As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

MadicanMadican No faceRegistered User regular
Old one closed, let the new one rise.

Today I was diverted into the mailroom due to their temp employees being gone now, so all OA's and OT's will be assisting in here about twice a month. It's not bad. No phone to answer, no constant errands, just me and many boxes of mail to process.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    First day at the new job. They bought me lunch from this Italian place. Good stuff!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Oh hi there, job thread. Thanks @Madican. Lack of phone is the best ever.

Will to work is completely sapped. Been doing several meetings for our new database where the developer walks us through item by item.

Don't fall asleep... don't fall asleep...

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Heh.

We're doing a rollback to our previous system before the shit-ass rollout. Too bad the servers migrated to Chicago instead of three floors up we had on Friday.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    United is the worst. Really wish they hadn't bought Continental.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have a special hatred for fillable PDF forms that won't let me save a copy, blank or otherwise, when I know I will be using it very often. Meaning I will need to go to the website, find the link, and fill in everything again and again and again.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So! I've been waiting to hear back on the job I applied for back in... January?
    Should know sometime in july once the org chart is published where I will end up.
    I've been told either it will be helpdesk but a level higher in pay OR I'll be a sys admin and can maybe not have to talk to end users on the phone anymore.
    I really really don't like talking on the phone.
    So cross any free fingers you have.
    Then keep them like that for a month.
    Thanks.

Edit: My count of computer issues mysteriously fixed the moment I walk into a room is up to 5 today!

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Asking this old lady about her chest pain and out of nowhere she says something like "Obama is a jackass. We should impeach him."

I was like, "uhhh okay"

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Asking this old lady about her chest pain and out of nowhere she says something like "Obama is a jackass. We should impeach him."

I was like, "uhhh okay"

See I would think this was my grandma except I'm not sure she's know who Obama was. She'd probably be bitching about, like, Carter or something.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I do think the ornary old people who complain about every president are too often lumped in with the racist dudes who only hate Obama because he's a black liberal. Mostly because they fit the stereotype in other ways.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Started a plan with a few friends to work on a video game again. It'll at least be something with which to occupy my time between sending out job applications and never hearing back from any of them. Hopefully this time will work out. Of course neither of them seem likely to become a gamergator which is what ended the previous attempt with a different friend.

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    :(

At least the health care company I interviewed at had the decency to let me know I didn't get the job.

So, now I am a contractor for a contractor at Microsoft.

At least I think I am.

Today was supposed to be my start date, but apparently the manager is out of the office for an emergency so my start date has been slid to Wednesday at the earliest.

:rotate:

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    i have an application in to SpaceX and looked like I was heading towards an in-person interview then their rocket blew up. going to guess they're got other crap on their minds than interviews and would want to slow their roll on hiring until things shake out..

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Walked into the men's room, every stall and urinal was occupied, so my brain immediately kicked into "Too many dicks on my floor" as paraphrased from Flight of the Concords.

I need new hobbies.

And possibly more human interaction outside of work.

Edit: Aaaaaaaand just saw a dude washing his feet in the sink.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So I found out today that someone very important to me being able to do my job is secretly looking for a new position somewhere else. If this person gets replaced it could mean really really bad things for me depending on what the new person would want to do.

Ugh. I'm just not sure what else I should be doing for my own job search.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Slacker71 wrote: »

At least the health care company I interviewed at had the decency to let me know I didn't get the job.

At least I think I am.

Today was supposed to be my start date, but apparently the manager is out of the office for an emergency so my start date has been slid to Wednesday at the earliest.

I hope MS has gotten better about how they treat orange badges.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    contractor4lyfe

Seriously I've been on this contract for nearly 18 months and just found out they've got a new thing going on that looks to be kicking the can down the road a good six months on the whole will they / won't they give me a permanent job.

Gonna retire as a contractor.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oofda

One of our Mac users did an rm -rf of his Applications folder

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ahahahaa sorry i shouldn't laugh

• Options
    Oh, good news! my severance package has just gone up by the cost of one (1) dinner at a low-to-mid-range indian restaurant.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    so working retail at an outlet store at the height of tourist season kind of sucks if anyone was wondering

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I was basically sympathy half-laughing the whole time I was on the line with him

Just like

DAMN my Monday could be way worse

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Slacker71 wrote: »

At least I think I am.

I hope MS has gotten better about how they treat orange badges.

According to my brother who until last week was also a contractor there for about a month it has gotten worse under the new CEO.

He was supposed to be testing Windows 10 for phones. Due to past problems with abuse of SIM cards it takes VP approval for non employees to be issued one. So he couldn't do much testing.

• Options
    And actually

It wasn't his Applications folder

He did it from the root

whoops.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I was basically sympathy half-laughing the whole time I was on the line with him

Just like

DAMN my Monday could be way worse

How do you even do this without realizing exactly what it's going to do? There's several steps logic that not only have to be missed but gone right over the banister.

• Options
    And actually

It wasn't his Applications folder

He did it from the root

whoops.jpg

I um hmmm
    I assume regular full backups are a thing that exists ...

• Options
    Well I mean, his home directory is backed up to the network automatically... so... there's that?

And...

Yeah we're gonna have some fun reinstalling stuff.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Looks like I got a freelance gig out of nowhere! Helping do some animation on an indie film for the next 3 weeks.

What's the freelance version of a red panda?

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Oh, good news! my severance package has just gone up by the cost of one (1) dinner at a low-to-mid-range indian restaurant.

If you get stuck at Patchouli Garden, make sure not to fill up on the All-You-Can-Eat naan and cucumber salad.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    While I've never done anything that bad, on a linux system I once tried to clear out a bunch of temporary files some program was creating (which were all "filename.whatever~" by going "rm -rf *~" but I accidentally snuck a space in there so I hit enter on "rm -rf * ~" and the command just deleted every file in the folder and also started deleting my entire home folder before I realized and stopped it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Get all the tandoori to go

• Options
    My guess is it was something along those lines. He was trying to remove files left over from a program.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    At least it wasn't something like mkfs.ext4 with a typo on the drive partition.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hello job thread, I have job trubs.

Spoilered for length

I work at a school as a secretary. When I started there were 3 of us in the office. We told the principal we were getting swamped with phone calls, people coming in for any number of things, and our regular work for the admins, and could use the help of an aide or TA (and used to have one that regularly came in to help us but we were told she was not allowed to work in our office anymore).

So she sends in the Attendance Aide to help us. Her "help" involves not doing her own job very quick/efficiently and never answering any of the phones or really doing anything to provide relief for us, and also being a busy body and nosy pain in the backside. So that went over like a lead balloon. There was friction mainly between her and the other 2 secretaries I work with (I tend to just let people who annoy me be and ignore their annoying habits, for the most part).

Fast forward 5-6 months and tensions are at an all time high. The admins (3 of them) call the 4 of us into a meeting with our union president (the 4 of us are in the same union). Then its a back and forth of she's not any help at all, this one is very mean/rude towards me, "I'm not a secretary its not my job" (when she was supposedly moved to help us out when she had the availability), and her complaining that she gets paid less (she was told the terms of her employment when she interviewed).

So that little mediation session really did nothing to help. And then they hired a security guard who made matters worse, and became the pain in the butt's best buddy. We fast forward to around...3-4 months ago? And the big blow up finally happens, that literally anyone (but our boss apparently) could se coming. Side note about the boss/principal: she doesn't make a single decision on her own, always has to call district for everything while the other buildings will, 9 times out of 10, keep everything in their own house. And has taken turns throwing the 3 of us under the bus for various reasons. She's a lacking leader.

Anyway, so the incident occured Friday midday. By the end of the day we had thought everything was hashed out, the aide was finally going to be moved out of the office and to a different part of the building, we would live with being back to where we were when I started (because at least we would be happy). We were told the following Monday we would have the President of our union back (he's a guy who works in the district) and we would just have a final meeting to sort of clear the air. That sounded great. That wasn't what happened.

So the boss went to her bosses with this info (and from the advice of one of her associate principal's, who also buys into the sympathy act the aide plays (which isn't difficult because its the 3 of us against "poor little" 1 of her)) and springs on us on Monday morning that we would be going over to the district office to meet with the HR manager. District office, by the way, is connected to our building (another thing that sucks).

Then a few hours later, when the President arrives, we're informed that meeting is not only going to be with HR, but with all of my boss's bosses. So now we knew we were being set up. It was basically an ambush, firing squad style "meeting." It was more like the way you would discuss an incident with children when they have misbehaved rather than an open conversation among adults about what is going wrong and how we can work to fix it. And that's been the main problem. Rather than discussing anything with their employees, they just either talk at you or direct you to do something and that's that. These methods, while effective with children, are not suited for dealing with problems in the workplace.

There's a whole bunch of other shit that went down at this meeting that was highly unprofessional (including one of the Asst. Superintendents actually yelling and embarrassing one of my coworkers in the middle of a hallway at the district office and treating her like even MORE of a child than they had been doing to start.

So finally, the end result of all this, as we're told by the principal, is that the aide would be transfered to another building in the district. That was like at the end of the week from the Monday meeting at the district office back in March/April.

A couple of weeks ago we asked the principal if/when we would be informed of any transfers and when we would get our end of year evaluations. She tells us the last day of school (the teachers and TAs all get theirs the week before so we were hoping that we would be treated to the same courtesy, har har). So then Friday, the last day of school, rolls around and she tells us "no, Monday." Which was even more ridiculous because now we have this cloud hanging over us the whole weekend. Finally, today, at the very last part of the day right before we were to leave, she calls us all in 1 by 1. Both of the two ladies I worked with for my first 2 and a half years in the district are being moved, split into 2 different buildings. I'm being left behind to deal with the pain in the butt aide and two transfers from the other buildings they are being moved to, both of whom come with their own set of problems (one is apparently lazy with her work, the other a hard ass and very difficult person to work with).

So today has really fucking sucked, job thread. I feel like I'm losing family and they're being replaced with strangers.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So, IT help desk folk, what do I gotta do to get into your field. Do I need a degree?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Hello job thread, I have job trubs.

Spoilered for length

I work at a school as a secretary. When I started there were 3 of us in the office. We told the principal we were getting swamped with phone calls, people coming in for any number of things, and our regular work for the admins, and could use the help of an aide or TA (and used to have one that regularly came in to help us but we were told she was not allowed to work in our office anymore).

So she sends in the Attendance Aide to help us. Her "help" involves not doing her own job very quick/efficiently and never answering any of the phones or really doing anything to provide relief for us, and also being a busy body and nosy pain in the backside. So that went over like a lead balloon. There was friction mainly between her and the other 2 secretaries I work with (I tend to just let people who annoy me be and ignore their annoying habits, for the most part).

Fast forward 5-6 months and tensions are at an all time high. The admins (3 of them) call the 4 of us into a meeting with our union president (the 4 of us are in the same union). Then its a back and forth of she's not any help at all, this one is very mean/rude towards me, "I'm not a secretary its not my job" (when she was supposedly moved to help us out when she had the availability), and her complaining that she gets paid less (she was told the terms of her employment when she interviewed).

So that little mediation session really did nothing to help. And then they hired a security guard who made matters worse, and became the pain in the butt's best buddy. We fast forward to around...3-4 months ago? And the big blow up finally happens, that literally anyone (but our boss apparently) could se coming. Side note about the boss/principal: she doesn't make a single decision on her own, always has to call district for everything while the other buildings will, 9 times out of 10, keep everything in their own house. And has taken turns throwing the 3 of us under the bus for various reasons. She's a lacking leader.

Anyway, so the incident occured Friday midday. By the end of the day we had thought everything was hashed out, the aide was finally going to be moved out of the office and to a different part of the building, we would live with being back to where we were when I started (because at least we would be happy). We were told the following Monday we would have the President of our union back (he's a guy who works in the district) and we would just have a final meeting to sort of clear the air. That sounded great. That wasn't what happened.

So the boss went to her bosses with this info (and from the advice of one of her associate principal's, who also buys into the sympathy act the aide plays (which isn't difficult because its the 3 of us against "poor little" 1 of her)) and springs on us on Monday morning that we would be going over to the district office to meet with the HR manager. District office, by the way, is connected to our building (another thing that sucks).

Then a few hours later, when the President arrives, we're informed that meeting is not only going to be with HR, but with all of my boss's bosses. So now we knew we were being set up. It was basically an ambush, firing squad style "meeting." It was more like the way you would discuss an incident with children when they have misbehaved rather than an open conversation among adults about what is going wrong and how we can work to fix it. And that's been the main problem. Rather than discussing anything with their employees, they just either talk at you or direct you to do something and that's that. These methods, while effective with children, are not suited for dealing with problems in the workplace.

There's a whole bunch of other shit that went down at this meeting that was highly unprofessional (including one of the Asst. Superintendents actually yelling and embarrassing one of my coworkers in the middle of a hallway at the district office and treating her like even MORE of a child than they had been doing to start.

So finally, the end result of all this, as we're told by the principal, is that the aide would be transfered to another building in the district. That was like at the end of the week from the Monday meeting at the district office back in March/April.

A couple of weeks ago we asked the principal if/when we would be informed of any transfers and when we would get our end of year evaluations. She tells us the last day of school (the teachers and TAs all get theirs the week before so we were hoping that we would be treated to the same courtesy, har har). So then Friday, the last day of school, rolls around and she tells us "no, Monday." Which was even more ridiculous because now we have this cloud hanging over us the whole weekend. Finally, today, at the very last part of the day right before we were to leave, she calls us all in 1 by 1. Both of the two ladies I worked with for my first 2 and a half years in the district are being moved, split into 2 different buildings. I'm being left behind to deal with the pain in the butt aide and two transfers from the other buildings they are being moved to, both of whom come with their own set of problems (one is apparently lazy with her work, the other a hard ass and very difficult person to work with).

So today has really fucking sucked, job thread. I feel like I'm losing family and they're being replaced with strangers.

:bro: Goose :bro: , that sounds like they are actively trying to make you just not give a fuck.

I especially like the part where they repeatedly lie to you about what they're going to do.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i have an application in to SpaceX and looked like I was heading towards an in-person interview then their rocket blew up. going to guess they're got other crap on their minds than interviews and would want to slow their roll on hiring until things shake out..

I used to work around the corner from there. I mean, literally around the corner. About a quarter mile away, and most of that was parking lot.
    I've also known a few people who worked there, but none that I was close enough to put in a word for you. Sorry.

• Options
    I'm curious what this lady has on these folks that they move 2 people rather than just move her but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    My guess is it was something along those lines. He was trying to remove files left over from a program.

And Unix vets wonder why I'm scared of command line.

Just because I can walk a straight line doesn't mean I can cross a high wire without a net.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    We had a vacation employee start with us last week. She is studying law and wanted to get some experience in a legal unit. Which is great! Good on her!

But dang if she hasn't been acting super judgey and pretentious after the first few days. It literally feels like she's trying to act like a Movie Lawyer or something.

Just calm your farm, lady. This is not how you make friends.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I used to work around the corner from there. I mean, literally around the corner. About a quarter mile away, and most of that was parking lot.
    I've also known a few people who worked there, but none that I was close enough to put in a word for you. Sorry.

I got a guy on the inside already. Thanks though.

This discussion has been closed.