Fantasy 14, where almost every quest title is some kind of reference. Ranges from blatant (Guildhest: Heroes on the Half-Shell) to subtle. The actual quest dialogue doesn't do it though.

How much of that is original (from the Japanese release), and how much of it is part of Square's desperate attempts to appeal to the west?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I think Borderlands only feels "plinky" at the early levels of the game when you've got like 2 basic weapons and like 1 skill point. Which is admittedly a bit of a problem, though it's something a lot of action-RPGs suffer from. But it's not near the whole experience.

This is how Borderlands felt from start to finish for me; I ran through it once, as Roland. Maybe I never found any good weapons, but then, that's part of the problem with the game. If RNG doesn't bless you, you're gonna have a bad time.

BLands 2 was largely the same; so much so that I never finished it. Everything is such a gorram slog in those games, every enemy is a bullet sponge, and it's just not fun to run out of ammo constantly because it takes everything you have to kill single mobs.

The RNG was one issue I have with BL2. Thankfully by the time I picked it up there were so many keys available via Shift codes that I could hit up the special chest for new weapons if the RNG wasn't being helpful.

Another issue was that some areas seemed like they were clearly tuned to co-op play and not single player. They were murder on some builds that weren't as heavily optimized for doing things solo or if the RNG had not been helpful with drops.

Finally some bits seemed to be balanced around the Slag mechanic. A debuff that makes an enemy take double damage is theoretically very strong to the point where things had to be made too strong to take down without Slag effects or else they would be too easy with them.

Quite fun most of the time but frustrating spots could easily pop up for many players.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Man please don't start an argument over an opinion. Smokes is allowed to not like something you all like, just like I get crap for not really liking Bastion. I think the story was solid and the game itself was ok, but the controls were too imprecise for me to say, yes I love this game.

• Options
    Man please don't start an argument over an opinion. Smokes is allowed to not like something you all like, just like I get crap for not really liking Bastion. I think the story was solid and the game itself was ok, but the controls were too imprecise for me to say, yes I love this game.

I thought we were discussing, and not arguing? We were being pretty civil, for the most part.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Madican wrote: »

How much of that is original (from the Japanese release), and how much of it is part of Square's desperate attempts to appeal to the west?

I'm pretty sure much of it is the localization team playing silly buggers with quest names and the incidental text nobody reads, though as far back as 1.0 they had at least one Radiohead fan on staff.

Not gonna lie, I giggled for a good fifteen seconds over holiday event NPCs labeled "east end boy" and "west end girl."

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Well that sucks... didn't get the job after months of interviews.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that, @cardboard delusions . :(

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Well that sucks... didn't get the job after months of interviews.

It's okay, man. We can be hobos together. :bro:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Got food poisoning before work, after tossing my cookies and cleaning the smell from my mustache, I ran into a high school crush I had.

She said I looked handsome. This really made my day, cookie and stomach issues aside.
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    I haven't had solid bowel movement since Saturday.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Is that from Borderlands or Bulletstorm?

• Options

Yogurt Cup, seriously, its like my GI tract is being led by Ed Harris and Chris Evans is challenging him for control while the dude from Old Boy is trying to set up a bomb.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Yogurt Cup, seriously, its like my GI tract is being led by Ed Harris and Chris Evans is challenging him for control while the dude from Old Boy is trying to set up a bomb.

'All your bowels belong to us! You have no chance to survive make your movement!'

• Options

'All your bowels belong to us! You have no chance to survive make your movement!'

I shall see see fiber driven before me and hear the lamination of my intestinal villa.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    About 2 hours left for OlliOlli:

signature.png

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    And Smokestacks wonders why juvenile humor appeals to us here...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I shall see see fiber driven before me and hear the lamination of my intestinal villa.

Cut this shit out.
    Sorry, not sorry.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Only like, two percent of those are jokes, dude. And those that are jokes are usually out of the way and not part of the main dialogue.

I say this not as an insult, but I'm pretty sure you don't think 98% of them are jokes because you are too young to "get" them. You might not have been around for Darkman or Captain Planet or Major League, for example.
    Dude, it explains the origin of the reference on there, being too young for it isn't an issue. It's just that calling something "Down the rabbit hole" isn't a joke, it's just a gorram reference that doesn't have to be funny.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Only like, two percent of those are jokes, dude. And those that are jokes are usually out of the way and not part of the main dialogue.

I say this not as an insult, but I'm pretty sure you don't think 98% of them are jokes because you are too young to "get" them. You might not have been around for Darkman or Captain Planet or Major League, for example.
    Dude, it explains the origin of the reference on there, being too young for it isn't an issue. It's just that calling something "Down the rabbit hole" isn't a joke, it's just a gorram reference that doesn't have to be funny.

Are you telling me you didn't burst into hysterics at the obvious joke that they named a Zero skin after DC's Blue Beetle? Preposterous! Clearly a joke!

Corpekata on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    And Smokestacks wonders why juvenile humor appeals to us here...

Oh, I don't think he wonders.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »

signature.png

Congrats @Gear Girl ! You are teh winnar! I think I sent the key (humble gift) through SteamGifts, but let me know if that didn't work.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Think I've discovered all I can about Her Story without just typing random stuff and have never cared for 100 percenting stuff anyway. Fantastic game and I hope to see more like it.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Finished the main story mode in Back to Bed last night. It's a fun little game with great visuals, but can be a little frustrating towards the end. I had to watch a walkthrough for the last few chapters to beat them, except the final chapter (Yay!).

Do I recommend it? Yes, but only if you can get it really cheap, as I managed to beat it in 1.6 hours. There's also a nightmare mode after you complete the main story, which I assume is there for a more challenging experience, but I'm personally fine with ending the game on normal.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    For those of you that like visual novels Indie Gala has a bundle full of em.

https://indiegala.com/monday

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular

signature.png

Congrats @Gear Girl ! You are teh winnar! I think I sent the key (humble gift) through SteamGifts, but let me know if that didn't work.

Thanks!

• Options
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/364840/

Interesting. N20 has been released on Steam and appears to be an emulated PS1 game. Never had a PC port. It's published by a company called Console Classics and they apparently have a stable of about 30 PSX era games it appears they are planning to "port." Not a lot of great games or anything, but some mild curiosities. I am, for one interested in D, the first game by Swery65. Other notables include Battle Arena Toshiden 2, Loaded and Reloaded, and Koudelka

List here: http://consoleclassics.co/?page_id=15

No time table for release.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Interesting. N20 has been released on Steam and appears to be an emulated PS1 game. Never had a PC port. It's published by a company called Console Classics and they apparently have a stable of about 30 PSX era games it appears they are planning to "port." Not a lot of great games or anything, but some mild curiosities. I am, for one interested in D, the first game by Swery65. Other notables include Battle Arena Toshiden 2, Loaded and Reloaded, and Koudelka

Koudelka was really good, and that's coming from someone who played it for the first time in 2010 - so it's not just the rose-coloured glasses talking.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I have been gone from the forum to long. We have new emote clickies?

Also, what did I miss for shade to get a pen?

But last, the reason I came was to ask a question. For reasons completely not related to the thread, anyone know how the gifting of a steam link work?

The check out pages says
    "Steam Link" can be gifted to an address within your country during checkout.

Does it charge you shipping and handling? I'm not sure if anyone has done stuff like this yet, but I figured if there was a place crazy enough to do it, here would be were.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @shade just has to hit back! Thanks for the awesome Unium, it's a blast!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Think I've discovered all I can about Her Story without just typing random stuff and have never cared for 100 percenting stuff anyway. Fantastic game and I hope to see more like it.

There's a sneaky way to get all the videos you're missing
    Notice how every video has the "BLANK" tag? Search for "BLANK" and you'll get every video as a result. Delete the tag as you watch them and then re-search for "BLANK" again. Repeat until you're down to the last video. I managed about 80% of them on my own and then mopped up the details with this trick. A lot of the leftover ones were quick out of context answers to questions and one or two word statements, so luckily I had already gotten almost of the "story".

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular

Notice how every video has the "BLANK" tag? Search for "BLANK" and you'll get every video as a result. Delete the tag as you watch them and then re-search for "BLANK" again. Repeat until you're down to the last video. I managed about 80% of them on my own and then mopped up the details with this trick. A lot of the leftover ones were quick out of context answers to questions and one or two word statements, so luckily I had already gotten almost of the "story".

Yeah we'd managed to get roughly 90% of them unlocked naturally. But,
    But there was a chunk all in a row that was bugging me. Finally dug them up with the Blank trick. I knew it was the lie detector section because I had the start and end, but couldn't come up with a search that worked to fill them in.
    They were literally just "Yes" or "No" answers. And deep enough in a search for just Yes wouldn't catch it.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

That's not correct. D was made by Kenji Eno. He made that, D2, and Enemy Zero. He was has sadly passed away.

Shame they didn't get D2 though because that's....an actual sort of good game. Which D...really isn't.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

Yeah we'd managed to get roughly 90% of them unlocked naturally. But,
    But there was a chunk all in a row that was bugging me. Finally dug them up with the Blank trick. I knew it was the lie detector section because I had the start and end, but couldn't come up with a search that worked to fill them in.
    They were literally just "Yes" or "No" answers. And deep enough in a search for just Yes wouldn't catch it.
    You have to type it with quotation marks to find all the "yes" and "no" videos. Took me a while to figure that out.

There's are better, less cheesy ways to get 100% though, if you get far enough
    after the credits roll the guy tells you to type admin_random to get a random video. Maybe I got lucky, but I think it only gives you videos you haven't found yet. He also hints at unlocking the admin account, see if you can figure that one out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Got an old promo code from a gpu. Enjoy! Old game, but still quite good. Open to adventure team.

signature.png

This discussion has been closed.