As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unreal Tournament 3: PC demo out now!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    holy crap this is so much better without the depth of field on

Also a couple corrections I think:

-Open UTGame.ini and scroll down to [SystemSettings]. - UTGame should be UTEngine

--Scroll down to where it says [UTGame.UTDeathMessage] and set "bNoConsoleDeathMessages" to True. - it's already true (disabled), should be False

Brolo on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The measured CPU score was in there. I scored a 703.734985. I'm sure that is pretty bad because I only have a single core.

FreddyD on
  • DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    The measured CPU score was in there. I scored a 703.734985. I'm sure that is pretty bad because I only have a single core.

It seems that lower is better then. My CPU score (UTEngine.ini, very bottom) is 467.049194, on a Core 2 Duo e6600.

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I seem to be the only one who likes the post processing effects. Especially on Shangila, the map is very cool. I don't knowm, for me, it works well with the fantasy asian setting.

Drool on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one who likes the post processing effects. Especially on Shangila, the map is very cool. I don't knowm, for me, it works well with the fantasy asian setting.

Yeah, but the bloom is a bit overpowering at first.

So how many of us are going to be getting this on launch?

Also, having played with bots for a good while, I think my twitch skills have been improving. Any chance we can all get together again and do some more crazy shit?

EDIT: Also, I kind of wish they threw in some basic Mutators, like infinite ammo, extra speed. etc.

Also, that fucking Announcer just knows what to say to put a smile on my face...

Lucky Cynic on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I am absolutely getting this on launch day.

Urian on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, I dunno. I love the way the game looks with the bloom and depth of field stuff and just everything about it. The art style is different (I didn't play a lot of Gears of War so it's still new to me) but it's not bad at all. I think I'll definitely pick this up on or around launch day.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Has this seen a wider release yet? I don't have a FP account, and... am both too lazy and cheap to bother getting one at the moment.

UT99 and UT2K4 are among my favourite games of all time. I just wish the Assault community was as good with 2K4 as it was with 99. Assault - Sunspire is one of my favourite maps.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • GadeusGadeus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been playing the demo off and on for a couple days, and I really am enjoying it. I haven't played an UT, but the pacing is absolute insanity for me. Everything moves so fast, it's difficult to land shots. Also, it's really weird going from slow Gears to a similar looking game that is frantic.

Gadeus on
    Brawl Code: 2105-8329-7282
    edited October 2007
    I'll be grabbing this when it comes out. I'm a whore for UT and have been since the original. I didn't play 2k4 for a super long time, but I had a lot of fun with it for a couple months.

Also kinda related, I'll be grabbing Gears of War on 11/6 so if anyone want's to play some co-op or any of the other multiplayer modes that should be fun. That is if anyone else here is getting it. I remember drooling over that game last Christmas and almost considered buying a 360 to play it. Then I told myself, "it will come out on PC, it's an Epic game." I'm glad I was patient becuase the previews I've read have been positive, or everyone is lying.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Has this seen a wider release yet? I don't have a FP account, and... am both too lazy and cheap to bother getting one at the moment.

UT99 and UT2K4 are among my favourite games of all time. I just wish the Assault community was as good with 2K4 as it was with 99. Assault - Sunspire is one of my favourite maps.

I got it from Filefront. Much better d/l speeds anyway.

Drool on
  • GadeusGadeus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also kinda related, I'll be grabbing Gears of War on 11/6 so if anyone want's to play some co-op or any of the other multiplayer modes that should be fun. That is if anyone else here is getting it. I remember drooling over that game last Christmas and almost considered buying a 360 to play it. Then I told myself, "it will come out on PC, it's an Epic game." I'm glad I was patient becuase the previews I've read have been positive, or everyone is lying.
    Gears of War is one of my favorite games, so much so that I'm considering purchasing a PC copy on release despite having the 360 version. I really want to play Gears without the online lag that the 360 version constantly has.

Gadeus on
    Brawl Code: 2105-8329-7282
    edited October 2007
    Gadeus wrote: »
    Gears of War is one of my favorite games, so much so that I'm considering purchasing a PC copy on release despite having the 360 version. I really want to play Gears without the online lag that the 360 version constantly has.

If that's the case I would probably wait to see how the online pans out. They are using Windows Live for it, so yeah D:. But it probably won't be much worse than the Gamespy crap UT has always used.

Drool on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll be grabbing this when it comes out. I'm a whore for UT and have been since the original. I didn't play 2k4 for a super long time, but I had a lot of fun with it for a couple months.

I'm planning on getting it, and will probably be looking for someone to co-op with. Unfortunately, a combination of time, location, and a currently not-too-reliable net connection probably aren't going to be conducive for that, at least for the time being. :mrgreen:

You got XP or Vista? Vista isn't necessary, but if you've got it you should have access to Live, which means friends lists and stuff. Should make it easier for you to schedule multiplayer with people (although I can't see that being too much of a problem anyway).

I'm hoping it'll get a decent multiplayer community, but personally, I'm not too interested in it for anything other than the co-op. That might change once I actually try the multiplayer of course.

In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to Gears PC.

subedii on
    edited October 2007
    I have XP, so none of the friends lists and stuff work unless you have Vista?

Anyway back to the UT3 demo, when I first started playing it I murdered everyone on the server. I think a lot of people playing either hadn't played a UT game or hadn't played one in a long time.

It seems a lot more UT players have the demo now because I get smoked in several of the dedicated servers every time I join them.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    I don't do online gaming... yet. This is my first PC UT game. But playing against bots has it's moments. I don't just go out for the flag though. Instead, I try and act as a good sniper first. Then try and do real good with the scorpion, try and use the artillery vehicle, etc. I'm getting quite good, I think.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    I don't do online gaming... yet. This is my first PC UT game. But playing against bots has it's moments. I don't just go out for the flag though. Instead, I try and act as a good sniper first. Then try and do real good with the scorpion, try and use the artillery vehicle, etc. I'm getting quite good, I think.

Seriously dude just go online and check it out. You might be humbled, but playing with humans is 10X better then against bots.

Drool on
  • liuzg150181liuzg150181 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My verdict on the demo: Deal sealed,I'm gonna buy UT3.:P
    Very 'adrenaline-rush' fast-paced FPS game,and thus different styles of gameplay from ET:QW(which is more slower pace & IMO is more tactical),though I think I would enjoy both games.

liuzg150181 on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In related UT3 news...

From Epic's Ryan Gordon's finger...
    icculus wrote:
    UT3:
    Linux server for the beta demo now available:
    http://icculus.org/news/news.php?id=4084

This is not the client. That is still being worked on and will be released later. We haven't forgotten all you Mac and Linux gamers, honest.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited October 2007
    More companies should support Linux. It seems to be profitable for Epic and ID.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    New Single Player trailer up on GT. Looks like they are doing a good job to actually make it a fully fledged campaign, and not just a seemingly random series of fights between bots that increasingly gets harder.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27164.html

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    I think it's cool that Malcolm has become sort of a status symbol of the series. He's been in every UT and aging as the series has been going along, always the head of Thundercrash, and now by this stage he's some sort of General type figure. Considering that really the characters were all throwaway models, it just seems fitting that the guy who's always been on the box is seen as a sort of series symbol now, even if he's not the main character.

subedii on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, a actual singe-player campaign with a storyline (albiet however trite) in a UT game. How bizarre is that?

Zxerol on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Wow, a actual singe-player campaign with a storyline (albiet however trite) in a UT game. How bizarre is that?

Before anyone gets their hopes up for a promising SP campaign like Gears or something, it is basically just multiplayer modes and maps with a whole bunch of backend stuff.

Im not saying it will be bad, far from it. Should be ace. But its not a 'Single player' as most people think of it. Its definitely more 'arcadey'

The_Scarab on
    edited October 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »

Seems very 'Gears' in style (in terms of dialogue and general style), or at least that's the impression I got from the trailer. Understandable really, the two even look practically identical. If you suddenly saw Marcus in a UT3 deathmatch you probably wouldn't even blink.

Actually there's a thought, how long do you reckon before someone ports Marcus over from Gears PC into UT3? Or ports some models and stuff from UT3 into Gears?

I'd give it about a week, maybe two tops.

No I won't eat anything so go away titmouse.

subedii on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I kinda liked UT2k4's take, where it was an interstellar sport.

This... I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I'll give it a try.

MechMantis on
    edited October 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I kinda liked UT2k4's take, where it was an interstellar sport.

This... I'm not sure if I'll like it, but I'll give it a try.

It's still an interstellar sport. The tournament is still happening, this is the same universe, it's just that the Necris and the NEG are having a throwdown and the storyline seems to be focusing on that somehow.

subedii on
    edited October 2007
    Exactly. I WANT BLOODSPORTS, NOT WARS.

However, who's this "fallen hero"?

The one of Unreal 1 fame?'

Or is it a random person?

MechMantis on
    edited October 2007

Random person. Basically the story goes that Gruff McGlassGargler had his mining colony invaded by the Necris Phayder. And while he bavely and valiantly fought back, along with the other heroic space miners who appear to have all had steroid injections and been fed nothing but raw cows since they were three years old, nonetheless the Necris promptly killed all his loved ones, his family, his friends, and shot and ate his pet dog wiffles.

And now he's a MAN, a man on the EDGE, with a MISSION, out for REVENGE.

So yeah, expect some real Shakespearian stuff to go down here.

subedii on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    subedii wrote: »

Random person. Basically the story goes that Gruff McGlassGargler had his mining colony invaded by the Necris Phayder. And while he bavely and valiantly fought back, along with the other heroic space miners who appear to have all had steroid injections and been fed nothing but raw cows since they were three years old, nonetheless the Necris promptly killed all his loved ones, his family, his friends, and shot and ate his pet dog wiffles.

Wherefore art thou blaster

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    this is unreal

the story will suck

however
    playing single player should be very fun

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
    edited October 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

Would not a Plasma Rifle, by any other name, still melt thine face fully off?

subedii on
    edited October 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

Would not a Plasma Rifle, by any other name, still melt thine face fully off?

Oh shit. SIGGED.

MechMantis on
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This actually looks pretty awesome. Same gameplay, but with a story and cinematics. Sweet.

Reaper's face is like Marcus, Dom, and Baird from Gears all rolled into one.

Stasis on
    edited October 2007
    They said that there will be boss fights and scripted sequences to change up the Single player so that it isn't just, "Oh shit, necris warz, lawl. Also, these mutators are on and you have 5 lives."

I am not getting my hopes up, but I do want the single player game to serve several purposes. First, it's got to teach me how to play really well. How to get used to all the vehicles and new content and become proficient with them as well as some of the maps. Next, how about some awesome eye candy? From the trailer, it looks to deliver. Finally, I want to pull a "Gabe" and congratulate my bot teammates.

Also, in case you guys don't remember, they said it would probably have 4 man online co-op for Single player. So it should be pretty awesome.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited October 2007
    Also, in case you guys don't remember, they said it would probably have 4 man online co-op for Single player. So it should be pretty awesome.

Wow, never heard that one.

Could be awesome but it really depends on how the singleplayer game is played out. I can only really see 4-player coming through in something far more structured than even the standard Onslaught / Warfare type maps. Otherwise it's just you and some friends playing a botmatch, something that we've pretty much had since UT.

subedii on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah Epic basically said the story won't rival Gears or anything (not that Gears had an amazing story), but that it will be more story based than any UT game yet. Basically levels that are more then just ladder matches, with cinematics, boss fights, and other cool shit.

The best part I think will be the 4 player online co-op. I'm a total sucker for co-op games so with Gears and UT3 shipping next month we'll have more co-op campaigns to play through then we've had in a long time on the PC. So yeah, it should be fun.

Drool on
    edited October 2007
    Yeah Epic basically said the story won't rival Gears or anything (not that Gears had an amazing story), but that it will be more story based than any UT game yet. Basically levels that are more then just ladder matches, with cinematics, boss fights, and other cool shit.

The best part I think will be the 4 player online co-op. I'm a total sucker for co-op games so with Gears and UT3 shipping next month we'll have more co-op campaigns to play through then we've had in a long time on the PC. So yeah, it should be fun.

Too right. We usually get a dearth of co-op campaigns, so I'm really looking forward to Gears.

What I've also been hoping for a while now is that some enterprising modders will create a 4-player co-op campaign for Gears (or possibly just allow 4-player drop in on some scenes from the game where the whole squad is there). But hopefully this will be just as good.

subedii on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The story mode of UC2 was stupid but also totally awesome which is what I'm looking for here and looks like I'm getting.

Score?

august on
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    The story mode of UC2 was stupid but also totally awesome which is what I'm looking for here and looks like I'm getting.

Score?

So what was the story there? Were you out for REVENGE? Were you, at any point, brung low or heretofore hard done by your enemies?

subedii on