As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gethodosian Walls of Cons[chat]inople

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Also C# is rubbish for games. Garbage collection in general is rubbish for games. Games must use and release memory deterministically, that cleanup needs to be explicitly invoked and take a consistent amount of time so that it can be tuned for smooth operation. This gets even harder with the tight tolerances of a mobile platform. Garbage collected languages are just really bad for that. Look at minecraft. It's worth billions, it's owned by Microsoft, and it runs like shit. There's nothing they can do about it because it's written in Java.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    personally i think c## is the best

i like c(‿ˠ‿)

I use C♭ usually.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    is c# that different from c++
    it seemed like the same thing + ~*microsoft*~ from the tiny bit i've done

totally different thing

C# started as Microsoft making Java better with a more efficient type system. Since then it has evolved enormously to be pretty much the slickest programming language in common use. It uses a managed memory system with a garbage collector and in syntax is now more like C++11 (or rather, C++11 is getting more like C# which led the way).

A few years back it picked up everything worth having from functional programming as well.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Nah, C♭♭ is better.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also C# is rubbish for games. Garbage collection in general is rubbish for games. Games must use and release memory deterministically, that cleanup needs to be explicitly invoked and take a consistent amount of time so that it can be tuned for smooth operation. This gets even harder with the tight tolerances of a mobile platform. Garbage collected languages are just really bad for that. Look at minecraft. It's worth billions, it's owned by Microsoft, and it runs like shit. There's nothing they can do about it because it's written in Java.

You know a total rewrite is in process at Microsoft, probably based loosely off of the mobile / iOS version.

It has to be.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

You know a total rewrite is in process at Microsoft, probably based loosely off of the mobile / iOS version.

It has to be.

it has to be, and yet...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @STATE OF THE ART ROBOT

Add me as a friend. Mazzyx since I am creative.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Eddy wrote: »
    Considering buying Elite:Dangerous

*imagine that the germans are advancing on our bridge, that i've been mortally wounded, and that i'm firing pistol rounds in despair at a tank*

you have to play it and live a long space life .... for me ... earn ... this ....

and now, i die

If you're dead in this scenario, can I have your copy?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Nah, C♭♭ is better.

Nah, C.U.P.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    C# is actually quite good for games. The .NET compact framework, which was what ran on the xbox 360 and windows phone 7+8, was rubbish for games.

The problem with .NET compact is it had the simplest possible garbage collector. I'll take a really good GC over the skills of just about any C or C++ programmer any day in terms of effecient use of resources and knowing when to allocate and delete.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    sometimes i worry that because i don't have strong feelings about things i'm a garbage programmer
    then i remember i don't have to worry

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Weird.

Super weird.

i literally can't access page 17 of this thread.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    If anybody missed coup/reformation/whatever kickstarters then they are going to be putting some extra stock of the kickstarter editions up for sale on amazon

Thanks for this, I've been meaning to pick up Coup for awhile, and grabbing the Kickstarter edition of the base game and the expansion is pretty sweet.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    sometimes i worry that because i don't have strong feelings about things i'm a garbage programmer
    then i remember i don't have to worry

Do you not worry because you know you're garbage or...

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Eddy wrote: »

It has to be.

it has to be, and yet...

I'll go further.

It's probably what is driving that slick Minecraft AR demo they did.

The biggest hurdle to ever releasing it is not the feasibility of them making a C coded version of the game (they already have, on iOS). It's not pissing off the modding community.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    actually i have a serious anime question

So Knights of Sidonia season 2 only aired in Japan right

it's not on Netflix in English yet?

I need a refresher on what happened last time

I should find it.

I really enjoyed the first season.

Also refresher.

There were robots.

Some sort of fight verse space cthullus.

Some sort ambiguous love triangle.

More robot fights.

yeah I remember THAT stuff MAZZY

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME! DO I LOOK LIKE P10?
    there was pee drinking and one of the characters is inexplicably a bear

• Options

It has to be.

I really doubt it. Minecraft is far more about its mod community than just about any other game. "Mods" in minecraft aren't just like horse armor but stuff like rewriting the entire server infrastructure to not suck (Minecraft Forge or Bukkit before it).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    if you want to see Microsofts hand on Minecraft look at the patch notes for anything after 1.8. You see a lot of phrases that never showed up in previous patch notes. Stuff like "security fixes" and "performance enhancements".

Java is a drag but even crappy languages can be made to sing with the right people.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

It has to be.

I really doubt it. Minecraft is far more about its mod community than just about any other game. "Mods" in minecraft aren't just like horse armor but stuff like rewriting the entire server infrastructure to not suck (Minecraft Forge or Bukkit before it).

Which begs the question: will there ever be a Minecraft 2? Is there any value whatsoever in starting a new game as opposed to just infinitely extending the current one?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Hello all I am ill

it may be a migraine I am not sure

regardless everything hurts and I am one wrong shift from throwing up aaaaaaaah

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    "STATE OF THE ART ROBOT"

Add me as a friend. Mazzyx since I am creative.

Will do!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    My sisters
    Hello all I am ill

it may be a migraine I am not sure

regardless everything hurts and I am one wrong shift from throwing up aaaaaaaah

dont you worry dont you worry child
    see heaven's got a pla- *pukes everywhere*

Bless your heart.
  • Options

It has to be.

Which begs the question: will there ever be a Minecraft 2? Is there any value whatsoever in starting a new game as opposed to just infinitely extending the current one?

I think it is far more likely to see continued development of Minecraft over time than a Minecraft 2. It's in rather the same position as WoW in that respect.

This is just my guess of course. I don't have any inside knowledge on the subject at all.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    actually i have a serious anime question

So Knights of Sidonia season 2 only aired in Japan right

it's not on Netflix in English yet?

I need a refresher on what happened last time

I should find it.

I really enjoyed the first season.

Also refresher.

There were robots.

Some sort of fight verse space cthullus.

Some sort ambiguous love triangle.

More robot fights.

yeah I remember THAT stuff MAZZY

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME! DO I LOOK LIKE P10?
    there was pee drinking and one of the characters is inexplicably a bear
    @hakkekage i think i hit the key elements

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    If anybody missed coup/reformation/whatever kickstarters then they are going to be putting some extra stock of the kickstarter editions up for sale on amazon

where'd you see this?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Thanks for this, I've been meaning to pick up Coup for awhile, and grabbing the Kickstarter edition of the base game and the expansion is pretty sweet.
    I recently got to try out Coup Reformation, which adds a couple more things to default Coup:
    1) Alliances and the ability to shift alliances
    2) Inquisitors, which replace Ambassadors, which allow you to look at one card in another person's hand and optionally force them to swap that card from the court deck.

I'm a fan! I loved Coup before, but I liking the changes in Reformation.The alliance rules add an awesome extra dimension to the game, with emergent strategies that flesh out Coup's main mechanic. People were using alliance switching to defend themselves from an incoming Coup, and also using it offensively to "mark" a target for attack, which adds a lot more agency to the game. The Inquisitors solve one of the complaints from my co-workers about the game, that it's really difficult to deduce information about someone else's hand in large player counts (it's one thing to know that there are only 2 Dukes in a 4 player game, but in a 10 player game, there are 5 out there...).

The additional rules are ideal for large player counts. We played 8-10 players, and that's when regular Coup starts to become unwieldy and we switch to The Resistance or Masquerade. With Reformation rules, it felt like it had enough meat for that large player count.

The alternate art for Coup Reformation is FANTASTIC, by the way.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i dunno if i'd pay another $15 for minecraft i've only gotten like six years out of it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Weird.

Super weird.

Avast thinks yall doin' something funky.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    one possible way there could be a Microsoft written Minecraft 2 is if it started out of the gate with something that Mojang had been promising and failing to deliver for literally years now: a fully fleshed out modding API.

It would take a lot of first party push behind it but that could in theory work. And anyone worried about it being windows exclusive needs to look at what Microsoft has been doing the last couple years. I could see not bothering to support linux (cause seriously, who fucking cares) but Mac support and mobile support would be there via stuff like Xamarin.

edit: there was an article just the other day about the dev team who does minecraft on the PS3 saying they have seen no signs of their services being discontinued

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's that.

• Options
    someone probably hotlinked something from a shady website but yes my antivirus was complaining about page 17 too
    (psst this is why you always reupload stuff to imgur it takes 2 seconds)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

where'd you see this?
    Here's the link I got:

* Reformation Kickstarter Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Boards-Cards-Reformation-Kickstarter/dp/B00KV1DVU4
    * Coup & Reformation Kickstarter Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Boards-Cards-Reformation-Kickstarter/dp/B00KV1DXC0
    * Dragon Slayer Kickstarter Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Boards-Cards-Kickstarter-Edition/dp/B00O80JKHW
    * Flash Point Fire Rescue: Extreme Danger Kickstarter Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Danger-Flash-Point-Kickstarter/dp/B00FJR7OB2

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    someone probably hotlinked something from a shady website but yes my antivirus was complaining about page 17 too
    (psst this is why you always reupload stuff to imgur it takes 2 seconds)

Who has two seconds to burn when they could be refreshing chat.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I recently got to try out Coup Reformation, which adds a couple more things to default Coup:
    1) Alliances and the ability to shift alliances
    2) Inquisitors, which replace Ambassadors, which allow you to look at one card in another person's hand and optionally force them to swap that card from the court deck.

I'm a fan! I loved Coup before, but I liking the changes in Reformation.The alliance rules add an awesome extra dimension to the game, with emergent strategies that flesh out Coup's main mechanic. People were using alliance switching to defend themselves from an incoming Coup, and also using it offensively to "mark" a target for attack, which adds a lot more agency to the game. The Inquisitors solve one of the complaints from my co-workers about the game, that it's really difficult to deduce information about someone else's hand in large player counts (it's one thing to know that there are only 2 Dukes in a 4 player game, but in a 10 player game, there are 5 out there...).

The additional rules are ideal for large player counts. We played 8-10 players, and that's when regular Coup starts to become unwieldy and we switch to The Resistance or Masquerade. With Reformation rules, it felt like it had enough meat for that large player count.

The alternate art for Coup Reformation is FANTASTIC, by the way.

I have played the base game on multiple occasions and enjoyed it tremendously every time. I do like it better as a game for fewer players; I have Resistance if there's a large group, but that is a rare situation for me these days anyway.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Weird.

Super weird.

Man you're missing out. Bizarro Stormy's true identity was revealed!
    For real spoilers
    Turns out he's Bizarro Stormy

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i dunno if i'd pay another $15 for minecraft i've only gotten like six years out of it

??

• Options

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Well that was a decent day.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

??

i make joke

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    today i spent much time thinking about archers in fire emblem and how they have been chronically bad but apparently in new fire emblem they are adding them to weapon triangle so perhaps they will have a purpose

This discussion has been closed.