As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    I don't doubt its going to sell well enough to warrant sequels; but I'm talking about company floater (since people are talking about BioWare having needed this). I guess the point is moot since they were bought out, but I'm just wondering how successful people expect this title to be - quality of the title aside.
    If a game sells well enough to warrant sequels, that should be a pretty damn good indicator that it sold well enough to keep the company in business. People don't generally make sequels of games that didn't make them any money, yeah?

It's funny, but there are quite a few blockbusters coming that I've seen people question. Saying "Do you really think this is going to sell? It's a crowded time!". The last one I remember being Bioshock, which did quite well.

It leaves me thinking... if it's so crowded but all of the actually good games are going to hypothetically be ignored by the public, what exactly is making it crowded?

Isn't the reason the holiday season is crowded BECAUSE of Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Guitar Hero/Rock Band ect?

I'm thinking that if Mass Effect is ignored, the season just got a whole lot less crowded.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Since when does a company give out one of its largest franchises like Sonic to a failing company?
    Maybe it was a charitable move since Sonic games aren't that popular anymore.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    I don't doubt its going to sell well enough to warrant sequels; but I'm talking about company floater (since people are talking about BioWare having needed this). I guess the point is moot since they were bought out, but I'm just wondering how successful people expect this title to be - quality of the title aside.
    If a game sells well enough to warrant sequels, that should be a pretty damn good indicator that it sold well enough to keep the company in business. People don't generally make sequels of games that didn't make them any money, yeah?

It's funny, but there are quite a few blockbusters coming that I've seen people question. Saying "Do you really think this is going to sell? It's a crowded time!". The last one I remember being Bioshock, which did quite well.

It leaves me thinking... if it's so crowded but all of the actually good games are going to hypothetically be ignored by the public, what exactly is making it crowded?

Isn't the reason the holiday season is crowded BECAUSE of Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Guitar Hero/Rock Band ect?

I'm thinking that if Mass Effect is ignored, the season just got a whole lot less crowded.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The season is crowded with big games like Mass Effect. I don't think they have too much to worry about.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Since when does a company give out one of its largest franchises like Sonic to a failing company?
    Or maybe they wanted to bring in a successful company to try and revitalize a failing franchise.

But, y'know, charity is a reasonable business motivation too.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't see a game like Rock Band affecting the sales of Mass Effect much at all, and it is possible for both Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect to do very well. It isn't like there are twenty high quality games coming out that same week.

Couscous on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually feel like every top notch game is going to do pretty well. If something gets snuffed by the crowd it might be Assassin's Creed, because it seems like the hype is dying from bad previews.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Or maybe they wanted to bring in a successful company to try and revitalize a failing franchise.

But Bioware wasn't owned by EA when they announced that they were working on it. I'm sticking with charity.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

But Bioware wasn't owned by EA when they announced that they were working on it. I'm sticking with charity.

Sonic is a pretty much dead franchise that Sega is desperate to revitalize.

Thats hardly charity.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait are people here actually of the belief that Bioware is struggling for cash.

Oh boy :D

The_Scarab on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EA doesn't pay $620 million dollars for a developer on the verge of collapse.

captaink on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

Shenmue and the Army Men games come to mind.

But that's a different tangent.

:-P

This is a silly argument. BioWare titles sell like fire. Always have. And if for some reason Mass Effect doesn't, they can stick it on the PC.
    Wait are people here actually of the belief that Bioware is struggling for cash.

All those hit games and fifteen years worth of hype and praise for nothing!

Sheep on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

You mean nine years? BioWare wasn't a big name until late 1998 when they released Baldur's Gate.

They were actually a pretty unknown developer that hadn't made a mark on much of anything until then.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »

You mean nine years? BioWare wasn't a big name until late 1998 when they released Baldur's Gate.

They were actually a pretty unknown developer that hadn't made a mark on much of anything until then.
    Retroactive praise.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    I actually feel like every top notch game is going to do pretty well. If something gets snuffed by the crowd it might be Assassin's Creed, because it seems like the hype is dying from bad previews.

what i think you'll see is a longer tail for these games. There'll be an initial spike at launch, but i imagine it won't be as high as a single big release, but will also sell at a higher-than-average rate over the next few weeks.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There is a very good chance I would have bought Assassin's Creed on launch if it wasn't coming out so close to Mass Effect. The two are almost a toss up, honestly, but I figure Mass Effect will be about a 100x longer game so I might as well buy it.

Accualt on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    There is a very good chance I would have bought Assassin's Creed on launch if it wasn't coming out so close to Mass Effect. The two are almost a toss up, honestly, but I figure Mass Effect will be about a 100x longer game so I might as well buy it.

that's how I'm feeling, except my decision has more to do with a lot more people being up in air on assassin's creed and my love of all things bioware.

edit - and mario galaxy comnig out the same day as AC.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited October 2007
    Edit: Reading comprehension++

Houk the Namebringer on
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Ha!

It's funny cuz it makes him sound stupid.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
    edited October 2007
    Children wrote: »

Ha!

It's funny cuz it makes him sound stupid.
    Look man, I already responded to his post with an intelligent and thoughtful response. Like I was saying in the EA thread awhile back, Bioware was in deep trouble and EA's just going to pick them up and eventually do away with them. You can look it up, that's exactly what I said.

(look it up)

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »

Rock Band and Mass Effect are my two 100% will buy day 1 in November games. At some point I will own CoD4, Assassin's Creed, and Kane and Lynch.

corin7 on
    edited October 2007
    Look man, I already responded to his post with an intelligent and thoughtful response.
    'Charity' is never an intelligent and thoughtful response when talking about corporations; especially when EA is supposed to be the charitable one.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited October 2007
    Look man, I already responded to his post with an intelligent and thoughtful response.
    'Charity' is never an intelligent and thoughtful response when talking about corporations; especially when EA is supposed to be the charitable one.
    I take it you didn't look up my posts in the EA thread. It all makes sense when you look at those.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    I take it you didn't look up my posts in the EA thread. It all makes sense when you look at those.
    No, I didn't. I don't have the time or inclination to cross-reference your posts to try and glean some sort of reasonable argument from multiple sources, when I can just comment on the obviously nonsensical statements in this single easy-access thread.

Besides, I've been assuming everything you've said here is all ironic and not serious at all, so there's no point in putting any real time or thought into it.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited October 2007
    No, I didn't. I don't have the time or inclination to cross-reference your posts to try and glean some sort of reasonable argument from multiple sources, when I can just comment on the obviously nonsensical statements in this single easy-access thread.

Besides, I've been assuming everything you've said here is all ironic and not serious at all, so there's no point in putting any real time or thought into it.
    Oh, well, that works.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    splash.jpg

MGS is very pleased to announce that Mass Effect has passed certification and has been released to manufacturing.

While it took a bit longer than we originally anticipated to complete this epic title, we are all very proud of the game and early reviews (9.75 from Game Informer, 95 from Consol.at, and Game of the Month from GamePro) show that others share our enthusiasm.

The_Scarab on
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woot?

Yay?

Huzzah?

I'm oddly unhyped for this game-to me bioware games being spectacular is the norm. :P

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Due to my media blackout on this I have managed to keep up for a few months I'm not really all that hyped for it really, especially compared to Mario Galaxy and Rock Band. I'm just going to buy it the day it comes out and hopefully all the awesome in it will kick the shit out of me.

bruin on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You two should probably check your pulses, then call a doctor. You may be dead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

I just haven't been paying attention to it (on purpose as not to get even a little spoiled) so I haven't been thinking about it at all. I'm still confident it's going to be an amazing game.

bruin on
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't been keeping tabs of this game, I know really little about it, but I'm still going to get it, and I'm sure it will blow me away.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

There's no point in hyping myself for it.

I'm aware it'll be a epic, glorious game; therefore there is no necessity to inflate my perception of it.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    This announcement would have made me a lot more excited were I to not have known it still wasn't coming out until November 20th and if I didn't already expect them to have gone gold this week or the next.

Oh well. It's still my most anticipated game of the decade. The only game I've been this excited about before was Half-Life 2 when it was first announced.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    November NPD is going to be an absolute shitstorm the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.

also, nov 16 is my birthday, get crysis on that date, 4 days later mass effect. glorious. fucking glorious.

booked the time off work too.

The_Scarab on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200404
    This is an ONLINE ONLY Limited Edition. This item WILL NOT be available in stores.
    man what, for once I want to preorder a game...

Mei Hikari on
    edited October 2007
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200404
    This is an ONLINE ONLY Limited Edition. This item WILL NOT be available in stores.
    man what, for once I want to preorder a game...

God, I hope they ship it before the 20th.

I think I'm going to preorder that, but I'm incredibly hesitant.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SHIT. assassin's creed, then crysis, then mass effect

tyrannus on
    edited October 2007
    My social life will suffer in November, this is something I have accepted as fact

bruin on
  • SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wher is a link to the game informer 9.75 thing in the title? too many pages.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
    edited October 2007
    Smilingoat wrote: »
    wher is a link to the game informer 9.75 thing in the title? too many pages.

It's not online yet, you need to buy the magazine

bruin on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I just haven't been paying attention to it (on purpose as not to get even a little spoiled) so I haven't been thinking about it at all. I'm still confident it's going to be an amazing game.

I've avoided it too, besides looking at release date. I managed to stay unexcited for a while, but I got to the point where the release date is constantly in site on my rainlendar, and it's torture.

I get galaxy the week before to keep me occupied but I could use something sooner.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.