As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    The sandwich machine in the canteen at work is now full of Lunchables, and the snack machine has two slots of animal crackers.

It's like I'm 10 again.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    My guess is it was something along those lines. He was trying to remove files left over from a program.

And Unix vets wonder why I'm scared of command line.

Just because I can walk a straight line doesn't mean I can cross a high wire without a net.

Eh, what's the worst that can happen?

Besides scaring Unix guys is fun, due to my work we basically have to have the golden ticket to every single production server. I took one of our new hires over to IT to get their access set up once and watched the Unix guy go "No seriously why do you need this, do you even know what this means?". I think he would have preferred to try and shit a brick.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    And really, by doing "rm -rf" you're basically saying "screw it, I don't need a net" despite being offered one.

Like, you can do that perfectly well on Windows, too: "deltree c: /y" or some such.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I can't really focus on work today because I found out my dad's gone into hospital with unexplained seizures and I'm thousands of miles away. Weee.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    :(

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so, our company has been officially purchased. again. This is an Aussie company that is trying to become like the Unilever of ISPs for both countries.

To celebrate, they got us all little stuffed animals! I got a little stuffed wombat! It's made a home right by my keyboard.

To also Celebrate (?) there will be a significant restructuring happening! We're fairly sure that my direct manager and his boss are likely in danger for their jobs, but our positions are currently safe. Although there is talk of merging all of the provisioning teams together into one big thing across all 3 of our major brands here in NZ. Which could be, interesting. It makes sense, but it's interesting.

Of course this is all the hearsay that we picked up on, and eavesdropped from the big announcement meeting that they had at the office today. Which we, the employees, were not invited to. Only managers and Team Leaders were invited. Of course they had the meeting in the big open space behind where my department sits, so we could hear most of it. But still, kind of rude to be like "hey! we're likely to be changing the entire way that you're going to be working eventually, but you don't need to know any of the details!"

But, what we did overhear was that there's now going to be 7 weeks paid (by the company) maternity leave (or Primary caregiver leave) added onto the 16 paid weeks that the government provides. And 2 weeks paid for the paternal (secondary caregiver) leave as well. So for me, that's 23 paid weeks of maternity leave, although the majority of that is at a reduced income rate, but still! That's almost half a year! How bloody awesome is that!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The other day I let a truck driver onto our ramp; He was older, probably 60s, and when he got out of his truck he said "Hey, cool beard!" And grabbed a bit of it and gave it a slight tug.

It was one of those moments where you're too confused to do anything other than act like nothing happened.; unsure if you want to laugh or be mad.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    My friends and I were pulled into a meeting last week where we were told that the company can't afford the Japan trip so they're trying to cancel it. It's a work trip to support an install we're contracted for though, so who knows what the hell is going to happen. Ever since, the important people keep insisting that it could still happen and we might still go, but I've learned at this company that just means they're going to dangle it for as long as possible in front of us and take it away at the last second. Morale has bottomed out.
    On top of that, my manager went on to describe just how shitty the next, oooh, two years or so are going to be due to the simultaneous integration of new hardware, new software, and new vendors.
    However, two friends contacted me this past week for my resume out of the blue, and @mully just finished helping me update mine, so I'm going to start applying for stuff again. It's too bad I just signed a year lease less than a month ago...

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I can't praise mully's work enough, by the way. My old resume looked like it was written by teenager, and my new one looks super fancy and professional. I'm not embarrassed to send it out anymore!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    So, IT help desk folk, what do I gotta do to get into your field. Do I need a degree?

Degrees certainly help, as do certifications. Honestly check local consulting/temp agencies. Help Desk is always in demand, but it's apparently become so entry level that it doesn't even count as a "real" job anymore. Why give you benefits for being help desk?

I'm not bitter.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    If you're trying to bust into IT from the outside be prepared to start at the very bottom after you get some certifications which is the help desk and you'll probably have to start out on contract.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I called in again today because why not

I'll go to work tomorrow

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I have been a goddamn mess these past few weeks.

On Sunday I called my boss drunk. By the time he returned the call 30 minutes later I'd forgotten I left a voicemail for him.
    Then he came out and we got pizza. I like my boss.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna take Thursday off barring any developments.

I'm only working a 6 hour day that day anyway.

Our official work schedule is 4 9s and a 4, but everyone is allowed to work 4 10s. Unfortunately this means when holidays fall on Friday or Saturday they treat them like 4 hour days. It especially sucks this year because Christmas and New Years are on Fridays too.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Hello job thread, I have job trubs.

Spoilered for length

I work at a school as a secretary. When I started there were 3 of us in the office. We told the principal we were getting swamped with phone calls, people coming in for any number of things, and our regular work for the admins, and could use the help of an aide or TA (and used to have one that regularly came in to help us but we were told she was not allowed to work in our office anymore).

So she sends in the Attendance Aide to help us. Her "help" involves not doing her own job very quick/efficiently and never answering any of the phones or really doing anything to provide relief for us, and also being a busy body and nosy pain in the backside. So that went over like a lead balloon. There was friction mainly between her and the other 2 secretaries I work with (I tend to just let people who annoy me be and ignore their annoying habits, for the most part).

Fast forward 5-6 months and tensions are at an all time high. The admins (3 of them) call the 4 of us into a meeting with our union president (the 4 of us are in the same union). Then its a back and forth of she's not any help at all, this one is very mean/rude towards me, "I'm not a secretary its not my job" (when she was supposedly moved to help us out when she had the availability), and her complaining that she gets paid less (she was told the terms of her employment when she interviewed).

So that little mediation session really did nothing to help. And then they hired a security guard who made matters worse, and became the pain in the butt's best buddy. We fast forward to around...3-4 months ago? And the big blow up finally happens, that literally anyone (but our boss apparently) could se coming. Side note about the boss/principal: she doesn't make a single decision on her own, always has to call district for everything while the other buildings will, 9 times out of 10, keep everything in their own house. And has taken turns throwing the 3 of us under the bus for various reasons. She's a lacking leader.

Anyway, so the incident occured Friday midday. By the end of the day we had thought everything was hashed out, the aide was finally going to be moved out of the office and to a different part of the building, we would live with being back to where we were when I started (because at least we would be happy). We were told the following Monday we would have the President of our union back (he's a guy who works in the district) and we would just have a final meeting to sort of clear the air. That sounded great. That wasn't what happened.

So the boss went to her bosses with this info (and from the advice of one of her associate principal's, who also buys into the sympathy act the aide plays (which isn't difficult because its the 3 of us against "poor little" 1 of her)) and springs on us on Monday morning that we would be going over to the district office to meet with the HR manager. District office, by the way, is connected to our building (another thing that sucks).

Then a few hours later, when the President arrives, we're informed that meeting is not only going to be with HR, but with all of my boss's bosses. So now we knew we were being set up. It was basically an ambush, firing squad style "meeting." It was more like the way you would discuss an incident with children when they have misbehaved rather than an open conversation among adults about what is going wrong and how we can work to fix it. And that's been the main problem. Rather than discussing anything with their employees, they just either talk at you or direct you to do something and that's that. These methods, while effective with children, are not suited for dealing with problems in the workplace.

There's a whole bunch of other shit that went down at this meeting that was highly unprofessional (including one of the Asst. Superintendents actually yelling and embarrassing one of my coworkers in the middle of a hallway at the district office and treating her like even MORE of a child than they had been doing to start.

So finally, the end result of all this, as we're told by the principal, is that the aide would be transfered to another building in the district. That was like at the end of the week from the Monday meeting at the district office back in March/April.

A couple of weeks ago we asked the principal if/when we would be informed of any transfers and when we would get our end of year evaluations. She tells us the last day of school (the teachers and TAs all get theirs the week before so we were hoping that we would be treated to the same courtesy, har har). So then Friday, the last day of school, rolls around and she tells us "no, Monday." Which was even more ridiculous because now we have this cloud hanging over us the whole weekend. Finally, today, at the very last part of the day right before we were to leave, she calls us all in 1 by 1. Both of the two ladies I worked with for my first 2 and a half years in the district are being moved, split into 2 different buildings. I'm being left behind to deal with the pain in the butt aide and two transfers from the other buildings they are being moved to, both of whom come with their own set of problems (one is apparently lazy with her work, the other a hard ass and very difficult person to work with).

So today has really fucking sucked, job thread. I feel like I'm losing family and they're being replaced with strangers.

That royally blows. My only hope is that maybe the new setup will be equally as shitty, and they will finally realize it's the aide that's the root cause of it.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Well shit has hit the fan in entirely predictable ways (though I did expect it to take longer than a single day!), with a client turning up with a contractually obligated half done project than none of us left really know how to do (I suspect the now redundant senior consultants who agreed to the work didn't know how to do it either).

The few survivors have got to piece together the notes of the worlds laziest engineer and deliver this shitfest to the clients satisfaction. It's really frustrating since I was told this wouldn't happen when I raised concerns last week about the redundancy - whatever senior management might think contributing 10 pages six months ago does not make me able to finish the other 990 pages of a multidisciplinary report.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    From Friday, I'm available for freelance consulting. I know nothing whatsoever about your field, but hey.

edit: also this kind of forward-thinking does not bode well for your company's ability to stay in business.

tynic on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    So I've been getting a significant amount of LinkedIn messages from recruiters lately. I'm guessing because my current title sounds impressive or something.

What's the best thing to do with them? Ignore? Reply with a thanks but no thanks? See which ones I might be interested in and only reply with a thanks but no thanks to those?

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ask them what they're paying.
    Unless you're really interested in one of the jobs then maybe be less of a dick about it.
    Or you could also just not be a dick, that too is an option. So what you first said.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    So I've been getting a significant amount of LinkedIn messages from recruiters lately. I'm guessing because my current title sounds impressive or something.

What's the best thing to do with them? Ignore? Reply with a thanks but no thanks? See which ones I might be interested in and only reply with a thanks but no thanks to those?

It depends on the recruiter. If they're just a body shop and sending me everything that's just a 6-month contract position, I ignore them. If they're a little smarter about what they send you, I'll usually hear them out. And for the handful of good recruiters, I'm usually willing to spend some time talking to them just to find out what's going on the industry and see what they have available and what's coming up. And I'll usually send some of their jobs on to my friends if there's something that matches up.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    From Friday, I'm available for freelance consulting. I know nothing whatsoever about your field, but hey.

edit: also this kind of forward-thinking does not bode well for your company's ability to stay in business.

Thanks tynic! if I find the maths easy you could do it in your sleep :), but the two main problems are a) sourcing numbers to put into the maths out of thousands engineering diagrams and descriptions (and guessing the ones we don't have) and b) client mind reading to work out what they actually think they should be receiving because the handover notes are so unclear. So we need more of a psychic librarian type than an ursine robotologist.

The company I work for, like many other FTSE-100 companies, relies on inertia to roll over resistance instead of forward thinking.

• Options
    ha, I'm sure I'd have no clue at all. Sounds like a frickin nightmare.

That said, if anyone DOES need technical advice at competitive rates...

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I'm coming to the slow realization that I may be annoyed by this job and many of the people in it.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Looks like I got a freelance gig out of nowhere! Helping do some animation on an indie film for the next 3 weeks.

What's the freelance version of a red panda?

image.png

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Re: LinkedIn

I try to hear all of them out. You never know when it could be to your benefit, rather than theirs.

If it is something silly, like a 6 month temp contract, you roll your eyes and politely decline.
    "Thank you for the offer, however I'm looking for something permanent. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Regards,

Nija"

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Trying to do a search on "Navi_rule" at work. Nothing comes up.

Type it into google...
    First return is Navi Rule 34.

Yeah, that's not what I'm looking for.

EVER.

Edit: Navi is short in my company for Navisphere, an interface tool for storage servers.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Type it into google...

EVER.

Edit: Navi is short in my company for Navisphere, an interface tool for storage servers.

Your IT people are going to be giving you the side-eye in the halls for a while.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Spent the last couple days writing a report on a project that had no work done whatsoever. I also had only vaguely heard about it before, I certainly wasn't part of writing the proposal or any meetings that took place in the planning phase.

So I'm basically looking at the grant for what should have been done in the last 6 months and making shit up as I go. It's as fun as it sounds. The only silver lining is that it won't have my name anywhere near it so if this blows up (and it probably won't anyway) it doesn't go in my face.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm coming to the slow realization that I may be annoyed by this job and many of the people in it.

In a just universe, there would have been a rain of balloons, streamers and confetti falling from above, plus a banner unfurling to reveal some kind of congratulary slogan, as soon as you clicked post.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Type it into google...

EVER.

Your IT people are going to be giving you the side-eye in the halls for a while.

Luckily I never actually clicked on any of the links and I had several other searchers before with similar terms.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yesterday I made fake forum accounts for Jurassic World characters and made them talk to each other, then billed for that time.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yesterday I made fake forum accounts for Jurassic World characters and made them talk to each other, then billed for that time.

You mean the dinosaurs right?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I am so excited

I have discovered what to do my final year of university in LA (landscape architecture)

Environmental psychology - making and improving public areas and spaces to improve the quality of life, health, mental well being, persecption of people in and around the area.

So excited!

Liiya on
  • Options
    @Tynic are you enjoying the hot weather. I have nearly disintegrated twice.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

In a just universe, there would have been a rain of balloons, streamers and confetti falling from above, plus a banner unfurling to reveal some kind of congratulary slogan, as soon as you clicked post.

I'm putting my notice in as soon as I can get a meet and greet up in Denton for an apprenticeship through a friend of my late stepdad since all of the nepotism contacts I have apparently don't have the time to return calls.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jurassic-World-Example.png

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

...hot? Where?

(Also it's barely hitting 23 down here, I'm still taking a jacket everywhere).

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Heard around the office today:

Person 1: Wow there's a lot of guys requesting name changes today
    Person 2: Yup
    Person 1: I wonder why that is?
    Person 2: ...wait for it
    Person 1:
    Person 2:
    Person 1: ooooooh

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »

...hot? Where?

(Also it's barely hitting 23 down here, I'm still taking a jacket everywhere).

It is 28/9 degrees in Manchester!! Plus I am bang in the city centre nearly so it is a heat bubble.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I wonder what dunderhead made these envelopes that explicitly say "Do Not Seal" and then added that sticky-when-wet patch on the back that enables inmates to seal them.

This discussion has been closed.